Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Foo
Reload this Page >

Thoughts on cities out west to move to?

Foo Off-Topic chit chat with no general subject.

Thoughts on cities out west to move to?

Old 05-17-19, 10:36 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8253 Post(s)
Liked 354 Times in 210 Posts
Originally Posted by EJ123 View Post
Does anyone that live in these cities have any comments? Hiking, cost of living, low traffic times, food, museums, parks (local/state/national) are all high on my list. Thanks!
"Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountains is going home; that wilderness is a necessity. John Muir

That's why I moved here, and in that sense I've never been disappointed. Tomorrow I'm heading up to Cascade Pass to hike and watch avalanches.
Old 05-17-19, 11:47 PM
daoswald

Bikes: 2008 Cannondale Synapse -- 2014 Cannondale Quick CX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 15 Posts
I have always wanted to move out west, and have the chance to move out there to start fellowship. I was thinking in descending order:
1-Portland - love the city, lots of hiking!
2-Denver - but seems fun and close to more hiking
3-Sacramento (seems like a hidden gem and quickly rising on my list)
4-Salt Lake City - gorgeous hospital, but I am not LDS and do enjoy a beer/wine
5-Seattle - $$$
6-San Diego - $$$
7-Phoenix - Forgot most of my Spanish

Does anyone that live in these cities have any comments? Hiking, cost of living, low traffic times, food, museums, parks (local/state/national) are all high on my list. Thanks!
I've lived in, or spent a significant amount of time in half of those cities. There's not a bad choice among them. Salt Lake City of 2019 is not Salt Lake City of 1988. You might discover it's got everything you hope it could offer (minus beaches, but plus skiing and mountains closer than any of the other cities mentioned).

San Francisco bay area, Los Angeles, Portland, Salt Lake -- lived there. Seattle, San Diego -- Spent a lot of time there. Sacramento, Phoenix, Denver -- Been there many times. We picked Salt Lake intentionally with really any city in the West being available to us professionally. But everyone's needs and criteria are different. Many love it here in Salt Lake, and the state of Utah is experiencing a lot of growth due to a hot job market, clean cities, and excellent outdoor recreation. But as I mentioned, I don't think that any of the cities you mentioned would be a bad choice. Ultimately you make of your home what you want and are capable of making it. Any of those cities could be a terrible experience for someone prone to discontent and dissatisfaction. To people who choose to embrace the best that places have to offer, an enjoyable lifestyle can be found many places.

Ok, some specifics in SLC:
  • Depending on where you live in the city hiking can be walking distance from home at the closest. And at worst fifteen or twenty minutes by car away.
  • Cycling is very good in Salt Lake. Not all roads are excellent for cyclists, but wherever you live in the city there are countless excellent rides available. Where I live, I like heading up the canyons for a hard climb, or either north or south along Wasatch as the artery to carry me to other parts of the valley. I do bike-commute a few days a week, and that work out nicely too.
  • Skiing; the closest ski resort to my home is one stop light and eight miles away.
  • Camping: we have six national parks within five hours by car. We have 74 state parks. High alpine mountains? Yes. Desert dunes? Yes. Redrock and land formations? Yes.
  • Boating: We have good lakes for water skiing, fishing, and even sailing.
  • Ocean beaches: None, but there's Bear Lake, Lake Powell, Flaming Gorge, etc. We have lake beaches.
  • Housing prices: Pretty good here currently but the market is a little tight due to the positive population growth from people moving here from CA and other states.
  • Job market: For professionals, very hot. Tech and medical are in demand here.
  • City living; It's not Portland. It's not Seattle. It's still a fun city.
  • Traffic: LA and Portland were a lot worse. It's not too bad here.
I'm not sure what else to say about the place. And I don't need to sell you on SLC either; I very much enjoyed the other places I've lived too.

Last edited by daoswald; 05-17-19 at 11:57 PM.
Old 05-18-19, 12:15 AM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 2012 Trek DS 8.5

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 18 Posts
I have always wanted to move out west, and have the chance to move out there to start fellowship.

I was thinking in descending order ...

... Hiking, cost of living, low traffic times, food, museums, parks (local/state/national) are all high on my list.
Uncertain whether you'd be seeking employment or are retired. Uncertain whether you'd consider smaller towns.

With the exception of "big city" attractions like museums and the like, there are numerous smaller towns around the West that offer an amazing array of outdoor opportunities, parks, lower cost of living, low (to non-existent) traffic issues, etc.

A couple of towns near the West Coast: Arcata (California); Corvallis (Oregon). Both are "university" towns, with the cultural, social and vibrancy such places add to a community.

A couple of spots in Idaho: Hailey (smaller town just south of Sun Valley); Idaho Falls; Coeur d'Alene.

All of these places are right in the middle of (or near) loads of outdoor, DIY activities ... hiking, camping, fishing, hunting, cycling, kayaking/canoeing, etc.
Old 05-18-19, 12:32 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 6551 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 72 Posts
I have always wanted to move out west, and have the chance to move out there to start fellowship. I was thinking in descending order:
1-Portland - love the city, lots of hiking!
2-Denver - but seems fun and close to more hiking
3-Sacramento (seems like a hidden gem and quickly rising on my list)
4-Salt Lake City - gorgeous hospital, but I am not LDS and do enjoy a beer/wine
5-Seattle - $$$
6-San Diego - $$$
7-Phoenix - Forgot most of my Spanish

Califonia has taxes, and frankly, ALL cities you mentioned are crowded...

So why a big city? Sure, more job opportunities, but better to find the right job, than "any old job" in some city.

Look for a smaller town near some big city if you want some satisfaction and home town feeling.

Ask yourself what you are really looking for... seek that, not "a city."
Old 05-18-19, 09:35 AM
no motor?

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 984 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 62 Posts
Originally Posted by TakingMyTime View Post
My friends use to joke that the best view of Sacramento was from your rear view mirror.
When I was in college I would put a tape of the Low Spark of High Heeled Boys in the tape player when I was leaving to go home. It would get to the line in Rock And Roll Stew that said "I don't care where I've been I'm on the road again" as I was on the on ramp to the expressway and could see the town watertower in the rear view mirror. That was my favorite view of that town.
Old 05-18-19, 09:52 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 882 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 157 Posts
"Stuck in Lodi Again".

We had a new member register from Bellingham Washington last week. I could definitely see myself hanging out there for a while:

Old 05-18-19, 10:05 AM
wgscott
Banned

Bikes: Steel

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 225 Times in 141 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest View Post
We're closed. No room for more.
Well, there is always Bend.

Old 05-18-19, 10:07 AM
wgscott
Banned

Originally Posted by Clyde1820 View Post
Uncertain whether you'd be seeking employment or are retired. .
He said "fellowship," but didn't get specific, hence my question. That might dictate the options.
Old 05-18-19, 01:53 PM
fietsbob 
coprolite

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 188 Post(s)
Quoted: 6870 Post(s)
Liked 228 Times in 186 Posts
Wants to run a Church?
Old 05-18-19, 05:05 PM
wgscott
Banned

I was thinking postdoctoral fellowship or something similar.
Old 05-19-19, 12:33 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 8253 Post(s)
Liked 354 Times in 210 Posts
Originally Posted by Lemond1985 View Post
"Stuck in Lodi Again".

We had a new member register from Bellingham Washington last week. I could definitely see myself hanging out there for a while:

Komo Kulshan
Old 05-19-19, 04:06 AM
ooga-booga
lead on macduff!

Bikes: come and get 'em

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by no motor? View Post
When I was in college I would put a tape of the Low Spark of High Heeled Boys in the tape player when I was leaving to go home. It would get to the line in Rock And Roll Stew that said "I don't care where I've been I'm on the road again" as I was on the on ramp to the expressway and could see the town watertower in the rear view mirror. That was my favorite view of that town.
track three. underrated as is much of the album.
Likes For ooga-booga:
Old 05-20-19, 08:28 AM
EJ123
djentleman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wgscott View Post
He said "fellowship," but didn't get specific, hence my question. That might dictate the options.
It's to follow a medical residency. The tough part is it is no guarantee that they will even offer interviews, so that list of places could only realistically be half or even a quarter. And lots of west places are very competitive since people also want the outdoors.
Old 05-20-19, 08:35 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 882 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 157 Posts
OK, thanks. Let us know when you get a list of actual cities, there's probably someone here that's lived (and cycled) in every single place you could name.

Maybe we can find you someplace cool that no one knows about yet and hasn't been ruined.
Old 05-20-19, 12:16 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Moto Fantom29 ProSL hardtail

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 61 Posts
Interesting thread!

I'm in San Diego, my family moved here when I was a kid, I left for education, and eventually came back with a wife and raised a family of my own. However, due to the overpriced housing market, we're probably gonna cash out and retire somewhere smaller (in 10 or 20 years)

We bought our place at the end of 2012, got really lucky with timing at the bottom of a housing market dip as well as great interest rates. I don't know how much time you have, but you should be able to watch from afar all of these cities' housing prices (I think there's an article in the SD U-T every month discussing the newest monthly house price numbers), and if you ever see it drop like 25%, then come and buy, and have faith it will rise again in a few years.

Food I think is great here, if you like Mexican (great taco shacks on ever corner) and (for higher end) Asian-Pacific fusion and beer (huge microbrewery selection, including some giants like Stone, Ballast Point, AleSmith, Alpine, etc)

Phoenix I'd say is just too hot. Try instead something cooler in northern AZ, Flagstaff or environs maybe? Outdoors activities like hiking/biking would be better up there in the mountains/forests too, instead of just out on the bare dirt.

Somebody mentioned Albuquerque, I can say we've visited Santa Fe, and that seemed a lovely place. AQ would probably be nice too.

I lived one summer in Seattle back in the 90s, it was great. I was a student, a sublet a room in an apartment near UW, parked my truck all summer and rode my bike to campus every day. It barely rained, if at all. (That of course was the summer though). I think Portland would be a nice place too.
Old 05-20-19, 10:27 PM
wgscott
Banned

Originally Posted by ej123 View Post
it's to follow a medical residency. The tough part is it is no guarantee that they will even offer interviews, so that list of places could only realistically be half or even a quarter. And lots of west places are very competitive since people also want the outdoors.
u.c.s.f.

(The bb software insists on de-capitalizing this).
Old 05-21-19, 09:54 AM
Deal4Fuji
Friction Fan

Bikes: '82 Fuji Supreme, '84 Team Fuji, '83 Raleigh Olympian, '87 Lotus Excelle, '85 Centurion Ironman, '12 Trek Alpha 1.1, '77 Schwinn Speedster, Schwinn Trailway, Ross Central Park

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 69 Posts
My "punk rock girl" oldest daughter, who's trying to make a name for herself in the music biz is loading up her KIA and heading for Seattle in June I may be reaching out to some of you Seattle guys for some info if she gets in a bind. She's managing a couple of PNW bands and thinks the west coast "scene" has more opportunity than Raleigh, and it probably does but I'll worry.
Old 05-21-19, 11:03 AM
no motor?

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 984 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 62 Posts
A couple of friends moved to the PNW after visiting, and they love it. And I bet the people that grew up there are tired of hearing stories like this.

And on the other side of that situation, when we were getting ready to move back to Chicago from Dallas I had to scramble to find another rental truck after the company I'd reserved one with went out of business. My mentioning I was moving home to Chicago to stay helped me to get one.
Old 05-21-19, 10:15 PM
Hondo Gravel
The water is on fire

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 558 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 86 Posts
Two "This is God's Country" signs in Hondo, Texas, became a lightning rod of debate between city officials and Freedom From Religion Foundation representatives, who say the signs violate the First Amendment. Freedom From Religion FoundationMove here just be sure to drive nice
Old 05-21-19, 10:33 PM
ooga-booga
lead on macduff!

Bikes: come and get 'em

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 36 Posts
in san diego...taxes high, cost of living high...don't even think about buying. that said, the weather (which is the big draw) is pretty gentle, this year notwithstanding.
if you can ride in a little rain, a little fog, a little overcast mixed with generally low winds and temps generally between 60-82 with lotsa hills and lotsa coastal flats,
you'll be fine. traffic has its moments but about 20% of what the la basin has to deal with. the job market is pretty good. food/beer scene is kicking. biggest complaints?
having to drive through la enroute to getaways such as santa barbara or las vegas or mammoth before 6am to avoid said traffic and the lack of an appreciation of the arts.

Last edited by ooga-booga; 05-22-19 at 01:33 AM.
Old 05-22-19, 12:59 AM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Giant Contend SL Disc 2, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem, Priority Classic

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 14 Posts
There's a lot of truth to this even though it was meant as a joke. When I moved to Seattle in 2003, what appealed to me was the mid-sized city amenities but laid-back small-town feel compared to the metropolises I'd lived in before. It's grown a huge amount population-wise but not infrastructure-wise, and I don't think there's a path where Seattle upsizes while retaining its previous charm. It's still far from a world-class city but has some of the same downsides of much larger impersonal places that are a bit rough for newcomers to "make it."
Old 05-22-19, 05:15 AM
Pilot321

Bikes: 1987 Cannondale SR500

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I lived in a southern suburb of Denver not far from Centennial Airport for several years and really liked it. I only moved because my company promoted and moved me. It was great for all things outdoors, and I loved the weather/climate pretty much year round. Lots of bike trails, great hiking, biking, and off roading in the mountains.

However, since I left, the cost of housing has gone through the roof since many have figured out Colorado, especially the Front Range offers both job opportunities and a great quality of life.
Old 05-22-19, 05:37 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 6551 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 72 Posts
Ya know, not really mentioned... how about Ft Worth. Good jobs in the area... the city is on the upswing, there are some interesting changes in the area around Montgomery Plaza... and cycle paths and lanes are on the upswing. It is still Texas, with the usual Texas attitudes (take it or leave it), and hot, but Fort Worth is not Dallas, and it does retain a bit of small town west feel.

Gotta agree about San Diego... nice area, jobs, but oh so expensive... and traffic is NOT getting better.

Seattle... well, that constant overcast and drizzle about 7 months out of the year, high home prices, and traffic that will bring you to tears. But interesing vibe, and if you live/work in a more outlying area, you avoid the crush of traffic. Seattle does have a madatory helmet law... and the Burke-Gilman trail... so minuses and pluses.

Portland... interesting vibe, but more rain, higher and lower temps than Seattle. And Oregon taxes.

As I said before, figure out what you are looking for first... then find the city.
Old 05-22-19, 07:12 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 167 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8847 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 328 Posts
Missoula, MT area. Hiking, MTB-ing, fishing all close by. There is also a paved bike route that runs from town nearly 40 miles long U.S. 93 to Hamilton.
Old 05-22-19, 07:16 AM
Pilot321

Bikes: 1987 Cannondale SR500

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by indyfabz View Post
Missoula, MT area. Hiking, MTB-ing, fishing all close by. There is also a paved bike route that runs from town nearly 40 miles long U.S. 93 to Hamilton.
What are winters like there? How many months can you actually hike, fish, and bike comfortably?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.