Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Touring with Motobecane Fantom Cross Team Titanium Cyclocross Bike

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Touring with Motobecane Fantom Cross Team Titanium Cyclocross Bike

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-21, 07:42 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2736 Post(s)
Liked 970 Times in 793 Posts
re moving a cardboard bike box around.
I'm a slight guy, 135 tops, so I'm not the Hulk, but here's what has worked for me.
I can carry my bike box a short distance, but usually we're talking just putting it into a car. Other than that, its putting it onto an airport luggage cart, unloading it at the desk, or for the line and just sliding it easily along the smooth airport floor.
Upon arrival at an airport, I grab a cart right away and pick it up from the oversize area, putting it back on cart, again so no carrying for more than a few seconds.

One time I had to physically move it farther was flying into Oaxaca, Mexico where for once I was going directly to a hotel with it still in box. The carts were not allowed past a certain point at the airport, so I just slid it along the floor 20 ft, went back, got my panniers, repeat, until I got to the front doors where taxi dudes were.
Other than that, on other trips, airport carts were both available and able to be taken out to close to cars were, but I have also done the "put bike together and ride away" thing at airports. This is why its generally a good idea to practice the whole boxing, unboxing thing a bunch of times so you are familiar with this, so at least its a bit less stressful.

Doing this for the first time when you are tired and maybe jet lagged can easily be a frustrating, drawn out experience.
**One plus for you is that you aren't dealing with a front rack and front fender, so less brain work needed

I would say that if possible, its nice to be able to do this after a sleep and not rushed, so it just makes sense to look into taxi transport possibilities and expect a bit of a workout getting the bike box into a hotel room.

anyway, just more food for thought.
Old 02-24-21, 12:26 AM
dmeans2anend

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
I spent some time today watching Youtube videos on 'packing bikes for air travel' while working out on the treadmill. It reinforced all your helpful advice and tips.

The logistical 'pre-trip' preparation necessary for bike carriage, storage, and hotel arrangements is definitely food for thought that gives me time to work out all the kinks now in leisure instead of rushing around the week before travel like I normally would have done. You just don't know what you don't know until you find out from someone or go through the process blindly yourself. With the benefit of your help, it is not the ladder.

DJB: Good to know that I can rely on the airport cart to get the bike box around and that it's not necessary to buy a 'hard case'. IMHO, less junk to buy the better. I called the local Trek bike shop today with my bike size 49 cm to inquire about a box and the little plastic doohickies to protect the bike. They were more than happy to help and said I could probably pick something up as soon as tomorrow. I was awfully surprised and thought it would be a few weeks but they were very helpful. I will definitely practice when I get the box. With Covid, I probably won't have much luck asking to watch them with new bike disassembly but when it get closer to me leaving from my trip, I'll do that.

Tourist in MSN: Funny you should mention the blue threadlocker. It's a great point! On my PC ride, I had double and tripled checked all the nuts and bolts on the bike and used Loctite blue on the rack. Luckily, I never had any issues at all with any of it but the ONE AND ONLY place I neglected to check were the little bolts on SPD cleats on of my SIDI shoes. It never occurred to me to check there! I was so worry about the bike prior to the trip that I never thought about the shoes that I had worn for years. While pedaling out of the camp ground in Three Capes area in Oregon, I couldn't pedal because a bolt had worked its way loose from my shoe cleat and was lost in the grass. We were in the middle of nowhere and probably 30 miles to the closest town. But boy, was I so lucky that day especially since I was still near the campground! Another cyclist happen to have an extra spare bolt in his repair kit that fit my cleats perfectly. It was a good lesson. Now, I carry a few essential spare bolts and little odds & ends (duck tape, zip ties) to my repair kit. But per your suggestion, I will also use Loctite blue there too. I treated my savior to a full and delicious breakfast at our next pit stop.

Also, I have experience with extremely tight pedal as well but I was at home trying to convert the flat pedals to an SPD pedal. I ended up taking it to REI and the shop mechanic kindly used the pedal wrench to loosen them for me. I chatted with him about my plans for the PC trip. While I was loading the bike to my car, the mechanic came out and give me his pedal spanner as a gift. He said that they had a couple of spares in the shop. It made my day and now I have a pedal wrench of my own. I'll definitely add the pedal wrench to the packing list if I do a loop trip and can leave at the hotel as it is a big heavy tool.

I use a Jetboil so I'll buy the fuel when I get there. Thanks for the link to the MSR site. Good information on making sure that there is no lingering smell remaining on the stove.

*********************************************************************************

Few things I sort of learned from videos but not sure if I am explaining properly though:

1) Deflate tires a little bit so they don't pop in flight
2) Water bottle are good containers of multi-tools and odd bits that are put in ziplocks bags and put back into cage of bike
3) Take handlebar off from stem faceplate instead of taking off the entire stem to prevent headset bearings from coming loose and fork coming loose. Turn the handlebar towards the frame and zip tie.
4) Hydraulic disc brakes should have plastic disc brake spacers to prevent pads from getting stuck together. Not sure if I have hydraulic disc brakes?
5) If using cardboard box, try to zip tie all of it as 'one unit' so that it can be lifted out together in case TSA wants to inspect. Wheels through the crank, steering turned close to the frame.
6) Anything taken off. Make sure the all bolts are tighten back so they aren't lost in transit in the box.
7) Do not pack helmet and cycling shoes with bike in case bike is lost in transit. You still have what you need to rent a bike to ride.
8) Mark the box with contact info on the outside. In the inside attached to the bike, add name, address, and contact information at arrival destination (hotel, phone, etc) in case box is damaged all your information is still on the bike.
9) If you can, leave the seat on the bike and adjust the height at the end so that it is butted to the height of the box to prevent shifting of bike.

Last edited by dmeans2anend; 02-24-21 at 01:34 AM.
Old 02-24-21, 07:04 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3458 Post(s)
Liked 1,465 Times in 1,143 Posts
Yeah, I lost a cleat bolt a couple years ago, even when I check them on a regular basis. When new, the cleats press on the shoe sole, that sole is plastic and gives a little so the bolts loosen up. I store spare bolts on my bike frame, on the photo the bolt on the right side fork dropout is a cleat bolt, the bolt being tapered has a couple washers under it.

When you ask a bike shop for a box, if you tell them your frame size, the box might still be a bit short. Road bikes have short chainstays, touring bikes have longer chainstays. I do not recall if your titanium bike was built as a touring bike or not. My point is that a road bike box is likely shorter in length than a touring bike box.

Other points:
1 - This is controversial, air safety rules specify no compressed gasses, some air security personnel will consider aired up tires to be full of an illegal substance and they will deflate them. Many others do not care. I have to deflate my tires to fit in the small case. I do not think a tire is at risk of blowing off, and I would leave some pressure in the tires so if baggage handlers drop teh box, there is some cushioning from the pressure.

9 - Put something soft over your saddle, I have had one of my leather saddles show a bit of wear from the saddle rubbing on the cardboard. Maybe a paper towel or bandana and a plastic bag over that.

Have a great trip.
Old 02-24-21, 01:31 PM
djb

lots of good stuff that has been brought up here--I find it useful for me to go over it for you, as I find it helps me remember details too for next time.

re spd cleat bolts. Ive tended to check mine sometimes and have never had one come loose, but I once did a trip with a guy who had new everything, bike, panniers, shoes, pedals. Only a few days in, he went to get out of the spd pedal and his shoe wouldnt disengage. Looked at it closely and one bolt had fallen out, so he couldnt get the leverage to disengage. Luckily we were at some stores, AND we found the bolt right there in the gravel (total fluke) . I was able to loosen the other bolt by turning his shoe, but then the cleat was firmly in the spd pedal, so I was able to borrow a wrench from the store employee, and was finally able to get the cleat out of the pedal using teh wrench.
Also super luckily, both bolts hadn't stripped the threads in his shoe, and I was able to screw both back in properly and tightly, and all was fine. Retightened them again a bit each day and then they were fine afterwards.
Old 02-24-21, 01:47 PM
djb

Originally Posted by dmeans2anend
I spent some time today watching Youtube videos on 'packing bikes for air travel' while working out on the treadmill. It reinforced all your helpful advice and tips.

The logistical 'pre-trip' preparation necessary for bike carriage, storage, and hotel arrangements is definitely food for thought that gives me time to work out all the kinks now in leisure instead of rushing around the week before travel like I normally would have done. You just don't know what you don't know until you find out from someone or go through the process blindly yourself. With the benefit of your help, it is not the ladder.

DJB: Good to know that I can rely on the airport cart to get the bike box around and that it's not necessary to buy a 'hard case'. IMHO, less junk to buy the better. I called the local Trek bike shop today with my bike size 49 cm to inquire about a box and the little plastic doohickies to protect the bike. They were more than happy to help and said I could probably pick something up as soon as tomorrow. I was awfully surprised and thought it would be a few weeks but they were very helpful. I will definitely practice when I get the box. With Covid, I probably won't have much luck asking to watch them with new bike disassembly but when it get closer to me leaving from my trip, I'll do that.

Tourist in MSN: Funny you should mention the blue threadlocker. It's a great point! On my PC ride, I had double and tripled checked all the nuts and bolts on the bike and used Loctite blue on the rack. Luckily, I never had any issues at all with any of it but the ONE AND ONLY place I neglected to check were the little bolts on SPD cleats on of my SIDI shoes. It never occurred to me to check there! I was so worry about the bike prior to the trip that I never thought about the shoes that I had worn for years. While pedaling out of the camp ground in Three Capes area in Oregon, I couldn't pedal because a bolt had worked its way loose from my shoe cleat and was lost in the grass. We were in the middle of nowhere and probably 30 miles to the closest town. But boy, was I so lucky that day especially since I was still near the campground! Another cyclist happen to have an extra spare bolt in his repair kit that fit my cleats perfectly. It was a good lesson. Now, I carry a few essential spare bolts and little odds & ends (duck tape, zip ties) to my repair kit. But per your suggestion, I will also use Loctite blue there too. I treated my savior to a full and delicious breakfast at our next pit stop.

Also, I have experience with extremely tight pedal as well but I was at home trying to convert the flat pedals to an SPD pedal. I ended up taking it to REI and the shop mechanic kindly used the pedal wrench to loosen them for me. I chatted with him about my plans for the PC trip. While I was loading the bike to my car, the mechanic came out and give me his pedal spanner as a gift. He said that they had a couple of spares in the shop. It made my day and now I have a pedal wrench of my own. I'll definitely add the pedal wrench to the packing list if I do a loop trip and can leave at the hotel as it is a big heavy tool.

I use a Jetboil so I'll buy the fuel when I get there. Thanks for the link to the MSR site. Good information on making sure that there is no lingering smell remaining on the stove.

*********************************************************************************

Few things I sort of learned from videos but not sure if I am explaining properly though:

1) Deflate tires a little bit so they don't pop in flight
2) Water bottle are good containers of multi-tools and odd bits that are put in ziplocks bags and put back into cage of bike
3) Take handlebar off from stem faceplate instead of taking off the entire stem to prevent headset bearings from coming loose and fork coming loose. Turn the handlebar towards the frame and zip tie.
4) Hydraulic disc brakes should have plastic disc brake spacers to prevent pads from getting stuck together. Not sure if I have hydraulic disc brakes?
5) If using cardboard box, try to zip tie all of it as 'one unit' so that it can be lifted out together in case TSA wants to inspect. Wheels through the crank, steering turned close to the frame.
6) Anything taken off. Make sure the all bolts are tighten back so they aren't lost in transit in the box.
7) Do not pack helmet and cycling shoes with bike in case bike is lost in transit. You still have what you need to rent a bike to ride.
8) Mark the box with contact info on the outside. In the inside attached to the bike, add name, address, and contact information at arrival destination (hotel, phone, etc) in case box is damaged all your information is still on the bike.
9) If you can, leave the seat on the bike and adjust the height at the end so that it is butted to the height of the box to prevent shifting of bike.
super nice of them to give you the pedal wrench. I used to carry a small one on trips, but if you always put grease on the threads, and don't overtighten them, I can use a hex key, allen key, to remove my pedals now. The allen key is lighter than my wrench, and my spd pedals have the allen key shape on the inside back of the pedal axle. I give the allen key a good whack with my hand , cushioned by some clothes, and they loosen fairly easily.

as for your points
1- yes, always take some air out, they will ask you at security or oversize security, so I always say " yes they are deflated" , although I too leave some in for cushion.
2-I'd be a bit hesitant of losing all this important stuff if the box gets ripped and a bike bottle comes loose and falls out......but thats me.
3- absolutely the best way. My bikes have had Ortlieb handlebar mounts on them, which complicates things, and I decided to leave mount on, so I had to deal with the stem being on the bars for packing, not ideal....
4-yes on the spacers, I've even put clean cardboard jammed in my mechanical discs , so that the pads dont get squeezed out too far if and when the brake levers are pushed....As for your brakes, photos please, and or look for an actual cable.
5- ya, I've taken to zip tieing, tie-ing sp? the front wheel to frame now, but really more for stopping wheel from moving around and hub scratching frame. Being Canadian, Ive found our version of TSA to be a lot less invasive than for you guys south of us.
6- yup, pretty good general advice.
7- yup, and also chances are pretty darn good your helmet will get cracked. And yes, I've had crew and passengers look at me funnily also, but hey.....
8- I've actually never thought of doing this....good tip
9- yup, I've alway left seatpost in, and it has always had this positive side effect of keeping bike in place a bit more. I have put cardboard however on my leather seats so they dont get dinged or scuffed if things go badly.

I'd add one more thing.
Another reason to trying it out on your own with lots of time is that it can be frustrating. You'll probably swear some, and there are moments that it really helps to have someone helping, as two hands are lacking at times. So if you do it and make all kinds of mistakes NOT at midnight when you have to fly the next day, its just easier overall.
cheers

Last edited by djb; 02-24-21 at 01:50 PM.
Old 02-24-21, 02:11 PM
dmeans2anend

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
DJB & Tourist in MSN:

Thanks so much again!!! I can't thank you both enough for taking the time to explain all this. It's SO helpful. I'm positive that it has already saved me A LOT grief of down the road.

Hope I can pay it forward some how.

I might just cut and paste this thread to a new one thread on "Packing bike for air travel" in case there are any other folks planning to do so.
Old 02-24-21, 02:19 PM
djb

thats a good idea.
I was serious about enjoying going over it , as I know its like teaching, that by going over something to show someone, it helps you get the concept clearer in your head too, or at least to remind and hopefully cement some of the tips into the 'ol noggin.
Plus, while an internet forum is always going to be impersonal and kinda flakey sometimes, that's what's fun about coming on here--that we are clearly all cycling lovers, so its fun to discuss stuff and to learn and share things.
Old 02-24-21, 05:32 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3458 Post(s)
Liked 1,465 Times in 1,143 Posts
Originally Posted by dmeans2anend
DJB & Tourist in MSN:

Thanks so much again!!! ....
You are welcome, a lot of people on this forum ask for help and you never know if they even read the stuff that you took time to write. I am much more willing to help someone that is interactive like you have been.

Yes, you were lucky on the pedal wrench. There is one built into my S&S coupler wrench, I carry that when I travel with that bike. Otherwise I have relied on the allen wrenches for other bikes. But I like to check a few days before I need to remove them to make sure that is not going to be a problem.

A friend of mine got home from a trip. He had paid a bike shop to pack up his bike and ship it to his home, arrived later. When he reassembled it, he hand tightened a lot of stuff but forgot to wrench tighten his pedals. One pedal partly unscrewed and he destroyed the threads on both the crankarm and pedal. Be careful you do not make that mistake. I always wrench tight the part I am working on before I move onto the next item.