Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Topline crankset manufacture dates.

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-24, 01:49 AM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1641 Post(s)
Liked 831 Times in 540 Posts

Just wondering, when we're the Topline (Road, with 130mm BCD.) cranksets manufactured and sold to the public.
Asking because I want yo know what bikes it would be most period correct to install a Topline crsnkset.
They look very "classic" (like something from the early 70's), but I suspect they might have actually heen made in the 90's?

Last edited by Chombi1; 02-12-24 at 02:13 AM.
Old 02-12-24, 06:01 AM
SpeedofLite 

Bikes: Litespeed (9); Slingshot (9); Specialized (3); Kestrel (2); Cervelo (1); FELT (1); Trek (2)

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 436 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 999 Posts
Originally Posted by Chombi1
Just wondering, when we're the Topline (Road, with 130mm BCD.) cranksets manufactured and sold to the public.
Asking because I want yo know what bikes it would be most period correct to install a Topline crsnkset.
They look very "classic" (like something from the early 70's), but I suspect they might have actually heen made in the 90's?
I bought a FELT B2-Tri new in 1996 and had Topline cranks installed for the build. Toplines were quite popular among triathletes during the mid-90s.

WTB: Bike World issue Jun 1974.

Old 02-12-24, 10:00 AM
TenGrainBread 

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 650 Times in 336 Posts
I have always considered 1991 to be the first year of production for Topline specifically. Check out this ad hosted by MOMBAT indicating advertising started 1992.

https://mombatbicycles.com/1192Topline.jpg

Last edited by TenGrainBread; 02-12-24 at 01:25 PM.
Likes For TenGrainBread:
Old 02-12-24, 11:18 AM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,296 Times in 866 Posts
By the mid-1990's, I was sensing that there was resistance building against the "CNC Weight Weenie Era".

Failures of many such producer's parts, usually ridden NOT by the lighter riders that they were ostensibly aimed at, made the liabilities for both riders and the industry apparent.

One weakness of the TopLine Superlight cranks (versus the regular TopLine cranks) was for the left crankarm to crack/split adjacent to the bb spindle, accelerated by re-torquing of the crankarm bolt.
I bought Topline MTB cranks in their normal-dimensioned variant, bought them well-used actually, and found them to be nearly indestructible in almost 20 years of CX, mtb and crit racing where drop-off landings with the crankarms horizontal were not too common. They finally succumbed to my riding out the last lap of a CX race as the bolt came fully loose, eventually losing the left arm and pedal on course (I later retrieved it, alas with a damaged square taper).

These are the ones not labeled as superlight, the arms are thicker:
Old 02-12-24, 01:23 PM
Chombi1 

Thanks for the information on Topline cranksets guys!
so it looks like the earliest year Topline crsnksets existed is around 1991A little bit later than I thought but maybe still possibly acceptable as a C&V component.to most C&Vers....
It's still quite surprising though that they were made that late, considering the design aesthetics on the crankset.
They might have been considered "retro" looking, even at that time. It also surprises that it was part of a mostly ATB component group, instead of a weight weenie road group from the manufacturer, because of its very delicate, classic looks.
The good thing is, there should still be enough 1991 bikes that will be a good match for the Topline cranks.....in steel (My preference.).
Yes, I guess I'm being silly trying to figure out a future build around a crsnkset, but in rare occasion, I guess, you have to do it that way as a C&Ver....
Maybe an Ameeican artisanal/possibly custom bike from that era, with nice lugwork and understated graphics and paint?
Old 02-12-24, 01:26 PM
TenGrainBread 

Thanks for the information on Topline cranksets guys!
so it looks like the earliest year Topline crsnksets existed is around 1991A little bit later than I thought but maybe still possibly acceptable as a C&V component.to most C&Vers....
It's still quite surprising though that they were made that late, considering the design aesthetics on the crankset.
They might have been considered "retro" looking, even at that time. It also surprises that it was part of a mostly ATB component group, instead of a weight weenie road group from the manufacturer, because of its very delicate, classic looks.
The good thing is, there should still be enough 1991 bikes that will be a good match for the Topline cranks.....in steel (My preference.).
Yes' I guess I'm being silly trying to figure out a future build around a crsnkset, but in rare occasion, I guess, you have to do it that way as a C&Ver....
Maybe an Ameeican artisanal/possibly custom bike from that era, with nice lugwork and understated graphics and paint?
I'm using a set on my current project, a late 80s Mecacycle. All that's remaining is the rear wheel build.
Old 02-12-24, 01:33 PM
Chombi1 

Originally Posted by TenGrainBread
I'm using a set on my current project, a late 80s Mecacycle. All that's remaining is the rear wheel build.
Oooh!,.... We have to see that when you're done with the build!
Are you building a "Turbo" model with the wishbone split seat tube?
The Mecacycles sounds to be a good choice for a good match to the Topline road cranks..as they were mostly built with the super light Supervitus 980 tubesets....
Old 02-12-24, 01:39 PM
TenGrainBread 

Oooh!,.... We have to see that when you're done with the build!
Are you building a "Turbo" model with the wishbone split seat tube?
The Mecacycles sounds to be a good choice for a good match to the Topline road cranks..as they were mostly built with the super light Supervitus 980 tubesets....
No it's a Chrono model with a single seat tube, although the seattube is crimped for tire clearance, which was a trend in the late 80s among French framebuilders.
Old 02-12-24, 09:08 PM
Ex Pres 
Cat 6

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 183 Times in 118 Posts
I have a set that I rode for a while, and my body is no weight weenie (190#-200#). Guessing my sets not the "superlight".