Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Wahoo Elemnt questions

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Wahoo Elemnt questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-18, 11:26 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
Originally Posted by MindTrip

From what I gathered it let's other riders know your whereabouts in real time and also alerts you when a segment is approaching and notifies you know if you set PR afterwards.
That's Strava Premium, not Wahoo.
Old 05-23-18, 11:30 AM
MindTrip

Bikes: '15 Cervelo S3 Trek Alpha 1.5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
That's Strava Premium, not Wahoo.
That's what I meant. I was reading from the Wahoo site. Carry on.

Old 05-23-18, 11:39 AM
WhyFi

That's what I meant. I was reading from the Wahoo site. Carry on.
Question: if you're just looking to DL/import a route without wifi access, why can't you just download it in your phone browser, navigate to the file and have the Wahoo app open/import it? I'm admittedly a Wahoo n00b, and maybe you're using a much slicker way of syncing that I'm not aware of, but I don't know why you couldn't do it this way in a pinch.
Old 05-23-18, 12:04 PM
OBoile

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 204 Posts
Question: if you're just looking to DL/import a route without wifi access, why can't you just download it in your phone browser, navigate to the file and have the Wahoo app open/import it? I'm admittedly a Wahoo n00b, and maybe you're using a much slicker way of syncing that I'm not aware of, but I don't know why you couldn't do it this way in a pinch.
It's simpler than that. I create the route in strava (I don't have premium). My phone's wahoo app syncs with strava and downloads the route pretty much as soon as I start the app. Then, when I turn on my computer near my phone, they sync up and I can use the route. I just pick the route in my phone, it transfers to the computer over bluetooth and I'm good to go.
Old 05-23-18, 12:36 PM
MindTrip

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Very good question. In RwGPS, the download feature requires me to use the paid version from my phone. The only option I have on the free version from my phone is to pin the route. From the laptop I can send to a device of my choosing (Elemnt, IPhone, Android,etc). Also a downfall of ios is the near absence of an adequate file manager.
Old 05-23-18, 12:37 PM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by OBoile
It's simpler than that. I create the route in strava (I don't have premium). My phone's wahoo app syncs with strava and downloads the route pretty much as soon as I start the app. Then, when I turn on my computer near my phone, they sync up and I can use the route. I just pick the route in my phone, it transfers to the computer over bluetooth and I'm good to go.
Sure, but he had specifically mentioned RwGPS (that he and a lot the people that he rides with use it) so I was intentionally talking about a method that's not platform dependent.
Old 05-23-18, 01:04 PM
WhyFi

Very good question. In RwGPS, the download feature requires me to use the paid version from my phone. The only option I have on the free version from my phone is to pin the route. From the laptop I can send to a device of my choosing (Elemnt, IPhone, Android,etc). Also a downfall of ios is the near absence of an adequate file manager.
Does the iOS web browser have a desktop mode? If so, can you DL from RwGPS with that? Unfortunately, I got nuthin' on the file manager side of things.
Old 05-23-18, 01:26 PM
RPK79
Custom User Title

Bikes: Fuji Roubaix Pro & Quintana Roo Kilo

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2863 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 14 Posts
Does the iOS web browser have a desktop mode? If so, can you DL from RwGPS with that? Unfortunately, I got nuthin' on the file manager side of things.
Maybe they need someone named BluTooth to help instead of WhyFi.
Old 05-23-18, 01:29 PM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by RPK79
Maybe they need someone named BluTooth to help instead of WhyFi.
Prolly.
Old 05-23-18, 01:53 PM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
Just looked at the ELEMNT app and there's a way to import a route that you physically downloaded to your phone and sync it to the ELEMNT. I'm not sure if that's exactly what was asked but throwing that out there.

I'd also add that you don't need the Premium RWGPS account in order to use RWGPS with Wahoo. You link the ELEMNT app with your RWGP *account* (not the app) and it auotmatically populates the ELEMNT app with RWGPS routes that you've created/copied.

This is important because RWGPS routes are one of the only types of routes that will give you turn by turn directions on the Wahoo. (I think the other one is Komoot or something, unless they've updated this recently).

Clear as mud?
Old 05-23-18, 03:16 PM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1872 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
Originally Posted by ksryder
Just looked at the ELEMNT app and there's a way to import a route that you physically downloaded to your phone and sync it to the ELEMNT. I'm not sure if that's exactly what was asked but throwing that out there.

I'd also add that you don't need the Premium RWGPS account in order to use RWGPS with Wahoo. You link the ELEMNT app with your RWGP *account* (not the app) and it auotmatically populates the ELEMNT app with RWGPS routes that you've created/copied.

This is important because RWGPS routes are one of the only types of routes that will give you turn by turn directions on the Wahoo. (I think the other one is Komoot or something, unless they've updated this recently).

Clear as mud?
Perfectly clear. And exactly what I did last night. I haven't tried yet but it also syncs your Strava routes, which I think have turn by turn too. But I gotta test that out to be sure still.
Old 05-24-18, 07:26 AM
OBoile

Originally Posted by shoota
Perfectly clear. And exactly what I did last night. I haven't tried yet but it also syncs your Strava routes, which I think have turn by turn too. But I gotta test that out to be sure still.
For Strava, it will beep at you when it thinks there is a turn coming. I think (but have never tried) it does more with RWGPS.
Old 05-24-18, 07:41 AM
WhyFi

Unless something has recently changed, Strava doesn't do turn-by-turn on Wahoos, which is why I'm trying out RwGPS. That said, I rode my first route, created with RwGPS, yesterday and I didn't see any cues other than beeps when I got off course. Maybe it was a page size thing? Or maybe I exported the wrong format? I dunno.
Old 05-24-18, 07:55 AM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
Unless something has recently changed, Strava doesn't do turn-by-turn on Wahoos, which is why I'm trying out RwGPS. That said, I rode my first route, created with RwGPS, yesterday and I didn't see any cues other than beeps when I got off course. Maybe it was a page size thing? Or maybe I exported the wrong format? I dunno.
When I first got it I created a route with RWGPS, downloaded the file and transferred it to my phone, and then synced it to my Wahoo. The turn-by-turn did not work. But when I linked the Wahoo app with the RWGPS account the turn-by-turn worked. Maybe that's it? Otherwise I dunno, but I will say that Wahoo support is pretty great and can get you sorted out quickly.
Old 05-24-18, 07:59 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by ksryder
When I first got it I created a route with RWGPS, downloaded the file and transferred it to my phone, and then synced it to my Wahoo. The turn-by-turn did not work. But when I linked the Wahoo app with the RWGPS account the turn-by-turn worked. Maybe that's it? Otherwise I dunno, but I will say that Wahoo support is pretty great and can get you sorted out quickly.
Cool, I'll give it a whirl. Thanks!
Old 05-24-18, 09:34 AM
MindTrip

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Maybe this is my problem. Typically I send to device or pin an existing route, then turn on my Bolt, navigate to routes and sync. I've never once opened the Elemnt app prior to syncing and only ever use the app to change what metrics display on the Bolt. Thanks.

Old 05-24-18, 09:50 AM
OBoile

Maybe this is my problem. Typically I send to device or pin an existing route, then turn on my Bolt, navigate to routes and sync. I've never once opened the Elemnt app prior to syncing and only ever use the app to change what metrics display on the Bolt. Thanks.

Yes, definitely try that. I'm sure that's the issue. Open the app, refresh the routes, then sync with your computer and pick the route in your phone. It should transfer to the computer in a few seconds. You don't actually have to pick it in the computer then if you're heading out right away.
Old 05-27-18, 03:03 PM
WhyFi

Did another ride on a route created with RwGPS. The first time, I selected the route on the Bolt. This time, I selected the route on the Wahoo app. Lo and behold, turn by turn notifications! I wouldn't have thought that selecting the route on the phone would have been necessary for the 'heavy lifting' of turn cues, but I guess that simply having the phone/Wahoo actively paired isn't enough.
Old 05-31-18, 12:36 AM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Recently got a Bolt.
This evening's ride according to Garmin 500: 14.72 miles, 13.5 mph, 394'.
According to Bolt: 14.3 miles, 13.1 mph, 357'.
Time same for both. No sensors on the bike.
Old 05-31-18, 05:19 PM
Glenn6870 

Bikes: 2022 Giant Revolt Advanced; 2017 Giant Contend SL2 Disc; 1997 Trek Singletrack

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 9 Posts
I map all my rides in RWGPS for the turn by turn. I always sync to the Elemnt via my Home Wirless to update. I start the Wahoo app on my phone before i start riding, but that’s only so that the Live Track will send to my wife my route. Otherwise,i hit start on the Elemnt and get all of my turn by turn cues. I never start the ride on the App. Not sure if the Bolt works differently than the Elemnt, but i’ve never had to start the ride in the app to get the turn by turn.

Old 05-31-18, 06:19 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Quoted: 3225 Post(s)
Liked 2,056 Times in 1,174 Posts
Originally Posted by woodcraft
Recently got a Bolt.
This evening's ride according to Garmin 500: 14.72 miles, 13.5 mph, 394'.
According to Bolt: 14.3 miles, 13.1 mph, 357'.
Time same for both. No sensors on the bike.
Interesting.

I used a Bolt for a few months, having used a Garmin 810 for a year prior, and a now Garmin 1000 for a year. I do a 27.4 bike commute (one way), and never really noticed that much variation between units. Maybe .2 or .3 miles or so. No sensors in my commuters.

I’d be curious what RWGPS says the distance is when you plot it.
Old 05-31-18, 08:30 PM
MindTrip

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, definitely try that. I'm sure that's the issue. Open the app, refresh the routes, then sync with your computer and pick the route in your phone. It should transfer to the computer in a few seconds. You don't actually have to pick it in the computer then if you're heading out right away.
Worked like a charm both Sunday and today. Thanks all.
Old 05-31-18, 08:58 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.

Interesting.

I used a Bolt for a few months, having used a Garmin 810 for a year prior, and a now Garmin 1000 for a year. I do a 27.4 bike commute (one way), and never really noticed that much variation between units. Maybe .2 or .3 miles or so. No sensors in my commuters.

I’d be curious what RWGPS says the distance is when you plot it.
rwgps says 15.3, 446'.

Curiouser and curiouser.
Old 06-01-18, 09:21 AM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1872 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
Originally Posted by woodcraft
rwgps says 15.3, 446'.

Curiouser and curiouser.
Did you stop a lot on your ride? Make sure that auto-pause is set to the same mph cut off for each. Otherwise, I honestly wouldn't worry about it, there can be a ton of variation in GPS data.
Old 06-01-18, 08:05 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Quoted: 3225 Post(s)
Liked 2,056 Times in 1,174 Posts
Originally Posted by shoota
Did you stop a lot on your ride? Make sure that auto-pause is set to the same mph cut off for each. Otherwise, I honestly wouldn't worry about it, there can be a ton of variation in GPS data.
This.