Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Hot r Not

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Hot r Not

Old 02-15-17, 09:46 AM
  #23951  
Succhia Ruota
in bagnomaria
 
Succhia Ruota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Dunwoody, GA
Posts: 257

Bikes: N+3 dependents

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by SpeshulEd View Post
When I still used the magnet, I'd put it on the spoke that was hidden behind the chainstay when the valve was at 6 o'clock, that way it was never in the photo.
And here I thought I was being clever by putting it opposite the valve stem in order to "balance" out the weight, lol.

But seriously, you haven't noticed any sudden spikes or drop-offs in speed in your recorded files since ditching the magnet?
Succhia Ruota is offline  
Old 02-15-17, 09:54 AM
  #23952  
noodle soup
Senior Member
 
noodle soup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 8,857
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4653 Post(s)
Liked 1,771 Times in 958 Posts
Originally Posted by SpeshulEd View Post
What are 32 deep wheels? It appears the rims are already 30-40mm deep...
originally he posted, 32" deep wheels, but edited the post.
noodle soup is online now  
Old 02-15-17, 10:06 AM
  #23953  
noodle soup
Senior Member
 
noodle soup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 8,857
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4653 Post(s)
Liked 1,771 Times in 958 Posts
Originally Posted by Succhia Ruota View Post
But seriously, you haven't noticed any sudden spikes or drop-offs in speed in your recorded files since ditching the magnet?
The only time I notice any spike/drop-off is when starting and stopping, but never when JRA at a sustained pace.
noodle soup is online now  
Old 02-15-17, 10:06 AM
  #23954  
SpeshulEd 
Senior Member
 
SpeshulEd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 8,089
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Succhia Ruota View Post
And here I thought I was being clever by putting it opposite the valve stem in order to "balance" out the weight, lol.

But seriously, you haven't noticed any sudden spikes or drop-offs in speed in your recorded files since ditching the magnet?
I had actually purchased the hub mounted speed sensor shortly after they came out. The battery had died in it and I didn't even notice until I tried to sync it with my new 820. After that I just left it off and haven't really noticed much of a difference. Since going to a power meter, I hardly even look at speed anymore.

Of course, keep in mind that I'm in the desert. There's not a lot of trees or anything blocking the gps.
__________________
Hey guys, lets go play bikes! Strava

SpeshulEd is offline  
Old 02-15-17, 10:08 AM
  #23955  
rigidan
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[IMG][/IMG]

Remove the green? Just about to sling on some black tape as I can't stand the white stuff.

Currently running a shorter stem due to back issues.

Hawt or Nawt??

Last edited by rigidan; 02-15-17 at 10:11 AM.
rigidan is offline  
Old 02-15-17, 10:19 AM
  #23956  
Succhia Ruota
in bagnomaria
 
Succhia Ruota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Dunwoody, GA
Posts: 257

Bikes: N+3 dependents

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup View Post
The only time I notice any spike/drop-off is when starting and stopping, but never when JRA at a sustained pace.
Originally Posted by SpeshulEd View Post
I had actually purchased the hub mounted speed sensor shortly after they came out. The battery had died in it and I didn't even notice until I tried to sync it with my new 820. After that I just left it off and haven't really noticed much of a difference. Since going to a power meter, I hardly even look at speed anymore.

Of course, keep in mind that I'm in the desert. There's not a lot of trees or anything blocking the gps.
Yeah, I never look at the speed unless I'm pulling (so I don't inadvertently surge or slow - don't have a PM).

I think the problem I have is that I live in the veritable jungle known as N GA, so the GPS isn't as reliable over the entirety of a given route.

When I'm on my "B" bike, which doesn't have a magnet, my recorded files look like a richter scale readout after a mag 6.5 quake.

(Yes, I'm being hyperbolic, but not by much!)
Succhia Ruota is offline  
Old 02-15-17, 10:22 AM
  #23957  
rigidan
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What bars are those?
rigidan is offline  
Old 02-15-17, 10:22 AM
  #23958  
anon`
Member
 
anon`'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Riverside, CA
Posts: 43

Bikes: 2011 Cannondale CAAD10-4

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by the sci guy View Post
steerer needs cutting
I don't care for the crank either - the matte looking color, and too much solid and not enough see-through.
frame is very nice though. normal wheels are awesome too, thank you for not having ugly ass deep aero wheels.
Yeah, I just dropped the stem 2cm when I installed it. Once I'm convinced that my back won't go into full revolt over the new stance, I'll cut the steerer down, and then look to lowering that 2.5cm headset cap, thereby starting the exercise all over.


Cheers!
anon` is offline  
Old 02-15-17, 10:27 AM
  #23959  
vinuneuro
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: NW Chicagoland
Posts: 783

Bikes: 2016 Diverge Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Just got it: Hot or Not?
Frame is ugly, ugliest aero frame.
Originally Posted by vinuneuro View Post
Yikes! Beyond me why anyone would post their own bike in this thread and ask others to tell them whether it looks good or not. Do YOU like it?
Originally Posted by raisinberry777 View Post
Because that's the point of the thread?
Consider this poor guy above. What are you going to do if someone tells you your bike is ugly? Sell it and buy another? Start changing stuff? Change your beliefs about what looks good and doesn't?


Originally Posted by SpeshulEd View Post
What are 32 deep wheels? It appears the rims are already 30-40mm deep...
Those are Roval CLX 40 wheels. Never been a huge fan of the way aero wheels look. 32mm might look better, but now that I've seen a pic of the CLX 32's it's only a marginal difference.. who'da thought.

vinuneuro is offline  
Old 02-15-17, 10:30 AM
  #23960  
noodle soup
Senior Member
 
noodle soup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 8,857
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4653 Post(s)
Liked 1,771 Times in 958 Posts
Originally Posted by vinuneuro View Post
Is this your's?
noodle soup is online now  
Old 02-15-17, 10:31 AM
  #23961  
Succhia Ruota
in bagnomaria
 
Succhia Ruota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Dunwoody, GA
Posts: 257

Bikes: N+3 dependents

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by vinuneuro View Post
Does the owner of this bike ^^ know his seat post is on backwards?
Succhia Ruota is offline  
Old 02-15-17, 10:33 AM
  #23962  
vinuneuro
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: NW Chicagoland
Posts: 783

Bikes: 2016 Diverge Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup View Post
Is this your's?
It's a bike on the internet with CLX 32's.

No sense in posting my own bike here, I already know it looks good.
vinuneuro is offline  
Old 02-15-17, 10:37 AM
  #23963  
noodle soup
Senior Member
 
noodle soup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 8,857
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4653 Post(s)
Liked 1,771 Times in 958 Posts
Originally Posted by vinuneuro View Post
It's a bike on the internet with CLX 32's.

No sense in posting my own bike here, I already know it looks good.
That guy could benefit from a custom frame.
noodle soup is online now  
Old 02-15-17, 10:40 AM
  #23964  
vinuneuro
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: NW Chicagoland
Posts: 783

Bikes: 2016 Diverge Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Succhia Ruota View Post
Does the owner of this bike ^^ know his seat post is on backwards?
Good catch. Found that pic on a blog, will send him a message.

Originally Posted by noodle soup View Post
That guy could benefit from a custom frame.
Why do you say that?
vinuneuro is offline  
Old 02-15-17, 10:42 AM
  #23965  
WhyFi
Senior Member
 
WhyFi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: TC, MN
Posts: 33,779

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 343 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16060 Post(s)
Liked 4,805 Times in 2,535 Posts
Originally Posted by vinuneuro View Post
Why do you say that?
Other than the backwards seatpost, stack of spacers and upturned 140mm stem?
WhyFi is offline  
Old 02-15-17, 10:49 AM
  #23966  
noodle soup
Senior Member
 
noodle soup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 8,857
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4653 Post(s)
Liked 1,771 Times in 958 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup View Post
That guy could benefit from a custom frame.
Originally Posted by vinuneuro View Post
Why do you say that?
backward seatpost, huge stack of spacers + flipped up stem, saddle set very high on an already tall bike.

It's pretty obvious that the owner is quite tall, but likely has a short torso. This is a common issue for tall cyclists.
noodle soup is online now  
Old 02-15-17, 10:52 AM
  #23967  
vinuneuro
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: NW Chicagoland
Posts: 783

Bikes: 2016 Diverge Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi View Post
Other than the backwards seatpost, stack of spacers and upturned 140mm stem?
Originally Posted by noodle soup View Post
backward seatpost, huge stack of spacers + flipped up stem, saddle set very high on an already tall bike.

It's pretty obvious that the owner is quite tall, but likely has a short torso. This is a common issue for tall cyclists.
Didn't realize the backward seatpost was a sign of a fit issue, figured it was just brain freeze moment for the guy.

Custom carbon fast cx bike would be tough.
vinuneuro is offline  
Old 02-15-17, 10:55 AM
  #23968  
noodle soup
Senior Member
 
noodle soup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 8,857
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4653 Post(s)
Liked 1,771 Times in 958 Posts
Originally Posted by vinuneuro View Post
Custom carbon fast cx bike would be tough.
Incorrect.

it's no more difficult than any other custom CF frame, but it would likely cost $3500+.
noodle soup is online now  
Old 02-15-17, 11:02 AM
  #23969  
vinuneuro
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: NW Chicagoland
Posts: 783

Bikes: 2016 Diverge Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup View Post
Incorrect.

it's no more difficult than any other custom CF frame, but it would likely cost $3500+.
I'm sure many will disagree but composites engineering is highly complex and still rapidly evolving. It's the large companies with big R&D resources that make the best carbon bikes imo, and today aero is engineered into road race and endurance frames too.
vinuneuro is offline  
Old 02-15-17, 11:08 AM
  #23970  
noodle soup
Senior Member
 
noodle soup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 8,857
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4653 Post(s)
Liked 1,771 Times in 958 Posts
Originally Posted by vinuneuro View Post
I'm sure many will disagree but composites engineering is highly complex and still rapidly evolving. It's the large companies with big R&D resources that make the best carbon bikes imo, and today aero is engineered into road race and endurance frames too.
Aero isn't a huge bonus for a CX bike.
noodle soup is online now  
Old 02-15-17, 11:20 AM
  #23971  
vinuneuro
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: NW Chicagoland
Posts: 783

Bikes: 2016 Diverge Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup View Post
Aero isn't a huge bonus for a CX bike.
I know. Generally speaking about big brand vs. custom cf. Even for the other two, aero is more minor compared to the cf expertise.
vinuneuro is offline  
Old 02-15-17, 11:34 AM
  #23972  
noodle soup
Senior Member
 
noodle soup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 8,857
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4653 Post(s)
Liked 1,771 Times in 958 Posts
Originally Posted by vinuneuro View Post
I know. Generally speaking about big brand vs. custom cf. Even for the other two, aero is more minor compared to the cf expertise.

you would be surprised at how much R&D testing goes into building a custom frame. The biggest drawback to a custom CF frame is weight. Many builders won't build the lightest frame possible, simply because they don't want to see their frames ever needing repairs.
noodle soup is online now  
Old 02-15-17, 11:37 AM
  #23973  
nycphotography
NYC
 
nycphotography's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,697
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1145 Post(s)
Liked 61 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by vinuneuro View Post
Didn't realize the backward seatpost was a sign of a fit issue, figured it was just brain freeze moment for the guy.
It probably is. Flipping the seat post and takes 30mm out of the stem (though with a little more bar drop). He probably gets knee issues currently as his knee is likely way forward of where it should be. Unless his thighs are also short relative to shins, in which case this may just be a custom fit.

With just the bike, all anyone can really do is speculate.
nycphotography is offline  
Old 02-15-17, 11:50 AM
  #23974  
noodle soup
Senior Member
 
noodle soup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 8,857
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4653 Post(s)
Liked 1,771 Times in 958 Posts
Originally Posted by nycphotography View Post
He probably gets knee issues currently as his knee is likely way forward of where it should be. Unless his thighs are also short relative to shins, in which case this may just be a custom fit.
KOPS isn't as important as many used to believe, but more of a result of being centered over the bike. On most TT/Triathlon bikes, the knee is forward of the pedal spindle, but it doesn't cause a knee issue.
noodle soup is online now  
Old 02-15-17, 06:53 PM
  #23975  
esojsounds
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reminded to myself to make sure I take good pics to take for this thread later!
esojsounds is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.