Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Neo-retro '82 SBDU 753 TTS build

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-23, 05:06 AM
tangerineowl

Bikes: Curve Grovel v2 ti

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 75 Posts

From this https://www.retrobike.co.uk/threads/...winner.468337/

to the current dodgy mockup with the bits I have at the moment....

Forgive the dodgy pic and the yellow earplugs.

Notes:-
Bar and stem is just a placeholder atm, for measuring the front end fit. Have a couple more options coming in; see which setup I prefer
This is N+1 to my gravel bike build; I like the 40/22 ring setup on that, so I'm currently going with a 42/22 for this.
126mm rear with Tricolor hub/s and 10sp Ultegra cassette (after reading about the possibility on a thread here).

Rebuilt the Suntour Cyclone GT Mk2 rear D yesterday after watching a helpful online vid. Purchased secondhand; was in pretty good nick though.
NOS Mountech front D that supposedly can clear a 20t difference. See how we go once I've got the Outer ring pinned and clocked correctly.
Lower bottom edge of the cage just clears the chainstay by about 3mm. I think I'm lucky there, as it seems the seat tube angle on this TTS is about 74.5deg or so!
(No wonder I needed monster setback!; long inseam plus long femurs).

Was originally planning on some new vintage looking 14mmInner box rims in brown/grey ano (thought they'd look good with the frame colour etc.), but in the end I thought the ride might be a bit better on a 18mm Inner, with the black DT Swiss RR411? rims (will be getting wheels made up).

Tyres I'm considering at the moment are some black Tufo 28mm racing tyres.

Still waiting on downtube shifters to come in. Cage mount, cage and bottle. Along with a bunch of small parts to put it all together.
Will finish it off with some crazy BlueLug bartape colours and a small silver Simworks rear upper rack.
Probably deserves a small BlueLug sticker on there somewhere also

Defo not a resto-mod

Once its all together I'll put up a final pic.

Build idea was inspired by looking at some old Ephgrave and A.S.Gillot build/frame pics for too long, along with staring at UltraRomance's Malocchio build way too much.

Could have gone for an ultralight build, but I'll keep the gravel bike for that.

Last edited by tangerineowl; 12-31-23 at 05:07 AM. Reason: txt
Likes For tangerineowl:
Old 12-31-23, 06:19 AM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1829 Post(s)
Liked 3,376 Times in 1,580 Posts
I'll give points for a creative use for ear plugs.

I don't think I've seen a "Time Trial Special" here in the USA. Sounds interesting! Any idea how it might differ from standard road frames? Also... was this a Worksop built frame, or is there a chance that it was from the SBDU group at Raleigh?
...edit: just noticed that the title of the thread says "SBDU"... oops (end of edit)
The chainstay decals remind me of the ones on the SBDU frames, such as mine...

As for inspiration, my first thought was Beryl Burton. Her time trials were legendary, and she rode a Raleigh team bike.. at least in some photos.

Steve in Peoria

Last edited by steelbikeguy; 12-31-23 at 06:51 AM.
Old 12-31-23, 10:03 AM
TenGrainBread 

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 650 Times in 336 Posts
Can I ask what the intention is putting touring parts on a 753 frame designed for time trailing? Seems like the wrong "tool for the job" as they say. The geometry, tubing, and frame configuration are not really designed for leisurely riding or carrying rack and baggage.

Also seems all the weight savings from the high-end tubeset and spare frame design are being eaten back up by the heavy parts, especially that steel Nitto seatpost which is almost twice as heavy as any period correct aluminum seatpost that would have been used.

Of course it's your bike and you may do as you please, just wondering the thought process behind the selection of frame for this project. You cite touring bicycles as your inspiration.
Old 12-31-23, 10:18 AM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked 1,258 Times in 663 Posts
that is a short and steep frame. It will have an "exciting" ride I'm sure.

Dont be put off by the comments of nay-sayers. interested in your comments after riding it.

These SBDUs were among the best bikes of the period.

/markp
Likes For mpetry912:
Old 12-31-23, 10:20 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,836 Times in 2,229 Posts
Guessing he just wants a light frame. Cassette and 42/22chainring would indicate no TTs are planned.
Old 12-31-23, 10:58 AM
Oldairhead 
RUSA #3100

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked 505 Times in 181 Posts
Not to argue with the OP but to me this bike is more of a retro build. A "neo-retro" bike would be one that is newly built and designed with modern components but in a classic style. A resto-mod would be an older bike that is updated with modern components but this is different than both of those types. I would categorize it as a simple retro-frankenbike which is not a derogatory term. A mix of decent quality Euro and Asian parts of a similar period to the frame, some of which seem to be at odds with each other as to their original purpose. I'm not denouncing the effort because sometimes people see a unique end result for their work based on what they want. Maybe it has it's own category, a retro-gravel-time tial machine? Could be ahead of it's time!
Old 12-31-23, 11:19 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,836 Times in 2,229 Posts
Semantics aside, I like to build a frame just to ride it, to get the feel of the characteristics the way I am most comfortable riding. If it seems something extra special or my thoughts about the component selection change, then I have no problem rebuilding it differently. If I stayed off the vintage Sales thread, the rebuilds might decrease.
Old 12-31-23, 05:13 PM
tangerineowl

@TenGrainBread:
I was chasing two things: An old horizontal top tube steel frame with geo that would fit me well (This is 61x53). Also a higher-end, lively-riding tubeset.
This 753T frame is supposed to ride more flexy than the stiffer 753R tubing/designs. Am 58kg, so I'll see how that goes.
I did get caught out on the steep seat tube, but the fork has a good 44mm rake, rather than the standard approx 38mm on a TTS frameset.
Frame reach and stack is similar to my good-fitting gravel bike.
Wasn't chasing a touring wheelbase / ride feel, more at the club-ride end of things. Even though I've loaded it down with some heavy parts.
I do a lot of climbing; have come to like this approx ring combo.

@Oldairhead:
Retro-frankenbike. I'll take it

@Wildwood:
Yep; I'm looking forward to the frame feel. This will be my first steel bike.
Old 12-31-23, 06:45 PM
Piff 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 754 Times in 411 Posts
Amazing geometry, 61cm x 53cm...Honestly not far off what I want, though my preferred is closer to 60cm x 55cm.

I am very curious to hear what you think about the ride quality given the frame's size and the tubing. 753t is quite thin.

Can't wait to see it all built up
Old 12-31-23, 10:16 PM
tangerineowl

Originally Posted by Piff
Amazing geometry, 61cm x 53cm...Honestly not far off what I want, though my preferred is closer to 60cm x 55cm.

I am very curious to hear what you think about the ride quality given the frame's size and the tubing. 753t is quite thin.

Can't wait to see it all built up
I'm curious as well.

Vaguely remember you asking about the Exage Motion aero lever weight, in your bike thread. 150gm ea.

You may have come across the 60?x55 that Doug Fattic mentioned in a post in this sub.

Those Schwinn rando bars you also asked about...

Last edited by tangerineowl; 12-31-23 at 10:52 PM. Reason: Txt
Likes For tangerineowl:
Old 12-31-23, 10:37 PM
Doug Fattic 
framebuilder

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 615 Post(s)
Liked 1,916 Times in 656 Posts
Originally Posted by steelbikeguy
As for inspiration, my first thought was Beryl Burton. Her time trials were legendary, and she rode a Raleigh team bike.. at least in some photos.

Steve in Peoria
When I was learning how to build frames at Ellis Briggs in Shipley, West Yorkshire in1975, Jack Briggs told me about them building frames for Beryl Burton. He explained how she preferred "pencil" stays. I don't know every company that sponsored her but i do know nearby wholesaler Ron Kitching in Harrogate did at one time. What I assumed was that E-B made the frame (at least did sometimes) and painted it with the Kitching graphics. Or whoever she was sponsored by at the time, Of course she had a long career with multiple sponsors.
Likes For Doug Fattic:
Old 01-02-24, 04:46 PM
BertoBerg 

Bikes: '72 Peugeot PX-10, '09 A. Homer Hilsen, '78 Masi Gran Crit, '79 Echelon Spectra

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 100 Posts
Looks like an interesting and unique build. Have fun!
Old 01-02-24, 05:45 PM
TenGrainBread 

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 650 Times in 336 Posts
Originally Posted by tangerineowl
@TenGrainBread:
I was chasing two things: An old horizontal top tube steel frame with geo that would fit me well (This is 61x53). Also a higher-end, lively-riding tubeset.
This 753T frame is supposed to ride more flexy than the stiffer 753R tubing/designs. Am 58kg, so I'll see how that goes.
I did get caught out on the steep seat tube, but the fork has a good 44mm rake, rather than the standard approx 38mm on a TTS frameset.
Frame reach and stack is similar to my good-fitting gravel bike.
Wasn't chasing a touring wheelbase / ride feel, more at the club-ride end of things. Even though I've loaded it down with some heavy parts.
I do a lot of climbing; have come to like this approx ring combo.
Sounds like you've thought this through; consider my skepticism satisfied.