Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

No more bike at my desk

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

No more bike at my desk

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-14, 04:52 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2494 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
Originally Posted by Newt Reno
and rent bike locking space.......I like your idea.
Does an International Prostitute need the extra pocket money? Invite others to lock up there for free! What a concept. The good Karma that will flow back from that will offset a lot of the bad ju-ju from the main gig. But... seriously... joint like that is prolly fairly spiffy and anal about appearances. The beater van... how long before Security impounds it with a half dozen employee bikes inside? My schtick might not be popular but it always takes the high road. Others, not so much.

H
Old 08-13-14, 06:47 PM
hueyhoolihan

Bikes: 8 ss bikes, 1 5-speed touring bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
i'm totally in sympathy with the OP. if they have a bike to Work Day, IMO, it's total BS that they forbid you to put that bike in that space. somebody needs to get their head on straight.

if i were you and secure financially or sure enough of my employment prospects elsewhere, i would make my case to the management in a thoughtful way, and make it clear that i was resigning if things didn't change.

i've voluntarily found new employment elsewhere when an employer made it too difficult for me to commute. it always turned out for the better in the long run too.
Old 08-13-14, 07:12 PM
alathIN

Bikes: Volagi Viaje (rando/gravel/tour), Cannondale Slice 4 (tri/TT), Motobecane Fantom PLUS X9 (plus tires MTB)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
You sound like a bright guy. Skilled in the use of words for communication and affect (sic). Given that, why should I have any sympathy for your predicament? You have gone out of your way to push every emotional button signalling your disgust and disappointment and entitlement. So...awwww... let's everybody say awwww. Yes, you had a nice little setup there. It sucks that that is going to change. Stop pouting on the Internet and update your resume and find another multi-national with a more progressive take on alternative transport. Or, if that is too challenging, do as others have suggested and modify the offered security options, or even bypass them completely. Work out your own storage and security arrangement. I mean... surely there are bike commuters who work for employers that do not even provide bike lockers? Ya think??

H
Whiny? Entitled? Self-righteous?

Pot, meet kettle.
Old 08-13-14, 07:59 PM
Newt Reno

Bikes: Raleigh Route 4.0

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree leisesturm, karma is a funny thing.
Old 08-13-14, 08:07 PM
J.C. Koto
apocryphal sobriquet

Bikes: 2008 Surly Long Haul Trucker "The Truckerino"

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
You sound like a bright guy. Skilled in the use of words for communication and affect (sic). Given that, why should I have any sympathy for your predicament? You have gone out of your way to push every emotional button signalling your disgust and disappointment and entitlement. So...awwww... let's everybody say awwww. Yes, you had a nice little setup there. It sucks that that is going to change. Stop pouting on the Internet and update your resume and find another multi-national with a more progressive take on alternative transport. Or, if that is too challenging, do as others have suggested and modify the offered security options, or even bypass them completely. Work out your own storage and security arrangement. I mean... surely there are bike commuters who work for employers that do not even provide bike lockers? Ya think??

H
PROTIP: You should consider moving the kitty's litterbox further away from your bowl of cheerios HTH HAND
Old 08-13-14, 08:40 PM
SeanBlader

Bikes: 2013 Specialized Tarmac SL4 Di2

Liked 6 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by gdhillard
I loved seeing my bike in my office. It helped me get through the day, and gave me perspective while I worked.
Indeed, it makes a nice sight coming back to my desk and knowing my badass bike is there being worth more than a few co-workers cars.

Originally Posted by lost_in_endicot
I guess it could be worse- they could of installed a rack in front of the building and said "there you go." Or not have provided anything.

Buy a lock, and hope for a locker. Or buy a cheaper bike- one that you feel more comfortable in locking up out of sight.
Ironically there is a rack but it's apparently in the back of the middle building. And no you cannot bring your own lock, and it's likely that they have extra keys for the lock that they assign you.

Originally Posted by bbeasley
Nice bike!

Add it to your home owner/renter's insurance with a deductible you can tolerate. Use the locker and enjoy that sweet ride.
Thanks. It is on my home owners insurance, but I should have to use MY insurance because of poor security on the company's part.

Originally Posted by CrankyOne
It's a liability issue and one you'll likely not get changed. If there is a fire drill (or real fire) or other emergency and someone either gets hurt by a bicycle in the way or is prevented from exiting in a timely manner, the company faces very considerable payouts that insurance will not cover. They also cannot likely allow it on a case by case basis and need to have a uniform policy. Sucks, but that's life.

Agree with above to write letters. Ask for safe secure storage. Note that parking space is costly to provide and that you're only asking for accommodation for you bicycle that will likely cost less. Also note the health savings from commuting. A study by Health Partners indicated that while the average employee costs about $250/mo in healthcare, those who regularly commute by bicycle cost less than $100. Maybe ask them to refund the $1800 you're not using.
That's why I took a picture. In case of fire, I'm sure my bike in it's current location is going to be a huge fire issue when someone needs to jump out of that 3rd story window. I do like the idea of writing a letter, but I don't think that will help, which is why I mentioned it was a multinational, big impersonal, anti-employee, etc. The national HR team does have a partership with one of those health maintenance companies, but they make it very difficult to track, apparently they want you to have 2 forms of proof that you actually did whatever exercise you are doing, like phone GPS with a fitbit, which doesn't help much on a bike. I'll look over their system again to see if they cater to commuters.

Originally Posted by Leebo
Get a beater van, tow/ push/ drive it to the parking lot and leave it there. Put some serious poles/ bolts/ fixtures inside. Lock bike inside.
That's such an awesome idea, but then you're paying for insurance, and registation, and getting it smogged in California every few years. It's an aweful lot of hassle to compensate for poor company policy.

update your resume and find another multi-national with a more progressive take on alternative transport.
Please send me your email, company, and job requirements, and I'll get you my resume.

Thanks for the support and idea's everyone. I have another alternative backup plan as well, where I plan to put my bike ON my desk, there's surely enough room behind the monitors, or if that isn't as effective I can hang it from the partition next to my desk too. On top of which, I have actually mentioned it to my boss so as not to surprise him one day when I am physically blocked from entering the buidling with my bike, where I will literally turn right around and cycle home. He's a lot more understanding than facilities.
Old 08-13-14, 09:55 PM
CbadRider

Bikes: Specialized Allez, Specialized Sirrus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Does an International Prostitute need the extra pocket money? Invite others to lock up there for free! What a concept. The good Karma that will flow back from that will offset a lot of the bad ju-ju from the main gig. But... seriously... joint like that is prolly fairly spiffy and anal about appearances. The beater van... how long before Security impounds it with a half dozen employee bikes inside? My schtick might not be popular but it always takes the high road. Others, not so much.

H
Thanks for your unique perspective on the OP's issue. Now that you've made your feelings clear, you can leave the thread.

CbadRider
Forum Admin

Forum Guidelines *click here*
Old 08-13-14, 10:00 PM
a1penguin

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 20 Posts
You know what I find that kind of pisses me off about this? You bike to work and the company SAVES on parking spaces and congestion (especially if you work at the big G) and they won't offer you a safe place to park your bike. Oh yes, even locked bikes get stolen. When they provide LOCKED and HUMAN MONITORED bike parking, then I'll feel it's justified. People don't get charged with a Grand Theft for stealing bikes.
Old 08-13-14, 10:16 PM
TransitBiker
contiuniously variable

Bikes: 2012 Breezer Uptown Infinity, Fuji Varsity

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
I say write a letter & make enough noise to possibly get policy change, but not enough to get you in trouble.

As for beater van, i vote company pay for a 20 foot shipping container & all the bikes can go in there, and also have lockup hardware in shipping container. Add lights, video monitoring, and there you go.

- Andy
Old 08-14-14, 06:07 AM
CrankyOne

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by joeyduck
I also like this idea. But is parking free or paid? The van will likely some sort of insurance to be stored.

The lockers probably give better access than a parking spot.
It is completely impractical and a pain in the arse. But it sends a message about how much space it takes to allow employees to store their cars vs a bike, how important it is to provide facilities for people who ride (and save the company money), etc.
Old 08-14-14, 08:13 AM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
You CAN"T use your own lock? That's crazy. A New York kriptonite heavy chain and shackle would give some peace of mind. Is there some kind of other storage area available? Warehouse, shipping/receiving? Or just regular office type space?
Old 08-14-14, 09:06 AM
Tundra_Man 
The Fat Guy In The Back

Bikes: '81 Panasonic Sport, '02 Giant Boulder SE, '08 Felt S32, '10 Diamondback Insight RS, '10 Windsor Clockwork, '15 Kestrel Evoke 3.0, '19 Salsa Mukluk

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 115 Posts
I do consulting work, which means I'm frequently working at different client offices for stints ranging from a month to several years. I've never worked anywhere that allowed people to bring their bicycle into the building. If I'm lucky there's a bike rack available. Most of the time I'm looking for an out-of-the-way spot to lock my bike to a tree or fence. For me, a cycle locker would be like Christmas morning. I'd bring my own lock and not worry about it.

I've had three bikes stolen in my life, but none of them were while I was at work. All three sucked to lose, but none of them were irreplaceable.
Old 08-14-14, 09:13 AM
RPK79
Custom User Title

Bikes: Fuji Roubaix Pro & Quintana Roo Kilo

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2863 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 14 Posts
Hang it on the wall and call it art.
Old 08-14-14, 09:30 AM
metz1295

Bikes: '97 Cannondale M500; '14 Specialized Secteur Compact; '21 Trek Roscoe 7

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
i would like to know how this is a security issue to have the bike at your desk. stairwells are another story as they pose a threat in case of a fire. in ohio, even the space where no one walks is required to stay clear. this is so there is room for first responders to work their equipment or stage for various emergencies.

back to your desk, it looks like you're tucked nicely away from the bike being in the way. however, this could also be a fire marshall issue. often, cube farms are designed so walkways are along the exterior walls. this allows easy to remember escape routes in case of fire. it also allows the windows to be used for escape. security may just be the muscle or messenger for keeping the way clear.

again, I would ask for explanation. if they can't give you a legitimate (meaning required by law or company policy) reason why you can't keep your bike at your desk, then I would keep moving up the ladder till someone can answer you or you win the battle. if your company is going to promote bike commuting by providing lockers, then they need to provide enough lockers for everyone who needs them or provide storage in the building.

IMO
Old 08-14-14, 09:50 AM
SeanBlader

Bikes: 2013 Specialized Tarmac SL4 Di2

Liked 6 Times in 1 Post
It's not Google. They have lots of office space and probably allow people to bring their bikes right to their cubicles. They are VERY bike friendly, so much so that they even have free campus loaner bicycles just so you can get between buildings. I'm just a fan, so it's one of only a few brand jersey's I'll wear and represent.

Originally Posted by Leebo
You CAN'T use your own lock? That's crazy. A New York Kryptonite heavy chain and shackle would give some peace of mind. Is there some kind of other storage area available? Warehouse, shipping/receiving? Or just regular office type space?
I actually have a New York Kryptonite chain, it's only 3 lbs lighter than the bike and is ridiculous to carry around in my bag it's so heavy. The security around this office for company stuff is super overbearing. In the morning I have to go through 3 RFID badged doors to get to the stairs. I believe some of that has to do with the medium security area for cafeteria employees, but that does not explain the lack of actual doors, we have revolving doors to get to the elevators, which are not bike accessible. There are normal doors next to those which you have special access to for bikers. That access is going away. But there is something like this: Organic Glass Pan Sliding Gate turnstile barrier (BHA812) - China ;sliding turnstile;sliding barrier, OEM/ODM that I can get my bike by, you just have to lift it over the sensor body at the bottom half so it doesn't think you're trying to bring someone through on your badge.

Originally Posted by Tundra_Man
I do consulting work, which means I'm frequently working at different client offices for stints ranging from a month to several years. I've never worked anywhere that allowed people to bring their bicycle into the building. If I'm lucky there's a bike rack available. Most of the time I'm looking for an out-of-the-way spot to lock my bike to a tree or fence. For me, a cycle locker would be like Christmas morning. I'd bring my own lock and not worry about it.

I've had three bikes stolen in my life, but none of them were while I was at work. All three sucked to lose, but none of them were irreplaceable.
Sorry to hear about your three bikes. There's a bit more space for structures and parking in Silicon Valley, so the density is a lot lower than in other parts of the country, but even in more dense San Francisco the offices I've been in have space for you to put your bike in your cubicle. I have seen some game companies where the workspace is more dense, kind of precluding that option, but even then you can bet that management would make a few seconds effort to help you out.

Originally Posted by RPK79
Hang it on the wall and call it art.
That's a fun idea actually. There is this option: Get Clug I have a couple of those showing up, and wouldn't be averse to putting a hole in the wall to mount it to, heh. On the other hand, I have one of these: https://www.seasucker.com/shop/1187/ and I could literally mount it right to the window, that would be a little funny. I might just do that one day to mess with facilities. It's too bad the windows don't open, I'd mount it outside the building.
Old 08-14-14, 10:31 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Bring a Cheap van . and leave it in the parking lot, and then you have a private bike locker ..

Cinder blocks to replace the van wheels is optional..
Old 08-14-14, 11:02 AM
lost_in_endicot

Bikes: Electra Loft 7i, Fuji Crosstown 2.5, Gravity Liberty FB, Schwinn Voyageur

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Clug is a great idea. You could hang a jacket on your bike, and tell facilities it's a fancy coat rack.
Old 08-14-14, 11:10 AM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I used to be able to keep my bike in my office until my employer moved to a fancy new building. No bikes are allowed in the new building, probably for good reason due to slobs who would inevitably roll dirty, muddy bikes inside. At first I wasn't too happy with the change in situation, but adapted by buying a high quality lock and cable. I use a Kryptonite New York to lock my bike to the rack outside our building, and loop the cable through the front wheel and lock. I've been doing this now for nearly 3 years with no problems so far. I would still rather keep my bike inside my office, but realize that this is probably not an ideal situation for my employer and have made the best of it.
Old 08-14-14, 11:35 AM
phoebeisis
New Orleans

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
No I would not "complain" to your employer.
As others somewhat rudely pointed out-they are MUCH BETTER than average.
I would
1) Use my own lock -to "lock bike to itself"-and
2)Consider sort of motion detector alarm that texts you-make sure it isn't too sensitive.
3) Get a cheaper-used bike for the commute. There are PLENTY of CL bikes-under $500-that are very good quality.Heck plenty of DB CROMO rigid MTBs for under $200-just change tires-off you go.

Yeah I certainly wouldn't whine to my employer.
Usually big multinational corps are soooo impersonal that they usually DON'T retaliate because absolutely NO ONE really gives a Sh&$ about any employee complaint as long as it doesn't hit the news or cost them $$.No doubt they have a HR "persons" who are paid to "pretend" to give a Sh^%,
but why in hell would they??
But maybe just maybe they will kick your complaint sideways and downward to one of your immediate bosses-and he/she will "hold a grudge"

Yeah just work around it. Pretty unlikely your bike will get stolen-but your own lock for internal locking-thief annoyance so they can't easily ride it off+ motion sensor that "calls you"
or a cheaper bike will solve the problem.
Don't make waves-pointless-unless you are irreplaceable.
And your current employer is "better than most"-crummy economy

Last edited by phoebeisis; 08-14-14 at 11:48 AM.
Old 08-14-14, 11:54 AM
ericy
Señor Member

Bikes: Giant OCR2, Trek DS 8.3

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by tarwheel
I used to be able to keep my bike in my office until my employer moved to a fancy new building. No bikes are allowed in the new building, probably for good reason due to slobs who would inevitably roll dirty, muddy bikes inside. At first I wasn't too happy with the change in situation, but adapted by buying a high quality lock and cable. I use a Kryptonite New York to lock my bike to the rack outside our building, and loop the cable through the front wheel and lock. I've been doing this now for nearly 3 years with no problems so far. I would still rather keep my bike inside my office, but realize that this is probably not an ideal situation for my employer and have made the best of it.
Our building isn't fond of people bringing bikes into the building. I bring it in past the loading dock and then go up the freight elevator (if one can bring a palette jack on the elevator, I ought to be able to bring a bike). An officemate got stopped by someone from building management who told him that they didn't want bikes in the office suites, but he was coming in though the main door. She was somewhat sympathetic though - she looked at his bike and realized that he probably didn't want to leave it outdoors all day.

We do have a wave rack out next to the loading dock. I guess the thing that would be a nuisance is unclipping batteries, computers, lights, etc from the bike each time I park it. I guess that's a question for another thread - how much stuff do you leave on the bike if you have to lock it outdoors.
Old 08-14-14, 01:33 PM
DaveZ
DeadheadDave

Bikes: 1 Trek road bike, 1 Cannondale

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

H
What's your point?
Old 08-14-14, 02:08 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
It seems to me that a facility with bike boxes corporate issued locks would be more security conscious, probably more up-scale than most. I'd probably bring my own lock until someone called me on it, and not sweat it.

We have an open rack in the parking garage and I don't have any particular concern about it. A cheap cable lock, mostly for show. A coworker sometimes rides a nice Bottechia in and he's even more lax than I, locking one of his quick release wheels to the rack. The exact same wheels I'm using ... I wonder if he realizes that he's tempting someone to steal his bike and my wheel But there's objectively little risk, and I suspect even less risk for OP. Personally I'd just deal with it and lock up in the bike box without making waves, and if I didn't want to risk that I'd use the rain bike beater.

The beater van idea is somewhat facetious to make a point, but seriously OP you have more than one vehicle don't you? What's to stop you from parking one at work and putting the bike in the trunk?
Old 08-14-14, 02:44 PM
Chitown_Mike
That guy from the Chi

Bikes: 88 Trek 800 - gone to new cheeks; '14 Trek 1.2 - aka The X1 Advanced; '13 Trek 3500 Disc

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
My bike is happily parked out in our warehouse, however once the winter weather rolls around I'll probably be forced to come through the loading dock since I currently roll through the front door and offices. I don't think the upper management would like slush covered tires leaving tracks.

There was an issue for a while with our GM restricting access to a personnel door, after coming/going out the back 2x and getting flats both times I respectfully asked to use the door or he pay for my tubes. The door policy changed and I was told I could use the front door if I wanted. But this is at a small, family owned business of about 125 employees.
Old 08-14-14, 02:46 PM
Mr. Hairy Legs
Super-spreader

Bikes: shiny red tricycle

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1167 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 97 Posts
I started locking up outside in February when we moved to a different office. In some ways, it makes my life easier as I don't have to worry about rolling a dripping wet bike across the carpet, laying down a towel for it, etc. I also switched back to the backpack from panniers as I got sick of clipping and unclipping the things.

So far, so good.
Old 08-14-14, 03:02 PM
joeyduck

Bikes: 1997 Kona Hahana Race Light, 2010 Surly LHT(deceased), 1999 Rocky Mountain Turbo

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I used to not lock it up and store it in the warehouse, tucked away in a corner. They have since begun to frown on it (policy change in my two year absence) so I lock up outside; through the rear wheel and triangle to a telephone guide wire. My wheels have pin head locks, so I do not have to worry about them. I also feel safe leaving my lights and computer and saddle bag attached since our receptionist has a clear view of it all day and looks out for it. I can easily see it with a quick stretch of the legs and check on it once a day to ensure I have no slow leaks.

I would hate having to lock up outside and have to remove my lights and accessories everyday.

I actually find it easier to park outside, I do not have to wheel it up a ramp and through the warehouse. I can just ride up, park it, lock it and grab my panniers and walk to my desk. Plus it gives me an excuse to wander and get fresh air.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.