Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

Need some help on bike fit (Specialized Crosstrail)

Search
Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-19, 09:01 PM
DSJ13

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So I am 5'9' and my inseam is ~31'' using the book method', and I initially bought a Specialized Crosstrail in size M. My LBS had varying opinions on M vs L for me, but I chose the M based on standover clearance. I rode it for a few days but couldnt seem to get comfortable. I went back to my shop and they swapped a longer stem and worked with me which I was hoping would fix it, but with the longer stem I felt like I was still 'on top' of the bars, and lowering the seat would create too much bend in my knee at the 6 oclock pedal.

So, they let me swap it for the large. Trouble with the large is I have virtually no standover clearance. How can I put this other than in plan english? Basically my nuts touch the top tube, but my pelvis still has an inch of clearance or so. So I can lift the bike into my perineum and have the wheel an inch off the ground, but the boys themselves are touching when standing over. Does that make sense?

Anyway I am at a loss here. Stick with the large? Go back to the medium with longer stem? I am right in between sizes. I have an average wingspan. I havent had much seat time on the large yet but right away when I first hopped on at the bike shop the large felt better.

Last edited by DSJ13; 07-16-19 at 09:15 PM.
Old 07-17-19, 10:21 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3885 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Looking at that bike's geometry, the L is too large. You should be bent over at the hips. That's the way it's supposed to be. You're just not used to riding a decent bike. Go back to the medium and post a photo of you on bike from the side. Can't tell anything without a photo except that the L is too large.
Old 07-17-19, 10:27 AM
DSJ13

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
Looking at that bike's geometry, the L is too large. You should be bent over at the hips. That's the way it's supposed to be. You're just not used to riding a decent bike. Go back to the medium and post a photo of you on bike from the side. Can't tell anything without a photo except that the L is too large.
Thanks for the reply. What are you basing the large being too big on? I am bent over at the hips on the large, the medium too, but I felt a little high on top of them on the medium.
Old 07-17-19, 10:41 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Originally Posted by DSJ13
Thanks for the reply. What are you basing the large being too big on? I am bent over at the hips on the large, the medium too, but I felt a little high on top of them on the medium.
Your height and inseam and the mental image of your crotch right down on that sloped top tube. If that top tube were perfectly horizontal and your crotch were touching it, it could still go either way as to whether such a frame would be too large. Bike shop wants the sale. Customer leaves with bike, all is good.
Old 07-17-19, 10:46 AM
DSJ13

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Your height and inseam and the mental image of your crotch right down on that sloped top tube. If that top tube were perfectly horizontal and your crotch were touching it, it could still go either way as to whether such a frame would be too large. Bike shop wants the sale. Customer leaves with bike, all is good.
I hear you, but I bought the medium and they let me go back and swap for the large, so I have no reason to question their motives.
Old 07-19-19, 09:39 PM
DSJ13

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Does neck fatigue generally indicate the reach is too long?
Old 07-20-19, 11:55 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Does neck fatigue generally indicate the reach is too long?
No, it indicates that you round your back when you ride: https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycl...discovery.html
Old 07-20-19, 11:56 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

I hear you, but I bought the medium and they let me go back and swap for the large, so I have no reason to question their motives.
They got your money, didn't they? Absolutely no question as to their motives. Unless of course they let you swap back . . .
Old 07-21-19, 08:26 AM
DSJ13

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
They got your money, didn't they? Absolutely no question as to their motives. Unless of course they let you swap back . . .
They already let me swap it once. Did you read that part?

I bought the medium initially then they let me swap it for the large. Hardly a money issue when they have both sizes in stock on the floor.
Old 07-21-19, 07:59 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

They already let me swap it once. Did you read that part?

I bought the medium initially then they let me swap it for the large. Hardly a money issue when they have both sizes in stock on the floor.
Of course I read that part. I'm simply a bit perplexed that you aren't interested in swapping it back, since large is obviously too large. It's your money, your body. Do whatever you want.
Old 07-21-19, 08:56 PM
DSJ13

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Of course I read that part. I'm simply a bit perplexed that you aren't interested in swapping it back, since large is obviously too large. It's your money, your body. Do whatever you want.
Dude I was just disagreeing with the notion that the bike shop was trying to get over or something.

Truth is I have no idea what I’m doing and I’m new to this looking for help. Like I said the large felt better riding to me than the medium. The standover is close.
Old 07-21-19, 09:03 PM
BookFinder 
Lifelong wheel gazer ...

Bikes: All garage sale finds...

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 26 Posts
What feels best riding is the determining factor. That, and learn a cautious routine for dismounting the bike.

My take is to wear a jock strap or something like under armor briefs to keep the boys in close.
Old 07-21-19, 09:20 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Dude I was just disagreeing with the notion that the bike shop was trying to get over or something.

Truth is I have no idea what I’m doing and I’m new to this looking for help. Like I said the large felt better riding to me than the medium. The standover is close.
Without seeing and touching you, all we can do at this remove is guess at what's going to work long term. Get the opinion of a bike fitter who does not work at that same LBS. I've been riding for 65 years and have some experience in bike fit.