Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

2-3 Day Loop Route in Florida?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-21, 05:47 PM
SoFloGirl68

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker and a 1990s Bridgestone MB-3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts

I did my first test ride here in Florida. I rode 45 miles on the Withlacoochee Trail, camped overnight and then rode back. I just wanted to get my feet wet and overall, it went really well. I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas for a 2-3 day loop route in Florida? I'd like to do around 50 miles a day, could be a little more.
Old 02-07-21, 08:00 PM
Bassmanbob

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Supersix EVO 3, 2015 Trek 520, 2017 Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, 2022 Moots Vamoots Disc RSL

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 140 Posts
I have not found a good route for a short loop tour in Florida, but my daughter just moved to DeBary, just a bit NE of Orlando. There seems to be a number of nice trails up in the Orlando/ central Florida area. I haven't had the opportunity to investigate them appropriately. I'd be careful of riding on the central Florida roads though. There are a number of universities with crazy driving college kids and tourists that dangerously have no idea where they are going.
Old 02-08-21, 07:58 AM
jpescatore

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Disc, Jamis Renegade

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 217 Posts
Last year I did a shortened 3 day ride not far from that. The first day was Arcadia to Aurburndale - the 53 miles from Arcadia to Bartow weren't much fun, but Bartow had the Fort. Franklin trail that was very nice and the last 7 miles into Auburndale wasn't scenic but pretty safe cycling.

The second day, Auburndale to Mt. Dora was a real gem - the 80 mile day started with 35 miles on the Van Fleet trail, fantastic. The rest of the miles were all fun riding, low traffic roads, some great places to stop for lunch, etc.

So, from Bartow to Mt. Dora was about 100 miles, you could probably figure out a 2 day ride or 3 day roundtrip.

The rest of trip up to Jacksonville got disrupted by weather but didn't look like it was going to all that much fun - but I was taking Amtrak back to DC from Jacksonville.

You can see my route and some pictures on Cycleblaze here.
Old 02-19-21, 04:35 PM
Ridefreemc

Bikes: 2017 Kona TI, 2016 Bike Friday Haul-A-Day, 2015 Bike Friday New World Tourist (for sale), 2011 Mezzo D9, 2004 Marin Mount Vision Pro - for now :)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
There are a couple of nicely spaced Start parks around the Suwannee River (check to see that they are open). Fanning Springs for one is a good place to start. I've done a 5 day trip from Micanopy north and counterclockwise to White Springs, Steven Foster, Lafayette Blue. Pretty quiet roads and some rail-trails.