Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Sturmey Archer Flip Flop Hub with 2 different chainlines

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-20, 04:20 AM
DemonHunter

Bikes: Koga Miyata Runner 1990

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hello guys,

This is my first post on this forum and I am looking for some advice on how to fix my problem. Thanks in advance!

The gear I have:
  • Sturmey Archer HBT30 flip-flop rear hub with 130 mm OLD -> spec link -> sturmey-archer.com/en/products/detail/hbt30-r-silver
  • Sturmey Archer SFS30 freewheel cog -> spec link -> sturmey-archer.com/en/products/detail/sfs30-18
  • no name fixed cog with a Sturmey Archer lock ring
The problem:

I measured both chainlines (freewheel and fixie) and I got a difference of 3 mm between them. My expectation is to have a unique chainline so I can flip the wheel without doing anything else. Am I wrong? This is the first time I am building a fixie bike.
  • freewheel cog chainline seems to be 45.5 mm (130 / 2 - 19.5)
  • fixie cog chainline seems to be 42.5 mm (130 / 2 - 22.5)
Photos -> imgur.com/a/cOZXS6l

Last edited by DemonHunter; 12-12-20 at 04:57 AM.
Old 12-12-20, 08:21 AM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1331 Post(s)
Liked 764 Times in 431 Posts
You could probably move an axle spacer from one side of the hub to the other and redish the wheel to get a more equal chainline. What is the chainline of the chainring ? That should be your target for the cog/freewheel chainline.

Originally Posted by Dcv
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Old 12-12-20, 08:38 AM
DemonHunter

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by TejanoTrackie
You could probably move an axle spacer from one side of the hub to the other and redish the wheel to get a more equal chainline. What is the chainline of the chainring ? That should be your target for the cog/freewheel chainline.
Hi.

I don't have a crankset yet. I plan to buy one after I solve the freewheel chainline. To be honest, I don't want to move the axle and redish the wheel. I was expecting that evything will work out of the box with a standard chainline (42.5 mm).

After more looking, I think the freewheel cog is not compatible with the flip-flop hub (even if they both are made by Sturmey Archer).

If you look closer, there is a gap of 2-3 mm between the hub and the cog. Sadly, the cog has a smal flange inside (after the thread) that will not let it to go closer to the hub flange (I uploaded a new photo here imgur.com/a/cOZXS6l ). I am very disappointed on Sturmey Archer.

I am looking for a new freewheel cog without any flange. Any recommendation?

Thanks
Old 12-12-20, 08:50 AM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1331 Post(s)
Liked 764 Times in 431 Posts
Just about any standard freewheel should work. A good affordable choice is the ACS Paws >>> https://www.retro-gression.com/colle...paws-freewheel

Originally Posted by Dcv
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Old 12-18-20, 12:52 AM
Mikefule

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by DemonHunter

I measured both chainlines (freewheel and fixie) and I got a difference of 3 mm between them. l
For comparison, if you were riding a derailleur bike, you would have considerably more difference between any two adjacent ratios, never mind between highest and lowest, and you would just accept that that is how bikes work.

I doubt you will even notice 3 mm in real world use. However, if you set it up so that the perfect theoretical chain line is exactly between the two, then you will never be more than 1.5 mm out.

I think this is the sort of variation that you would not even know about if you had not measured it.
Old 12-18-20, 10:44 AM
DemonHunter

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mikefule
For comparison, if you were riding a derailleur bike, you would have considerably more difference between any two adjacent ratios, never mind between highest and lowest, and you would just accept that that is how bikes work.

I doubt you will even notice 3 mm in real world use.
Well .. I guess, it depends. The derailleur bike is using a special chain. The chain used for single speed bikes will not work with this difference.