Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Need tips for locating compatible bearings for a dual sport bike

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 03-05-21, 09:56 PM
FixngFriendBike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi all!

I am having trouble identifying a pair of compatible wheel bearings for a bike. I noticed some lateral play on both wheels of an early 2010's (maybe 2014?) Diamondback trace dual sport bike I decided to replace the wheel hub bearings. There was what appeared to be some sort of proprietary dust seal/metal ring that rested on top of the ball bearings, which were on the outside of the hub's cup. Does this sound like a familiar type of hub bearing arrangement? I replace wheel bearings for motorcycles all the time, but I am unable to look up the bearings by the bike type nor the hub's name (SL7) it seems.

Does anybody have any tips for finding a bike's bearing type?

Thanks!
Old 03-06-21, 05:03 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 834 Post(s)
Liked 610 Times in 407 Posts
I’m not familiar with the hubs on that bike. A lot of inexpensive wheels use unbranded hubs. All cup/cone I’ve worked on use a locknut and once loosened and unthreaded, along with the cone, the ball bearings are exposed. There is nothing between the cone races and the ball bearings. Just use a magnet toget the ball bearings out.

But you might have a sealed cartridge bearing. If you were able to remove the axle, and there are no cones. That might be the plastic seal you see that is keeping from getting to the ball bearings. There is probably a bearing number on the seal for a replacement.

John

Last edited by 70sSanO; 03-06-21 at 05:11 AM.
Old 03-06-21, 07:58 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1537 Post(s)
Liked 1,049 Times in 719 Posts
You buy bearings based on the hub design, not the brand, year, or model of bike

Most bicycle cup & cone hubs will use 3/16" or 1/4" balls depending on manufacturer and/or front/rear. You buy loose chrome steel balls from a bearing supply or LBS in the correct size and replace.

Sealed bearing hubs will use standard cartridge bearings (for example a 6800 2RS) that you read the numbers off of and purchase accordingly from either a bearing supplier or LBS.

https://icanwheels.com/blogs/news/ev...cycle-bearings
Old 03-06-21, 08:01 AM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1304 Post(s)
Liked 774 Times in 541 Posts
Originally Posted by dedhed View Post

Most bicycle cup & cone hubs will use 3/16" or 1/4" balls depending on manufacturer and/or front/rear. You buy loose chrome steel balls from a bearing supply or LBS in the correct size and replace.
Grade 25 balls will be fine.
Old 03-06-21, 08:09 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Originally Posted by dsbrantjr View Post
Grade 25 balls will be fine.
Thanks, meant to put that in there and forgot.
Old 03-06-21, 10:19 AM
FixngFriendBike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks everybody.

This morning, I double checked the axle rod and bearings, and it turns out the setup is in-fact a rod/cone setup. The reason I missed this, is that one of the cones was missing, and the one that was there was much smaller/thinner than the other cones I saw on youtube.

Measured the balls, and they are 1/4 inch bearings. I'll take your recommendations on bearings and buy some replacement balls.

Thanks for the help! I have had to rebuild every single wear item on this bike for the first time, all in one go. I guess that's the best way to learn!
Old 03-06-21, 10:20 AM
FixngFriendBike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks John. I will certainly check for a number on the seal.
Old 03-06-21, 10:22 AM
FixngFriendBike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dedhed View Post

Sealed bearing hubs will use standard cartridge bearings (for example a 6800 2RS) that you read the numbers off of and purchase accordingly from either a bearing supplier or LBS.
I see. Thank you. Mine are 1/4. I just ordered them
Old 03-06-21, 12:30 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Originally Posted by FixngFriendBike View Post
This morning, I double checked the axle rod and bearings, and it turns out the setup is in-fact a rod/cone setup. The reason I missed this, is that one of the cones was missing, and the one that was there was much smaller/thinner than the other cones I saw on youtube.

That's going to be the hard part - finding the correct cone for the hub to replace the missing one. Virtually hundreds of different cones out there.

https://wheelsmfg.com/hub-tech-help

https://wheelsmfg.com/products/hub-parts/all-cones.html
Old 03-06-21, 09:49 PM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '79 Gios, '80 Masi, '06 Felt, early '60s Frejus

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 77 Times in 56 Posts
Take the parts to your local bike shop. They can identify and order replacements even if you want to do the work yourself.
Likes For oldbobcat: