Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

Considering a Greenspeed Aero

Search
Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-18, 08:02 PM
BikeArkansas

Bikes: 2012 Scorpion FX trike, 2016 Catrike 700

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Looking at a Greenspeed Aero. Any opinions?
Old 01-25-18, 09:41 PM
dual650c

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Disclaimer: I haven't actually ridden one, but... after looking at the website description on it....

It seems to be speed oriented vice comfort or carrying capability. That said, it's sorta like a Catrike 700 - if you can find a reasonable way to carry what you need to carry emergency spares/tools, fuel and water-wise for a 200 or 300km brevet. I'm not sure its design would suit "me" for a 400km or longer distance.

I'm sure others will eventually chime in. (My trike experience with 200km brevet-distance rides is with a TerraTrike Cruise, a Rambler and a Catrike whose model I forget [but it wasn't a 700.)
Old 01-26-18, 06:46 AM
Steamer
Zircon Encrusted Tweezers

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked 127 Times in 82 Posts
Looks like an awesome, fast trike. Although if you are cost sensitive, you could do better to pick up a used Catrike 700, and probably get 98% of the performance of the Aero.

dual650C - what does rando have to do with BA's inquiry?
Old 01-26-18, 07:38 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 4,618 Times in 2,122 Posts
I haven’t ridden one other but I did sit on one and play with one at the Midwest Recumbent Rally. The steering is so smooth that it feels like it’s moving on ball bearings. No comment on how it functions while riding, just how it feels on the showroom floor.

Old 01-26-18, 12:51 PM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 179 Posts
You can read a review by Bryan J. Ball, Managing Editor of BentRider at https://www.bentrideronline.com/?p=11242. Although I have never ridden or even seen one, if it has the same longevity as my 2001 Greenspeed GTO has had, you will not need another trike for a very long time. I ride a 2013 Catrike 700 these days and though I dearly love the trike, I would still rate the Greenspeed GTO higher for overall durability. Different trikes and different uses but both really nice.
Old 01-26-18, 07:03 PM
BikeArkansas

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Actually, I do have a used (2016) Catrike 700. Only had it a couple months, but already find the back of the 700 is way too MUSHY. I believe I am losing much of my pedaling power on the transfer to the mushy rear wheel set-up. This situation seems to be much better on the Aero. That is my main reason to look at the Aero. I did pedal an Aero around a parking lot. The steering is simply great. However, there is a fairly stiff price tag.
Old 01-26-18, 08:01 PM
BikeArkansas

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am sure I should clarify. I do not believe a trip around the parking lot tells me much, but better than nothing. What I am hoping to hear are some reports from forum members that have actually ridden the Aero a number of times on the roads and trails. How did it feel on a climb, on a descent and cruising at the higher speeds it is built to do. Comments from forum members is far more valuable than a trip around the parking lot. With the price tag, it would be great to know more. It may be best to stay with the paid for 700 if the Aero does not have significant improvements, such as speed or climbing.
Old 01-27-18, 06:57 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 4,618 Times in 2,122 Posts
Originally Posted by BikeArkansas
I am sure I should clarify. I do not believe a trip around the parking lot tells me much, but better than nothing. What I am hoping to hear are some reports from forum members that have actually ridden the Aero a number of times on the roads and trails. How did it feel on a climb, on a descent and cruising at the higher speeds it is built to do. Comments from forum members is far more valuable than a trip around the parking lot. With the price tag, it would be great to know more. It may be best to stay with the paid for 700 if the Aero does not have significant improvements, such as speed or climbing.
There are a few threads on Bent Rider Online about the GS Aero and one of them is pretty in depth, IIRC. You might want to look those up.

When I was at the Hostel Shoppe, Rolf kept trying to get me to ride the one they had but I had/have a Windcheetah on order and my wife would have killed me just for entertaining the idea of buying one. After the Windcheetah deal fell through, ICE stepped up and offered those of us affected a VTX at near cost. Had that not happened the GS Aero would have been something I would have been looking at this summer.

Old 02-01-18, 01:04 PM
iambent

Bikes: RANS Stratus 700, Bacchetta Corsa, HPV Gekko FX 20, Rover Tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here's some links to a couple of threads and a review for the Aero on BROL. You can search the BROL forum and find more threads on the Aero.

Seven GS Aeros on the Withlacoochee - BentRider Online Forums

My New Greenspeed Aero Batmobile - BentRider Online Forums

https://www.bentrideronline.com/?p=11242
Old 02-01-18, 06:51 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Originally Posted by BikeArkansas
Actually, I do have a used (2016) Catrike 700. Only had it a couple months, but already find the back of the 700 is way too MUSHY. I believe I am losing much of my pedaling power on the transfer to the mushy rear wheel set-up. This situation seems to be much better on the Aero. That is my main reason to look at the Aero. I did pedal an Aero around a parking lot. The steering is simply great. However, there is a fairly stiff price tag.
That's interesting to read. I don't have a trike and probably won't in the near future, but eventually I'll probably pick one up used. Do you think the mushiness is the frame or the rear wheel itself? Wheels can be replaced without too much expense; frames not so much.
Old 02-01-18, 07:11 PM
BikeArkansas

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
That's interesting to read. I don't have a trike and probably won't in the near future, but eventually I'll probably pick one up used. Do you think the mushiness is the frame or the rear wheel itself? Wheels can be replaced without too much expense; frames not so much.
I have installed a very stiff rear wheel. The wheel I installed is a R-Sys. Even with this very stiff wheel the rear of the trike feels mushy. It is the frame. The Greenspeed Aero did feel much stiffer, but I have not ridden any more than around the parking lot. Let me also say that the Catrike 700 is a very quick trike even with this problem I find personally. Many people race the 700 and find them very fast.
Old 07-25-18, 06:44 AM
david gerstel

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
greenspeed aero

hello,
i have a ice sprint, a catrike 700 and a greenspeed aero
if you want speed, buy the aero. it is significanlty faster than the others. tires, aerodynamics, general engineering. they all contribute. it is also very comfortable. i have the schlumpf gear and i would buy that again. very good for hills.
on a flat i am more than equal to a 2 wheeler. on the downhill i am faster.
the aero is the best designed. the steering is great the tires are great.
any questions, send me a message.
and i like the other two trikes, but the first in my mind is greenspeed
Old 07-25-18, 06:46 AM
david gerstel

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
greenspeed aero

oh, and i ride 40-100 k a day in italy. up and down hills on the flats. everywhere. if i need to carry something i have a vest with 20 pockets. anything else i put it on my stomach.