Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Touring bike conversion

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-19, 01:51 PM
Weresquatch

Bikes: Just the normal stuff, cruisers, duilies, fatbike, road bikes, single speeds...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts
Touring bike conversion

Hello everyone, I've done some searching before posting but just looking for some quick hits for guidance. I'm looking to build up a late 60s touring frame to a something that can take on a bit of fire-roading/bike camping but still mostly iffy pavement. For going places my road bike won't and well, I like keeping my MTBs on singletrack. Anyway, the frame came with 27/1.25 tires but there is PLENTY of room. I'm leaning toward going 700x38 (I have a couple spare 700 wheel sets). General recs for tires and gearing? I'll be using friction shifters so I have some freedom as to cobbling together spec. Thank you for any help.
Old 05-13-19, 02:11 PM
Spoonrobot 

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1217 Post(s)
Liked 186 Times in 117 Posts
What's the bike? What brakes do you plan on using?
Old 05-13-19, 02:24 PM
Weresquatch

Bikes: Just the normal stuff, cruisers, duilies, fatbike, road bikes, single speeds...

Hi, thanks for responding. I have some pics of the bike over in "Vintage..." Evidence suggests it's a 1967 Kenko. I was thinking of using some vintage Dia-Compe center-pulls.
Old 05-13-19, 02:28 PM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
I hate down tube shifters and knobby tires. Ouch! Hopefully yours are up by the bars.

40mm is a little easier tire size to find. The trick of course is getting the calipers spread wide enough to squeeze the tire in without deflating it.
Likes For chas58:
Old 05-13-19, 02:53 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10964 Post(s)
Liked 7,490 Times in 4,189 Posts
Originally Posted by Weresquatch
General recs for tires and gearing? I'll be using friction shifters so I have some freedom as to cobbling together spec. Thank you for any help.
tires- whatever is big enough to fit in your frame with at least a few mm on either side for clearance.
suggestions- https://www.donnellycycling.com/coll...-bead-clincher or https://www.donnellycycling.com/coll...olding-120-tpi

as for gearing, use what is needed to get you up whatever hills you have while letting you also go as fast as you can on flat road. No idea what that will be, but for what its worth- typically gravel is tougher than pavement so you will want easier gearing. maybe a 46t instead of a 50t big ring. maybe 34t instead of 36t for the small. or maybe a triple.
Old 05-14-19, 01:56 PM
Weresquatch

Originally Posted by chas58
I hate down tube shifters and knobby tires. Ouch! Hopefully yours are up by the bars.

40mm is a little easier tire size to find. The trick of course is getting the calipers spread wide enough to squeeze the tire in without deflating it.
When I first started MTB racing in '89 I was using friction shifters on the down tube and a dirt drop bar (if it was good enough for Tomac). I just remember pretty much using two positions, slamming those levers down or cranking them up...not much trimming going on. Then I went to barcons....and same issues. I don't remember why but friction thumb shifters just seemed uncool. To this day I STILL have a pair of Sachs Extreme shifters I won that I use on my dualie.

I posted here as I'm new to the forum but I'm thinking this bike will be more crappy country road then gravel strewn double or single track. I'm mostly building it for fun and on the cheap so 700x38 paselas or maybe be like all the cool kids and go gravel kings :-P Advice welcome.
Old 05-15-19, 08:59 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
People have toured on unpaved roads, riding their bicycles .. past the end of the paved road..
Old 05-16-19, 06:41 PM
Banzai
Jet Jockey

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD9, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Nashbar X-frame bike, Bike Friday Haul-a-Day, Surly Pugsley.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 25 Posts
“Gravel bike” is the new marketing term for the older, less-sexy “touring bike” label.
Old 05-16-19, 08:35 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10964 Post(s)
Liked 7,490 Times in 4,189 Posts
Originally Posted by Banzai
“Gravel bike” is the new marketing term for the older, less-sexy “touring bike” label.
Except in all the instances it doesnt mean that...which is a lot.