Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Shimano STI 9 sp. brifter replacement.??

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-16, 01:12 PM
bikeaday

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi to all,
Got an old Tiagra 9 sp. shifter that is broken and need replacement. I was looking at MicroShift brifter to replace this broken one. New Tiagra 9 s. shifter are hard to find and asking an arm and a leg if you can find one. MicroShift only sell for roughly 90$ for a pair. Are those any good and reliable and recommended replacement. Thanks.
Andy
Old 06-06-16, 02:12 PM
techsensei

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I don't have personal experience with them, but we sell other SunRace products at the co-op, and they are good quality. FYI, if you buy the MicroShift from Performance or its sister company Nasbar (under the respective brands Forté and Nashbar) the parts come with a lifetime satisfaction guarantee.
Old 06-06-16, 02:18 PM
dr_lha

Bikes: 2016 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross v5, 2015 Ritchey Road Logic, 1998 Specialized Rockhopper, 2017 Raleigh Grand Prix

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by bikeaday
Hi to all,
Got an old Tiagra 9 sp. shifter that is broken and need replacement. I was looking at MicroShift brifter to replace this broken one. New Tiagra 9 s. shifter are hard to find and asking an arm and a leg if you can find one. MicroShift only sell for roughly 90$ for a pair. Are those any good and reliable and recommended replacement. Thanks.
Andy
I just stuck 10-speed Microshift STI shifters on a bike, which I got for $75 from Nashbar. Honestly, they're pretty nice, I like feel of the shifters and they feel very positive in action and are easy to set up. The only downside I would suggest is that they are noisier than their Shimano replacements (5700 105s that went on a different bike) and the action requires a bit more "force". Still these might be considered to be good things depending on the user. I'll admit I have not ridden on them much yet, but I was quite impressed with the quality of these for the price.
Old 06-06-16, 03:28 PM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
shimano sora 3500 shifters can be had in that price range
Old 06-06-16, 03:41 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
I have 10-speed Microshift "downtube" levers on my Retroshift brifters and they have been very good performers. You should be happy with them.
Old 06-06-16, 03:59 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
You can also pick up shimano 9 speed bar ends if you like them; they work very well.
Old 06-06-16, 04:08 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
2x11 Campagnolo Athena Ergos will work on Shimano 9-speed. Remarkably inexpensive at Ribble.

It's possible that Shimano 11-speeds will work on Shimano SIS 9-speed, and the new 10-speed 4700 Tiagra shifters with the new longer pull might work on SIS 8-speed. The Shimergo math looks about right. But I haven't heard of anyone trying it, and don't have the parts to try it myself.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 06-06-16, 04:08 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
I have used Microshift derailleurs and have been impressed with the quality of their construction. Gevenalle uses them as the basis for their BURD derailleurs: Derailleurs | Product Categories | Gevenalle

You might take a look at their approach to shifters as well, they are very simple and rugged: Shifters | Product Categories | Gevenalle I suspect that the shifters are made by Microshift as well.
Old 06-06-16, 04:30 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
You might take a look at their approach to shifters as well, they are very simple and rugged: Shifters | Product Categories | Gevenalle I suspect that the shifters are made by Microshift as well.
Yes indeed, the Gevenalle/Retroshift lshift evers are from Microshift.
Old 06-07-16, 05:53 AM
hyhuu

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sport

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
They are good and reliable.
Old 06-07-16, 07:13 AM
sch

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 104 Posts
as per redlube, Sora shifters available in 2x and 2x eg: Bicycle Shifters and Brake-Shift Levers - AEBike.com

These are sort of a specialty item now as 9spd slowly drifts over the horizon. The Sora class is not a bad choice at all as typically Shimano upgrades its 'lower end"
groupos as time goes by.
Old 06-07-16, 09:51 AM
bikeaday

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sch
as per redlube, Sora shifters available in 2x and 2x eg: Bicycle Shifters and Brake-Shift Levers - AEBike.com

These are sort of a specialty item now as 9spd slowly drifts over the horizon. The Sora class is not a bad choice at all as typically Shimano upgrades its 'lower end"
groupos as time goes by.
Thanks guys for all the advises. I decided to go with MicroShift shifter, not a bad deal, 73$ on aliXpress for both shifters with free ship. to Canada. Probably be nailed with another 15% of taxes when it gets here but that's life. Sora would be nice but the owner of the bike wasn't ready to pay 130$ ++. Thanks again.
Old 06-07-16, 05:04 PM
Flinstone

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is kind of a lousy situation recently. Once your stuff brakes you are forced to either upgrade a bunch of stuff or accept a downgrade to some lesser line or off-brand. People say that's the nature of the small market. It might be true I suppose. I would tend to think Shimano could make enough extra stock to sell for several years without increasing price. Maybe not. Anyway, it's irritating. Maybe Sora's now are as good as Tiagras were then, due to trickle down, but it's not kind of not satisfying putting lesser tier stuff on your old beloved. Of course shimano doesn't mind if you buy a whole new 11 speed group.
Old 06-07-16, 09:47 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
These levers are on a lot of great quality factory bikes. You should be happy with them.
Old 06-08-16, 05:06 AM
dksix

Bikes: Basso Luguna, Fuji Nevada

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4261 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
I'm using MicroSHIFT 10 speed STI's and really like them. They are louder than my Shimano but I prefer the 3 lever design to that of Shimano. They work great, very positive engagement when shifting with a loud click. I'm only complaint is side exiting cables, I wish they had some that were rear exiting. If you keep an eye on eBay you can find good deals, I got mine for less than $30 shipped.
Old 06-08-16, 05:44 AM
Bike Gremlin
Mostly harmless ™

Bikes: Heavy, with friction shifters

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 216 Times in 130 Posts
Originally Posted by Flinstone
This is kind of a lousy situation recently. Once your stuff brakes you are forced to either upgrade a bunch of stuff or accept a downgrade to some lesser line or off-brand. People say that's the nature of the small market. It might be true I suppose. I would tend to think Shimano could make enough extra stock to sell for several years without increasing price. Maybe not. Anyway, it's irritating. Maybe Sora's now are as good as Tiagras were then, due to trickle down, but it's not kind of not satisfying putting lesser tier stuff on your old beloved. Of course shimano doesn't mind if you buy a whole new 11 speed group.
I'm not sure how downgrade really is downgrade. In spite of all the marketing and fuss, I find that the "obsolete" stuff is still realatively easy to source, if not Shimano, then by some other manufacturer and it works well. Unless racing, a few more grams of weight is the only penalty, while functioning and robustness is still decent, if not better.
Old 06-08-16, 05:11 PM
Flinstone

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Slaninar
I'm not sure how downgrade really is downgrade. In spite of all the marketing and fuss, I find that the "obsolete" stuff is still realatively easy to source, if not Shimano, then by some other manufacturer and it works well. Unless racing, a few more grams of weight is the only penalty, while functioning and robustness is still decent, if not better.
From Sora to 105 I'd say the difference is not just weight. From 105 up to deor, it's more about weight though (still not only). I think I read that sora fd shifter doesn't have trim for instance. That would be a show stopper for me, but I'm not certain. It also doesn't have under tape routing for better or worse, and I think it can't shift multiple gears at once. However I'm comparing to recent higher tier stuff. To do this right I should I compare to older higher tier( yet 9-speed) stuff. I skipped 9, so I'm not sure. OH and personally, at the moment the 105 group has the best looks to me, not that I'd turn down free ultegra stuff.

Last edited by Flinstone; 06-08-16 at 05:16 PM.
Old 06-08-16, 05:39 PM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
From Sora to 105 I'd say the difference is not just weight. From 105 up to deor, it's more about weight though (still not only). I think I read that sora fd shifter doesn't have trim for instance. That would be a show stopper for me, but I'm not certain. It also doesn't have under tape routing for better or worse, and I think it can't shift multiple gears at once. However I'm comparing to recent higher tier stuff. To do this right I should I compare to older higher tier( yet 9-speed) stuff. I skipped 9, so I'm not sure. OH and personally, at the moment the 105 group has the best looks to me, not that I'd turn down free ultegra stuff.
The sora 3500 shifters are worlds better in terms of ergonomics and feel compared to 9 speed 105 level shifters. They have trim too. The new 2017 9 speed sora will have under bar tape wrapping, but its unclear if it will be backwards compatible or use the new cable pull ratio
Old 06-08-16, 11:02 PM
Bike Gremlin
Mostly harmless ™

Bikes: Heavy, with friction shifters

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 216 Times in 130 Posts
All I can say is I switched from 10 speed 105 to 8 speed Claris. No under bar cable routing (which is good IMO, less friction), but shifting was flawless, precise, as well as FD trim option, so no problems. Ergonomy was a bit better for my hands with Clarsi, but that's personal preference, the rest however is objective data.