Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Mountain Bike Fitness

Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Mountain Bike Fitness

Old 06-11-19, 01:55 PM
bbeasley
Cat 5 field stuffer

Bikes: Wabi Lightning RE, Wabi Classic

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Mountain Bike Fitness

Hi, I'm 61 y/o and have been off my road bike for 5 years. I used to ride ~120 miles / week. A friend got killed and that's the end of riding on the street for me. I recently got a mountain bike and am attempting to get back into shape. I've got great, fun trails 35 miles away for weekend riding. I have a 1/3 mile long gravel driveway on my property. I walk 2 miles/day and do wind sprints on my mountain bike on my driveway best I can. I'm about 15lbs away from a safe jogging weight and I'll start that up as soon as I can.

How do you folks build Mountain bike fitness when you can't ride off road except on the weekends? It appears to me it's a different type of fitness with all the accelerations as compared to the typical 60 mile weekend road group ride.

Thanks!
Old 06-11-19, 02:18 PM
Canker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 133 Posts
If you don't want to ride on the road you can pick up a trainer and put your old road bike on that. I use my trainer in the winter when it is too muddy to get out on the trails and too cold to get out on the road. I either use Zwift or just follow an interval training video on youtube.

Last edited by Canker; 06-11-19 at 10:20 PM.
Old 06-11-19, 06:11 PM
qclabrat

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 63 Posts
endurance riding on mountain bikes are now big in my area. Lots of race and events for those who don't want to race faster rides. Do you any gravel or rail trails by you? We have hundred of miles of these types of trails by me in NJ. Google rail trails in LA and see if any are nearby.
Old 06-12-19, 03:15 AM
North Coast Joe

Bikes: Couple of rigid MTB's and a fixed gear

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 12 Posts
67y/o here, who did the same thing about two years ago. Used to put in about 120 road miles per week. Now, I still try to ride daily, but if I cover 6-10 miles per session it's a big day!

I've found that the two disciplines require very different types of fitness. I could ride the roads at 14-18mph for a couple of hours and never run out of wind, but 1/2 hour of jumping logs, crossing roots & riding skinnies and I'm sweating & sucking air. MTBing is a more whole body workout, and for me, much more aerobic.

I can't go to the park every day to ride, so I started in my driveway, too. There's more than just windsprints to be had there. There's wheelies and manuals and fakies, there's precision riding drills (following a straight line or turns with exact wheel placement). If you can't hold a trackstand for 15 seconds now, practice in your driveway...you'll find it useful in the woods.

I have a tiny back yard, but I ride there, too. It has a whole course of home built obstacles. Pictures are on a different device, but I'll try to post again to show what I did later. That REALLY helped my time in the woods as it's given lots of practice on approaches and follow throughs to obstacles (really important to success). The back yard features include split firewood lines and curves to simulate roots, treated lumber skinnies, ramp jumps, platform jumps and log jumps. All obstacles are not terrifyingly large to avoid major injury in event of failure, but demand proper technique for success. Pretty fun and right here at home!

Good luck, you'll find plenty to work on!
Likes For North Coast Joe:
Old 06-12-19, 03:27 AM
North Coast Joe

Bikes: Couple of rigid MTB's and a fixed gear

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 12 Posts
A pic

Forgot about the rock garden back there!
Likes For North Coast Joe:
Old 06-12-19, 07:29 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5218 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
I've read that cycling is the best training for cycling. I stick to the most level MTB trails I can find. I don't need a heart attack climbing one hill so I can rest at the top to control breathing so I can coast down the other side. I walk/hike up the big boys (just read that 2 men died while competing in the Madison, Wisconsin, Ironman, 38 & 61 yrs old)

Last edited by rumrunn6; 06-12-19 at 09:51 AM.
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 06-12-19, 09:55 AM
bakerjw

Bikes: Giant TCR/Surly Karate Monkey/Foundry FireTower/Curtlo Tandem

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 62 Posts
I agree that mountain biking is a whole body workout. That is something that road cyclists need more of IMHO.

But, I ride the roads a lot. It definitely helps me climb when I get off road.
Old 06-17-19, 07:48 AM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
Must ride more, bike paths? 3 x a week to improve. Spin class? Not what I do but works for some. I have trails 200 yds from my driveway.
Old 06-18-19, 08:32 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2965 Post(s)
Liked 1,164 Times in 761 Posts
Road biker makes you a better mountain biker. Mountain biker makes you a better road biker.

You can get killed driving your car down the street. To stop road riding because of what happened to a friend is probably not the proper approach to take.

Or maybe you have some paved bike paths near home?
Old 06-18-19, 08:38 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2965 Post(s)
Liked 1,164 Times in 761 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
I stick to the most level MTB trails I can find.
That's kind of boring.

I walk/hike up the big boys (just read that 2 men died while competing in the Madison, Wisconsin, Ironman, 38 & 61 yrs old)
Probably had other health issues going on they were unaware of that had nothing to do with competing in the Ironman.
Old 06-18-19, 09:34 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5218 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71
That's kind of boring
lol it's not too bad, I'm still having fun. I'm 60 & just got a cheap preowned MTB last summer ...

Old 06-27-19, 09:45 AM
Mountain Mitch

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Exp ert Road and Specialized Stump Jumper FS Mountain; De Vinci Caribou touring, Intense Tracer T275c, Cramerotti, Specialized Allez, Condor

Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 53 Posts
Mountain bike riding, at least around here, is a lot like doing wind sprints. Road biking is more like long distance running. It will help fitness for MTB but since you have sworn off, I’m not going to try and convince you. MTB involves intense climbing activity followed by less active, more skill oriented descents. You don’t ask about building the skills, just the fitness. I think a good spin program is best. If that isn’t available then build your own with a wind trainer or stationary bike at the gym. But any high intensity interval training is great.

Check around, there may be other, closer trails you can access, even if they aren’t that long or challenging.
Old 06-27-19, 07:00 PM
Whib

Bikes: Giant Fathom 1, Giant Escape Disc 1, Co-op ADV 2.3

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by North Coast Joe

Forgot about the rock garden back there!
Very cool!
Old 06-28-19, 12:40 PM
gnappi

Bikes: All are vintage... Schwinn 564, Cannondale Criterium 600, Cannondale F300 MB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
Congrats on getting back in the saddle, I'm 67 and my Mtn bike has taken over my bike duties for the same purpose as you. Like you, I had been off the bike for several years.

The roads here (So. Flo) are full of drunks, retirees (I'm one) daydreamers and texters and the fact is bicyclists get swatted more often than other places. So I ride almost exclusively on our generously provided sidewalks, but with their many obstructions necessitating riding through gravel, grass, and rocks, the best I can squeeze out of it is 17 mph and I do my regular daily route of 12-14 miles in ~ an hour.

My resting heart rate is down and the weight is off by 14 pounds with a target of 10 pounds to go.

North coast Joe has a GR8 idea there! I wish I had the space.
Likes For gnappi:
Old 07-10-19, 05:16 PM
Spaghetti

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Generally any cardio would help, I like hiking and stationary bike at gym.