Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Keeping Sunglasses Clean

Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Keeping Sunglasses Clean

Old 05-27-19, 08:41 AM
  #1  
BlarneyHammer
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
BlarneyHammer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Texas Hill Country
Posts: 273

Bikes: Invictus, Valeria, Jackie, and Vanguard

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Keeping Sunglasses Clean

Like many, I don't bring cotton shirts on bike tours. Polyester shirts don't do anything but smear the gunk across the lens. Half the time, I get the same effect from those microfiber eyeglass cloths.

Normally, my best bet is to wipe with something absorbent first (washcloth, T-shirt), then the microfiber eyeglass cloth. But if you don't have anything in that first category, well, what do y'all do?
BlarneyHammer is offline  
Old 05-27-19, 09:07 AM
  #2  
indyfabz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 22,741
Mentioned: 167 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8828 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 317 Posts
Soap, water, fingers, bandana, lens cleaning packet.
indyfabz is offline  
Old 05-27-19, 09:26 AM
  #3  
Hondo Gravel
Voted For Pedro
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Hondo,Texas
Posts: 1,073

Bikes: Motobecane Boris Fatbike, Motobecane Omni Strada Pro,Fantom Pro CX, Fantom X7 MTB, Gravity SS MTB.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 553 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 84 Posts
Walmart lens wipes. Works good.
Hondo Gravel is offline  
Likes For Hondo Gravel:
Old 05-27-19, 09:49 AM
  #4  
djb
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Montreal Canada
Posts: 8,965
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 49 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz View Post
Soap, water, fingers, bandana, lens cleaning packet.
in the last couple of years, I've laughed a few times because I have had my many, many decades old cotton bandana from my teenage days in the bottom of my handlebar bag, and I've only ever used it for my sunglasses.
I also have clear lenses in those little fabric pouches they give you when you buy sunglasses, and I use that too, but the bandana is right there.

as Indy states simply, if you get that much sunscreen on them, a bit of any soap and your fingers gets that off quickly, then use the small fabric holder or a bandana and you're set.

and dont stick your grubby paws on them in the first place!
djb is offline  
Likes For djb:
Old 05-27-19, 11:15 AM
  #5  
BlarneyHammer
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
BlarneyHammer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Texas Hill Country
Posts: 273

Bikes: Invictus, Valeria, Jackie, and Vanguard

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by djb View Post
as Indy states simply, if you get that much sunscreen on them, a bit of any soap and your fingers gets that off quickly, then use the small fabric holder or a bandana and you're set.

and dont stick your grubby paws on them in the first place!
The problem is usually sweat. Bandana is a good idea; think I'll bring one for that purpose, among others. There's always a use for a bandana.
BlarneyHammer is offline  
Old 05-27-19, 11:25 AM
  #6  
djb
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Montreal Canada
Posts: 8,965
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 49 Times in 40 Posts
funny, but despite doing a loooot of riding in very hot climates, Ive never had a problem of sweat on my glasses.

but as you say, my old, worn, very soft cotton bandana is perfect for wiping glasses, and/or that and the fabric pouches just need a good wash once in a while and they are good to go.
djb is offline  
Old 05-27-19, 11:33 AM
  #7  
fietsbob 
coprolite
 
fietsbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Posts: 41,396

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 188 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6866 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 228 Times in 186 Posts
Gin is an excellent glass cleaner .. a couple drops in a napkin will do it..
fietsbob is online now  
Old 05-27-19, 03:40 PM
  #8  
stardognine
Turquoise gatherer.
 
stardognine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Arid Arizona, for now.
Posts: 1,624

Bikes: 1985 Cannondale ST400

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 23 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob View Post
Gin is an excellent glass cleaner .. a couple drops in a napkin will do it..
Never heard of that, lol, but isopropyl alcohol works great. I usually keep a few spare paper napkins in my handlebar bag, for my glasses. Surprisingly, wet wipes will streak your glasses like crazy. 😒
stardognine is offline  
Old 05-27-19, 04:37 PM
  #9  
indyfabz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 22,741
Mentioned: 167 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8828 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 317 Posts
Originally Posted by BlarneyHammer View Post
There's always a use for a bandana.
They come in handy if you forget a length of toilet paper. Ask me how I know.
indyfabz is offline  
Old 05-27-19, 04:53 PM
  #10  
djb
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Montreal Canada
Posts: 8,965
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 49 Times in 40 Posts
hell, while we are on the "alternative usages of stuff" theme, I find the alcohol I use in my Trangia stove to be great for putting on the start of athlete foot or even the beginning of a saddle sore. Keep them both clean and a dab of stove alcohol helps with disinfecting and drying out, handy.
Important to catch both these things at the beginning before they get worse.
djb is offline  
Old 05-28-19, 09:59 AM
  #11  
pdlamb
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: northern Deep South
Posts: 5,277

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 997 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz View Post
Soap, water, fingers, bandana, lens cleaning packet.
First four work so well I didn't open the lens cleaning packet for years.
pdlamb is offline  
Old 05-28-19, 04:16 PM
  #12  
Leebo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: North of Boston
Posts: 5,439

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 19 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob View Post
Gin is an excellent glass cleaner .. a couple drops in a napkin will do it..
Barrel strength bourbon as well.
Leebo is offline  
Old 05-28-19, 05:45 PM
  #13  
robow
Senior Member
 
robow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 3,194
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
This is my area of expertise, and so my suggestion:
Always if possible and before anything else,
Run the eyeglasses under tap water, and if really grimy, warm soapy water. This important first step removes all the loose particulates that are on the surface of the lens. If you simply wipe a dry lens down with a shirt tail or even a special lens cleaning cloth, those loose particles will act like sandpaper and can scratch the lens. Never clean the lens dry if possible, if nothing else I'll often take my water bottle and spray some water on BOTH sides of the lens and then always wipe down with a soft cotton cloth, an old bandanna/handkerchief is great but an old cloth diaper or tea towel will work fine.
Don't ever use any Paper Products, no napkins, no paper towels, no kleenex ! Why? Because most paper products contain microscopic wood fibers that can scratch a lens or destroy the coating. Because of the myriad of lens coatings in this day and age, I can't make a blanket statement as to the safety of alcohol which may or may not harm the lens. Never use acetone or any strong solvents.

Back in the old days, when optical lenses were made out of glass, they generally had a much greater scratch resistance than today's plastic lenses. Today, well over 90% of all lenses are made out of plastic. Plastic lenses often have a scratch resistant coating applied to the front surface of the lens but in most cases, the posterior surface of the lens does not receive a scratch resistant coating because that is the surface that we grind the prescription on, therefore the posterior surface is much more likely to receive scratches from those small particulates that didn't get rinsed off before cleaning. Often if you hold the glasses up to the light, you might see small circular scratches on the posterior surface of the lens and they are almost always due to someone that has tried to clean the lens while dry and dirty. Yes, after the lens is ground, you can have an additional scratch resistant coating (notice I didn't say scratch proof, scratch proof doesn't exist) on the posterior surface, but most lenses won't have had that unless you paid a significant amount extra for that service.

One last thing, I see lenses destroyed all the time by someone who read something somewhere on the interwebs that told them that some common household product did wonders for cleaning the lens or to make it "fog proof". Be very careful of what your lenses are exposed to. Today's optical lenses are so much lighter and thinner than in the past but they are far less forgiving of rough treatment.
Hope this helps.
robow is offline  
Old 05-28-19, 06:49 PM
  #14  
djb
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Montreal Canada
Posts: 8,965
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 49 Times in 40 Posts
interesting robow, I always kept in mind the "no dry" thing for lens cleaning, I worked in photo for many decades and always took extra care with my expensive lenses, specifically for the anti glare and reflection coatings on them, and making sure you arent doing the sandpaper thing applies the same to eyeglasses thats for sure.
Going back to my motorcycle days, having a really clear visor , and with bicycles, very clear, non scratched, sun or clear glasses, is a real priority for me, so taking care of my sunglasses is super important.

good point to bring up.
Now if people care or make the effort, thats a different matter.
djb is offline  
Old 05-29-19, 12:24 AM
  #15  
DropBarFan
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 2,850

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 545 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by robow View Post
This is my area of expertise, and so my suggestion:
Always if possible and before anything else,
Run the eyeglasses under tap water, and if really grimy, warm soapy water. This important first step removes all the loose particulates that are on the surface of the lens. If you simply wipe a dry lens down with a shirt tail or even a special lens cleaning cloth, those loose particles will act like sandpaper and can scratch the lens. Never clean the lens dry if possible, if nothing else I'll often take my water bottle and spray some water on BOTH sides of the lens and then always wipe down with a soft cotton cloth, an old bandanna/handkerchief is great but an old cloth diaper or tea towel will work fine.
Don't ever use any Paper Products, no napkins, no paper towels, no kleenex ! Why? Because most paper products contain microscopic wood fibers that can scratch a lens or destroy the coating. Because of the myriad of lens coatings in this day and age, I can't make a blanket statement as to the safety of alcohol which may or may not harm the lens. Never use acetone or any strong solvents.

Back in the old days, when optical lenses were made out of glass, they generally had a much greater scratch resistance than today's plastic lenses. Today, well over 90% of all lenses are made out of plastic. Plastic lenses often have a scratch resistant coating applied to the front surface of the lens but in most cases, the posterior surface of the lens does not receive a scratch resistant coating because that is the surface that we grind the prescription on, therefore the posterior surface is much more likely to receive scratches from those small particulates that didn't get rinsed off before cleaning. Often if you hold the glasses up to the light, you might see small circular scratches on the posterior surface of the lens and they are almost always due to someone that has tried to clean the lens while dry and dirty. Yes, after the lens is ground, you can have an additional scratch resistant coating (notice I didn't say scratch proof, scratch proof doesn't exist) on the posterior surface, but most lenses won't have had that unless you paid a significant amount extra for that service.

One last thing, I see lenses destroyed all the time by someone who read something somewhere on the interwebs that told them that some common household product did wonders for cleaning the lens or to make it "fog proof". Be very careful of what your lenses are exposed to. Today's optical lenses are so much lighter and thinner than in the past but they are far less forgiving of rough treatment.
Hope this helps.
Good write Robow. Ages ago I bought a camera & the instructions said to never wipe lens with a cloth (box included some special paper wipes) so I incorrectly assumed paper towels were OK to wipe sport glasses. Recently I read paper towels scratched. Now I wash the bike glasses with soapy water & soft cloth & let them dry. I guess the coating prevents water spots.. BTW I've read that Rain-X now has a formulation designed for plastic lenses. I haven't tried that, maybe it helps keep the glasses clean.
DropBarFan is offline  
Old 05-29-19, 10:15 AM
  #16  
BigAura
 
BigAura's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Chapin, SC
Posts: 3,385

Bikes: all steel stable: surly world troller, paris sport fixed, fuji ss

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by mtb_addict View Post
An optometrist says: (1) rinse the lense under water faucet, (2) put a drop of dishwater soap on each lense, (3) use your finger tip to lather the soap on the lense, (4) rinse off the lense under water faucet.

I think the idea is your finger tip is very clean, you can keep it clean, you can feel if there's dirt on your finger tip, you rinse it off immediately.
Instead of cloth, because cloth traps dirt and become like sand paper.
Yep dish soap (eg Dawn), has excellent wetting agents and is optimal from my experience.
BigAura is offline  
Old 06-01-19, 07:09 PM
  #17  
seedsbelize 
necessary illusions
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Tixkokob, Yucatán, México
Posts: 11,452
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4790 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 38 Posts
By wearing a skullcap, I find there is much less need to clean my glasses. But I try to keep napkins handy, realizing that paper is not to be used on eyeglasses. This is for cleaning them in the field. Otherwise I use soap and water.
seedsbelize is offline  
Old 06-01-19, 07:22 PM
  #18  
DropBarFan
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 2,850

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 545 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
Last winter I read about cleaning ski goggles which sometimes require extra care to avoid removing the anti-fog coating. Folks recommend breathing on the glasses & wiping them with the soft cloth goggle bag. OTOH Smith says their goggles' coating doesn't get dissolved with mild dishwash (Dawn) detergent.

For bike glasses, how about using Dawn + fingertip or microfiber cloth to wash & perhaps microfiber cloth to dry if necessary? Microfiber cloth is very popular among car-detailing fans for being gentle on delicate finishes; caveat being that it's clean & free from any grit.
DropBarFan is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
lennyparis
Road Cycling
12
01-23-16 04:36 PM
kerk
Fifty Plus (50+)
51
08-09-11 08:33 AM
eskimo85
Pacific Northwest
2
07-25-08 11:51 PM
CycleMagic
Texas
33
07-25-07 08:42 AM
::velolove::
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
24
05-14-07 01:46 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.