Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Enough with the Gravel Grinder , How about a Pavement Pounder ?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 06-24-19, 09:17 AM
Caliper

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
Yes, the term is widely used in marketing to the uninitiated and by those who don’t actually ride gravel.

-Tim-
So these events are for people who don't actually ride gravel?

MMM Gravel Grinder | The ultimate Gravel Road Race

Gravel Grinder | Cedar City, Veyo, Utah ? Utah?s Premier Dirt & Asphalt Races
Likes For Caliper:
Old 06-24-19, 09:37 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by Caliper

"For" people who don't actually ride gravel are not my worlds.

"Used by" people who don't actually ride gravel are my words.

The people who wrote the copy at those two websites don't actually ride gravel. If they did they wouldn't use the term "Gravel grinder."

I've never experienced anyone who rides gravel actually using the term.

-Tim-
Old 06-24-19, 09:59 AM
Banzai
Jet Jockey

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD9, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Nashbar X-frame bike, Bike Friday Haul-a-Day, Surly Pugsley.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 25 Posts
I’ve reached the point where I hate the word “gravel” when utilized in connection with cycling. Hate, hate, hate. Just so sick of it.

The other day I violated all the laws of cycling physics by riding my road cycling bicycle on a stretch of gravel. I’m surprised it didn’t asplode.
Old 06-24-19, 10:24 AM
Caliper

The people who wrote the copy at those two websites don't actually ride gravel. If they did they wouldn't use the term "Gravel grinder."

-Tim-
Sorry for the slip in semantics, purely unintentional. I've honestly never noticed if I use gravel ride or gravel grinder or if anyone else does. Gravel grinder is a common phrase throughout the industry though. I suppose those guys are just stuck up road riders though who just talk about gravel and I should probably start watching my language so the cool kids will accept me.

Originally Posted by Banzai
I’ve reached the point where I hate the word “gravel” when utilized in connection with cycling. Hate, hate, hate. Just so sick of it.

The other day I violated all the laws of cycling physics by riding my road cycling bicycle on a stretch of gravel. I’m surprised it didn’t asplode.
I can see that in some places. They may like pavement pounders there. Where I am, there are few good paved roads to ride (mostly 55mph and a gravel shoulder) and great expanses of dirt roads. I love my gravel grinders and probably wouldn't be biking so much today if it weren't for them. While I can ride a road bike down some of our dirt roads, my Warbird is faster and can I never have to worry about the larger gravel, sand, etc.
Old 06-24-19, 10:27 AM
Caliper

Originally Posted by pakeboi
Do you have some sort of idea what makes a bike a "Pavement Pounder"? What are the defining characteristics in your mind?

To me, the bikes above that you have referenced look like hybrid bikes (the flat bars) and a gravel bike. Honestly, pavement pounder makes me think of a traditional cruiser style bike because they are big and heavy and take a lot of work to pedal fast, haha.
Old 06-24-19, 10:28 AM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts

-Tim-
If you include my previous post, that's at least 5 websites, with one of them being a bicycle manufacturer.

As far as website designer/editors, they usually copy and paste whatever text is given to them. Unless it's a WordPress type website where people that work for the organization can add text, which is either terms they actually use or they simply copy and paste, too.
Old 06-24-19, 11:12 AM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
Pavement pounder = something in between a gravel bike and endurance road bike? Specialization, n+1, noooooo!!!

I'm going to have a pavement pounder in a little over a month. I'm moving to a place without gravel roads but with a longer commute; the gravel bike is probably going to turn into a commuter for tired days when I don't feel like riding the single speed.
Old 06-24-19, 12:05 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10897 Post(s)
Liked 7,384 Times in 4,144 Posts
Originally Posted by wipekitty
Pavement pounder = something in between a gravel bike and endurance road bike? Specialization, n+1, noooooo!!!

I'm going to have a pavement pounder in a little over a month. I'm moving to a place without gravel roads but with a longer commute; the gravel bike is probably going to turn into a commuter for tired days when I don't feel like riding the single speed.
You are moving away from one of the nicest gravel road locations around?! Quiet farm roads, subtle valleys and ridges, curving roads down to the river, etc etc etc.
Old 06-24-19, 12:09 PM
bikecrate

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 395 Times in 225 Posts
Ummm, something like this?
Likes For bikecrate:
Old 06-24-19, 03:03 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
You are moving away from one of the nicest gravel road locations around?! Quiet farm roads, subtle valleys and ridges, curving roads down to the river, etc etc etc.
I know It's for an amazing job opportunity, though, and I might be back in a year!
Old 06-24-19, 06:03 PM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Originally Posted by bikecrate
Ummm, something like this?
Pavement Pounder
Looks like a smooo-oo-ooth ride.
Old 06-24-19, 09:12 PM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
I dislike the name Gravel Grinder but like the term Adventure Bike. Yet, I didn't want either. I had a bike built for just urban riding. This bike will never touch gravel or for that matter ever leave the city, yet it comes with 42mm tires. Flat bar for urban riding. Dura Ace derailleurs, XTR disc brakes, White Industry hubs and crank and Stan's Crest carbon rims. In essence a Pavement Pounder.

Likes For blakcloud:
Old 06-25-19, 08:59 AM
Caliper

Originally Posted by blakcloud
I dislike the name Gravel Grinder but like the term Adventure Bike. Yet, I didn't want either. I had a bike built for just urban riding. This bike will never touch gravel or for that matter ever leave the city, yet it comes with 42mm tires. Flat bar for urban riding. Dura Ace derailleurs, XTR disc brakes, White Industry hubs and crank and Stan's Crest carbon rims. In essence a Pavement Pounder.
I actually would see those as two different types of bikes. An adventure bike would have bigger tires and be more like a drop bar MTB such as the Salsa Cutthroat or Fargo while a gravel grinder would be more like a fat tire road bike such as a Salsa Warbird or Warroad.

I'll bet those 42mm tires roll great on city streets. Coincidentally, the original 700C tire size translates to something like a 700x39 in todays nomenclature. Interesting how things have basically come full circle. Maybe those guys knew a thing or two back in the day? Personally, after running 700x52 tires on dirt roads for years on one of my rides, I'd love to see a frame with clearance for 29er tires and more road like geometry. I guess it could be a pavement pounder with something like Schwalbe Big Apples, but I'd be running it on gravel and dirt.
Old 06-25-19, 11:42 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

According to some, flat bars make the gorgeous burgundy Winter posted above an "Urban gravel" bike.

FWIW, "Gravel Grinder" refers to a type of ride, not a type of bike.

-Tim-
Old 06-25-19, 12:20 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4741 Post(s)
Liked 3,860 Times in 2,509 Posts
"Pavement pounder" takes me back to the early, very stiff aluminum frames. No thanks.

Ben
Old 06-25-19, 12:26 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4741 Post(s)
Liked 3,860 Times in 2,509 Posts

-Tim-
Roughly 240 people showed up for the Oregon Trail Gravel Grinder last week. I heard the term a lot.
Old 06-25-19, 12:42 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Originally Posted by event horizon
Uninitiated? Those who don't actually ride gravel? You mean like Kristen Legun who has podiumed at the Dirty Kanza? She doesn't actually ride gravel?

Kristen Legum:

"Also, gravel creates more rolling resistance than pavement and packed dirt roads. Smaller gears will reduce the actual amount of actual ‘grinding’ you’ll have to do at these gravel grinders, and will keep your knees happier throughout the long day. "

bikeradar.com/advice/fitness-and-training/get-started-with-gravel-grinding/
Legan, not Legum.

She is writing a beginner article for a commercial magazine where one would expect to read jargon such as "Gravel grinder." There is nothing wrong with writing for neophytes but we have to recognize it as such...

Bigger volume tires, 38 to 42mm in width, absorb more of the bumps

Small bags that strap to your bike frame make for a convenient place to carry food.
This is a beginner article and I doubt Ms Legan would use the phrase "Gravel Grinder" in conversation with peers in real life. I've never heard gravel riders use the phrase in conversation.

At least she used it to describe the ride and not the bike.

-Tim-

Last edited by TimothyH; 06-25-19 at 12:59 PM.
Old 06-25-19, 01:25 PM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

-Tim-
Now that makes some sense to me.
Old 06-25-19, 02:50 PM
pakeboi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by blakcloud

Nice pavement pounder !
Tires look like Snoqualmie Pass ? They're size 700x44 on Rene Herse Cycles .
https://www.renehersecycles.com/shop...oqualmie-pass/

What's the bike geometry ; HT & ST angle , CS length , BB drop ?

Last edited by pakeboi; 06-25-19 at 03:00 PM. Reason: edit
Old 06-25-19, 02:57 PM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts

-Tim-
So “Mountain Bike” is a type of ride not a type of bike?
Old 06-25-19, 02:59 PM
badger1

Quoted: 1562 Post(s)
Liked 1,148 Times in 587 Posts
Legan, not Legum.

She is writing a beginner article for a commercial magazine where one would expect to read jargon such as "Gravel grinder." There is nothing wrong with writing for neophytes but we have to recognize it as such...

This is a beginner article and I doubt Ms Legan would use the phrase "Gravel Grinder" in conversation with peers in real life. I've never heard gravel riders use the phrase in conversation.

At least she used it to describe the ride and not the bike.

-Tim-
One really hopes that you are just taking the p**s and having a little fun in and with this thread.

Sadly, I suspect you are serious.
Old 06-25-19, 03:14 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Nice pavement pounder !
Now this was funny.

-Tim-
Old 06-25-19, 03:18 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Originally Posted by badger1
One really hopes that you are just taking the p**s and having a little fun in and with this thread.

Sadly, I suspect you are serious.
It started as a fairly simple observation from one who rides gravel. Sort of "Hey, just FYI, no one at gravel rides really uses that phrase."

Seemed to tweak enough people that I went with it.

-Tim-
Old 06-25-19, 03:28 PM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 609 Times in 458 Posts
Oh nice bike

If I had more space I would absolutely enjoy owning this. As it is I have a hard tail XC 29er that is my all rounder Urban bomber, winter machine, single track machine, and I've had alot of fun with it in the Rockies. Would love to have a dedicated Urban 29er, it's really great on rainy days.

Just remember to be courteous to pedestrians and the surroundings.
Old 06-26-19, 01:37 PM
HarborBandS
HarborBandS

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 57 Posts
I used to say "No one that actually lives in Chicago calls it 'Chi-Town'!", except that now many people do. I suspect the same is true with "Gravel Grinder", which is now clearly a type of ride AND a type of bike. Can't fight it--the battle is over.

I do find it strange that the people who are most likely to call gravel "trend" or "just marketing" live in places without a lot of nice gravel to ride. For instance, you'll see British or European cycling press bemoaning the rise of gravel riding, but then they also have to admit that they just don't have that kind of riding in abundance around them.

In the U.S. we've surrendered much of our pavement to cars and smart-phone-addicted drivers, so it was inevitable that cyclists would abandon pavement for the quiet of rural dirt paths, gravel roads, fire roads, etc.

But at the end of the day, I just want a road bike that takes wider tires.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.