Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Schwinn Breeze Riders Unite! :-D

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Schwinn Breeze Riders Unite! :-D

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-19, 09:55 PM
Vintage Schwinn

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked 396 Times in 259 Posts
That blue color that Schwinn used in 1966 and other years is a beautiful color.
You'll need the KENDA K23 schwinn only 26 x 1 3/8 (37-597) tires when it comes time for new tires.
These tires are often difficult to seat on the rim for those people who haven't had much experience with mounting bicycle tires.
This won't be an issue for anyone at a bike shop, but it might be an issue for someone attempting to mount these tires by themselves at home.
It is incredibly easy for anyone at home to get them "mounted" BUT IF NOT EVENLY SEATED, YOU MAY HAVE A SLIGHT BUMP WITH EVERY REVOLUTION OF THE TIRE, WHILE YOU ARE RIDING. Letting a bicycle shop mount these Kenda (schwinn only) 26 x 1 3/8 tires (37-597) will solve that issue. You might be able to get the tires properly seated on the rim, it make take a non-professional several tries to get it done.........perhaps maybe on the first try, but you want to make sure that you don't damage the tire's wire bead, and that you don't damage your tube while trying to get it done.
My advice is for anyone with such a 26" wheeled Schwinn: GO BUY THE Brand New KENDA (37-597) size tires from any of those online bicycle shop-stores....who have listings on Ebay or Amazon..... DO THAT TO GET THE BRAND NEW (37-597) schwinn 26 x 1 3/8 KENDA tire at the Best Pricing and in the Color choice that you prefer for your bicycle............BLACKWALL, or GUMWALL, or Whitewall version of these tires.
I would also recommend perhaps buying thorn proof/thorn resistant Innertubes from any of the Online bicycle shops/stores in order to get TUBES that will last.
The Bontrager tubes that your local bike shop typically will install are JUNK, in that they are extremely thin and lightweight. Yes, that might be desireable for a racing bike but it SURE AIN'T DESIREABLE for durability and thorn resistance. The Bontrager tubes are as good as any extremely thin and lightweight tube. They will work fine, BUT THORN RESISTANT TUBES WILL BE BETTER and LIKELY WILL LAST LONGER. Tubes are inexpensive, and so too are Thorn resistant tubes if you source them yourself from any of the major online bike shops/stores.
Just BUY the TIRES and Good Quality Tubes FROM various online major bike places, etc..... ---AND---then HAVE YOUR FAVORITE LOCAL BIKE SHOP, DO THE INSTALLATION OF YOUR TIRES, and TUBES with any other maintenance that you'll have them perform.
Most bicycle shops that are not extremely elitist will do TIRE and TUBE installation and other maintenance on any vintage Schwinn for a reasonable price.
BEWARE of those that have "Ferrari/Rolls-Royce" clientele, as they may charge significantly more than what the typical bike shop will. Ask questions before leaving your bike for any work. Chances are that your city has at least several bike shops and at least one of them will be glad to service your Schwinn at a reasonable price. The servicing of the BOTTOM BRACKET (1 piece American style crank) on the SCHWINN is incredibly simple, as it has caged bearings (#64)
and the servicing of the Headtube is incredibly simple too, as it has caged bearings in the upper and lower part of the front fork.
Anyone can easily service these if armed with the GLENN'S COMPLETE BICYCLE MANUAL (c) 1973 approx 350 pages 8.5" x 11" softbound......you can find copies from those huge used booksellers on the bay for about $4 with free shipping, as that book sold at least 1/2 million copies.
YOUTUBE will also have several HOW I DID IT videos of various quality..........you might have to view half a dozen until you find a decent enough one that you can follow.
I would suggest that when you do decide to install new tires, THAT YOU FEEL WITH YOUR FINGERS, ALL AROUND THE INSIDE OF THE WHEEL RIM FOR ANY sharp spots or ROUGH SPOTS. Use a very fine sandpaper to smooth them. IF YOU DON'T DO THIS, THEN HAVE YOUR TIRE INSTALLER DO THIS. Doing this will avoid potential issues that might later cause your tube to blow out or leak down. If you do this, you likely can run the el-cheapo thin BONTRAGER tubes without any issues if you can steer clear of thorns and other stuff. What you're actually trying to do is make certain that the inside of the fifty year old wheel is smooth as even the most tiny rust spec or imbedded grit could be in the wrong place there.

Most any bike shop will do a fine job on your old Schwinn. Find one locally that enjoys servicing old bikes, especially Schwinns, because the other(s) that cater to the "ferrari"/"Rolls" bike makes exclusively will not really give a damn and will not get it adjusted as well as the other shop(s) might.

You might find it interesting that the BREEZE 3 speed came with painted fenders that matched the frame in the sixties. The DeLuxe BREEZE 3 speed during the sixties had Chromed fenders and perhaps a fancier seat.
1965 has the older--unbent StepThrough top bar
1966 has the more typical "modern"-bent Schwinn STEP-THROUGH top bar
In 1970 year model, SCHWINN had a 3 speed COLLEGIATE (1970 only) that essentially was the prior DeLuxe BREEZE as this 3 speed Collegiate has the Chrome Fenders.
1971 BREEZE does have CHROME FENDERS, 1970 BREEZE has Painted Fenders.........
The 1970 Collegiate 3 speed was a one year only as it did not appear in 1971....................Sometime around 1980 or 1981 it does return briefly.
Also in 1970 and 1971 only, Schwinn offered a version of the SUBURBAN with 3 speed ( along with the 5 speed -AND- 10 speed models)
THE SUBURBAN has (32-622) 27 x 1 1/4 wheel/tires.
The Collegiate has the same (37 -597) 26 x 1 3/8 wheels/tires as the BREEZE.

Reviews via Amazon on the seating of the 37-597 26 inch Schwinn/KENDA tires
https://www.amazon.com/Kenda-Schwinn...iews/B001C6D1S

On the bay, see #292673552480 and see # 301580353579 and see # 173922555307 and see # 192566530938
Those are for examples only, as you might likely find other sellers with perhaps more favorable pricing or color choices as those tires are avail in blackwall, gumwall or whitewall.

Also if you do nothing but type in: schwinn breeze 3 speed on the YOUTUBE Search Box, you'll find a bunch of videos and tutorials that you might find helpful. Sure, you might have to weed through a few dopey videos made by idiots but there are a few really good ones on YOUTUBE also.

The 46 TEETH Cloverwheel Crank wheel and The 46 TEETH MAGstyle Crank wheel --- ARE EXACTLY THE SAME AND INTERCHANGEABLE---Certain year models may have one or the other.
You also have your choice of any 1/2"thread PEDALS, as all bicycles with the one-piece crank take 1/2" pedals.
Thus if you prefer any pedal style that Schwinn used on any later bicycle, or earlier one, or any other brand's 1/2" pedal.
Based on my experience with Collegiates, the pedals that came on the models in 1971 and 1972 waffle style with reflector are much better than those that came on the 1968 waffle style no relector and earlier models.
I would think the Breeze had the same pedal as the Collegiate.
1973 have a newer flatter Rubber Block reflector pedal that is excellent too.
The Bow style heavy Rubber pedals that were standard on the 1970 - 1977 SUBURBANS are great.
The rat-traps that were standard on 1975-1976 Varsity and Collegiate Sport are excellent.
Pedals are such a minor item but IF YOU GET ONE THAT YOU REALLY LIKE, I THINK IT IMPROVES YOUR RIDING EXPERIENCE OF YOUR SCHWINN. Beware of new "garbage" pedals as they are poor choices compared to used quality Schwinn approved pedals......neither will be costly.......expect $15 or less for excellent used pedals............................There are some really good aftermarket NEW pedals that are not expensive but there are so many different ones and different styles that it is nearly impossible to state accurately as to what is currently decent and what is not.........................you may have to try for yourself/and-or, just go on advice of someone currently riding those.... Your local bike shop can likely guide you towards pedals that are of decent quality or better since they have so many customers with older bikes that want to replace the pedals.................and they will get feedback as to whether the customer likes the pedal quality or thinks it is low quality junk................the local bike shop is unlikely to knowingly carry junky-new pedals since that would be bad for business in the long run.
Also, if someone has an old Schwinn that has a rusty chain, or a really old-worn or stiff chain that Needs Replacement, I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THAT YOU HAVE YOUR FAVORITE LOCAL BIKE SHOP REPLACE & INSTALL A BRAND NEW CHAIN........e.g., Purchase The Chain From Your Favorite Local Bike Shop......pay them to Install It TOO!!!............money well spent, as a chain is inexpensive and labor to install the chain won't likely exceed $6.

Have fun riding your Schwinn!
Wear a helmet, as that is surely one significant advancement from the "old days".
Old 10-18-19, 07:05 PM
Tiffanymassing

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Help with rear fender reflector for 1974 Breeze

I am the proud new owner of a 74 Breeze. It's in pretty good shape, but is missing the reflector on the rear fender. Anyone have advice on how to get one that works with the bike? I'm a newbie and the range of vintage reflectors is mind boggling! Thank you in advance for your help.
Old 10-19-19, 12:25 AM
Vintage Schwinn

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked 396 Times in 259 Posts
Tiffany,
If your BREEZE had the ROUND reflector like the PICTURES in the 1973 and 1974 Schwinn Catalogs :
HERE is 1973 Catalog --Schwinn Breeze PICTURE
https://waterfordbikes.com/SchwinnCa...0/1973_23.html
1974 Catalog---Schwinn Breeze PICTURE
https://waterfordbikes.com/SchwinnCa...0/1974_25.html
1975 CATALOG---Schwinn Breeze PICTURED WITH THE LATE MODEL NON-ROUND REFLECTOR
https://waterfordbikes.com/SchwinnCa...0/1975_16.html

The Collegiate FIVE SPEED with Chrome fenders and the SUBURBAN with painted fenders, as well as other Schwinns with either painted or chromed fenders such as RACER/SPEEDSTER/BREEZE,(many other names, etc) from at least the late sixties to about 1974 or 1975 have about the same sort of ROUND RED rear fender reflector. I HAVE NOT INVESTIGATED THE DIFFERENCES AMONG YEAR MODELS AND DIFFERENT SCHWINN NAMEPLATES. I am no expert and I have never been concerned with the reflectors. I do imagine there might be some differences depending on if you go back prior to about 1968. I cannot say. There are some folks that can tell everything on ancient Schwinns, even mid year model changes, and can tell the tiny differences in PEDALS and REFLECTORS over the years. I CANNOT HELP ON WHAT IS THE "exact replacement original equipment" Part for the REAR REFLECTOR on the Schwinn fender. (perhaps Metacortex , the expert on Schwinns may know the answer if you're seeking 100% accuracy for your Breeze).

I can say that the following RED ROUND Reflector offered by these three different CHINA based Sellers (the part is the same, part number KM-106-2-RD ), IS THE BEST AFTERMARKET SUBSTITUTE IN MY OPINION. Yeah, it is a vintage application, motorcycle part----round red reflector for motorcycle BUT THE SIZING IS PERFECT FOR THE early seventies Collegiate/Suburban rear fender.........and other Schwinns like the Breeze....and others which ARE the same and had the same reflectors on them.
Now this aftermkt Round Red REFLECTOR is the Closest Thing that I have found that is the proper size and has a quality appearance.
See the size dimensions stated there in the listing(s).........THESE PARTS ARE THE SAME.....just three different China based Ebay sellers that are reproducing or sourcing reproductions of this vintage motorcycle reflector part. This part is Super-Inexpensive, considering that many ebay nuts are selling vintage reflectors and reproductions that are not close to the correct size for $10 or more which is a ripoff.

ITEM: KM-106-2-RD you get a qty of two (ONE PAIR) for $2.99 Free Shipping from 667motorparts (99.1% rating) in Guangzhou,Guandong CHINA
#332591631337 on the bay
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2Pcs-Round-...arms=aid%3D555

------------------
#253521089700 qty of two (ONE PAIR) for $2.99 from top speed moto (99.2%) in Guangzhou CHINA
https://www.ebay.com/itm/6mm-Thread-...552707910764&h

-------------------
#273129102831 qty of two (ONE PAIR) from birdmanracing (99.7%) in Guangzhou CHINA
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2pcs-6mm-Th...rkparms=aid%3D

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
That part that those three Chinese sellers have is the best available REPLACEMENT REFLECTOR that I currently am aware of.
It is very CLOSE in APPEARANCE and SIZE......................the stud portion may be slightly different in length and width but not by much, and it will fit perfectly with minimal or zero modifications. If you want the exact original SCHWINN reflector, you'll likely have to track down one from a bent or rusted old fender from somewhere. I would not pay idiotic prices to find the exact oem used part............not for a simple basic looking round reflector! That '75 and later NON ROUND reflector looks okay, but there are other REPRODUCTION oem REFFLECTORS that look better........that COLUMBIA chromed dual angle thing that a lot of people use on their project bicycles is one of many that look nice.