Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

26" LHT Fenders Help

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

26" LHT Fenders Help

Old 09-02-15, 06:50 AM
Tim_Iowa

Bikes: 1997 Rivendell Road Standard 650b conversion (tourer), 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10 (gravel/tour), 2013 Foundry Auger disc (CX/gravel), 2016 Cannondale Fat CAAD 2 (MTB/winter), 2011 Cannondale Flash 29er Lefty (trail MTB)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by jonc123
I might just go ahead and order one. I did look closely at the Ortlieb one, it looks like you can just cut the plastic tie that goes around the handlebar and put a hoseclamp on it, it would have to be a narros clamp. Eventually I am going to rewrap these bars and leave the area where the mirror is at without tape. I gotta go look at some youtube videos to see how to wrap the bars properly. Notice the job surly did near the stem...looks like one side they ran out of tape unless that was on purpose for the reflector. Thanks, I'll go look at Peter's website.
Some bikes come with the bars wrapped, but the Truckers I've assembled came with loose wrap. So, it's the shop's work, most likely. Maybe the new kid wrapped your bars.
You could install the mirror and then wrap around the base, not unlike how the wrap makes a gap for your shift cable.
To wrap, start at the bottom of the bars, and wrap them outwards -- the right bar is wrapped clockwise, the left bar is counter.
"Cork" wrap like that is pretty comfortable, but it gets chewed up easily. For my next wrap, I'm going to try the more expensive Lizard Skins DSP tape. It's rubbery instead of foam, so it's a bit more durable but still has nice grip and cushion.

Originally Posted by jonc123
UPDATE: I went and looked at the mirrors, which 903 do you have, specifically which type of arm and length? He has a bunch of them; it looks like the 903 refers to the larger mirror.
I used the 903/3 model for a mount on the side of drop bars, as suggested.

901 is 2" mirror with long arm
903 is 3" mirror with long arm
/1 variants have a short straight arm
/2 variants just have the bar end plug
/3 variants have a short curved arm

All include the bar end plug

Peter White's catalog is great; they cater to traditional bike tourists, and are the authority on dynamo lighting. They've been the primary importer of German touring products for ages.
However, they are an old school shop and have no web shopping portal. You look at the website, make a list, and call them. They're super nice and ship quickly.
Old 09-02-15, 04:26 PM
jonc123
Ozark Hillbilly

Bikes: Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Tim_Iowa
Some bikes come with the bars wrapped, but the Truckers I've assembled came with loose wrap. So, it's the shop's work, most likely. Maybe the new kid wrapped your bars.
You could install the mirror and then wrap around the base, not unlike how the wrap makes a gap for your shift cable.
To wrap, start at the bottom of the bars, and wrap them outwards -- the right bar is wrapped clockwise, the left bar is counter.
"Cork" wrap like that is pretty comfortable, but it gets chewed up easily. For my next wrap, I'm going to try the more expensive Lizard Skins DSP tape. It's rubbery instead of foam, so it's a bit more durable but still has nice grip and cushion.

I used the 903/3 model for a mount on the side of drop bars, as suggested.

901 is 2" mirror with long arm
903 is 3" mirror with long arm
/1 variants have a short straight arm
/2 variants just have the bar end plug
/3 variants have a short curved arm

All include the bar end plug

Peter White's catalog is great; they cater to traditional bike tourists, and are the authority on dynamo lighting. They've been the primary importer of German touring products for ages.
However, they are an old school shop and have no web shopping portal. You look at the website, make a list, and call them. They're super nice and ship quickly.

Thanks, I gave PW a call...left a message.