Search
Notices
Northeast Rides and Events Connecticut | Maine | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York | Rhode Island | Vermont

Twin Lights Ride

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-16, 08:48 PM
RhythmRider

Bikes: '14 Giant Escape RX '08 GIANT Cypress

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Twin Lights Ride

I'm doing it for the first time. Anyone doing the Twin Lights ride this year....and what length? Any advice on preparation?!
Old 08-14-16, 11:31 AM
SBinNYC

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
You should prepare for this ride like you would any other ride you want to complete.

You should make sure your bike is in excellent working order and then ride it at least 100 miles to make sure.

You should also train so that you are comfortable with doing 75% of you planned distance within the allotted time. You should plan to get to the finish line before 5pm, regardless of the distance you choose. This implies leaving the start line at the indicated time.

One problem with this ride is that the decision to choose the 30, 55 mile rides vs. the 75 and 100 is made only 27 miles into the ride. The 75 vs. 100 mile decision comes 44 miles into the ride. The 30 vs. 55 mile split comes 11 miles into the ride. This isn't a problem, if you are comfortable doing 75% of the total distance. There aren't shortcuts, once a longer distance is chosen.
Old 08-14-16, 03:26 PM
RhythmRider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks SBinNYC
Old 08-14-16, 06:08 PM
wschruba

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 48 Posts
What length ride are you doing? The route/climbing for them is different...there are three somewhat large hills, all of them short, and you may not do all of them. The first climbs out of Highlands, and is very short, but quite steep. No problems there, except maybe at the top, depending on where you stop to get on the highway...but not terrible by any stretch of the imagination. Mt Mitchell, if they send you north from there, is somewhat longer/higher climb, and probably the largest on the ride. If the (long) route goes down Ocean avenue through Sea Bright (the other direction, basically), you'll probably wind up climbing up Chapel Hill Road--again, fairly steep, but pretty short by any standard. I can't imagine both hills will be in the ride, since easily linking them would be a large, poorly executed highway section.

There is nothing difficult about the climbs, as they are pretty short. If you are reasonably fit for the distance ride you are going to do, I can't see any issues. The bigger question is whether or not you'll be riding into a headwind on Ocean Avenue. Soul sucking, but not hard unless you're looking at 25+mph winds.
Old 08-16-16, 03:02 PM
RhythmRider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks wschruba, I'll be doing the 30mile...thought about doing the 55mi stretch but with the hills I think I will aim low this time!
Old 08-26-16, 10:15 PM
explaurie

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm riding the Twin Lights ride next month - doing the 30 mile route. I've done the 5 boro bike tour a couple of times and do some very (very) leisurely local rides, but though they often are 30-40 miles or so, they're often quite flat. How does the 30 mile route compare to the 5 boro? I read the above thread but wondering if anyone has tips on where I can find information about the specific route/climbs? Thanks!
Old 08-27-16, 10:50 AM
SBinNYC

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by explaurie
I'm riding the Twin Lights ride next month - doing the 30 mile route. I've done the 5 boro bike tour a couple of times and do some very (very) leisurely local rides, but though they often are 30-40 miles or so, they're often quite flat. How does the 30 mile route compare to the 5 boro? I read the above thread but wondering if anyone has tips on where I can find information about the specific route/climbs? Thanks!
The route is advertised as having 1100 ft of climbing in 30 miles. That's 37 ft/mile of climbing. That metric is generally considered a flat ride. It's difficult to measure the 5 Boro climbing because most of the "climbs" are on bridges. The topographic source maps show the land/water altitude.

If you leave Huddy Park early (around 9:30) and ride a leisurely 8 mph, you will have half an hour to spend in the 2 rest stops you will encounter. This will get you back to Highlands in 5 hours or around 2:30 pm. You will not see any of the sweep vehicles nor be prodded by sweep riders to go faster. If you did not see the sweep vehicles on the 5 Boro, chances are you won't see them on Twin Lights.

You can further enhance your chances for a leisurely ride by making sure your bike is in top condition before you start the ride. You can minimize your chances of getting a flat by making sure your tires are inflated to their recommended pressure before you start.
Old 09-02-16, 10:55 AM
loonykathy

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here's a link to my mapmyride of the 30 mile route from last year.

loonykathy's Profile

My biggest pieces of advice:

- Save a little gas in the tank for the climb back into Atlantic Highlands. But I've seen plenty of people in full kit walk it.

- Try not to drip chocolate on yourself at the last rest stop. My favorite jersey has repeated chocolate stains.

- After the ride, head over to the pier for a nice view of NYC and Sandy Hook.

Have fun!
Old 09-03-16, 04:14 AM
Hokiedad4

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus, Giant Contend

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 13 Posts
I volunteered to marshall the short (15 miles along Sandy Hook) ride last year and had lots of fun leading a group of teens and young adults who had just learned to ride last summer. This year I'm doing the 55 with a few friends.

Can't wait!
Old 09-27-16, 09:29 AM
cookingjnj

Bikes: 2008 Specialized Allez Elite

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 10 Posts
Hi Rhythm. How did you make out on the Twin Lights Tour this year. What a great day for a bike ride along the Jersey Shore. A few of us completed the century this year, and the weather could not have been any better for the ride. Bike New York always puts on a good event, and this was no different. I hope everyone enjoyed as much as we did. Looking forward to next year already.
Old 01-04-17, 10:43 AM
PBS

Bikes: Trek Versa 2 Hybrid, Giant Contend SL Road bike, davinci randem

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I thought the 2016 Twin Lights ride was great. After doing the 55 miles on a hybrid it got me to buy a road bike. I am registering for Five Boros next. General registrations start January 10 and fill quickly.