Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Foo
Reload this Page >

I hate bad people

Foo Off-Topic chit chat with no general subject.

I hate bad people

Old 03-14-19, 08:02 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2909 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 72 Posts
Originally Posted by Lemond1985 View Post
So you could deposit, and then withdraw, the same $20 bill, in and out of the ATM all day long? I gotta start banking there.
As long as you have sufficient funds to cover it. Banks don't take any changes. They are notoriously efficient about collecting funds, but take their own sweet time when it comes to dispersing them.

Originally Posted by Juan Foote View Post
With hindsight being what it is, I apologize that what I will suggest may sound snarky. I hate this happened to you.

Set up a PayPal or other online fund transfer system. I mention that one as it is quite popular. This way you can sell something without getting physical cash and make those transfers remotely without having to get out to a bank.
Any time I send something with any remote amount of value via USPS, I always ensure it and with money will typically register it as well. This provides you with tracking as well as verification of who got the package.
Just listening to what you say regarding this doesn't really add up, no offense. Without your leaving blank or writing "cash" on the payee line, it's nearly impossible to fake information on a modern money order original. I know that it is quite possible to fake the money order itself, as I have dealt with that but what are the chances that someone with that technology intercepted your particular letter? Even with organized operation of thieves within the parcel system, that would have been one lucky hit for them. Just the same, I would think it was someone who handled the letter or someone within the banking organization.
I would certainly go further into tracking who cashed it.

For future reference, don't use Western Union. As mentioned there abounds fake money orders under their brand due to them being so popular. I actually think you can use them to make transfers into a bank in the US, but that may depend on location as well.
Not that simple. There's a reason MO are still around. Lots of people don't have or want bank accounts for whatever reason. And as prehistoric as you might imagine, there are still many businesses, organizations, and institutions that won't accept payment any other way except through MO.

Last edited by KraneXL; 03-14-19 at 08:05 AM.
Old 03-14-19, 11:14 AM
General Geoff

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Cooper CX; 2007 Cannondale F4

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Lemond1985 View Post
So you could deposit, and then withdraw, the same $20 bill, in and out of the ATM all day long? I gotta start banking there.
You'd get a different $20 bill back, and you'd probably eventually exhaust the ATM's supply of withdrawal cash (deposit cash is held separately). But yeah. I don't know why you'd want to, though.
Old 03-14-19, 04:45 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 64 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL View Post
And as prehistoric as you might imagine, there are still many businesses, organizations, and institutions that won't accept payment any other way except through MO.
I never encountered any, now or in the past.
Old 03-14-19, 08:01 PM
KraneXL

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike View Post
I never encountered any, now or in the past.
I suppose you exist in a world far above mine. Lucky you. I even know of several businesses that wont take anything but CASH ONLY. Not even a cash card.

Maybe one day I'll be able to tell my landlord to take whatever method of payment I give him or leave it. But for now, its either his way or I join the legions of homeless living on the MIPs.
Old 03-14-19, 09:54 PM
clemsongirl 

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 168 Times in 64 Posts
The only money orders i’ve gotten (also, all the banks i’ve dealt with have had money orders as an option) had a carbon copy receipt with the information entered on the money order. That compared to the cashed one and then the endorsement is all you'd need for fraud/theft purposes.

eta..
And as prehistoric as you might imagine, there are still many businesses, organizations, and institutions that won't accept payment any other way except through MO.
that seems like an uninformed/exaggerated thing to write and more importantly a crazy business model.

Last edited by clemsongirl; 03-15-19 at 05:48 PM.
Old 03-15-19, 08:54 AM
Lucillle
Lucille

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by blue192 View Post
If you made the money order out to your credit union and have proof that the credit union did not cash it then file a police report. That is the legal definition of fraud.
This afternoon I will go to Moneygram and pay for a copy of the cashed money order so I can see how it was endorsed.
Old 03-15-19, 10:07 AM
mconlonx 
Str*t*gic *quivoc*tor

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 6991 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by blue192 View Post
If you made the money order out to your credit union and have proof that the credit union did not cash it then file a police report. That is the legal definition of fraud.
It's also, potentially, mail fraud (or more likely, theft) which is Federal in nature and something for which authorities take a very dim view. Since OP mailed it, I would advise them also to be in touch with the local postmaster...

Last edited by mconlonx; 03-15-19 at 10:51 AM.
Old 03-15-19, 10:44 AM
Lucillle
Lucille

Excellent advice, but again I am waiting until I get the photo of the signed money order.
Old 03-15-19, 12:35 PM
roadfix
hello

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by General Geoff View Post
The solution is to open an account with a bank that has a physical branch within walking or biking distance of your home.
At least an ATM that can take your cash deposit.
Old 03-15-19, 05:00 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Moto Fantom29 ProSL hardtail

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 60 Posts
1980s flashback. 😨 Nobody does that anymore. Gotta go with the bank...ahem, financial institution with the most perks. Seldom is that the local bank. Besides, haven't walked into a bank in decades, but I still remember waiting in those horrific long lines. No thanks Jeff.
'Nobody' does that anymore because most people have cars and credit cards and online access so it doesn't make any difference if they have a brick&mortar branch nearby. This example shows why if you don't drive, it's a good idea to have an account at a bank that is conveniently accessible by foot/bike.

Also ATMs do take cash deposits. I've never been brave enough to try it, but I've heard they work. I would have put more faith in mailing a MO to my bank though (before hearing this story).

The coolest thing is that most banks now accept check deposit from a smartphone picture of the check. Mindblowing! But I don't have a smartphone so I've never done it.
Old 03-15-19, 05:50 PM
Lucillle
Lucille

RubeRad I deposit all of my checks with my smartphone. But unfortunately my credit union does not include money orders on that deposit deal, only checks.
Old 03-15-19, 05:55 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

oh yeah, I didn't even think about depositing a MO with the same smartphone app.

Probably the more cash-y nature of a MO is why smartphone apps don't accept deposits of those by photo.
Old 03-15-19, 08:56 PM
KraneXL

Originally Posted by RubeRad View Post
'Nobody' does that anymore because most people have cars and credit cards and online access so it doesn't make any difference if they have a brick&mortar branch nearby. This example shows why if you don't drive, it's a good idea to have an account at a bank that is conveniently accessible by foot/bike.

Also ATMs do take cash deposits. I've never been brave enough to try it, but I've heard they work. I would have put more faith in mailing a MO to my bank though (before hearing this story).

The coolest thing is that most banks now accept check deposit from a smartphone picture of the check. Mindblowing! But I don't have a smartphone so I've never done it.
Have you forgotten about "banker's hours"? As I've said, some people are fortunate enough where all their monetary transactions can be handled through their financial institutional. But MO don't exist for no reason.

That means that for whatever reason, there is a niche of the population that still needs them, or prefer to use them over their banking institution.

There's also groups that don't have or believe/trust in banks, preferring to keep all their thousands in the mattress instead.
Old 03-16-19, 01:25 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

We agree -- not everybody can handle all their financial business online. OP does have a bank though, so I was advocating they choose a bank with location nearby.
Old 03-16-19, 01:43 PM
clemsongirl 

Banks don't sell MO
wrong

Maybe one day I'll be able to tell my landlord to take whatever method of payment I give him or leave it. But for now, its either his way or I join the legions of homeless living on the MIPs.
If you live in Ca., like your location says, the only reasons a landlord can REQUIRE a specific type of payment is if you’re behind in rent or have signed a lease that requires it.

would you please give more info on the many businesses etc. etc. that require only a money order as payment? like the many specific names.

There's also groups that don't have or believe/trust in banks, preferring to keep all their thousands in the mattress instead.
then they have no reason to complain about problems they have that could easily be resolved with having a bank account or simply using bank instruments of payment like Money Orders, Cashier/Travel checks etc.

Last edited by clemsongirl; 03-16-19 at 04:55 PM.
Old 03-16-19, 03:02 PM
ValentinaSmit
ValentinaSmit

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Our time is dangerous - there is a lot of deception around. Money transfers should be done only by trusted and well-known organizations. In any case, deception should be addressed to the police.
Old 03-16-19, 06:33 PM
KraneXL

Originally Posted by clemsongirl View Post
wrong
Correct. Services vary. Buts some don't.

If you live in Ca., like your location says, the only reasons a landlord can REQUIRE a specific type of payment is if you’re behind in rent or have signed a lease that requires it.
That's what he asked for, and that's what I give him. Federal law does not prevent it, and landlords have a lot of leeway if you want to live in their unit.

would you please give more info on the many businesses etc. etc. that require only a money order as payment? like the many specific names.
Why do you intend to do business there? A business can refuse cash because of employee theft or robbery. A business can require ONLY cash, because of credit card fees. Or they can require any other method of payment they choose for whatever reason.

then they have no reason to complain about problems they have that could easily be resolved with having a bank account or simply using bank instruments of payment like Money Orders, Cashier/Travel checks etc.
Anyone can complain about anything, anytime. That's how things get better. Before supermarkets wouldn't accept credit cards for grocery purchases, now they do. But some may not.
Old 03-16-19, 06:51 PM
Lucillle
Lucille

Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia View Post

Sorry that you got scammed. Unfortunately it happens all the time. It doesn’t make it right; it is just the way things are.

If I understand it correctly, you sold a bike for cash. Then you used the cash to buy a MO so you could deposit the MO to your Credit Union account. The MO was stolen and cashed and now you are out the proceeds from the sale of your bike. Right?

The situation sucks. Too bad your CU does not have local branches for you to directly deposit the money with them.
I love your post, it expresses my predicament exactly, and I appreciate the condolences. I have now paid Moneygram for a copy of the signed money order and am waiting on that. But there is a ray of sunshine. The thieves took the $ I was going to use to buy a recumbent, that made me very sad. Then out of the blue, I saw a nearby garage sale ad yesterday and ended up with a Bacchetta Giro 20 delivered to me for $250.
Old 03-16-19, 09:24 PM
clemsongirl 

KraneXL
1 “Correct. Services vary. Buts some don’t.”
what you actually wrote was wrong…. when people respond to the words you write that have no real thought, substance or truth there seems to be a pattern of defensive reactions, sometimes not factual either, in return on your part. I just decided to show it to you….hoping it’s a helpful lesson for you!!

2"That's what he asked for, and that's what I give him. Federal law does not prevent it, and landlords have a lot of leeway if you want to live in their unit."
What i wrote earlier is a fact and the law governing a Ca. landlord. Saying that Fed law does not prevent it is absurd as Ca. state law DOES.…..so instead of “either his way or I join the legions of homeless living on the MIPs.” you could always just educate yourself about the CA. landlord/tenant laws to be accurate in future posts.

3"Why do you intend to do business there? A business can refuse cash because of employee theft or robbery. A business can require ONLY cash, because of credit card fees. Or they can require any other method of payment they choose for whatever reason."
Same answer as #1

4 “Anyone can complain about anything, anytime. That's how things get better. Before supermarkets wouldn't accept credit cards for grocery purchases, now they do. But some may not."
you certainly do a lot of complaining…so i'll just refer you to my signature quote below

Last edited by clemsongirl; 03-17-19 at 02:20 AM.
Old 03-16-19, 10:14 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 775 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 98 Posts
People, people. None of this is this helpful to Lucille and her predicament.
Old 03-16-19, 10:16 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 775 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 98 Posts
Originally Posted by Lucillle View Post
I love your post, it expresses my predicament exactly, and I appreciate the condolences. I have now paid Moneygram for a copy of the signed money order and am waiting on that. But there is a ray of sunshine. The thieves took the $ I was going to use to buy a recumbent, that made me very sad. Then out of the blue, I saw a nearby garage sale ad yesterday and ended up with a Bacchetta Giro 20 delivered to me for $250.
Thank you. I am happy, as I am sure all of us are, that some good has come of this situation.
Old 03-16-19, 10:37 PM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 960 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia View Post

Thank you. I am happy, as I am sure all of us are, that some good has come of this situation.
Yup, I would say that Karma both saw that you learned a lesson and still came out with what you needed. Win. Glad to hear.
Old 03-16-19, 10:44 PM
clemsongirl 

Originally Posted by Lucillle View Post
]Then out of the blue, I saw a nearby garage sale ad yesterday and ended up with a Bacchetta Giro 20 delivered to me for $250.
Old 03-17-19, 02:52 PM
Lucillle
Lucille

Originally Posted by Juan Foote View Post
it's nearly impossible to fake information on a modern money order original.
Naturally I researched and this is what I found. There are two ways (I read) that thieves get cash from money orders. The first is to alter it and put their own name on it. How difficult this is I do not know, but an internet search shows that people do it. The second is that they sign it and endorse it to a friend, who then uses his own ID to cash the money order. Searching money order theft, one fince people stealing mail to try for a money order, and some articles say that thieves do this successfully a number of times before being caught, but it doesn't say how they catch them.
Old 03-18-19, 09:45 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

A business can refuse cash
I thought that was wrong, but I looked it up and the Fed says that is correct.

https://www.federalreserve.gov/faqs/currency_12772.htm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.