Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Another annoying crankset question, sorry

Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Old 01-29-21, 01:58 PM
acideraser

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

Hi All,
Apologies for asking this question but don't seem to find an answer using search.

I've been riding Vigorelli frame for years, mainly commuting in London, but this summer started going out to Kent and climb some not too steep hills.
Sugino rd2 / messenger cranks, from another cheaper frame. Wasn't happy with the chain line and with the quality but they worked so was ok.
Yesterday right crank broke, I suspect there may have been a microcrack and climbing hills probably added to the issue and here we go.

I love stiffness of Vigorelli frame and looking to replace the crank with something better and stiffer than messenger.
and I understand hollow bb such as GPX or Hollowtech II will add in stiffness - please correct me if I am wrong here.
I was thinking of getting SRAM Omnium but they are now discontinued and whatever is available is £200 or more.

Assuming Omniums are out of reach, what would be next good option - Miche Pistard 2.0 or Sram S300 or should I get Miche Primato Advance and stay with square taper bb?
Is Miche pistard 2 as stiff as Omniums or at least stiffer than messenger and better quality ?

Appreciate the comments
Old 01-29-21, 03:12 PM
Senrab62 
It's the little things

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 147 Posts
Welcome!

Vigorelli is steel, right? I have the RD2 crankset and don't find it overly flexy. I am a Clyde, and fairly strong. I do, however, notice BB/stay/frame flex on steel frames. Rarely if ever actual crank arm flex. But that is my experience LOL. This includes many vintage rides. Always BB flex, rarely cranks.

S300 is supposed to be excellent for the price. I previously mentioned a China special that I like well enough. Also check out the Andel deluxe track crankset. A good value. I think fyxation and someone else also sell decent hollow track cranks for less than omnium money.
Likes For Senrab62:
Old 01-29-21, 05:24 PM
acideraser

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Hi Senrab and thank you.

Mine is an aluminium frame, no flex in the frame and didn’t feel any flex with sugino.
I just don’t want a new crank less stiff than messenger as I assume it will affect the power.

just looked at s300 specs - it uses 130 bcd rings which is fine for me as I can use my messenger or TA chainrings I’ve got.

is it better / stiffer than the miche pistard 2?

also are GXP or hollowtech II systems better thanks JIS sq. taper for fixed gear bikes?

Last edited by acideraser; 01-29-21 at 05:42 PM.
Old 02-01-21, 05:32 AM
aniki

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by acideraser
I just don’t want a new crank less stiff than messenger as I assume it will affect the power.
Quite honestly, I really don't think you'd tell the difference. Not trying to be rude but unless you're huge, strong and racing track sprints one crank will feel much like another. Even then, the sprinters I know couldn't care less what their cranks are.
If you want ultimate stiffness it's Omniums (discontinued), Dura Ace 7710 or Sugino 75 but most people (myself included) buy what they like not what they need.

also are GXP or hollowtech II systems better than JIS sq. taper for fixed gear bikes?
Plenty of Keirin racers still using square taper as well as countless thousands of happy fixed gear riders. I don't think anyone could honestly justify why one might be 'better' than another in the real world so again, just buy what you like.
I have 7710 on my commuter and Sugino 75dd2 on my main bikes. Personally I prefer the Sugino as they copied the hollowtech II system so bottom brackets are far more readily available but can I 'feel' a difference? Hell no!

With reference to the models you mentioned and compatibility with your chainrings; some of the basic Miche cranks are well known to be more prone to failure than others; however, I would say as long as you steer clear of really basic unbranded chinese imports just take your pick for whatever suits.
Likes For aniki:
Old 02-01-21, 06:45 AM
acideraser

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions. I kind of like the idea and simplicity of Hollowtech system.
I think I will go with SRAM S300 - I can use my 130 bcd rings with it.

Hopefully this will finally sort the chainline as well.
Likes For acideraser:
Old 02-02-21, 10:47 AM
acideraser

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Well, finally changed my mind and ordered Omniums from Condor bikes... Now I am concerned a bit with the chain line and frame clearances.
Old 02-02-21, 01:58 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4322 Post(s)
Liked 3,943 Times in 2,636 Posts
Well, finally changed my mind and ordered Omniums from Condor bikes... Now I am concerned a bit with the chain line and frame clearances.
Yeah that is why cranks like that don't get no love from me. If the crank is not going to fit a frame designed for track cranks it is a good thing to avoid especially more since it is no longer being produced. However hopefully it fits but remember no spacers on it so if it doesn't fit without the need for spacers, sell it. Luckily it has a cult following so it should be an easy sell.

I would go Sugino 75 DD (or DD2) and have all the greatness of the external B.B. that people love with a good solid, stiff and good looking crankset that is likely to fit most frames (I can't say all frames because I am sure someone will do some whacky designs.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 02-02-21, 02:24 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1331 Post(s)
Liked 763 Times in 431 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
I would go Sugino 75 DD (or DD2) and have all the greatness of the external B.B. that people love with a good solid, stiff and good looking crankset that is likely to fit most frames (I can't say all frames because I am sure someone will do some whacky designs.
Have you checked on the latest prices for the Sugino 75 DD2 ? By the time you get the nice TORX chainring bolts, the black version will set you back $900. When I bought my black Sugino DD crankset they were only about $500. I was going to buy a ZEN chainring, but they too have nearly doubled in price. OP, if it were me, I would have gone with the Andel cranks, which are plenty stiff and strong, will fit just about anything, and are a heck lot cheaper to boot.

Originally Posted by Dcv
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Likes For TejanoTrackie:
Old 02-02-21, 02:28 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Originally Posted by TejanoTrackie
Have you checked on the latest prices for the Sugino 75 DD2 ? By the time you get the nice TORX chainring bolts, the black version will set you back $900. When I bought my black Sugino DD crankset they were only about $500. I was going to buy a ZEN chainring, but they too have nearly doubled in price. OP, if it were me, I would have gone with the Andel cranks, which are plenty stiff and strong, will fit just about anything, and are a heck lot cheaper to boot.
I haven't looked at pricing in a while. I know the DD1 isn't quite that high but haven't really studied prices on the new one.

The Andel External B.B. crank is a great option as well. Retrogression sells unlabeled ones for cool looks.
Old 02-02-21, 06:01 PM
acideraser

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
... However hopefully it fits but remember no spacers on it so if it doesn't fit without the need for spacers, sell it. Luckily it has a cult following so it should be an easy sell.
Not planning to use spacers. My understanding is it should fit in the end, worst case 44-45mm chainline

I imagine 75DD is top of the top, but sadly au out of my budget.
Likes For acideraser:
Old 02-02-21, 06:40 PM
acideraser

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I don't think Andel with external bb is sold in UK, only saw square taper.

What about this Alpina crank, is it any good? I think this is stock bb for Dolan track bikes.
I can't post link to the Alpina crank yet but it is on Dolan website
Old 02-02-21, 08:33 PM
Altimis

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Well, Keirin in Japan is different beast. They still strict about bike builds for use in Keirin races. Those NJS parts is for insurance for parts builders in Japan such frame builders, hubs, wheels and many other parts will get the jobs and earn the money for living. So its kinda running business domestically.

Japanese Keirin riders often have more than 2-3 bike, their second bike for use in Track/Velodrome other than Keirin races were modern Track bike like Look, Pinarello or Bridgestone newest model etc. They use those traditional steel bike frame (but with updated geometry nowadays) is not mean its the best. Its just their NJS rules (and helping the locally builders to keep running the jobs).

The modern Japanese Keirin is "GIRL" version of Keirin. They use modern bike and parts.

By the way, this not mean square taper is bad in anyway, they still extremely fine and solid performance for use in Track racing. I just pointing out Japanese Keirin why use traditional parts.
Likes For Altimis:
Old 02-02-21, 08:47 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Not planning to use spacers. My understanding is it should fit in the end, worst case 44-45mm chainline

I imagine 75DD is top of the top, but sadly au out of my budget.
The Super 75 DD2 is maybe the top of the top of non-power meter cranks but Phil Wood Track Cranks are quite high end. The regular DD2 is certainly a higher end crank but that was sort of the position of the Omnium in a sense but I don't think it hit that mark. The original DD crank wasn't quite so crazy but maybe it has issues I haven't hit yet. It did come loose on me once but I reinstalled everything properly and no issues beyond that. I think that was my fault.
Old 02-03-21, 04:48 AM
acideraser

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
The Super 75 DD2 is maybe the top of the top of non-power meter cranks but Phil Wood Track Cranks are quite high end. The regular DD2 is certainly a higher end crank but that was sort of the position of the Omnium in a sense but I don't think it hit that mark. The original DD crank wasn't quite so crazy but maybe it has issues I haven't hit yet. It did come loose on me once but I reinstalled everything properly and no issues beyond that. I think that was my fault.
Don't get me wrong, I would love to get 75DD but just can't afford it. Even Omnoms are a bit of a stretch but if they don't fit will have to look at alternatives within the budget.
I decided to steer clear from Miche after finding complaints their cranks crack and snap, so it is either S300 (don't like the look) or possibly Aplina crankset that Dolan fit on their pre-cursa track bikes as these are the only two available here with external bb.
I am however curios about this Alpina crankset from Dolan which is also also sold by Retrogression but I am struggling to find any reviews any info at all.
Old 02-03-21, 07:28 AM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
Don't get me wrong, I would love to get 75DD but just can't afford it. Even Omnoms are a bit of a stretch but if they don't fit will have to look at alternatives within the budget.
I decided to steer clear from Miche after finding complaints their cranks crack and snap, so it is either S300 (don't like the look) or possibly Aplina crankset that Dolan fit on their pre-cursa track bikes as these are the only two available here with external bb.
I am however curios about this Alpina crankset from Dolan which is also also sold by Retrogression but I am struggling to find any reviews any info at all.
Reach out to Scrodzilla, AKA Dave, the owner of Retrogression. He will tell you about the various cranks he inventories. He rides and knows what works and what doesn't.
Likes For TugaDude:
Old 02-03-21, 08:09 AM
acideraser

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by TugaDude
Reach out to Scrodzilla, AKA Dave, the owner of Retrogression. He will tell you about the various cranks he inventories. He rides and knows what works and what doesn't.
Thanks, I actually found a post where he says Alpina track is very good.
Seems I have to return Omniums and get the Alpina - back of chainring bolt is rubbing chainstay slightly
Likes For acideraser:
Old 02-04-21, 07:33 AM
acideraser

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Ended up fitting S300. Chainline looks good, no issues.
Good crank, same or possibly slightly better than RD2 due to different type BB. (my subjective opinion).

Only after fully fitting S300 I realised that Oniums would be fine too but very tight. Turns out I was checking with only DS cup in and put the spider arm flush with the cup.
With both cups there is about 1-2mm gap between the crank and and bb cup which would give same clearance from chainstay to the spider arm.

Finally there is chainring nut wrench by Condor Cycles which works on S300 bolts better than Shimano or Parktool - this is for benefit others looking for info how to change chainrings on S300.
Likes For acideraser: