Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

EZ Fire Shifter, Twist Shifter...what other types are there?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-10, 10:50 AM
AceH

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

New to biking. I have a 21 Speed EZ Fire Shifters on my bike. I briefly had a bike with twist shifter but I prefer the EZ Fire Shifters. Just curious, what other types of shifters are there?
Old 06-20-10, 08:07 PM
DX-MAN
Banned

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
1. The EZ Fires you're familiar with.
2. Twist shifters.
3. Friction shifters.
4. Thumbshifters.
5. Dual Control.
6. SRAM Double Tap.
7. Shimano's road 'brifters'.

SRAM's Impulse triggers are an improvement over Alivio trigger design, but they're still triggers. SRAM was/is also the innovator of the twist shifters.
Old 06-20-10, 09:02 PM
Asi
Engineer

Bikes: 1989 Krapf (with Dura-ace) road bike, 1973 Sputnik (made by XB3) road bike , 1961 Peugeot fixed gear, 2010 Trek 4400

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll add Campagnolo brifters, and some geared hubs with pedal shifting (operated by pedaling with "hiccups" to get the picture)
Old 06-24-10, 12:04 AM
1987cp
Albatross bars are cool!!

Bikes: 1984 Cannondale ST; 1975 Raleigh Grand Prix; mystery Nashbar tandem MTB; 1991 Paramount Series 20 PDG (in bits); 1984 Raleigh Record (in smaller bits, needs dropout repair); 1985 Raleigh Alyeska (wrecked, needs downtube repair)

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Here's a good article that mentions (I think) most if not all of the shifter systems that have been used. Note the importance of distinguishing marketing copy from what actually works for you on your bike.

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/upgrade-gears.html

I'd also suggest Rivendell's article on friction shifting.

https://www.rivbike.com/article/components/shifting

Personally, I really prefer a lever of some sort, though it could be in part because SIS thumbshifters were the first shifters I ever used, and I got used to them in a big hurry. I seem to dislike the shovey-shovey motion with Rapidfires, never certain what gear position I'm in anyway, plus it's between difficult and impossible to yank them smoothly over multiple positions if desired. My wife, on the other hand, loves the Rapidfires on her Globe Carmel and has no desire to use anything else. And unfortunately (IMO), hardly any new stuff these days comes with levers, which is probably why some people wouldn't know about them!

BTW, I'm currently trying a set of el-cheapo Pyramid friction thumb shifters I got from Niagara Cycle for a whole $5, so you could probably try out lever shifting for less than $10 total if you like. Rivbike sells SunRace thumb shifters for $14, or you might hunt eBay for a set of old SIS models if you strongly prefer index-ability.
Old 06-24-10, 04:29 PM
xtrajack
xtrajack

Bikes: Kona fire mountain/xtracycle,Univega landrover fs,Nishiki custom sport Ross professional super gran tour Schwinn Mesa (future Xtracycle donor bike)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like friction shifters.