Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Schwinn Breeze Riders Unite! :-D

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Schwinn Breeze Riders Unite! :-D

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-05, 05:28 PM
DynamicD74

Bikes: ' 96 Trek 830 Mountain Track,'74 Schwinn Suburban, '74-ish Fuji Dynamic 10, '73 Schwinn Varsity,'73 Schwinn Breeze, '94 Schwinn Sidewinder. First Schwinn was a '74 Schwinn 24 inch Varsity in Lime Green, and previously owned a '74 Schwinn Breeze

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
....or at least, admit you ride one and tell us about it, or even better....post a picture! When the Schwinn Breeze was sold, it was, to paraphrase one of the catalogs, an economic choice for someone who didn't want to sacrifice quality. So, even though they are/ were less expensive, with not as many components or with as high a quality components and are not yet sought after by the majority of the collectors, they are great, smooth riding, sturdy bikes for when you just want to cruise around.

I'll start....mine is a 1973 Campus Green Single Speed with Coaster Brake Breeze. I have been looking for one like this for a while and just picked it up within the past three weeks. At one time, it must have been somebody's pride and joy, because it's in great condition, with only a few scratches as a result of normal use. I've shined up the chrome and hope to polish the frame and get a tune up ASAP. I'll post pics as soon as I get a chance to take them. I plan to accessorize with a wicker basket, Hawaii bike plate and streamers. (I still have to find some streamers.) Anyway, let's hear about and/or see those FABULOUS Schwinn Breeze bicycles!!!!
Old 12-06-05, 06:56 PM
BobHufford
Keeper of the SLDB

Bikes: '75 Schwinn Paramount P-10, '86 Ritchey Commando, '87 Schwinn Cimarron, '91 Trek 990, '87 Schwinn High Sierra, '73 Schwinn Super Sport, '4? Schwinn New World, '76 Swing Bike.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Catalog ...

https://www.geocities.com/varsity1966.../72ccpg23b.jpg

Bob Hufford
Springfield, MO
Old 12-06-05, 07:12 PM
Pompiere

Bikes: 1984 Miyata 310, 1986 Schwinn Sierra, 2011 Jamis Quest, 1980 Peugeot TH8 Tandem, 1992 Performance Parabola, 1987 Ross Mt. Hood, 1988 Schwinn LeTour, 1988 Trek 400T, 1981 Fuji S12-S LTD, 197? FW Evans

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 531 Post(s)
Liked 1,004 Times in 514 Posts
I just aquired a red '73 Breeze from my mother-in-law for my 12 year-old daughter. It's three speed with hand brakes and 17 inch frame.
Old 12-06-05, 10:43 PM
DynamicD74

Bikes: ' 96 Trek 830 Mountain Track,'74 Schwinn Suburban, '74-ish Fuji Dynamic 10, '73 Schwinn Varsity,'73 Schwinn Breeze, '94 Schwinn Sidewinder. First Schwinn was a '74 Schwinn 24 inch Varsity in Lime Green, and previously owned a '74 Schwinn Breeze

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I used to have a '74 Red Breeze with the three speed and hand brakes, like you mentioned. It's on my list of "bikes I wish I still had!" Enjoy the ride!
Old 12-07-05, 03:48 PM
DynamicD74

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Alright....Let's get this party started! This is my 1973 Schwinn Breeze in Campus Green. She is a single speed, coaster brake bicycle. Although I've been looking for a bike like this for a while, I just acquired her a couple of weeks ago. I haven't had a chance to really clean her up yet, but she is in great shape, except for the usual scratches a bike only 9 years younger than me would have. ( I have many more dings than she does! ) Anyway, here are some pics, including one of the Bendix Coaster Brake Arm. I have added the NOS Schwinn reflectors. The package said 1974, so I figure it's an upgrade. Personally, I think they look great! I've also added a bell and the basket, which I only plan to put on it when I need it. And, the last pic is of her 1973 license plate that shows where I wish I was riding my Breeze! (Thanks, sandii-hi of HI!)

Last edited by DynamicD74; 12-07-05 at 07:15 PM.
Old 12-07-05, 09:14 PM
peterbarson
hobby-ist

Bikes: Schwinn WorldSport, Schwinn LeTour, Jamis Crosscountry, Litespeed Saber,

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I just gave a yellow ladies one away on "FreeCycle" I found it on the curb, I was gonna clean it up for my wife, but she wasn't interested, I kept the seat to uglify my train station bike (LeTour). I never rode it, but I re,packed the rear hub and was shocked at how good the condition of it was. and when reinflated the tire still held air. So I posted it, and had a taker in a few days, who was very excited.
Old 12-07-05, 10:57 PM
broomhandle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
wifes 69 breeze... soon to be replaced....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
breeze.jpg (69.1 KB, 166 views)
Old 12-07-05, 11:11 PM
DynamicD74

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
NICE! I love the red color! If it had chrome fenders, and was a '74, it would look just like one I used to have and wish I hadn't given away! Maybe, you could keep this one in storage for the occasional need to cruise around the block on a smooth, sharp-looking, vintage ride
Old 12-07-05, 11:22 PM
broomhandle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by broomhandlde
wifes 69 breeze... soon to be replaced....
the bike that is... haha
Old 12-08-05, 08:10 PM
DynamicD74

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by BobHufford
Catalog ...

https://www.geocities.com/varsity1966.../72ccpg23b.jpg

Bob Hufford
Springfield, MO
Hey Bob! What year is that catalog? I have a '73 and a '74 catalog with different pictures, of course. I can't tell by the web address if it's a '66 or '72. Just curious....! Have a great night!
Old 12-08-05, 10:27 PM
BobHufford
Keeper of the SLDB

Bikes: '75 Schwinn Paramount P-10, '86 Ritchey Commando, '87 Schwinn Cimarron, '91 Trek 990, '87 Schwinn High Sierra, '73 Schwinn Super Sport, '4? Schwinn New World, '76 Swing Bike.

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
It's 1972 ...

https://www.geocities.com/sldbconsume.../72ccpg23.html

Bob Hufford
Springfield, MO
Old 12-09-05, 07:34 AM
DynamicD74

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by BobHufford
It's 1972 ...

https://www.geocities.com/sldbconsume.../72ccpg23.html

Bob Hufford
Springfield, MO
I didn't know you had catalogs on your Lightweight Data Book site! How fun! I'll have to pay better attention, huh? Thanks again!
Old 01-22-06, 05:16 AM
cruiserfive

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I found that 74' Breeze Sturmy 3 Speed today for $20 that I an happy to say is in decent condition. By the shop sticker it was originally out of a bike shop from Kettering, Ohio. It's all original with chrome fenders. Oh, and it's RED and looks pretty or will by the time I get it cleaned up. The paints in descent shape as well as the pin stripping. Some rust with no pitting in the chrome areas that I have seen yet. With me special bike polish it will all come off for I have cleaned worse. All it needs is a little TLC and a girl. You single? q;O) What size frame is your Green 73"? This one is a 17" I need a new handle bar for it for it got bent at some point in it's life. It's also missing the rear fender reflector.

I found a 69' Breeze Single Speed close to 2 years ago. I paid $15 for it and it was in rough shape. Bent frame, oxidized paint and the pin stripping long gone. I salvaged some of the parts to use on my Black 80' Cruiser Five. The Crusier Five was 97% original for a good 10 years after restoring it but I decided to rip that huge saddle off and put on a Brooks saddle of about the same year. I also replaced the bars with the more stream line bars off the 69'. I plan on leaving the 74' Breeze all original except for maybe the saddle. I need a replacement bar for it and I do not want to use the one I put on my Cruiser Five.

Last edited by cruiserfive; 01-29-06 at 12:42 AM.
Old 01-22-06, 10:51 AM
Rabid Koala
Chrome Freak

Bikes: 71 Chrome Paramount P13-9, 73 Opaque Blue Paramount P15, 74 Blue Mink Raleigh Pro, 91 Waterford Paramount, Holland Titanium x2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 14 Posts
Love that Campus Green!

On one of my frequent bike routes, there was a Schwinn Typhoon (?) in the large living room window. Had the two tone seat, too, and looked to be in pristine condition. I'm guessing it was a 1969 or so.

What a great living room decoration!
Old 01-22-06, 12:26 PM
raverson

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
My sister picked one up for me for $15. I plan to get her cleaned up for Craigslist. The city kids around here love the old 3 speeds.
Old 01-22-06, 10:25 PM
MnHPVA Guy

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 11 Posts
Until I found my wife's Breeze, the only Schwinns I'd ever owned were
Paramounts. I've always viewed the bike boom era, one piece crank
varieties as little more than Huffy's with good PR. After spending a
few hours working on this one I'm impressed.

I stopped at a garage sale, just to see if they had any old
British bikes. All they had was an old woman's frame Schwinn 3
speed. But I figured a 36h Sturmey Archer hubshell (most British 3
speeds were 40H) and a working shifter were worth the $10 asking price.

When I got it home, Jane says "That's kinda cute. How does it
run?" I'd not looked at it as anything but some useful parts, but
closer examination showed I had a yellow '73 Breeze that appears to
have been knocking around in someone's garage for 3 decades, but
ridden very little. Lots of minor dings and scratches, and rust on
the chrome. The clear part of the transfers had discolored to brown,
but OEM tires and brake pads show little wear. The 32 year old
blackwall tires showed no ozone cracking. The mattress saddle has no
tears or cracks in the vinyl, unlike similar old Brooks' always do.

The bearings were all in adjustment so I just injected Phil Tenacious
Oil into them to revive the old grease. Several drops of 5W30 into
the SA and a little TriFlow in the cables and brake pivots had the
bike working like new. Every spoke nipple turned with little or no
"plink"ing (I've had NEW Huffy spokes break when trying to adjust
them) so I snugged them all up 1/2 a turn. Turns out the rust on the
chrome was the type that disappears with a little SimiChrome and 0000
steel wool. I'll leave it alone though, "camouflage".

I installed a set of Wald's biggest rear baskets, a big
"Comfort" saddle, 22t Nexus cog and a 36t Wald chainring to turn this into a sweet
little shopper for her. https://bikesmithdesign.com/MyBikes/breeze.jpg Since the photo I've added lights.

The perfect errand bike - geared low, looks a little shabby, runs great.
Old 01-22-06, 11:56 PM
BobHufford
Keeper of the SLDB

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by MnHPVA Guy
Until I found my wife's Breeze, the only Schwinns I'd ever owned were
Paramounts. I've always viewed the bike boom era, one piece crank
varieties as little more than Huffy's with good PR.
You should always listen to the Captain ...

Bob Hufford
Springfield, MO
Old 01-23-06, 08:49 AM
Rabid Koala
Chrome Freak

Bikes: 71 Chrome Paramount P13-9, 73 Opaque Blue Paramount P15, 74 Blue Mink Raleigh Pro, 91 Waterford Paramount, Holland Titanium x2

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 14 Posts
Looks like someone changed out the front chainwheel. I ahve never seen one like that on a Schwinn.
Old 07-11-07, 09:51 AM
nmorell

Bikes: Schwinn 1973 Breeze - Collegiate Green

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1973 Schwinn Breeze - Campus Green

Hi, do you still own your bike? I just got one yesterday, according to the serial ID its from May 1973. Mine is a 3 speed with hand brakes. I have ordered the green hand grips, but need more things. Such as , isnt there supposed to be a reflector in that spot on the rear fender? I am working on getting streamers and I ahve to have a license plate, but have failed to find 1973. Any help you can provice would be greatly appreciated.

Nilda
Old 07-11-07, 09:56 AM
East Hill
Lanky Lass

Location: Take a deep breath, and ask--What would Sheldon do?

Bikes: Nishiki Nut! International, Pro, Olympic 12, Sport mixte, and others too numerous to mention.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Nilda, do you have photos?

Welcome to Bike Forums!

East Hill
Old 07-11-07, 10:16 AM
sekaijin

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Classic, 1984 Schwinn LeTour, 1998 Gary Fisher Marlin, 1969 Hercules, 1977 Sekai 5000 Superlite, 1993 Koga-Myata TerraLiner, 2013 Trek Farley.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Computer issues are delaying me from posting photos of the Breeze I just got for $20, to fix up for my wife. An October 1973 serial number on a 3-speed in yellow ... make that Kool Lemon.

Love the 1972 catalog photo, thanks Bob!

I showed that photo to a neighbor who said, "That was my Mom's bike! One of my earliest memories is of riding behind her in my baby seat."
Old 07-11-07, 11:06 AM
ilikebikes
K2ProFlex baby!

Location: My response would have been something along the lines of: "Does your bike have computer controlled suspension? Then shut your piehole, this baby is from the future!"

Bikes: to many to list

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 31 Posts
Hi Nilda and welcome! Ive also had Breezes in the past, Im sure Ill come by another some day =)
Old 07-12-07, 04:52 AM
cyqlist

Bikes: Mobiky, PBW, Jim Redcay, old Chicago Schwinns

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MnHPVA Guy
I installed a set of Wald's biggest rear baskets, a big
"Comfort" saddle, 22t Nexus cog and a 36t Wald chainring to turn this into a sweet
little shopper
I put a 40t Wald chainring on my early 70's Racer, and also lowered the chainguard.
Is the Racer the diamond frame equivalent of the Breeze?
Old 07-16-07, 08:08 AM
sekaijin

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Classic, 1984 Schwinn LeTour, 1998 Gary Fisher Marlin, 1969 Hercules, 1977 Sekai 5000 Superlite, 1993 Koga-Myata TerraLiner, 2013 Trek Farley.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

It's great to see such a loyal following for the humble, indestructible, tank-heavy Schwinn Breeze.

My wife said she'd be willing to try riding a bike ... she has not owned or ridden one since she was a kid. So I've been looking for a vintage step-through to fix up for her.

I pulled over at a church garage sale, on a hunch they would have old bikes. They did - though the bikes were not for sale. But the priest agreed to sell me this one they weren't using, for $20.

October 1973 serial number

I wonder if the seat tube decal will survive, if I take off the stickers.

I hope the saddle will clean up ... WD-40 with a lot of elbow grease helps a little, but it's slow going. Any other suggestions?

The other grip is rotated the wrong way, and I can't budge it ... any ideas?

It has these Miller generator-powered lights ... kind of cool looking, but I guess I'll be taking them off since the bike won't be used at night.

I also plan to take off the rack, and look for a wire basket for the handlebars.
Old 07-16-07, 08:58 AM
waldowales
Old Fogy

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Breeze

Daughters 68 three speed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
68Breeze1.jpg (84.3 KB, 125 views)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.