Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Recommendations for a higher end flat bar road bike (hybrid)?

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Recommendations for a higher end flat bar road bike (hybrid)?

Old 01-03-15, 09:55 PM
  #1  
jaycb74
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 57
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Recommendations for a higher end flat bar road bike (hybrid)?

Hi, I've been riding the Trek 7.5 for about 3 years now, great bike, really enjoyed it but beating the crap out of it and things now constantly having to be fixed. I ride quite a bit (for me), 2-3 x week, anywhere from 30-60 miles total per week and anywhere from about 1.5k to 4k total in elevation per week. Looking to upgrade to a carbon frame (my first!) and have a budget of about $2-3k. Based on the above, does anyone have any recommendations on what you think would be a good fit? I'm eyeing the 7.7fx but my local shop doesn't keep them in stock as they don't sell so no way to really test ride. Have never ridden a drop bar bike and don't want to learn now, I'm old...

Is there any consensus on the best high end hybrids in my range? Thanks for any recommendations...

Jay
jaycb74 is offline  
Old 01-04-15, 01:11 AM
  #2  
ColonelSanders
Senior Member
 
ColonelSanders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 3,943

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1279 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by jaycb74 View Post
Hi, I've been riding the Trek 7.5 for about 3 years now, great bike, really enjoyed it but beating the crap out of it and things now constantly having to be fixed. I ride quite a bit (for me), 2-3 x week, anywhere from 30-60 miles total per week and anywhere from about 1.5k to 4k total in elevation per week. Looking to upgrade to a carbon frame (my first!) and have a budget of about $2-3k. Based on the above, does anyone have any recommendations on what you think would be a good fit? I'm eyeing the 7.7fx but my local shop doesn't keep them in stock as they don't sell so no way to really test ride. Have never ridden a drop bar bike and don't want to learn now, I'm old...

Is there any consensus on the best high end hybrids in my range? Thanks for any recommendations...

Jay
Do yourself a favour and make sure this is one of the bikes you look at really closely.

So much better looking than the Trek 7.7 and better specs too.

SIRRUS EXPERT CARBON DISC

Specialized Bicycle Components


Last edited by ColonelSanders; 01-04-15 at 01:14 AM.
ColonelSanders is offline  
Old 01-04-15, 08:11 AM
  #3  
FarHorizon
Senior Curmudgeon
 
FarHorizon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Directly above the center of the earth
Posts: 3,856

Bikes: Varies by day

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nicest one I've seen is the Raleigh Cadent i11.
FarHorizon is offline  
Old 01-04-15, 09:44 AM
  #4  
practical
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Middelbury, Vermont
Posts: 1,105

Bikes: Giant Escape 1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Here's my experience for what it's worth: I had a Nashbar Flatbar road bike. It was almost identical to the Trek 7.2 that my friend had until she got a real road bike. Nice inexpensive bikes but I thought the Nashbar and Trek were both sluggish so I got the Giant Escape 1 this year and I have been very happy with it. I rode almost 2K miles this year. I ride it pretty much like a road bike and ride with people who do ride road bikes. I put "28" tires on it. It weighs about 27 pounds and comes with a 9-speed triple. I'm sure you can find better bikes but for $650 you won't go wrong.
practical is offline  
Old 01-04-15, 11:18 AM
  #5  
badger1
Senior Member
 
badger1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Southwestern Ontario
Posts: 4,493
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1200 Post(s)
Liked 396 Times in 231 Posts
OP,

Given that budget, you can essentially choose to buy whatever is available (for '15). In the U.S., there are four or five candidates. They are different, with respect to tire clearance, brakes, and geometry; the only way you can know which you would prefer is to to test ride/get properly fitted -- always important, even more so if you are going to drop that kind of money. No one ... NO ONE ... on here can tell you in the abstract which is 'better' for you, though many will try.

Of these, the best overall value by far is the Giant ... but again, only if it fits/you like it -- they are all very fine bikes.

FastRoad CoMax 1 (2015) | Giant Bicycles | United States

Specialized Bicycle Components or
Specialized Bicycle Components

7.7 FX - Trek Bicycle

Quick Carbon 1 - QUICK CARBON - FITNESS - FITNESS & URBAN - BIKES - 2015
badger1 is offline  
Old 01-04-15, 11:31 AM
  #6  
Cdtf
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You all forget many bikes.

-the BMC AlpenChallenge, with or without a belt, with or without a Shimano Alfine:
alpenchallenge AC01 IGH Alfine Alfine 11 ? lifestyle ? BMC Switzerland

-Canyon Fitness bikes. 105 or Ultegra:
Canyon | Fitness | Roadlite AL 7.0

-Cube bikes:
CUBE SL ROAD
Once again, Ultegra or 105.

-Schindelhauer if you want something classy:
bikes | Schindelhauer Bikes

-Veloheld for an amazing steel bike:
veloheld.lane | veloheld

-And Simplon if you want the best hybrid money can buy:
Fahrrad Sport Inissio Tour Simplon
Cdtf is offline  
Old 01-04-15, 11:41 AM
  #7  
fietsbob
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Posts: 43,599

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,309 Times in 822 Posts
The Name 'Fitness Bike' was to apply to those Narrow racer wheel with flat bars .. In Europe the Group set for them has been offered from Campag & Shimano..

that is where those companies get the Components..
fietsbob is offline  
Old 01-04-15, 12:45 PM
  #8  
badger1
Senior Member
 
badger1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Southwestern Ontario
Posts: 4,493
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1200 Post(s)
Liked 396 Times in 231 Posts
Originally Posted by Cdtf View Post
You all forget many bikes.

-the BMC AlpenChallenge, with or without a belt, with or without a Shimano Alfine:
alpenchallenge AC01 IGH Alfine Alfine 11 ? lifestyle ? BMC Switzerland

-Canyon Fitness bikes. 105 or Ultegra:
Canyon | Fitness | Roadlite AL 7.0

-Cube bikes:
CUBE SL ROAD
Once again, Ultegra or 105.

-Schindelhauer if you want something classy:
bikes | Schindelhauer Bikes

-Veloheld for an amazing steel bike:
veloheld.lane | veloheld

-And Simplon if you want the best hybrid money can buy:
Fahrrad Sport Inissio Tour Simplon
Errrm ... I could be wrong, but the OP is likely located in the U.S. The bmc aside, not one of the bikes you list is available in North America as far as I know. Again, could be wrong.
badger1 is offline  
Old 01-04-15, 01:05 PM
  #9  
2702
Senior Member
 
2702's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Albuquerque, New Mexico
Posts: 830

Bikes: 16 Haibike Sdruo Cross SM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
BMC is like the Mercerdes Benz of bikes in price. I would just look at the 4 brands that are easily found in the States. Not being biased the Specialized Sirrus is really very good at everything. I would search for a leftover 2014 Sirrus carbon bike best looking styling that the 2015 bikes can't match.
2702 is offline  
Old 01-04-15, 04:22 PM
  #10  
Monstermash
Theflatbarguy!
 
Monstermash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 475

Bikes: Custom Giant Anyroad Flatbar, Custom Raw Steel Raleigh XXIX SS

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by badger1 View Post
Errrm ... I could be wrong, but the OP is likely located in the U.S. The bmc aside, not one of the bikes you list is available in North America as far as I know. Again, could be wrong.
He also stated he wanted a carbon frame.
Monstermash is offline  
Old 01-04-15, 05:34 PM
  #11  
badger1
Senior Member
 
badger1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Southwestern Ontario
Posts: 4,493
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1200 Post(s)
Liked 396 Times in 231 Posts
Originally Posted by Monstermash View Post
He also stated he wanted a carbon frame.
+1

One of those interwebz things, I guess: answering questions someone didn't ask! You know: 'recommend me a really nice full-carbon flat-bar bike'. Response: 'buy a drop-bar road bike; buy a cyclocross bike; why do you want carbon?' ... that kind of thing.
badger1 is offline  
Old 01-04-15, 05:37 PM
  #12  
Monstermash
Theflatbarguy!
 
Monstermash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 475

Bikes: Custom Giant Anyroad Flatbar, Custom Raw Steel Raleigh XXIX SS

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by badger1 View Post
+1

One of those interwebz things, I guess: answering questions someone didn't ask! You know: 'recommend me a really nice full-carbon flat-bar bike'. Response: 'buy a drop-bar road bike; buy a cyclocross bike; why do you want carbon?' ... that kind of thing.
Lol! It's not an interwebz thing, people don't pay attention in real life either.
Monstermash is offline  
Old 01-04-15, 05:48 PM
  #13  
Fudgeurpizzy
Senior Member
 
Fudgeurpizzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Vero beach, fl
Posts: 127

Bikes: 2014 trek 7.7fx

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
personally i dislike the looks of the specialized a lot. that bike is not my style and the zertz inserts lol...

i ride a trek 2014 7.7fx and love it. upgraded to the 7.7fx from a 7.3fx. people stop and check it out all the time. had some cats looking at it while scoring coffee just today.

i have upgraded mine for pure hybrid speed. just like being different toooooo.

stuff i have swapped out so far.
carbon satellite elite handlebar
stem xxx carbon
carbon stem spacers
xxx seat post
xxx paradigm saddle
br-9000 brakes
conti grand prix 4000 s II tires
bonny aeolus d3 wheels

PURE BEAST.

i like trek (:
Fudgeurpizzy is offline  
Old 01-04-15, 08:03 PM
  #14  
bikejrff
Senior Member
 
bikejrff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Fort Wayne, IN
Posts: 455

Bikes: No. 22 Bicycle Great Divide, Lynskey R260, Salsa Colossal Ti, Litespeed T5, Lynskey Peloton, Bianchi Vigorelli, CAAD 10, Giant FastRoad CoMax 1, C-Dale Quick 1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts
I just ordered this

FastRoad CoMax 1 (2015) | Giant Bicycles | United States

$1486 + tax.

Better shifters and crankset than the Sirrus Elite Carbon. And I did not want a compact.
bikejrff is offline  
Old 01-04-15, 08:14 PM
  #15  
Monstermash
Theflatbarguy!
 
Monstermash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 475

Bikes: Custom Giant Anyroad Flatbar, Custom Raw Steel Raleigh XXIX SS

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Trek 7.7FX is a pretty nice bike but when is Trek going to get with the times and offer it with disc brakes? Also it's way over priced IMO.
Monstermash is offline  
Old 01-04-15, 08:32 PM
  #16  
side_FX
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 551
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Monstermash View Post
The Trek 7.7FX is a pretty nice bike but when is Trek going to get with the times and offer it with disc brakes? Also it's way over priced IMO.
True. Why offer discs on your cheaper models, but not the top of the line? Why is the color selection on your most expensive FX model the most conservative? Why would you offer the same basic white bike on two similar price points? (7.4/7.5)

i love the FX line, but somebody in Waterloo made some pretty odd marketing choices this year if you ask me.
side_FX is offline  
Old 01-04-15, 09:10 PM
  #17  
Monstermash
Theflatbarguy!
 
Monstermash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 475

Bikes: Custom Giant Anyroad Flatbar, Custom Raw Steel Raleigh XXIX SS

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by side_FX View Post
i love the FX line, but somebody in Waterloo made some pretty odd marketing choices this year if you ask me.
Just this year? Lol!
Monstermash is offline  
Old 01-04-15, 10:11 PM
  #18  
2702
Senior Member
 
2702's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Albuquerque, New Mexico
Posts: 830

Bikes: 16 Haibike Sdruo Cross SM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm a disc brake convert 100%. At first I was being silly and worried about weight penalty, than got a disc brake bike and will never look back. Calipers just seem weird at a certain price point, don't care if its say ultergra or dura ace on it.
2702 is offline  
Old 01-05-15, 09:11 AM
  #19  
Monstermash
Theflatbarguy!
 
Monstermash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 475

Bikes: Custom Giant Anyroad Flatbar, Custom Raw Steel Raleigh XXIX SS

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 2702 View Post
I'm a disc brake convert 100%. At first I was being silly and worried about weight penalty, than got a disc brake bike and will never look back. Calipers just seem weird at a certain price point, don't care if its say ultergra or dura ace on it.
Like anything else in this sport, if you spend enough money weight isn't an issue. I had Formula Rx hydraulic disc brakes on my carbon crux flatbar and it only weighed 18.2 lbs complete with bottles, cages, Garmin GPS, and pedals. And I didn't go crazy with other components trying to be ultra lightweight.
Monstermash is offline  
Old 01-05-15, 11:49 AM
  #20  
jaycb74
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 57
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks everyone for the info; for my purposes it seems the 7.7fx or Specialized Sirrus is probably about right; now if I could just find a 7.7 to test ride!
jaycb74 is offline  
Old 01-06-15, 06:46 PM
  #21  
badger1
Senior Member
 
badger1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Southwestern Ontario
Posts: 4,493
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1200 Post(s)
Liked 396 Times in 231 Posts
Originally Posted by alexdi View Post
I'm actually in the opposing camp of preferring rim brakes. The Vs on my hybrid are light, simple to adjust, and powerful. Modulation is good enough to balance on the front wheel from any speed. I don't spend much time in rain or dirt, so to me, the weight and cost of discs outweigh the marginal advantage in dry conditions.
On this point I would agree to an extent. It's not so much a weight/cost issue in my view, but rather that other points (fit; general preference) should prevail absent other considerations.

For example, if the OP does come down to a choice between say the Trek 7.7 and one of the carbon Sirrus bikes, he/she shouldn't make a decision predicated primarily on the presence or absence of discs -- provided his/her riding conditions don't generally present rain/mud/snow etc. Vs and modern road calipers are more than adequate for 'good' conditions road riding. Like you, I use v brakes (TRP CX9s with Avid SD7 levers), and find them excellent for my cycling.
badger1 is offline  
Old 01-06-15, 09:20 PM
  #22  
themishmosh
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 316
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by alexdi View Post
I'm actually in the opposing camp of preferring rim brakes. The Vs on my hybrid are light, simple to adjust, and powerful. Modulation is good enough to balance on the front wheel from any speed. I don't spend much time in rain or dirt, so to me, the weight and cost of discs outweigh the marginal advantage in dry conditions.
I'm with you brother. Disc brakes can be finicky and noisy. I think disc pads are a big time scam. Why do they cost as much as some car brake pads??? My Avid BB7s squeel like a pig when wet and I don't think the stopping power is all that great either.
themishmosh is offline  
Old 01-06-15, 09:49 PM
  #23  
2702
Senior Member
 
2702's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Albuquerque, New Mexico
Posts: 830

Bikes: 16 Haibike Sdruo Cross SM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Disc Brakes on top end bikes is the future, only the 7.7 FX is left out of the big 4 to not use it. Its like motorcycles with ABS, give it 5 years and every new motorcycle will have it. I consider it a luxury to have good disc brakes on a bicycle. It makes
2702 is offline  
Old 01-06-15, 11:43 PM
  #24  
2702
Senior Member
 
2702's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Albuquerque, New Mexico
Posts: 830

Bikes: 16 Haibike Sdruo Cross SM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bikejrff View Post
I just ordered this

FastRoad CoMax 1 (2015) | Giant Bicycles | United States

$1486 + tax.

Better shifters and crankset than the Sirrus Elite Carbon. And I did not want a compact.
I think that bike comes with the same flatbar as on my Fastroad SLR. Giant connect XC Flat 31.8. I did not like this bar and replaced it with a 660mm length mountain bike bar. Much better control. The stock bar is just way too flat for good cornering leverage.

Titec HELLBENT ProLite XC Am MTB Riser Handlebar 660mm 31 8mm 1 5in | eBay
2702 is offline  
Old 01-07-15, 06:58 AM
  #25  
Lt Stonez
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Skien Norway
Posts: 425

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus Comp Carbon Disc '14

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 2702 View Post
BMC is like the Mercerdes Benz of bikes in price. I would just look at the 4 brands that are easily found in the States. Not being biased the Specialized Sirrus is really very good at everything. I would search for a leftover 2014 Sirrus carbon bike best looking styling that the 2015 bikes can't match.
Not sure he can find one. 14 Sirrus modells are the last year with a Roubaix frame i belive. Dont now how '15 sirrus feels, but the '14 sirrus carbon bikes is really fast, good handling bike.
Never heard anything bad about them.
Lt Stonez is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.