Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Best Car for Bike Owners?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Best Car for Bike Owners?

Old 05-04-16, 12:06 PM
PaulRivers

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 495 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Tycho Brahe View Post
Does anybody with a small SUV/crossover keep their bikes inside standing up? I have seen pictures of bicycles inside an CR-V, but I am wondering about other cars such as the CX-5, Tucson, etc.

If I cannot stand my bike up, I would just opt for a smaller hatchback and not an SUV.
I think those are usually pics where the bike is standing up but the front wheel is removed.
My family has often transported bikes that way in suvs/minivans. But you have to remove the front wheel for it to work.
Old 05-04-16, 12:23 PM
Tycho Brahe 

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by PaulRivers View Post
I think those are usually pics where the bike is standing up but the front wheel is removed.
My family has often transported bikes that way in suvs/minivans. But you have to remove the front wheel for it to work.
Absolutely. Yes, I am aware that the front wheel should be off and preferably mounted.

Part of my worry is that my bike would be on the taller sider (58) compared to many of the bikes pictured. My inseam is 34", so my seat sticks up a considerable amount.
Likes For Tycho Brahe:
Old 05-04-16, 12:28 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6834 Post(s)
Liked 691 Times in 439 Posts
Originally Posted by rekmeyata View Post
Drifting a rear wheel drive car is never faster on dry roads then a smooth maintaining traction type of turn, it's just fun to do. On gravel or dirt you have to drift because you don't have much traction anyways so drifting is more helpful. On dry pavement the only way to do a (hairpin) 180 is to get the rear end to slide around, trying to do that smoothly would be a lot slower, but that's probably the only circumstance except for hill climbing where if you didn't drift you would lose momentum which will slow you down too much, so drifting in hill climbing allows that momentum to continue and not bog you down forcing you slow down and speed up all the time.

Like I said, drifting and sliding on dry pavement is a load of fun, a little hard on tires but the fun is worth it. However drifting a front wheel drive car is necessary so as to induce oversteer by using the emergency brake lever.

Sometimes if you watch a NASCAR or INDY or Formula etc, races closely, especially the last 25 or so laps the drivers are going all out and you'll see them exiting turns and sliding out in a controlled manner of course ever so slightly, this is called slip angle.

There is a lot more to all of this but that's enough basic info for this.

Breaking into a four wheel drift at the exit of a turn in SCCA type road racing is far different from the wild tail-out displays seen in today's drifting competition.

The bicycle comparison is sliding a tire on the exit of a turn in a crit vs fixie skid stops. \The former is controlled, at the limit of performance. The latter is intentionally passing the limits of performance for display purposes and, as stated above, is "a little hard" on equipment.
Old 05-04-16, 01:16 PM
PaulRivers

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 495 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 16 Posts
Absolutely. Yes, I am aware that the front wheel should be off and preferably mounted.

Part of my worry is that my bike would be on the taller sider (58) compared to many of the bikes pictured. My inseam is 34", so my seat sticks up a considerable amount.
Ah, for that I can only suggest that you bring the bike into the dealership and see if it fits in the back of the car with the front wheel off. Just a few inches makes the difference, and there's a lot of variation between models.

My dad went (with a 56" bike) from being able to fairly easily fit it in the back of a dodge caravan, to a new suv where he had to remove his seat to fit it in the back. He put a seatpost collar around the point where the seat needed to drop to, so it was easy to take off and put on again at the exact same spot, but that's not as easy as just taking the front wheel off.
Old 05-04-16, 01:27 PM
jtaylor996
INSERT_TITLE_HERE

Bikes: 2016 Cannondale Synapse 105, 2016 Salsa Pony Rustler X01

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2940 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
Does anybody with a small SUV/crossover keep their bikes inside standing up? I have seen pictures of bicycles inside an CR-V, but I am wondering about other cars such as the CX-5, Tucson, etc.

If I cannot stand my bike up, I would just opt for a smaller hatchback and not an SUV.
Won't fit like that in the back of my forester with the front wheel on. I rode to an event recently in a friend's Honda Element, and his BMC easily fit in the back like that.
Old 05-04-16, 05:26 PM
rekmeyata

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by jtaylor996 View Post
Slip angle is defined as the angle between the tires and the direction of travel. It happens in all turns, drifting or not. Without it cars would not be able to steer, in any conditions.

Going fast has to do with optimizing where you are on one of these charts:

Drifting is way off the far end of this chart, which is why it's slow.

The reason I'm saying this is that your definition (or at least the way you're phrasing it) seems to make it like slip angle is only something that happens when you're off the end of the above chart... which is not correct. When cars are sliding around, it's not called "slip angle" it's called "exceeding the maximum effective slip angle".
A lot of people mix those terms up, I hear NASCAR and INDY announcers all the time talking about a car drifting slightly and sometimes they'll play it back in slow motion while talking about the car drifting.

Technically you're right, but it's a rule that's not followed to closely, and that's probably because the average person doesn't know what slip angle is but they do understand the word drifting. That's why I said at the end of my post you're were citing that there was more too it which I didn't feel going on and on about it would serve the OP's post well, so I explained it as basic as I could even though technically it wasn't 100% correct as you pointed out, but you knew what I was talking about like anyone else would as well who doesn't even know what slip angles are.
Old 05-04-16, 05:44 PM
Scratcher09

Bikes: '80 Miyata 210, '05 Fuji Team Issue, '75 Motobecane Nomade Sprint, 2010 BMC Racemaster, '77 Raleigh Grand Prix, '83 Raleigh Marathon

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Subaru Baja worked well for me. I built a locking rack in the bed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
image.jpg (99.4 KB, 456 views)
Old 05-04-16, 07:55 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Originally Posted by Scratcher09 View Post

AKA Subaru Withoutback.
Old 05-04-16, 08:50 PM
rekmeyata

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Scratcher09 View Post

I think those are so cool looking, a little impractical as a serious truck with no real hauling or towing capacity, but for looks and carrying bikes it would be idea. I wish Subaru would come out with another truck except this time a 1/2 ton truck with their in line 6 and turbo charge it for hauling and towing ability, such an engine could easily put out 400 horsepower which is more than enough to tow things with, not to mention being a fast truck.
Old 05-05-16, 07:24 AM
mrfreezesdefy3

Bikes: 2016 giant advanced carbon disc bike ,w HED belgiums,dt swiss 350 hubs,all new ultegra drive train etc

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I love my new 4 door f-150 4x4 bikes go in the back ,or back cab to be secure
Old 05-05-16, 07:32 AM
DoctorTattoo

Bikes: Velotraum 7005 EX Plus, Rohloff 500/14, SON Front, Edelux II, SON Tail. R+M Delite GX HS Rohloff.

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My current car is a 2007 BMW 320d Wagon. With the rear seats folded down I can fit my bicycle in the interior with only removing the front wheel. I also have a German style trailer hitch rack that holds two bicycles that I find more convenient at times but it is less secure than inside. It gets roughly 1,000 km per tank which is very nice and loves the autobahn. My next vehicle will probably be another small wagon and definitely a diesel.

Shawn
Old 05-05-16, 07:45 AM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 435 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 109 Posts

Not in a Toyota Highlander. I have to lay them down, which is easy with one bike, difficult with two and almost impossible with three.
But I have a friend with a Lexus SUV (i think it's a 470) and after popping off the front wheels he can stand three bikes upright, side by side, in the back of his vehicle.

edit: oops. i just noticed you aksed about a 'small' suv. nevermind.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Likes For Nachoman:
Old 05-14-16, 11:37 PM
Doug28450

Bikes: 2016 Giant Propel Advanced SL 1

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1668 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
bump
Old 05-15-16, 09:58 AM
Herbie53

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 485 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

A Honda Element (see earlier in the thread) will do this with both wheels on the bike. Before I had an Element, I had a Fit, I had a piece of lumber with a couple fork mounts on it in the back so it would take two bikes standing with the front wheels removed.

Both of these vehicles have fairly high rooflines and low floors.
Old 05-19-16, 06:28 PM
T Stew

Bikes: All 80s Schwinns: 88Prologue, 88Circuit, 88Ontare, 88KOM, 86SS, 88Tempo, 88V'ger, 80V'ger, 88LeTour, 82LTLuxeMixte, 87 Cimarron, 86H.Sierra, 92Paramount9c

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I like just sliding the bike right in upright in front of the rear seats. No folding seats up or down, clearing them off, or taking wheels off or any of that. Absolute PITA to get the wheels off with the low rider rack in the way anyhow, end up having to completely unscrew the quick release to get the wheel out. Of course it'd be silly to buy a truck just to haul a bike around. I rarely leave home without one in the back seats or back end. Never now when you might want to ride. Can still fit plenty of stuff in the back seats too.

Old 09-10-16, 05:48 PM
Peddler123

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WalksOn2Wheels View Post
Since the thread is already mostly off the rails, save for the fact that it still relates to cars, I found a pretty happy medium in the "cheap car/ownership" experience vs. "that is obviously a cheap/run down car." I found a good, used 2007 BMW X3 for the low, low price of $13K. Yeah, it had just over 100K miles on it, but I also happen to know how to work on cars and am comfortable troubleshooting any issues.

In nearly 10 years of marriage, this is the first time we've had a car payment (last car we bought was a 2006 Pontiac Vibe bought for $6K cash on a rebuilt title and still going strong, previous was an inherited Saturn that we really ran into the ground) and I've never taken a car to the shop for anything other than tires or front end alignments.

So with the BMW I have a very nice car with a touch of luxury that is also fun to drive, and I even sorted out a fork mount for inside the car so that I can carry the bike on the interior with the seatpost removed. I had a similar setup in the Vibe, which is a Toyota matrix clone. But on the plus side, it was cheap (for a BMW) and little things like dents or scratches don't make me faint and I can give it a good wash every couple of months to keep it looking good. And the funny thing is, people assume I spent at least 25-30K on it.

A shot of the Domane in the X3:

I was just considering an X3 to do exactly what you are doing. Im wondering if my bike will fit like yours. What size is your bike and what is the maximum height with the seatpost off? Id like to keepmy seat on if possible. Thanks.

Last edited by Peddler123; 09-10-16 at 06:40 PM.
Old 09-10-16, 06:29 PM
beechnutC23
U.I.O.G.D.

Bikes: Bombtrack Hook 2 gravel, Marinoni Genius/Campy Record, Marinoni Special EL-OS/Campy Record (retired to permanent indoor trainer), Rocky Mountain hybrid (not in use), Rocky Mountain mtb Cervelo R3 Team/Campy Chorus FOR SALE

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
I hate SUVs. I have a Volkswagen Golf hatchback, and my wife has a VW Golf wagon (Jetta Sportwagen in the US) that is also a diesel. Both our cars have manual transmissions.

In my own car, I can fit my road bike in the back without taking any wheels off. My wife's wagon can swallow both of them, with an old blanket between them to protect them. When we do need to travel farther and need the cargo space for luggage, we have a Thule for the wagon.

My current Golf is a '16 (TSI gas engine) that makes 170 hp and gets 42 mpg on the highway. My previous one was an '11 TDI diesel. This is a pic of my steel Marinoni in the back of the old one. The new one has the same capacity.

This is my wife's wagon with three bikes on top (and the spare tire on; discovered a flat just before loading the car for a trip to Maine; fortunately VW included a full-size spare, so that went on the car and one of our snow tires went into the spare tire well).

My current Golf:

Base model, but very well equipped, A/C, electric everything, cruise, heated seats and mirrors, Apple CarPlay, etc., $20.5k CDN plus freight and tax, 5-speed manual.

Caveat: my wife and I are empty nesters.
Old 09-12-16, 06:40 AM
T Stew

Bikes: All 80s Schwinns: 88Prologue, 88Circuit, 88Ontare, 88KOM, 86SS, 88Tempo, 88V'ger, 80V'ger, 88LeTour, 82LTLuxeMixte, 87 Cimarron, 86H.Sierra, 92Paramount9c

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by beechnutC23 View Post
Base model, but very well equipped, A/C, electric everything, cruise, heated seats and mirrors, Apple CarPlay, etc., $20.5k CDN plus freight and tax, 5-speed manual.

Caveat: my wife and I are empty nesters.
Not bad at all, I haven't looked at the newer VWs. Though what I am seeing here is about what you wrote but in US Dollars ($20,175 US msrp according to my closest dealer for base model 4 door). Maybe if they threw in some other incentives I may even consider (I may even further save by getting the 2-door), been debating for a while now getting a car and saving some gas money compared to my trucks. Though the math on getting a new or newer vehicle to save money usually doesn't add up.
Old 09-12-16, 07:11 AM
WalksOn2Wheels
Vain, But Lacking Talent

Bikes: Trek Domane 5.9 DA 9000, Trek Crockett Pink Frosting w/105 5700

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1524 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 42 Posts
Originally Posted by Peddler123 View Post
I was just considering an X3 to do exactly what you are doing. Im wondering if my bike will fit like yours. What size is your bike and what is the maximum height with the seatpost off? Id like to keepmy seat on if possible. Thanks.
Hey, that's a size 56 Domane. I'm not sure what the height would be, but it's kind of tricky as it is because as you are aware, the seats only fold down so far if you don't remove the bench seat. The bench seat pops up easily enough (I had to do it over the weekend, actually) but it's fiddly enough putting it back in that it's not worth taking it in an out for the bike.

Of note: The bike does have an integrated seatmast, so it's a little taller than most bikes would be with the seatpost removed. I had a similar setup on a Pontiac Vibe (Toyota Matrix clone) where I always took the seatpost out.
Old 09-12-16, 07:37 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Originally Posted by beechnutC23 View Post
Side loads on the wheel - resting it on its side with the weight of the bike on it - is not good. Broken spokes can result, often mysteriously and repeatedly.

You would do well mon frere, to place a folded towel or some kind of pad under the axle/quick release to support the bike so that the weight is not resting on the side of the wheel.

PAX

-Tim-
Old 09-12-16, 07:57 AM
jordanair45
Banned.

Bikes: 16' SS Hi-Mod, 15' CAAD12

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Welp, I have a Ford Mustang and I hate it because I don't want to put a hitch on it (makes the car look ugly). But, it's a convertible, so I can throw the bike easily in and out of the back seats with the top down.

Best car, imo, is any car you can put a hitch on. I've never had to put my bike inside a car?

Would probably go hatchback or SUV next time myself. Subaru Crosstrek or Outback.
Old 09-12-16, 08:58 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1840 Post(s)
Liked 550 Times in 363 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH View Post
Side loads on the wheel - resting it on its side with the weight of the bike on it - is not good. Broken spokes can result, often mysteriously and repeatedly.

You would do well mon frere, to place a folded towel or some kind of pad under the axle/quick release to support the bike so that the weight is not resting on the side of the wheel.

PAX

-Tim-
Really ?.

Maybe in theory. I've been placing bikes in my assorted Subaru's for 15 years or so, as seen in that photo, assorted road and mt. bikes.

Haven't had a spoke break in probably 20 years.
Old 09-12-16, 08:59 AM
redfooj
pluralis majestatis

Bikes: a DuhRosa

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 537 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

PAX

-Tim-
methinks you exaggerate the fragility of bicycle wheels. 20 pounds of bike. load also shared with pedal/crank, saddle, etc

if your spokes break from that kind of action, yer riding the wrong wheels mon frere
Old 09-12-16, 09:00 AM
black_box 
Fax Transport Specialist

Bikes: '17 giant propel, '07 fuji cross pro, '10 gary fisher x-caliber

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 53 Posts

On a related topic... does anyone have a solution for getting two bikes into the back of the car, on their sides? Aside from using lots of blankets, I thought about building some sort of frame to keep them separated.
Old 09-12-16, 09:29 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Originally Posted by Steve B. View Post
Really ?.

Maybe in theory. I've been placing bikes in my assorted Subaru's for 15 years or so, as seen in that photo, assorted road and mt. bikes.

Haven't had a spoke break in probably 20 years.

Originally Posted by redfooj View Post
methinks you exaggerate the fragility of bicycle wheels. 20 pounds of bike. load also shared with pedal/crank, saddle, etc

if your spokes break from that kind of action, yer riding the wrong wheels mon frere

I'm talking about low spoke count wheels, not MTB wheels. More delicate road bike wheels are very strong vertically but much weaker laterally. The taco'd rear wheel is my witness.

Look closely at the picture. It is difficult to tell but the bike is likely not supported by the cranks. The seatback pitches up and the entire weight is on the rear wheel laterally and the front wheel. I had a short wheelbase car like that and kept popping spokes until I learned to support the frame at the axle so the weight wasn't on the side of the wheel.

I happen to be personal friends with beechnutc23 and he has broken some spokes on the very bike pictured and shortly after purchasing that car. His more recent bike has low spoke count wheels and my post was a warning to a friend, nothing more.

At the end of the day it doesn't take too much effort to put an old foam cushion or folded towel under the axle, does it?

-Tim-

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.