Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Are you a vegan?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Are you a vegan?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-19, 03:48 PM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
Oreos: vegan, carry well, calorie dense, come in many flavors, available everywhere, yummy
Old 05-23-19, 04:13 PM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
Originally Posted by Rob_E

The OP asked about eating. From that we can infer that, whatever else they might be, they are likely, also, a dietary vegan. That's all you really need to know to answer their question. You don't need to know if their saddle is leather or how they feel about the Kentucky Derby.
The OP asked “Are you a vegan?” and asked about eating. Kind of difficult to infer much from that. Didn’t even say whether he or she is a vegan.
Old 05-23-19, 04:28 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
Just think of how uneventful this thread would have been if the OP simply asked: "Does anyone eat a 100% plant-based diet on tour? What do you like?"
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Likes For ThermionicScott:
Old 05-23-19, 07:17 PM
johnnyace 
Le savonnier

Bikes: I can count 'em on one hand

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 729 Post(s)
Liked 602 Times in 274 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
you dont eat grains, beans, dairy, sugar, processed oil, anything with gluten, and rarely each corn or rice products.

So...its strictly meat, fruits, and veggies that are mostly unseasoned?
Not sure where you got the unseasoned part, we use plenty of seasoning, but yes, that's basically it: meat, fish, fowl, eggs, veggies, fruits, nuts, seeds. Veggies make up the bulk of it for us, however.

More info:
https://thepaleodiet.com/
https://www.marksdailyapple.com/
https://thepaleoway.com/

For those that believe they're doing themselves and the planet a favor by being vegetarian/vegan, I would encourage you to read "The Vegetarian Myth" by Lierre Keith.
Old 05-24-19, 10:13 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
Originally Posted by johnnyace
Not sure where you got the unseasoned part, we use plenty of seasoning, but yes, that's basically it: meat, fish, fowl, eggs, veggies, fruits, nuts, seeds. Veggies make up the bulk of it for us, however.

More info:
https://thepaleodiet.com/
https://www.marksdailyapple.com/
https://thepaleoway.com/

For those that believe they're doing themselves and the planet a favor by being vegetarian/vegan, I would encourage you to read "The Vegetarian Myth" by Lierre Keith.
The seasoning comment was based on many(most?) prepacked seasoning mixes and bottles having gluten as a result of a preservative or a preventative for caking. So on tour you would either carry a bunch of individual spices, or not season much.
Due to celiac in the family, our household is gluten free. I saw you mentioned that and was curious about seasoning since its limiting.
Old 05-24-19, 11:01 AM
johnnyace 
Le savonnier

Bikes: I can count 'em on one hand

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 729 Post(s)
Liked 602 Times in 274 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
The seasoning comment was based on many(most?) prepacked seasoning mixes and bottles having gluten as a result of a preservative or a preventative for caking. So on tour you would either carry a bunch of individual spices, or not season much.
Due to celiac in the family, our household is gluten free. I saw you mentioned that and was curious about seasoning since its limiting.
Oh yes, gotcha. True, most of that stuff has gluten, often in hidden form (modified food starch, anyone?). We make our own seasoning blends from bulk herbs.
Old 05-24-19, 12:02 PM
Rob_E

Bikes: Downtube 8H, Surly Troll

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 21 Posts
Dry beans and rice are relatively light and travel well. I don't tend to have the patience to cook them, but rice, beans, and vegetables can be found most places and can keep you going provided you have access to ample, clean water. My preferred meals for cooking in camp have become Tasty Bite meals: Tasty Bite You can filter their available products by whether they are vegetarian or vegan, although I don't think the website is actually showing a complete list of their products. The meals I have picked up are all "heat and eat," and they don't need to be refrigerated. Simply boil some water, put an unopened package into the hot water for 5 minutes or so, then open it and eat. Even if I'm not planning to eat at camp, I like to have a couple of those meals with me in case I don't find a good place to stop throughout the day.
Old 05-24-19, 01:17 PM
3speed

Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
I'll second the recommendation for Tasty Bite stuff. I've had a couple of their meals that are every bit as delicious as any other packaged backpacking food you'll find. Probably more delicious, but at the trade-off of a little more weight since it's not dehydrated. If you're not trying to carry a week of food at once, it's a great option.
Old 05-24-19, 02:47 PM
3speed

^ Eh. If you're taking a natural evolution standpoint, you're basically talking about a paleo sort of diet, and cutting out all of the artificial crap. And that diet is pretty much what science says is best. People made up eating bread, chemicals, and highly processed food recently. It's not something humans evolved eating over millions of years.
Likes For 3speed:
Old 05-24-19, 03:56 PM
BigAura

Bikes: all steel stable: surly world troller, paris sport fixed, fuji ss

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by 3speed
^ Eh. If you're taking a natural evolution standpoint, you're basically talking about a paleo sort of diet, and cutting out all of the artificial crap. And that diet is pretty much what science says is best. People made up eating bread, chemicals, and highly processed food recently. It's not something humans evolved eating over millions of years.
Bread has been eaten for 10,000 years. Agriculture has been practiced for 20,000. I agree some of the science-chemical-crap developed in the passed 100 years may not be healthy, but food eaten for thousands of years IS HUMAN FOOD.

Paleo diet is a bogus fad diet. We don't and should not eat like our ancestors did millions of years ago. Humans have evolved a lot since then. Plus we don't know what they actually ate!

Last edited by BigAura; 05-26-19 at 08:21 PM.
Likes For BigAura:
Old 05-24-19, 04:51 PM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
Originally Posted by mtb_addict
Vegan is a bad idea. Picking and choosing what you can and cannot eat, is not natural. Human evolved millions of years eating all kinds of stuff, whatever you can get our hands on. It's the way we evolved.

Pigeon holing certain food as good and certain food as bad, is all wrong. Science is all wrong. There's no good or bad food. There's just food and non-food. Just eat food. When you are full, stop eating.

We have to eat everything. Paleo, Keto, etc...all bad ideas.
Hah hah. That's some good stuff there!
Likes For Happy Feet:
Old 05-24-19, 07:52 PM
DropBarFan

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Rob_E
Dry beans and rice are relatively light and travel well. I don't tend to have the patience to cook them, but rice, beans, and vegetables can be found most places and can keep you going provided you have access to ample, clean water. My preferred meals for cooking in camp have become Tasty Bite meals: Tasty Bite You can filter their available products by whether they are vegetarian or vegan, although I don't think the website is actually showing a complete list of their products. The meals I have picked up are all "heat and eat," and they don't need to be refrigerated. Simply boil some water, put an unopened package into the hot water for 5 minutes or so, then open it and eat. Even if I'm not planning to eat at camp, I like to have a couple of those meals with me in case I don't find a good place to stop throughout the day.

Those Tasty Bite meals look pretty good though about 1g sodium per packet. Split lentils (moong dal, urad dal) can be cooked with white rice in 20 min while setting up the tent or whatnot. Even quicker is parboiled rice & dehydrated lentils.

BTW I read that some folks use a dehydrator (or low-temp oven) to dry cooked beans, lentils etc. I suppose shelf-life not as long as packaged meals but maybe good for a week or two on the road.

Otherwise in re meat vs veg/vegan...with factory farming the quality of meat has declined. I've tried some of the high-quality stuff from PA, much better than grocery-store but pretty expensive. Even grocery meat has gone up in price, going veg/vegan can save a lot of money.
Old 05-26-19, 08:10 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Originally Posted by revcp
We went vegan because my wife's sister, who was a professional triathlete, and is still elite level, had an operation for a 90% blockage in a carotid artery. Her doctor advised going vegan to cut out all animal fat. With additional family history of the same, my wife felt it made sense, so there we are. In addition, eating that low in the food chain cuts about 70% of one's carbon footprint. As mentioned above, some are boorish about being vegan, but certainly not all. And as proven above, some are simply boorish for God knows why.
It's in Ecclesiastes or something, there was a song in the 60s.
Old 05-26-19, 09:06 PM
Happy Feet

If it's your thing that cool but from a diet perspective Paleo really doesn't make sense. If the argument is against processed foods that could include almost everything from the early last century. No need to go back to pre agricultural caveman days.

Plus the life expectancy of neanderthal man was like what... 20 years.
Old 05-27-19, 04:41 AM
3speed

Originally Posted by Happy Feet
Plus the life expectancy of neanderthal man was like what... 20 years.
I’m not gonna agree or disagree with you on the paleo thing. I personally tend to prefer meat and veggies, but sure do love some good cheese, a latte, and had some good bread tonight. But one thing I’m certain about is that neanderthals wouldn’t have lived to 80 if they had just eaten some oatmeal. Hell, I doubt they would have made it five years longer from just eating a modern diet. Something about that lack of dental, basic medial care, decent clothes and shelter, etc, etc, etc...
Old 05-27-19, 11:25 AM
TricycleTom

Bikes: Jeunet 12, Car-Cycle X-4, Aerovironment Charger

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Only a few close friends know that I'm vegan. I'm not shy about being mostly organic, though. I camp out on tour. I eat home-made organic granola, with powdered coconut milk for breakfast. Gorp is always at hand, and fruit juice. Frozen juice is handy to keep veggies or left-overs fresh a while. Bagels or buns make decent sandwiches with avocado, peanut butter, or hummus, etc. You can grow sprouts in a cloth bag slung over the top tube, watering them when you drink. For supper, I have rice and lentil mix, or macaroni. By measuring the water and proper timing, the veggies cook in the same pot, and get done at the same time, with no loss of vitamins to rinsing. Fig bars make a decent dessert, but much depends on local opportunity. Fruit in season is fabulous. Anywhere else, cherry pits are a problem, but a feed bag on the handlebars has perfect bite-size bits, often with disposable handles, no less.

I once asked for plain rice in a Chinese restaurant. Near the bottom of the bowl, I discovered that they had picked out most of the pork.
Old 05-27-19, 12:09 PM
drbarney1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 18 Posts
I choose vegetarian because I don't think I have a right to kill sentient creatures when I don't have to in order to be healthy. However, I would be willing to eat really vicious and cruel creatures, specifically, I am told fried piranhas have an excellent flavor and if I thought the promotion of fish oil were not exaggerated I would take fish oil made from these nasty fish.
Likes For drbarney1:
Old 05-27-19, 05:27 PM
bgross

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by raybo
I’ve been a vegetarian for 45 years. These days, my wife and I are vegan at home but vegetarian when we travel. I add cheese and eggs to my diet when I tour by bicycle as it is just too much trouble for me to eat, otherwise. I don’t carry cooking gear so I rely on raw or packaged food or restaurants. Many restaurants in Europe (I’m currently in France) mark their menus to identify vegetarian and vegan meals, as well as those that are gluten free.

I could easily do without eggs (my Warmshowers host made a quiche for dinner last night) and cheese, though it is a nice addition to daily diet while riding, but surely not necessary. Both of these are as much preference and convenience. If I did all my own cooking, remaining vegan would not be a problem, but it isn’t something I want to subject the kind people who host on my trips to.

As for what I eat, Breakfast is fruit, bread and coffee. Bread, tomatoes, pesto sauce (available without cheese) potato chips, cookies, fruit, olives, and occasionally cheese I carry with me on the bike.. All but the cookies and cheese are vegan. Dinner, if I make it, is usually stir fried vegetables using spices I bring with me. All this is easily available in Europe. In other parts of the world or in small town USA, some items might be hard to get.
This, though we’ve only been vegetarian for ~32 years. We made the transition to vegan/WFPB about 18 months ago and were surprised at how simple it was.
When touring/traveling we simple “flex” back to including cheese/dairy/eggs when courtesy or convenience requires.
We’re happy with our dietary choices and our reasons for those choices, but don’t see the need to be evangelical about it. The same goes for our spiritual convictions, etc.
YMMV. Good travels!
Old 05-28-19, 10:24 AM
Hutchy
Hutchy

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by HerrKaLeun
It should be easy to find vegans. They typically wear shirts and other signs showing the rest of us how inadequate we are. They also will inject veganism into every conversation.

I know this isn't true for all. But the ones trying to guilt trip every one else are very pronounced.
you can't be guilt tripped if you don't feel guilty
Likes For Hutchy:
Old 05-28-19, 10:27 AM
Hutchy
Hutchy

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
it's best not to give advice about things you clearly don't know anything about
Old 05-28-19, 10:28 AM
Hutchy
Hutchy

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
they are usually much more aware of this than most people and try to avoid it where possible
Old 05-28-19, 10:32 AM
Hutchy
Hutchy

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
chipotle is good, there's an app called happy cow that helps
Old 05-28-19, 01:41 PM
Hutchy
Hutchy

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
you can't be a vegan some of the time, it's a moral conviction. That would be like saying I'm a ****** when I'm on vacation
Old 05-28-19, 07:27 PM
Happy Feet

Originally Posted by Hutchy
it's best not to give advice about things you clearly don't know anything about
Originally Posted by Hutchy
you can't be a vegan some of the time, it's a moral conviction. That would be like saying I'm a ****** when I'm on vacation
Irony?

Not everyone who's vegan does so for moral reasons.
Old 05-29-19, 11:11 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
Originally Posted by phughes
What dehydrator do you use?
I had an Excalibur. I gave it too some friends for the wedding but we all plan on making stuff with it at some point. I probably wouldn't go with anything but Excalibur for dehydrators as they always have gotten the best ratings.

Originally Posted by alan s
What do vegans think about using products from the exploitation of human beings?
Humans are animals.

Veganism is about eliminating exploitation from your life and the lives of others. It is not a diet it is a whole encompassing way of living to end exploitation throughout all life.

I got into veganism through doing human rights work for many years.

Originally Posted by jefnvk
Just like ebikes, why when veganism comes up can't the question at hand either be ignored or answered in a productive manner?

The guy asked for tips on what vegans eat on tour, not a discussion on the intricacies of the belief.
Well said.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.