Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Southeast
Reload this Page >

Commuting/touring in and around Durham NC? (Dutch people)

Search
Notices
Southeast Alabama | Arkansas | Florida | Georgia | Kentucky | Louisiana | Mississippi | North Carolina | South Carolina | Tennessee | Virginia

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-18, 09:25 AM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 784 Post(s)
Liked 1,238 Times in 686 Posts

Short introduction:
We are a couple from the Netherlands who currently live in Rotterdam and do most of our commuting and touring by train and bike.
My girlfriend is going to Durham (Duke University) from the beginning of next year (Jan. 2019 - Jun.)for six months and is thinking of bringing her bike with her or just buy one there.
She has lived in Toronto where she had a bike as well so we are used to riding in more crowded places.

Now we are aware that most of the US isn't as bike friendly as the Netherlands is but one question we are left with is this:
How safe is it to ride in and around Durham?

Any recommendations for gravel trails in the area?
Some other interesting spots she should go look at?
Tips and tricks?

Any help is welcome.

P.s. The main reason we are asking is because a colleague of her has lived there before and strongly recommended against cycling around there. Then again he is not a cyclist himself so he probably has a different views about it.
P.p.s. Maybe I'll join her there and I definitely would bring my own bike.
Old 05-30-18, 09:22 AM
Rje58

Bikes: 2011 Fuji Absolute 3.0 -- 1997 Trek 830 (modified to hybrid)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 548 Times in 170 Posts
The question of "How safe is it to ride in and around Durham?" is a complex one. I agree with your non-cycling friend that it could be very dangerous - depending on the times and places you choose to ride. There are places that are relatively safe - for example, the American Tobacco Trail, south of I-40. There are other places where it would be very dangerous to ride - some because of traffic, some because of the high crime rate. Some places would be extremely dangerous, especially for one or two cyclists, and even moreso for females.

The best thing to do is spend the first couple of weeks getting to know fellow students and cyclists, and let them guide you. When in doubt - DO NOT VENTURE into areas you are not familiar with!

The Duke University Campus is a generally safe place to ride - though often congested with motor traffic. There are several sights to see on campus. Duke Chapel and Duke Gardens come to mind. Neuse River Greenway is a nice place to ride about 45 minutes away in Raleigh, often congested on the weekends.

Be safe and have fun!

Originally Posted by JaccoW
Short introduction:
We are a couple from the Netherlands who currently live in Rotterdam and do most of our commuting and touring by train and bike.
My girlfriend is going to Durham (Duke University) from the beginning of next year (Jan. 2019 - Jun.)for six months and is thinking of bringing her bike with her or just buy one there.
She has lived in Toronto where she had a bike as well so we are used to riding in more crowded places.

Now we are aware that most of the US isn't as bike friendly as the Netherlands is but one question we are left with is this:
How safe is it to ride in and around Durham?

Any recommendations for gravel trails in the area?
Some other interesting spots she should go look at?
Tips and tricks?

Any help is welcome.

P.s. The main reason we are asking is because a colleague of her has lived there before and strongly recommended against cycling around there. Then again he is not a cyclist himself so he probably has a different views about it.
P.p.s. Maybe I'll join her there and I definitely would bring my own bike.
Old 07-26-18, 04:40 PM
Gconan

Bikes: Norco search xr

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 90 Posts
The neuse river trail is fantastic and would be well worth the 45 minute trip every time. Gravel riding @ umstead park which is much closer, and connects to both Raleigh and Cary greenways. Long ones that connects them all together. There are more greenways that a person could possibly ride.