Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Shimano Ultegra 9sp Running Gear Compatibility

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-21, 08:44 PM
Vintage Raleigh

Bikes: 1974 Copper Raleigh International, 1975 Olive Green Raleigh Grand Prix, 1974 Raleigh Europa Custom

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Hello friends, doing some maintenance on brothers bike and need to order some parts, so wanting to know if there is any compatibility issues with other brands or even different Shimano products.
Don't mind either way but don't want to chase a rare part when something else will do/will work.
He is rough so can't tell him to go easy, he is miles away so I can't drop in to do running repairs and it's a high mileage bike.
The components would be -
• Cassette
• Chain
• Outside Chainring
The cassette is a Shimano Hyperglide CS 6500 12-21
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 03-07-21, 08:55 PM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Bikes: Giant Quasar & Fuji Roubaix

Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 343 Times in 244 Posts
Shimano parts are readily available for that bike but please, tell your brother to do some maintenance every now and then. IE-cleaning- that cassette and chain are disgusting haha. If you're just looking to save some money there are many off brands that are Shimano compatible for less money, but nothing should be rare or hard to find. Good luck,
Old 03-07-21, 09:08 PM
Vintage Raleigh

Bikes: 1974 Copper Raleigh International, 1975 Olive Green Raleigh Grand Prix, 1974 Raleigh Europa Custom

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks for responding, yes he cleaned the next day apparently...
No so concerned saving money per se, but will an Ultegra cassette work better than an Altus or Alivio etc and;
because of ramps and pins, will the correct Ultegra chainring work any better than any 105 or Dura Ace (with correct BCD) of later or same era etc?
Cheers

Last edited by Vintage Raleigh; 03-07-21 at 10:28 PM.
Old 03-07-21, 09:26 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1944 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
I do have to laugh when I read that you have to replace a 53t chainring and a 12-21 cassette. That is pretty serious riding.

You can find Shimano SG B-53 130mm 9 speed chainrings on eBay. Either a 6500 or 5501/02 should be the same.

The cassette is up to you. I doubt you will find a 12-21 9 speed cassette. But you can get a Sunrace, SRAM, Shimano 11-25. Since 9 speed is not as popular as it used to be, there is a very small market for a 9 speed with a 21t or 23t large cog.

I like KMC chains, but SRAM or Shimano are fine. Make sure you get one with a master link.

You might want to add cables and housings to your list. Last thing you need is to get there and find old and/or frayed cables.

Maybe brake pads???

John
Old 03-08-21, 12:46 AM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by 70sSanO
I do have to laugh when I read that you have to replace a 53t chainring and a 12-21 cassette. That is pretty serious riding.

You can find Shimano SG B-53 130mm 9 speed chainrings on eBay. Either a 6500 or 5501/02 should be the same.

The cassette is up to you. I doubt you will find a 12-21 9 speed cassette. But you can get a Sunrace, SRAM, Shimano 11-25. Since 9 speed is not as popular as it used to be, there is a very small market for a 9 speed with a 21t or 23t large cog.

I like KMC chains, but SRAM or Shimano are fine. Make sure you get one with a master link.

You might want to add cables and housings to your list. Last thing you need is to get there and find old and/or frayed cables.

Maybe brake pads???

John
Agree with all of the above - and to emphasize the cables. If the shift cables break off inside the shifters, it can be a huge problem. Better to replace the cables too early than too late. Just my experience with my right shifter years ago.

Unless you actually think he's been replacing cables routinely, get a set of brake and shifter cables + housing and just do it. He can probably send you photos of the brake pads, but that's also something you might want to just assume he needs.
Old 03-08-21, 04:30 PM
John Valuk

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 168 Times in 109 Posts
I have seen a few "new old stock" complete 6500 cranksets on eBay. Depending on what you find for availability / price for the chainring (I haven't been shopping for those, so I don't know), that might be an option worth considering.

There are a few 6500 cassettes kicking around out there, but a lot of vendors show them as out of stock. I was able to buy a 12-27 a while back for not-crazy money.

I see some new ones on eBay in 11-21, but I don't think I'm tough enough to manage that!

Last edited by John Valuk; 03-08-21 at 04:37 PM.
Old 03-10-21, 01:26 AM
Vintage Raleigh

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks to all that responded, will do the chainring (53), cassette (13-23), chain, brake and gear cables.
Old 03-11-21, 08:26 AM
c_m_shooter

Bikes: Soma Pescadero, Surly Pugsley, Salsa Fargo, Schwinn Klunker, Gravity SS 27.5, Monocog 29er

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 166 Posts
SRAM 9 speed cassettes will work if you find one cheaper than shimano. I use SRAM chains because I like the quick link.