Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Beach Cruisers
Reload this Page >

Is there a beach cruiser that can support 380 pounds?

Notices
Beach Cruisers Do you love balloon tires and fenders? Do you love riding the simplicity of a single gear and coaster brakes or a single gear cluster? Do you love the classic curves in the tubing of a cruiser that takes you back to the 1950's and 1960's, stylistically? Here's your home! Welcome to the Beach Cruisers and Cruisers forum!

Old 05-06-18, 07:47 PM
Bookgirl

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i want to start biking again and would love to get a beach cruiser. Do any have a weight limit that can handle 380 pounds?
Old 05-07-18, 05:53 AM
Raiderbob

Bikes: 2018 Electra Cruiser 7d

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
A quick google search and I found this. www. worksmancycles. com /big-bikes.html (I am not allowed to post url's until I have 10 posts so obviously remove the spaces

maybe reach out to their customer support or a local bike shop that sells the brand near you and see what they recommend.
Old 05-07-18, 10:00 AM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1085 Post(s)
Liked 821 Times in 570 Posts
Originally Posted by Bookgirl
i want to start biking again and would love to get a beach cruiser. Do any have a weight limit that can handle 380 pounds?
Here ya go: https://www.worksmancycles.com/big-bikes.html
Old 05-07-18, 10:34 AM
Raiderbob

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by tds101
Here ya go:
show off!
Old 05-07-18, 11:02 AM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Originally Posted by Raiderbob
show off!
Hey,...it ain't my fault!
Old 05-07-18, 06:50 PM
bicyclridr4life
Bicyclerider4life

Bikes: Huffy Beach Cruisers, Miami Sun Trike, Vertical PK7, KHS Montana Summit, Giant Cypress DX, Schwinn OCC Stingray

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Would you consider a Trike?
The Miami Sun "Traditional" trike has a load capacity of at least 500 pounds.
They also have a 7 speed option (includes a rear disk brake) and are a blast to ride.

Just remember to change out the standard "tractor seat" they come with for a regular "beach cruiser" seat before you leave the LBS you buy the trike from.

That "tractor seat" has to be the least comfortable, and painful thing I have ever tried to use. On my first trike I managed the mile from the pawnshop to a Walmart, where I bought a new seat, a 6 inch crescent wrench, and changed the seat in their parking lot.
I never would have made the remaining 20 miles home with the tractor seat.
Amazing how much pain the nose of the seat rubbing your inner thighs causes after just 1 /4 mile.
Old 05-08-18, 04:04 PM
Bookgirl

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks so much everyone! Do you think it’d be possible to just buy a sixthreezero and put better tires and rims with more spokes on it? I’d really love a more traditional looking 3 or 7 speed cruiser in a cute color sixthreezero has a 300 lb weight limit. But wouldn’t better tires and spokes bump that up to at least 380?
Old 05-08-18, 04:31 PM
Raiderbob

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I would think it would be more about the frame than the wheels and tires but I could be wrong.
Old 05-08-18, 05:43 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

I agree with @Raiderbob,... A Worksman bicycle has a strong steel frame, and the welds will be very strong. Heavy duty tires, inner tubes, and high spoke count rims will be a plus, but an aluminum frame designed for a lighter weight rider isn't something I'd recommend.

Maybe someone else can assist, or you could always ask in the Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) section of the forums. I'm a member of that section as well!
Old 05-08-18, 07:05 PM
jimmie65
Proud hobo biker

Bikes: 2019 Surly Ogre, 2016 Giant Anyroad 2, Lightspeed Roadrunner trike, SE Tripel (in process)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Another vote for Worksman. Stepthrough frame, 10 color choices, upgrade the handlebar to something you like better, etc.
Old 05-14-18, 02:48 PM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 801 Post(s)
Liked 1,000 Times in 654 Posts
Worksman are good and strong. Another option might be a Schwinn Heavy Duti. They came with steel rims, but I think these were stronger than their standard wheel. The only ones you can get now are used. Well, with the elecro forged, made in Chicago frame. I remember seeing a picture somewhere of a Heavy Duti with a welded frame. This could be a made in China copy of the original. Not sure.

The Heavy Duti will take 26" x 2.125" tires as opposed to the middleweight Schwinn's 26" x 1.75" tires. One other note with Schwinn is to watch the tire size. Schwinn had some Schwinn only tires sizes.

If you going new, I would agree on the Worksman. It could take too long to find the right vintage bike.
Old 05-16-18, 09:14 AM
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

Bikes: 3 Chinese Gas Pipe Nerdcycles and 2 Chicago Electroforged Boat Anchors

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 2358 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Mule
Worksman are good and strong. Another option might be a Schwinn Heavy Duti. They came with steel rims, but I think these were stronger than their standard wheel. The only ones you can get now are used. Well, with the elecro forged, made in Chicago frame. I remember seeing a picture somewhere of a Heavy Duti with a welded frame. This could be a made in China copy of the original. Not sure.

The Heavy Duti will take 26" x 2.125" tires as opposed to the middleweight Schwinn's 26" x 1.75" tires. One other note with Schwinn is to watch the tire size. Schwinn had some Schwinn only tires sizes.

If you going new, I would agree on the Worksman. It could take too long to find the right vintage bike.
The Heavy Duti is still available. It comes with aluminum rims and 14g spokes, so it isn't any stronger than the regular modern cruisers. The Heavy Duti is just a name now. The only real difference is the camel back frame instead of the cantilever frame. I have a Chinese made one form 2000 and I can say that it is very straight and well built. I think the inside of the frame was also coated with a rust inhibitor because I opened up the bottom bracket a few weeks ago for service and all the steel in the shell and tubes looks like it was brand new. I don't know about the weight limit though.

Here is what the current model looks like... $449.00

Old 05-16-18, 01:31 PM
Oneder
Banned.

Bikes: Wahoo of Theseus, others

Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 46 Posts
If you are over 300 lbs I would get an old fixed fork mountain bike with cromoly frame (in fact I am and I did). They are cheaper and better quality than any vintage road bikes, which are all either garbage or super expensive for their age. Should be able to get something under 100 bucks with 26 inch wheels that doesn't need much/any work.

Likewise new bikes are all pretty garbage unless you get into the 1000 dollar range. That workman will have to have most its components replaced with something better and the frame itself will be rusty in a year from every review I see. If you really want a cruiser get an 80 or 90s schwinn steel cruiser. They are quite nice bikes and very sturdy, sometimes people want 500 bucks or more for them but I see them for 100-200 sometimes. Just don't get a 2000s era walmart schwinn they are terrible now.

You might be OK on wheels but if you start losing spokes then go to this upgraded wheel. It is the upgraded version of the crappy alloy rim that all the low end bikes come with these days.

https://www.amazon.com/Wheel-Master-26-MTB-Rear/dp/B00AUHTIK6/ref=sr_1_39?ie=UTF8&qid=1526070458&sr=8-39&keywords=26+inch+wheels

Last edited by Oneder; 05-16-18 at 01:40 PM.
Old 05-19-18, 03:14 PM
bicyclridr4life
Bicyclerider4life

Bikes: Huffy Beach Cruisers, Miami Sun Trike, Vertical PK7, KHS Montana Summit, Giant Cypress DX, Schwinn OCC Stingray

@SquidPuppet
(Quote) "[N]ew bikes are all pretty garbage unless you get into the 1000 dollar range."

So your saying the new $400 to $900 bikes by the major LBS only brands are garbage?

This is to say the least, disappointing news, since I (and many hundreds of thousands - if not millions) of other riders cannot afford $600 - let alone $1,000 plus for a bike.

I have been car free for over 20 years. The most expensive new bike I have is a 2004 Giant Cypress DX. If memory serves, it was under $500 when my then boss bought it for my birthday in 2004.

More recently, I bought a 2017 Miami Sun "Traditional" trike, with the optional 7 speed.
To date, I've not had any problems after roughly 1,000 miles. I paid $450 for it,plus accessories.
My first Miami Sun "Traditional" trike (a single speed, with no rear brake) I bought used, in Tampa, Florida. After over 20,000 miles on it, the only "problems" were I had to replace the tires after roughly 11,000 miles, and replace the brake cable at around 10,000 miles. (Plus whatever miles the previous owner(s) put on it.)
Oh, and the sealed rear axle bearings started squeezing maybe 500 miles ago.
NOTE: I was ALWAYS pulling a 4 wheel garden/nursery cart/trailer with a 1,000 pound load limit behind that trike. (The trailer was only overloaded maybe 300 times)

If these are examples of "garbage" I guess I don't need a "good" bike.
Old 05-19-18, 03:34 PM
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

Originally Posted by bicyclridr4life
@SquidPuppet
(Quote) "[N]ew bikes are all pretty garbage unless you get into the 1000 dollar range."

So your saying the new $400 to $900 bikes by the major LBS only brands are garbage?

This is to say the least, disappointing news, since I (and many hundreds of thousands - if not millions) of other riders cannot afford $600 - let alone $1,000 plus for a bike.

I have been car free for over 20 years. The most expensive new bike I have is a 2004 Giant Cypress DX. If memory serves, it was under $500 when my then boss bought it for my birthday in 2004.

More recently, I bought a 2017 Miami Sun "Traditional" trike, with the optional 7 speed.
To date, I've not had any problems after roughly 1,000 miles. I paid $450 for it,plus accessories.
My first Miami Sun "Traditional" trike (a single speed, with no rear brake) I bought used, in Tampa, Florida. After over 20,000 miles on it, the only "problems" were I had to replace the tires after roughly 11,000 miles, and replace the brake cable at around 10,000 miles. (Plus whatever miles the previous owner(s) put on it.)
Oh, and the sealed rear axle bearings started squeezing maybe 500 miles ago.
NOTE: I was ALWAYS pulling a 4 wheel garden/nursery cart/trailer with a 1,000 pound load limit behind that trike. (The trailer was only overloaded maybe 300 times)

If these are examples of "garbage" I guess I don't need a "good" bike.
You quoted me, but I did NOT say that. I said the opposite. Re-read the thread perhaps.
Old 05-20-18, 09:17 AM
bicyclridr4life
Bicyclerider4life

@SquidPuppet
What I quoted is a copy and paste from your second paragraph.
You said it.

You also said to find a used mountain bike with a chromolly frame (which is a good suggestion. I'll go further and suggest one with a full lugged frame (pre 1990/1991) since they are IMHO stronger than a welded frame (and look classier)
Old 05-20-18, 10:04 AM
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

Originally Posted by bicyclridr4life
@SquidPuppet
What I quoted is a copy and paste from your second paragraph.
You said it.

You also said to find a used mountain bike with a chromolly frame (which is a good suggestion. I'll go further and suggest one with a full lugged frame (pre 1990/1991) since they are IMHO stronger than a welded frame (and look classier)
Please don't put words in my mouth. You are misquoting me. Be more careful please. Oneder said what you are claiming I said. See post number 13 and below.

Originally Posted by Oneder
If you are over 300 lbs I would get an old fixed fork mountain bike with cromoly frame (in fact I am and I did). They are cheaper and better quality than any vintage road bikes, which are all either garbage or super expensive for their age. Should be able to get something under 100 bucks with 26 inch wheels that doesn't need much/any work.

Likewise new bikes are all pretty garbage unless you get into the 1000 dollar range. That workman will have to have most its components replaced with something better and the frame itself will be rusty in a year from every review I see. If you really want a cruiser get an 80 or 90s schwinn steel cruiser. They are quite nice bikes and very sturdy, sometimes people want 500 bucks or more for them but I see them for 100-200 sometimes. Just don't get a 2000s era walmart schwinn they are terrible now.

You might be OK on wheels but if you start losing spokes then go to this upgraded wheel. It is the upgraded version of the crappy alloy rim that all the low end bikes come with these days.

https://www.amazon.com/Wheel-Master-26-MTB-Rear/dp/B00AUHTIK6/ref=sr_1_39?ie=UTF8&qid=1526070458&sr=8-39&keywords=26+inch+wheels
This is what I said, that inexpensive Chinese bikes can be good if you find the right one.

Originally Posted by SquidPuppet
The Heavy Duti is still available. It comes with aluminum rims and 14g spokes, so it isn't any stronger than the regular modern cruisers. The Heavy Duti is just a name now. The only real difference is the camel back frame instead of the cantilever frame. I have a Chinese made one form 2000 and I can say that it is very straight and well built. I think the inside of the frame was also coated with a rust inhibitor because I opened up the bottom bracket a few weeks ago for service and all the steel in the shell and tubes looks like it was brand new. I don't know about the weight limit though.

Here is what the current model looks like... $449.00

Old 05-22-18, 08:53 AM
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

Originally Posted by n0+4c u3
/Me thinks you didn't read that right.
@SquidPuppet rides around on an old Schwinn he powdercoated and rebuilt.
I seriously doubt he has more than 6 or 700 dollars into it, and maybe not that much.
Chinese, (maybe Taiwan) $210.00 brand new in 2001. Powder, tires, an expensive saddle, cheap pedals, cheap handlebars and cheap seat post. Comes in right around $450.00 Seventeen years of riding it and I had my first loose spoke a couple weeks ago. Just serviced the crank during the winter and all the races and balls were in good shape. It's a great "junk" bike.
Old 07-10-18, 11:04 AM
Crossthreaded88

Bikes: Cannondale M500, Electra Cruiser 7, Schwinn Cruiser 3 2003 retro, Trek Calipso Cruiser 7sp, Dyno Taboo Tiki, Dyno Moon Eyes, Dyno Duece, Dyno Moto 7

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 9 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by SquidPuppet
Chinese, (maybe Taiwan) $210.00 brand new in 2001. Powder, tires, an expensive saddle, cheap pedals, cheap handlebars and cheap seat post. Comes in right around $450.00 Seventeen years of riding it and I had my first loose spoke a couple weeks ago. Just serviced the crank during the winter and all the races and balls were in good shape. It's a great "junk" bike.
I haven't seen an apology for misquoting you yet the posts are plain to see maybe he has to upgrade to a $1000 computer!
Old 07-10-18, 11:12 AM
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

Not sure if it's the puter, but sumthin needs upgrading.
Old 07-10-18, 11:30 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,578 Times in 910 Posts
I read oneder post to mean: "for you're use."

And I'd agree with his intent: a cheap big box store bike is going to leave a heavier rider wishing for double wall rims & higher quality components in short order if they actually use the bike for more than a few weeks in the summer.

He's not saying they are "crap." He's suggesting better options.

But maybe my phone screen displays different than your computer.

For the record, I ride a 1974 Schwinn Varsity, and a $500 store brand bike. Both got upgraded as soon as I decided to actually put miles on them. In my case being over 200, disc brakes were the first thing to prove completly inadequete, then fatigued forks.

I think oneder just want to save some heartache by suggesting older, used & higher quality than can be had new & cheap.

Last edited by base2; 07-10-18 at 11:36 AM.
Old 09-06-18, 01:16 AM
AtNjineer
Banned.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 23 Posts
Whatever you do don’t get drum brakes lol