Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

A questionnaire about the storage of your Bikes

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

A questionnaire about the storage of your Bikes

Old 09-07-16, 12:50 PM
ArmChairRider

Bikes: 630 Beach Bike Schwinn Hurricane ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For me it is getting the wheels off the ground, so Buzz won't come along and high four the tires.
Old 09-07-16, 01:04 PM
kevindsingleton 
Don't make me sing!

Bikes: 2013 Specialized Crosstrail Elite, 1986 Centurion Elite RS, Diamondback hardtail MTB, '70s Fuji Special Road Racer, 2012 Raleigh Revenio 2.0, 1992 Trek 1000

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KenshiBiker
The rope hoist can have one significant mechanical advantage vs simple hooks - assuming you set it up as a block-and-tackle arrangement. I built my own to store our tandem at the last house. At about 45 pounds (probably more if you include the rear rack and trunk, etc., I couldn't easily lift the tandem onto hooks in the ceiling (and no way my wife could), at least partly due to the awkwardness (probably also partly due to being somewhat vertically-challenged). However, once I installed the block-and-tackle system, it was just a matter of hoisting it up, then fastening the rope to a cleat screwed into a wall stud. For single bikes, you're right, pulleys are too much hassle - I just use hooks, but they're attached to a modular rack that fastens to the wall rather than fastened to the ceiling.
Good point. These are 1:1, so no advantage. I don't think I'd want a tandem hanging over my head, anyway!
Old 09-07-16, 01:45 PM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by benaroundawhile
My answer:

There is no problem with bike storage.

There are many excellent methods to store bicycles from simple wall hooks to more elegant solutions that do the same thing.
As one who graduated from an engineering school, the point of the exercise is not to actually to debate whether existing solutions work well or not, it is to get the students thinking and going through the stages of product development.

As to the OP, some of my bikes are stored in a back room that will eventually become a workshop, some are in the garage, and the one that is most commonly (or last) used is in my car.
Old 09-07-16, 02:00 PM
SkunkWerX

Bikes: Trek DS 8.5 Scott Hybrid Thunderbolt folder '75 Schwinn Varsity '95 Schwinn cruiser '58 Wstrn Flyr...

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
An aluminum bike would need a corresponding affixed ferrous piece to attract the magnet, or vise versa. Just commenting.
A powerful electro-magnet would rock! Hit the switch bike gets sucked up into the rafters....turn switch to Off and bike falls into your awaiting hands or on your head.

My bikes take up space in my garage. When I am organized, they are in a neat compact row. But I'm not very organized. They do get in my way, or one of them gets in the way of another for things like maintenance. My problem is no wall space. I have garage doors in front, windows on each side, and cabinets lining the back wall. In between the windows are wire shelves holding seasonal household items. I hang two kayaks using the rope/pulley/cam locking system intended for bikes.
This system works, gets the kayaks up, out of the way, almost too well....too much of an ordeal if you wanted to take a quick bike ride.

I had thought about a ferris wheel, like they use at Home Depot or Lowes for rolls of carpet.
Your bikes would revolve up, around, and down. at the bottom most position a bike could be held for maintenance, or placed/removed when riding. Want a different bike? Hit the button and it revolves around until the bike you want to select is in the "deployment" position. You let up on the Momentary Switch, and grab that bike.
Old 09-07-16, 02:39 PM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by SkunkWerX
A powerful electro-magnet would rock! Hit the switch bike gets sucked up into the rafters....turn switch to Off and bike falls into your awaiting hands or on your head.
That'd suck for my car everytime the power went out
Old 09-07-16, 02:45 PM
SkunkWerX

Bikes: Trek DS 8.5 Scott Hybrid Thunderbolt folder '75 Schwinn Varsity '95 Schwinn cruiser '58 Wstrn Flyr...

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jefnvk
That'd suck for my car everytime the power went out
HA!
Old 09-07-16, 02:52 PM
benaroundawhile
Banned.

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
As i recall the poster mentioned hydraulic brakes and oil shocks. I didn't pay attention to the latter because i have air shocks, but I guess the idea was that the oil would be pulled by gravity out of the top of the fork if it was stored inverted.

I have no clue, because I am sure when they ship the shocks they cannot prevent every one from turning up[side down ... or maybe they actually take that much care in packaging---I hope so.

But, yes, it was that the brakes would need to be bled if the bike was hung up inverted ... and I do not need soft brakes on my MTB ... enough "Oh, No!" moments as it is.

Thanks very much for the confirmation.

On the other hand, you might just have prevented the shooting of some very entertaining GoPro YouTube footage of me eating it.
1. Air shocks use oil.
2. If you have air in the brake system, the bubble needs to only move out of the caliper. Regardless, you'll still have adequate braking.

This has held true for my past 20+ years of use of hydraulic brakes from a variety of companies.
Old 09-07-16, 02:57 PM
kevindsingleton 
Don't make me sing!

Bikes: 2013 Specialized Crosstrail Elite, 1986 Centurion Elite RS, Diamondback hardtail MTB, '70s Fuji Special Road Racer, 2012 Raleigh Revenio 2.0, 1992 Trek 1000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by benaroundawhile
1. Air shocks use oil.
2. If you have air in the brake system, the bubble needs to only move out of the caliper. Regardless, you'll still have adequate braking.

This has held true for my past 20+ years of use of hydraulic brakes from a variety of companies.
The first time I hung my Crosstrail from the ceiling, the rear brake lever was totally mush for the first couple of miles after I pulled it down for a ride. No issues with the front, but that's a much shorter circuit. The rear brake returned to normal, after a few minutes, and I don't hang it upside down, any more.
Old 09-07-16, 03:15 PM
Garfield Cat

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
For those who have a home with a garage, the space that seems to be under utilized is directly above the car's roof.
Old 09-07-16, 03:33 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7628 Post(s)
Liked 3,452 Times in 1,823 Posts
Originally Posted by Garfield Cat
For those who have a home with a garage, the space that seems to be under utilized is directly above the car's roof.
It is also the least accessible. You'd have to move the cars to get the bikes up and down.
Old 09-07-16, 06:32 PM
Garfield Cat

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
It is also the least accessible. You'd have to move the cars to get the bikes up and down.
Well, that space can be used for something else other than the bike. That would free up space somewhere else for the bikes.

Another thing would be to utilize it for the bike but that would be an access problem like you said. Unless the access problem can be solved.
Old 09-07-16, 09:46 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

I just bought a redi-rack or a handi-rack or something ... I bet you could find it googling "garage ceiling rack" it holds 600 lbs and is 4x8 feet and adjustable from 12- (i think) 27 inches tall. Perfect to put over a car and free up space elsewhere.

I think this is what we got-- https://www.saferacks.com/ whatever, it is really handy as it utilizes space otherwise completely wasted

Last edited by Maelochs; 09-07-16 at 10:02 PM.
Old 09-07-16, 10:28 PM
Canker

Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 133 Posts
Use something to squeeze the brake lever like a velcro strap and you won't have any problem with air bubbles getting into the lines.
Old 09-08-16, 05:57 AM
Maelochs

Originally Posted by Canker
Use something to squeeze the brake lever like a velcro strap and you won't have any problem with air bubbles getting into the lines.
Awesome ... I have learned two useful ideas from this thread .... not that that makes up for all the other threads .....
Old 09-08-16, 08:15 AM
kevindsingleton 
Don't make me sing!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Garfield Cat
Five bikes hanging, there. It's always ...interesting, getting one down while the wife's car is parked in that space. Reminds me to get back to the gym for some upper body work!
Old 09-08-16, 08:17 AM
kevindsingleton 
Don't make me sing!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Canker
I'll try that. If it doesn't work, well, I need to bleed the brakes, anyway.

Thanks for the idea!
Old 09-08-16, 12:30 PM
jhazel

Bikes: Trek Madone4.5, Fuji Newest, DaVinci Joint Venture, Pacific Dually, Kuota K Factor Thruster

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've got bikes in two locations. at each one the bikes are stored in a 2 car garage. First: 1 Single with the top tube resting on a pair of straight brackets mounted on the wall. Bike is carbon so lifting it is not a problem. Also 1 aluminum bike on the ground set in a commercial stand that holds the chain and seat stays on one side. This bike has a couple of wall brackets but they are inconvenient when the car is in the garage, which is most of the time.
Second Location: 4 bikes, 1 tandem on a pulley system, 1 tandem on the floor under the other tandem. 1 single with the top tube resting on straight brackets and one single on the floor under the other single. All bikes are against a wall to avoid hitting my head on the hanging bikes. they don't seem to take up excessive space. The reason the second tandem is not on pulleys at the ceiling is because of the garage door covering up the place where I would install it.
Old 09-09-16, 05:13 AM
Scummer
Genetics have failed me

Bikes: Norwid Aaland, Radon Slide 140, Elom 505 Titan, Dahon mju, Pedalforce CX1, Battaglin Power+, Old MTB and lots of spare parts

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 6 Posts
I have a garage, where I store my dozen bikes, partially hanging on the wall, partially leaning against the wall. Some have kickstands, so I can just park them somewhere on the garage floor.
I also have a car, but since there is no room, it has to stay outside under the carport. My bikes are more worth than my car anyway, so it's all good.

Sometimes when my kids park their bikes carelessly in the garage it can be a bit challenging on getting through, but I'll just let the air out of their tires, so they know next time not to mess with daddy.
Old 09-09-16, 09:45 AM
Zukoda

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I only have 2 bikes - one road and one mountain - but am looking to add another one soon. I have been contemplating building a bike "tree" to hold up to 4 bikes. That is about as far as I got so far. I did see one online that was made from an old railroad tie and used pieces of rail as hooks. Beautiful piece but way, way too expensive...
Old 09-09-16, 10:36 AM
Stadjer

Bikes: Gazelle rod brakes, Batavus compact, Peugeot hybrid

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 5893 Post(s)
Liked 949 Times in 723 Posts
I guess the existing hoist systems could be improved by counterbalancing it. Even a bit more than the exact counterbalance because pulling something down is easier than lifting the same weight. If it's really light work it makes it easier to keep the bike from swinging against other hanging bikes. Counterbalancing also allows for using some kind of rack you can put the bike in, then the only limiting factor becomes the strength of the ceiling.