Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Carrying two bikes on a Mini Cooper S

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-16, 09:46 PM
cyclist2000

Bikes: Masi, Giant TCR, Eisentraut (retired), Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo, Cannondale, 84 & 93 Stumpjumpers, Waterford, Tern D8, Bianchi, Gunner Roadie, Serotta, Serotta Duette, was gifted a Diamond Back

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 2,038 Times in 604 Posts

I have a 2011 Mini Cooper S and wanted to carry a couple bikes on it. I have tried a Thule roof rack and the bars are too low and the sun roof hits the cross bar and won't open. I have looked for hitches for this car and haven't found any that work on the "S" model. I have tried a Yakima King Joe on the trunk and this works but I can't access the rear of the vehicle without removing the rack.

Do you have a mini that you are carrying bikes on it?

I plan on carrying a couple of road bikes on it.
Old 09-06-16, 04:32 AM
02Giant 

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1638 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 495 Posts
Don't open the sun roof when the bikes are loaded.
Old 09-06-16, 07:13 AM
Zukoda

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use the Yakima King Joe on my 2013 Mini Cooper S and it seems to work fine. With everything tightened down, I can open the hatch enough to access it - I don't open it all the way, but plenty far
enough to reach inside and grab something. This is without bikes on the rack - not sure how well it would work with bikes on it - haven't tried that yet...
Edit to add - Do you have the factory bars or just the Thule Bars? I have the Mini factory bars and use a Yakima Basket and can open the sunroof with no problems. You may look into installing the factory bars and then a bike carrier on top of them.
Old 09-06-16, 07:15 AM
Zukoda

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Duplicate - sorry...
Old 09-06-16, 08:09 AM
cyclist2000

Bikes: Masi, Giant TCR, Eisentraut (retired), Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo, Cannondale, 84 & 93 Stumpjumpers, Waterford, Tern D8, Bianchi, Gunner Roadie, Serotta, Serotta Duette, was gifted a Diamond Back

Originally Posted by Zukoda
I use the Yakima King Joe on my 2013 Mini Cooper S and it seems to work fine. With everything tightened down, I can open the hatch enough to access it - I don't open it all the way, but plenty far
enough to reach inside and grab something. This is without bikes on the rack - not sure how well it would work with bikes on it - haven't tried that yet...
Edit to add - Do you have the factory bars or just the Thule Bars? I have the Mini factory bars and use a Yakima Basket and can open the sunroof with no problems. You may look into installing the factory bars and then a bike carrier on top of them.

On using the King Joe, I was worried about when opening the hatch that the special straps on the top would move and I would need to take off the rack to get them in the proper position.

I will look into the factory bars today.
Old 09-06-16, 08:20 AM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked 847 Times in 410 Posts
I drive a 2006 S. I drop the back seats and can load two bikes - PROVIDED: wheels off, seats off, release tension on stem bolts so handlebars turn independent of fork. Strongly recommend a chain keeper like THIS and I bag the chain rings and the rear derailleur to keep car clean. Couple old blankets between layers for protection. On the road, see ya later. If more than one passenger, SOL.

Alternate I was very close on, but decided to save the money (no regrets over 8 years), was the SeaSucker solution, which seems to lend itself well to MINI's. Here but I wonder if there's a bad fit between the bike chainring and the back hatch spoiler. dunno, google search for images probably answers that.
Old 09-06-16, 08:22 AM
cyclist2000

Originally Posted by 02Giant
Don't open the sun roof when the bikes are loaded.

Yes, that is an option, but I am the type of person that would like to have everything functional.

I just might do this for this tour, then take the whole thing off.

Last edited by cyclist2000; 09-06-16 at 08:26 AM.
Old 09-06-16, 08:29 AM
cyclist2000

Originally Posted by blacknbluebikes
I drive a 2006 S. I drop the back seats and can load two bikes - PROVIDED: wheels off, seats off, release tension on stem bolts so handlebars turn independent of fork. Strongly recommend a chain keeper like THIS and I bag the chain rings and the rear derailleur to keep car clean. Couple old blankets between layers for protection. On the road, see ya later. If more than one passenger, SOL.

Alternate I was very close on, but decided to save the money (no regrets over 8 years), was the SeaSucker solution, which seems to lend itself well to MINI's. Here but I wonder if there's a bad fit between the bike chainring and the back hatch spoiler. dunno, google search for images probably answers that.

Thanks for the reply, that seems like a lot of work to do on a daily basis to go riding, was looking for something a bit more convenient.

Last edited by cyclist2000; 09-06-16 at 08:30 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-06-16, 08:35 AM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked 847 Times in 410 Posts
Agreed. I ride from home, not generally from a remote location. This is when I'm going away for the weekend or an occasional meetup. Any bigger trips than that are taken in a bigger car. MINI's been great for 10yrs, but not for moving a crew or significant cargo.

I would definitely look at the SeaSucker. My MINI has centered exhaust pipes, so I'd never consider a hitch if even possible. If others like the Yakima solution, that might be best. Also, keep in mind if you're doing any distance travel with any expensive bikes, there may be a "lock them up" factor to consider in your needs list.