Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Cage width question

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Cage width question

Old 02-26-21, 11:19 PM
etherhuffer 

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker,81 Fuji Gran Tour SE, 83 Fuji S12S LTD, Voyageur 11.8 chrome, Raleigh R300 Touring, Voyageur 11.8

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 500 Times in 226 Posts
Cage width question

I have built up several vintage frames with no problems at all. Sugino front triple, RSX front derailleur. Did a Surly Long Haul Trucker with Deore front derailleur and get rub at high and low gears. Are varying derailleurs of varying speeds more or less narrow? I have all 7 and 8 speed on all my stuff. The Surly has long chain stays, which should minimize rub, not make it worse. Any ideas?
Old 02-27-21, 08:03 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3582 Post(s)
Liked 3,394 Times in 1,928 Posts
Front derailleurs intended for friction shifting tend to be narrower than those used with indexed shifting because with friction shifting you can eliminate rub by trimming the derailleur after the shift. Front indexed shifting relies on ramps and pins to facilitate the shift, and a wide cage eliminates the need for post-shift trim.
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 02-27-21, 03:01 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4194 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
What shifter does the LHT have for the front? 9 speed cranks have the rings slightly closer together so the matching 9 speed ft der doesn't have to travel as far. So for the same cable pull the 9 speed ft der cage will move less. With a friction ft shifter one just pulls the lever a tad more. Plus there's a difference between road and MtB 9 speed cable pull/der cage movements. With an indexed shifter one has to match up the intended gear counts with ft ders and shifters of the same intended use (MtB w/ MtB and road with road). Andy
Old 02-27-21, 03:59 PM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 513 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 334 Posts
With indexing, front derailleur width is specific to the brand and the number of cogs on back. With friction, use trim. Check your chainline and derailleur alignment too.
Old 02-27-21, 04:57 PM
blamester
Blamester

Bikes: Peugeot teamline

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 101 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
Front derailleurs intended for friction shifting tend to be narrower than those used with indexed shifting because with friction shifting you can eliminate rub by trimming the derailleur after the shift. Front indexed shifting relies on ramps and pins to facilitate the shift, and a wide cage eliminates the need for post-shift trim.
Could be that deore derailleur.. Try a road one.
Is ithe shifter the limit or the derailleur?
Can you push the derailleur by hand past the rub?
Old 02-28-21, 06:39 PM
etherhuffer 

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker,81 Fuji Gran Tour SE, 83 Fuji S12S LTD, Voyageur 11.8 chrome, Raleigh R300 Touring, Voyageur 11.8

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 500 Times in 226 Posts
Thanks all. Sugino compact triple in front. Sora shifters 3x8 indexed. Deore FD I tried an Alpina and RSX FD but the tails with chainstay. I have done this same build on several other bikes, the oversize tubing sort of limits what I use, and the seat-chainstay angle.
Old 03-01-21, 10:06 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,163 Times in 1,322 Posts
Well, if the FD cage has a screw, and not a rivet, in the back that connects the outer cage to the inner cage, you can put a washer in there and spread it if the chain is barely rubbing no matter what you do.

I have done this “enhancement” many a time when I wanted a skosh more clearance for the chain.

John