Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

New to tandem bikes

Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

New to tandem bikes

Old 10-29-20, 02:41 PM
Phillips66

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New to tandem bikes

Hi everyone, I just picked up a 2016 Trek t900 tandem bike. I’ve been going thru all the mechanics and everything looks good accept the cables are rusty. I don’t think they were stainless steel. Any suggestions on what replacement cables I should be buying or at least what length? If I replace the shifters with a brake/shifter combo it will come with brake cables, will the rear brake cable on the new combo be long enough to reach? Will I need 3 cables?
plus are brake cables the same as shifter cables?

thank you in advance

David

Last edited by Phillips66; 10-29-20 at 03:33 PM. Reason: Another question
Old 10-29-20, 03:43 PM
Serenity5

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Jag wire has tandem spec length and while your at it replace the housing too. LBS can cut you stuff for the lengths you might need as they get that stuff in bulk rolls. They might not have tandem length shifter and brake lines but Precision Tandems or Tandems East will definatly have what you need. And yes there is a differance in shifter and brake lines, as well as the housing. Good luck on your new ride. Our first tandem was a 86 myata It is still kicking but i also went through the whole thing and replaced lots of stuff and repainted it too. All my kids have had at least one or two tours as my stoker. Have fun ;-}
Old 10-29-20, 04:11 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2475 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 513 Posts
Where are you located? It would be extremely unlikely that a store bought brake/shifter combo would have the 2700 - 3000mm tandem length cable cores for the rear derailleur/brake caliper. I am about to take a set off a cargo bike I just bought. Should be long enough for a tandem. Personally I would buy separate Tektro levers and Shimano shifters if I was going through the trouble. And yes, Jagwire should have both the cores and the housings for the brakes and derailleurs.
Old 10-29-20, 06:10 PM
Serenity5

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
my LBS wouldn't have the long cable cores either, that is why i suggested getting them from Precision or Tandems east. I suppose you could get them from other sources (amazon) but I like to support guys that are part of the greater tandem community when you can't get stuff from your LBS. At the time i lived not far from Gear to Go tandems and he had everything for my reconditioning.
Old 10-29-20, 06:26 PM
Phillips66

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I’m in Illinois, I’ll look them up and see about ordering some. I’m just disappointed that how this bike has rusted parts on it, I’m sure it’s how the guy had it stored. Even the spoke ends have corrosion on them.
Old 10-29-20, 10:34 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2475 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 513 Posts
Originally Posted by Serenity5
my LBS wouldn't have the long cable cores either, that is why i suggested getting them from Precision or Tandems east. I suppose you could get them from other sources (amazon) but I like to support guys that are part of the greater tandem community when you can't get stuff from your LBS. At the time i lived not far from Gear to Go tandems and he had everything for my reconditioning.
You'd be surprised. My LBS absolutely would have the long cable cores. They all should, it's not only tandems that need them. It was the flatbar brifters that probably would not have the long cable cores. But separate brake levers, shifters (triggers are my recommendation), cable cores and housing shouldn't end up costing way different from the setup being planned by the o.p. But, as I mentioned, my Mongoose Envoy cargo bike came with these Shimano flat-bar brifters that I don't really care for. 8sp like the T900. Flat rate shipping to Chi-town (I don't want anything for the brifters themselves) might be worth it.
Old 11-02-20, 09:19 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1428 Post(s)
Liked 697 Times in 353 Posts
Another option for cables is to go with single length cables, and couplers, like those used on travel bikes.

You have to use two cables for the rear brake and derailleur, but it has the advantage that if you break a cable you can replace it with an easily sourced single cable, which can be a real advantage in a pinch, particularly if you travel with the bike
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 11-02-20, 09:45 AM
jethro00

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 32 Posts
We have a Trek T900 that is a lot older than yours. It's a good bike. We also have a DaVinci Grand Junction. When I have purchased new grip shifters, the cable they come with is not long enough for a tandem. I just bought shifter cables: Jagwire Slick Stainless Derailleur Wire 3100mm Shimano, $6.49 each from Ben's Cycle online (free shipping). I find no LBS in New Orleans keeps shifter cable that long in stock. I find it wise to order 1 or 2 extra in case for some reason you run into trouble and have to pull one back out and it frays on you. Bummer about your previous owner who let it rust.

Last edited by jethro00; 11-03-20 at 10:36 AM.
Old 11-03-20, 10:36 AM
jethro00

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 32 Posts
Phillips66, I will add that I have found it helpful before pulling out cables to take a series of pictures of all connecting points and parts on the cable. That way, when some of those small parts fall off when you remove the cable, you will have something to go by when you install the new cable.
Likes For jethro00:
Old 11-03-20, 07:20 PM
Phillips66

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good idea and thank you, I ended up just replacing the shifters. It had tektro brake handles on it and I couldn’t see replacing those.
Old 11-05-20, 08:37 AM
sdodd

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 24 Posts
Just to point out if it isn't obvious - The front brake cable and housing are standard length. Any normal ~1 meter (1000mm) type of size cable will fit fine.
For the rear brake and shifters sometimes cables are not called out as 'tandem' cables. Just look for something in the 2.5m - 3.0m (2500mm-3000mm) length. You can use your old cable to determine a more precise length. Buying a cable that is too long is always better than buying one that is too short. =)
Old 12-25-20, 09:03 AM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
Originally Posted by Serenity5
Gees, ye of so little faith! Tandem length cables are marginally more expensive than regular and most good larger shops will have a set in stock for the occasional tune-up, etc, My local shop here definitely always has tandem cables in stock for tune-ups on Tandems, Cargo bikes, recumbents, etc.
Old 12-25-20, 09:07 AM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
Another option for cables is to go with single length cables, and couplers, like those used on travel bikes.

You have to use two cables for the rear brake and derailleur, but it has the advantage that if you break a cable you can replace it with an easily sourced single cable, which can be a real advantage in a pinch, particularly if you travel with the bike
Great idea as well!
Old 12-25-20, 09:22 AM
velojym

Bikes: Konas: Jake the Snake-Fire Mountain-Zing Supreme, Dew Deluxe,Zone Ltd. (frame, needs parts), Surly Long Haul Trucker, Santana Arriva tandem, Montagues: Paratrooper-Fit, Trek 1200, Bianchi Ocelot, Fantom Cross Uno, Bridgestone 200

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 122 Posts
My LBS didn't have 'em in stock, but were able to get them in a day or two.
We do have a great tandem specific shop in the area, though, and consider ourselves lucky about that. He, of course, has 'em in stock pretty much always.
Got another set from him, as I'm planning to re-cable the Santana soon, with new bar tape as well.