Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Steamroller Sizing

Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Steamroller Sizing

Old 07-06-18, 11:18 AM
Incognito

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Steamroller Sizing

Very close to pulling the trigger on Surly Steamroller. LBS doesn't have any on the floor, so actually sitting on the bike is not an option. Salesman made me nervous when he said 54cm frame. 10 yrs ago my road bikes were 58 & 60 cm. Maybe Surly fit is different.

What size fframe do you believe Would work? I'm 6'1'', inseam 34" (pants) and 34/35" shirt sleeve.
Old 07-06-18, 12:30 PM
IAmSam

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 273 Times in 136 Posts
I don't think SRs come in 54cm. Without getting into an in-depth discussion of fit/geo - my son who is 5'10" has been happily & comfortably riding a 53 for years that was a bit too big for me @ 5'6". IIRC the next size up is 56cm.

For more info there is a geo chart on the Steamroller page on Surly's website...
Old 07-06-18, 12:36 PM
50voltphantom

Bikes: Handsome Fredward, Trek 1.1

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 481 Post(s)
Liked 131 Times in 47 Posts
Originally Posted by Incognito
Very close to pulling the trigger on Surly Steamroller. LBS doesn't have any on the floor, so actually sitting on the bike is not an option. Salesman made me nervous when he said 54cm frame. 10 yrs ago my road bikes were 58 & 60 cm. Maybe Surly fit is different.

What size fframe do you believe Would work? I'm 6'1'', inseam 34" (pants) and 34/35" shirt sleeve.
I'm 6' with a 30 pants inseam and I'd say my 56 is a tad undersized (I like it that way). My saddle is slammed backward and I run a 110 stem with drops. I could easily ride a 58.
Old 07-06-18, 12:41 PM
jack002

Bikes: (2) 1994 Cannondale R900, red, Silver Trek hybrid

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I am between 6'1" and 6'0", about a 34" inseam and have ridden a 60cm road bike for about 19 years. I think you're right. Too small.
Old 07-06-18, 12:42 PM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
Do you happen to know what the top tube measurement is on your old bikes? Go with that: https://surlybikes.com/bikes/steamroller/geometry

The geometry on some Surly models can be a little different than standard -- I normally ride a 56 but if I was to get a Cross Check I'd get a 54, because it has a 56 top tube.

The Steamroller geo isn't quite like that but a 56 = 56.8 top tube.

IAmSam is right, the Steamroller comes in a 53, not a 54, and I'd be surprised if it was big enough for you. Are there any other LBS near you that you can visit, maybe at the very least they'll work with you more on proper sizing?
Old 07-07-18, 09:30 PM
fixedweasel

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Yup, pull the exact same measurements* off of your bike now and just match them up. I can tell you right now, Steamrollers have crap geometry. The effective top tubes are long and the head tubes are short.** I once emailed the owner about the poor geometry and he said, "Yeah, I know, but we're not going to change it". Ok. Take a look at how many of the Steamrollers are set up. The bars are either terribly low with a huge saddle to bar drop or there's an abundance/tons/many/lots/a hugely amount of spacers under the stem throwing the bars sky high, making it look quite silly. They should really redesign the geometry with some thought for the customer/consumer. That bike needs a longer head tube or they should start sloping the top tube.

*top tube CTC
head tube
seat tube CTC
saddle to bar drop
standover is basically irrelevant
**unless they redesigned them with sloping top tubes since i last looked
Old 07-08-18, 09:42 AM
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

Bikes: 3 Chinese Gas Pipe Nerdcycles and 2 Chicago Electroforged Boat Anchors

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 2358 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by fixedweasel
Yup, pull the exact same measurements* off of your bike now and just match them up. I can tell you right now, Steamrollers have crap geometry. The effective top tubes are long and the head tubes are short.** I once emailed the owner about the poor geometry and he said, "Yeah, I know, but we're not going to change it". Ok. Take a look at how many of the Steamrollers are set up. The bars are either terribly low with a huge saddle to bar drop or there's an abundance/tons/many/lots/a hugely amount of spacers under the stem throwing the bars sky high, making it look quite silly. They should really redesign the geometry with some thought for the customer/consumer. That bike needs a longer head tube or they should start sloping the top tube.

*top tube CTC
head tube
seat tube CTC
saddle to bar drop
standover is basically irrelevant
**unless they redesigned them with sloping top tubes since i last looked
If they lengthened the head tube, wouldn't they have to lengthen the seat tube in order to maintain a horizontal top tube? Thereby changing the actual frame size?
Old 07-08-18, 07:30 PM
fixedweasel

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Not always. And you can see some folks doing this like the VO Campeur and Rivendell.* There are a few other folks doing it as well. Geometries as far as effective top tubes can also be manipulated with the head and seat tube angles as well as taller head tubes with sloping top tubes. As far as frame size, I know we've talked about this on here before, but a numbered "frame size" on a bike is totally irrelevant. I've had a Schwinn "labelled" as a 53cm with a 57.5cm effective top tube and a 90mm head tube and I've had a Motobecane "labeled" as a 53cm with a 53cm effective top tube and a 120mm head tube. I can tell you right now that both of those bikes would not fit the same person proper. That is what is so frustrating about sizing. I feel for the guys coming in and insisting they are a 53cm for example when I know that it will take all the measurements on a frameset to get him fit proper. How many times have you read that a guy bought a certain frame size on line or what not only to realize that it came nowhere near fitting him comfortably. BTW, I was incorrect on the particular Surly. It's the Cross Check that has a crap geometry. I cannot speak for the Steamroller. Sorry for the error.

*more so Rivendell
Old 07-10-18, 05:43 PM
Philasteve

Bikes: Surly CreamRoller. 98 Giant Rincon. SE UVT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
I ride a 53cm Surly Steamroller and I'm 5'9ish 30" inseam. I don't have a lot of seatpost showing a little more than a fist, but the top tube fits me good. There's no way in hell you should ride the same size bike as me, and it's funny he said that because they don't have even have a 54cm.