Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Why Do Rich People Love Endurance Sports?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 04-19-19, 04:02 AM
50PlusCycling

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 380 Posts
For those who weren't born rich, becoming rich is an endurance sport. It takes extreme motivation and effort (though not necessarily a lot of smarts). If I go to the financial district and spend the day there, I will see bankers, executives, and others running laps around the park at lunch time, or spending an hour or two in the gym after a day of work. These guys typically spend 10 to 12 hours a day in the office, in busy firms they may work 6 days a week, those who are hungry might take only two days off per month.

I was formerly one of those 6-days-a-week, 12-hours-a-day people, and I began cycling to maintain my health and sanity. The more I worked, the more I needed to ride. I would get in 90 minutes before work every morning, and 3 to 5 hours per day on my day off. If you have enough discipline to push your body in endurance sports, you probably have what you need to become rich, and vice-versa.
Likes For 50PlusCycling:
Old 04-19-19, 04:32 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2131 Post(s)
Liked 1,639 Times in 822 Posts
Originally Posted by CycleryNorth81
Cycling, running, and obstacle course racing are dominated by white-collar workers.

https://getpocket.com/explore/item/w...=pocket-newtab
That's it? You read the link and that's your only comment? Must not be worth reading.
Old 04-19-19, 04:46 AM
FlMTNdude

Bikes: 1988 Panasonic, 1989 Fuji, Schwinn Beach Cruiser

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 45 Posts
Originally Posted by phile
Cause they're loud and sell beer? I don't think endurance sports have that
Go run the Cedro Peak 45 miler in Tijeras NM, there is a tequila shot table 1 mike from the finish line. The Durango Double trail section has free beer at the mid point as well as 2 beers waiting at the finish line. Don’t know of any cycling like that...but when I find it I will be there.
Old 04-19-19, 05:28 AM
robnol
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 15 Posts
Cycling, running, and obstacle course racing are dominated by white-collar workers.

its simple white collar worker dont do anything physically all day they have plenty of energy reserves to do endurance sports....
Old 04-19-19, 05:42 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
Very rich and wealthy people don't ride bicycles and they don't like anything that involves physical effort
Originally Posted by oldnslow2
Golf?
I posted to this thread Is Bicycling the New "Golf" and Then Some?”
Originally Posted by Dave Cutter
I sometimes joke that cycling has replaced bowling for many of us older men.
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
I read this thread in the context of the above quotes, i.e. golf as an adjunct to career advancement…When I joined my current organization in 1982, golf and tennis were those “advantageous” activities.

Nonetheless, I think cycling was a career advantage to me, maybe because I was unique.

Currently those traditional sports are essentially out of the picture (no more tournaments, etc), but I have several strong cycling colleagues.

Indeed the organization held a three months fitness challenge this Spring, and not to brag, but my cycling brought me into third place individually, and our team came in first.
Old 04-19-19, 05:50 AM
Brocephus
Professional amateur

Bikes: Does a Big Wheel count ?

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 89 Posts
Originally Posted by ColonelSanders
Endurance events are a metaphor for success in life.

A hard slog over a long time.
I was thinking something similar, but different. Rich people have more to live for, therefore a desire to hang around ('endure') as long as possible.
Old 04-19-19, 07:25 AM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts
Time and disposable income.

But you can also get into the more complicated aspects of nutrition, education, etc., they're all tied together.

I was just commenting the other day, as I was leaving for the office "late" one morning, on a conference call, and passed two neighbors who were doing the same exact thing, that it seems the more money people make, the more flexibility they tend to have in their schedules. Whereas minimum/low wage workers tend to be tied to a very strict schedule.
Old 04-19-19, 07:35 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5218 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
Sitting at a desk in front of a computer all day everyday would take a much greater toll on me both physically and mentally
the past 8 yrs have been torture for me & it shows
Old 04-19-19, 07:47 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
Originally Posted by robnol
its simple white collar worker dont do anything physically all day they have plenty of energy reserves to do endurance sports....
Stressful work situations, combined with no physical activity, is a ticking time bomb. You had better have some outlet to deal with that, other than heavy drinking (not that there's anything wrong with that ).

I would point out though, that not all people with white collar jobs are "rich", there are many jobs that require people to wear slacks and shiny shoes that don't pay squat, even though the person might appear to as though they earn good money. And likewise, there are lots of independently wealthy people and highly paid tradesmen who drive old cars and dress like complete slobs. White collar =/= Rich
Old 04-19-19, 07:51 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
Lot of hate going on here. Jealousy or ignorance?
No kidding! Wow.

And some weird stereotyping going on in this thread too.
Old 04-19-19, 07:51 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18318 Post(s)
Liked 15,270 Times in 7,223 Posts
Very rich and wealthy people don't ride bicycles and they don't like anything that involves physical effort.
Uh...Uncorrect. Unaware of the Walton dudes and their mountain biking much?
Old 04-19-19, 07:56 AM
indyfabz

Some of us, you know, ride or walk to work and, you know, run errands on foot or go to gyms in the middle of the day. One office where I worked in the 90s had its own fitness center. You have a myopic view of how people live. Or are you trolling?
Old 04-19-19, 07:56 AM
aclinjury

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 128 Posts
in addition to everything said in here, rich middle-aged men also tend to avoid the "stick and ball" sports because these sports usually require:
1. skills
2. getting physical contact
3. having to compete younger and more aggressive guys

The middle-aged men like to play something that requires a lot of solitary practices but with little skills. Basically it's partly a "feel good" competition. That's why they give out "finisher medals".
Old 04-19-19, 07:58 AM
riverdrifter

Bikes: 1985 Cannondale SR500, 1990 Cannondale ST600, 1993 Cannondale M700

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 272 Times in 105 Posts
All good points. I studied sports psychology in college and wrote a paper on this subject. My paper was specifically on rock climbing, but lots of crossover to other sports. There are some arguments as to why rich people are attracted to endurance sports (risk-taking mentality), but there are more arguments as to why low income people don't do it as much. It requires too much mental and physical energy, which low income people do not have a surplus of. They are using that energy just to get by day to day. There have been lots of poor climbers, but mostly that is by choice.
Old 04-19-19, 08:00 AM
indyfabz

My good friend got me into cycling as an adult. He's a carpenter and also restores old homes. I'll bet he can ride many of you into the ground.
Old 04-19-19, 09:20 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
I've been working at physical labour job for 9 hours per day 5 days per week for the past 20 years and I still get plenty of motivation and energy to ride my bike and do strength training workouts few times per week.
Old 04-19-19, 09:24 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Here in Canada ice hockey seems to be very popular activity amongst white collar office workers. I pass by a hockey arena on my morning commute and I see a lot of guys in suits getting out of their cars carrying hockey gear and getting their early morning workout by playing hockey and then going to work after that.
Old 04-19-19, 09:25 AM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Depending on the activity, endurance is the factor that fades slowest with age. So amateur athletics tend towards endurance events for people with disposable income and extensive leisure time.
Bingo. Much easier to run slowly, bike, and swim in old age than to play basketball.
Old 04-19-19, 09:39 AM
pickettt

Bikes: DiamondBack Podium 7, Focus Raven 1.0, Ritchey BreakAway Cross, (2) Trek 8500, Paramount PDG 90, Trek T2000, Redline Flight Pro 24

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 33 Posts

They may be “participating”, I wouldn’t call it dominating.
Old 04-19-19, 09:47 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
White collar people saw their pensions raided and their kids left impoverished so they need to keep themselves healthy to stay alive forever to pay their HELOC and put their grandkids through college too.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 04-19-19, 10:27 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by pickettt
They may be “participating”, I wouldn’t call it dominating.

Dominating in numbers, not necessarily in competition.
Old 04-19-19, 11:16 AM
honcho

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 30 Posts
Define "rich"

If a person possesses the health and physical ability to participate in an endurance sport or any physical sport, then I think one can argue that they possess a certain wealth that is more valuable than any economic measure of wealth.

"The only incurable troubles of the rich are the troubles that money can't cure,
Which is a kind of trouble that is even more troublesome if you are poor.
" -- The Terrible People by Ogden Nash

Last edited by honcho; 04-19-19 at 11:21 AM.
Old 04-19-19, 11:34 AM
Alloyboy

Bikes: Empire 3 speed. Resolution Get away mtb. 10 speed.Sekine. No rco. Mountaineer SL.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
[QUOTE=CycleryNorth81;20890820]Cycling, running, and obstacle course racing are dominated by white-collar workers.

Hello CycleryNorth81,
"Why do rich people" etc
This begs the question..........
What is the definition of Rich.
Back in Ireland I remember my father saying....."The richest man in the world is one with a contented mind."
Another poster mentioned the workplace fitness center.
Our fitness center was the pile of shovels. Giggle.
I was very fortunate in that I was able to commute by bike to work every day. I know it was only 5 miles in the morning and the same to go home at night. Lucky me I guess.
Stay warm. Jim.
Old 04-19-19, 11:40 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by honcho
Define "rich"

If a person possesses the health and physical ability to participate in an endurance sport or any physical sport, then I think one can argue that they possess a certain wealth that is more valuable than any economic measure of wealth.

"The only incurable troubles of the rich are the troubles that money can't cure,
Which is a kind of trouble that is even more troublesome if you are poor.
" -- The Terrible People by Ogden Nash
I've heard it said by pundits, as have I thought, that the people who spout platitudes that money isn't everything are often rich and well known enough that people would bother listening to what they say..."I don't care too much for money...Money can't buy me love."

Nonetheless, good health is invaluable, especially with age, and I liked this post:
Originally Posted by McBTC
The above study referred to above is behind a paywall but, the abstract about CHL (cognitively healthy longevity), is interesting in as much as it addressed frequency (such as daily) as well as the amount that may be considered, moderate [drinking]...
I like that term, as well as the concept of cognitively healthy longevity, worthy of its own initialism.

I have posted previously about my approach to CHL, in my anticipated retirement:
...my comiseration to those with health problems (IMO cycling can be an effective preventive maintainence).
Old 04-19-19, 12:12 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
So, how many Rich people did you ask this question?, and how did they respond..

get our that clipboard and pencil..

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.