Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Pre-load Frustration - Shimano 105 5700 Rear Hub

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-21, 09:19 AM
guy1138

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 124 Times in 51 Posts

Hey Gang,

Bought a used bike and noticed some lateral play in the rear wheel. Did a typical rear hub service, but when I preload enough to eliminate the slop, there is a ton of drag! It feels almost as if it is binding on the rubber seal rings, but I don't see how. Checked the manual, and everything looks to be assembled correctly. Is there a trick I'm missing? More info: the wheel is a replacement, and the 10spd cassette was installed without the 10/11spd spacer necessary for this free-hub, so it has some poor mechanics in the past.

Old 02-25-21, 09:53 AM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,060 Times in 744 Posts
Do both sides have all 9 bearings, Is the axle bent, Does it only drag in one direction which could mean a sticky freewheel body needing a good flush and fresh lube, is the seal on the freewheel body side pressed all the way in and not crooked. is the freewheel body mounting bolt on tight. Can't think of anything else at the moment.
Old 02-25-21, 10:02 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4197 Post(s)
Liked 3,849 Times in 2,300 Posts
Can the rubber seal be removed to test if the drag is still there? Andy
Old 02-25-21, 10:22 AM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked 1,014 Times in 696 Posts
Are your pictures from before the service? The grease looks OEM.

I agree with the above, but I wouldn't try to pull the rubber seal. You said that there was play in the wheel, but you don't mention how much or if the wheel was mounted or not, and what adjustments you made to 'eliminate the slop'. For hubs, I try to leave a trace of play in the bearings because clamping with the skewer appropriately (or axle nuts) will compress the bearings a little more and eliminate the play.

If you're confident that everything's back together the right way, I'll just add that rubber seals do introduce some drag, or else they're just not functioning. Think about RS cartridge bearings vs unshielded cup and cone BB bearings. The latter ones will spin the crank arms happily after a nudge, but you have to keep pushing the former (when new).
Old 02-25-21, 10:23 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6187 Post(s)
Liked 4,803 Times in 3,313 Posts
If you use a heavy grease and pack the entire hub with it to excess, it can make your wheel feel like it's dragging till it's ridden long enough to move all the unnecessary grease out of the way.

If you adjust the bearings to perfection prior to clamping with the skewer, then they'll be too tight when on the bike. A little play is actually a good thing. I've never tried to eliminate every last bit of play.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 02-25-21, 11:38 AM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
I adjust the bearings with a 7/16" nut on the drive axle and the QR installed and tightened. I adjust the bearings so that there is a small amount of drag (pre-load) on the bearings. When the QR is opened 1/2 way there should be a small amount of play in the bearings.
Old 02-25-21, 12:01 PM
blamester
Blamester

Bikes: Peugeot teamline

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 101 Posts
Have you it in the right way round?
​​​​​​Push the cone up against the bearings by hand and spin it. Is it free? Try the other side is it the same. Find where it is binding.
Old 02-25-21, 04:05 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
If you use a heavy grease and pack the entire hub with it to excess, it can make your wheel feel like it's dragging till it's ridden long enough to move all the unnecessary grease out of the way.

If you adjust the bearings to perfection prior to clamping with the skewer, then they'll be too tight when on the bike. A little play is actually a good thing. I've never tried to eliminate every last bit of play.
This hub axle vise allows you to adjust the bearings while the QR is applying tension, so no need to compensate: https://www.steintool.com/portfolio-...ub-axle-vises/
Old 02-25-21, 06:23 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1789 Post(s)
Liked 1,266 Times in 873 Posts
You do realize the bearings have to have a little "slop" BEFORE you tighten the QR?
The force you clamp down with can have an effect. Add possible Drop Out misalignment which will be exacerbated more the tighter you clamp.
I won't go into "does the axle compress or bend" argument, but "something" happens.