Notices
Adaptive Cycling: Handcycles, Amputee Adaptation, Visual Impairment, and Other Needs Have a need for adaptive equipment to ride to compensate for a disability or loss of limb or function? This area is for discussion among those of us in the cycling world that are coming back from traumatic circumstances and tell the world, "No, you are not going to beat me down!"

Gear shift control

Old 10-13-20, 12:25 AM
Shoey

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Gear shift control

Hi everyone, I am based in Australia, having cerebral palsy I don’t have pull use of my right hand. Looking at purchasing a new x-caliber 7 mountain bike. This bike is single gear set at front. Is there anyone that can supply a shifter to use with my left hand for shifting the rear derailleur at all.. thank you in advance for help with this challenge. Thanks David
Old 10-14-20, 12:57 PM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 179 Posts
Originally Posted by Shoey
Hi everyone, I am based in Australia, having cerebral palsy I don’t have pull use of my right hand. Looking at purchasing a new x-caliber 7 mountain bike. This bike is single gear set at front. Is there anyone that can supply a shifter to use with my left hand for shifting the rear derailleur at all.. thank you in advance for help with this challenge. Thanks David
You might send an email to Mark Powers at Power On Cycling (www.poweroncycling.com). He runs a store in Tennessee here in the US and has been a great source to help to returning veterans of our various wars over the past two decades. If anyone would know a fix it is him. Your question is simple and it wouldn't take up much of his valuable time to answer. The existing shifter on the Trek bike you are considering is a Shimano Deore M4100, 10 speed shifter.
Old 10-14-20, 02:53 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Originally Posted by Shoey
So it's standard convention that the rear shifter is on the right side. You could take the shifter that comes with the bike and mount it upside down on the left side - I'm not sure how ergonomic that will be, but that would be the easiest, least expensive thing to try first. The shifter is normally under the bar, so turning it upside down will put it on top of the bar. You could add a "handlebar extender" - basically a secondary bar section to mount stuff:

and put that under the bar where the left shifter goes and mount the shifter to that - the shifter will be upside down but under the handlebar. The bikeshop/mechanic needs to make sure the handlebar extender fits the handlebars by the left handgrip and make sure the shifter fits the extender.

Another option is get a 10 speed thumb shifter:

and mount that on the left side either upside down or backwards. Or find a clever tinkerer to modify that right thumb shifter to work properly on the left side - I bet that wouldn't be too difficult.
Old 10-15-20, 03:43 AM
Shoey

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hi Vagas triker, thank you for your suggestion I will definitely make contact with Mark and see what he might suggest..

[QUOTE

=VegasTriker;21743186]You might send an email to Mark Powers at Power On Cycling (www.poweroncycling.com). He runs a store in Tennessee here in the US and has been a great source to help to returning veterans of our various wars over the past two decades. If anyone would know a fix it is him. Your question is simple and it wouldn't take up much of his valuable time to answer. The existing shifter on the Trek bike you are considering is a Shimano Deore M4100, 10 speed shifter.[/QUOTE]