Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

The Ultimate Bike

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

The Ultimate Bike

Old 08-28-13, 09:05 AM
balrog687

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
This is my old-school dream setup for touring-commuting

Reynolds 953 Frame and Fork
Phil Wood touring cassette hub 36 holes
Mavic A719 rims 36 holes
Wheelsmith butted spokes
Brooks B17 Saddle
Schwalbe marathon mondial 700×42 folding tire
Tubus Cosmo rear rack / Ortlieb office bag
Sugino Alpina 2 crank (48/36/24)
Paul touring canti brakes and brake levers
Chris king sealed steel-headset
Velo Orange touring pedals (sealed)
Shimano Ultegra bar-end shifters
Shimano Ultegra frond and rear derraileur
Shimano ultegra 11-28 cassette
KMC 10 speed chain
Nitto randonneur handlebar, stem and seatpost
SKS Fenders

The high-tech version includes rolhoff speedhub, son 28 dynamo, belt drive, and magura hidraulic rim-brakes.

Last edited by balrog687; 08-28-13 at 09:09 AM.
Old 10-16-13, 02:10 AM
EdZilla

Bikes: '15 Novara Gotham,'10 Specialized Roubaix, Stump FSR 29, 9zero7 Fat bike,'13 Raleigh Cadent i11 (stolen 3/2015)

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Man, that is sweet.

Seems like a real commuter needs a rack though. Why no rack?
Old 10-16-13, 03:53 PM
dynaryder
DancesWithSUVs

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Because he doesn't need one?

Of the 4 four bikes I've used the most for commuting(2 hybrids,1 touring,1 cross),only one had a rack,and it didn't get much use. I haven't used it at all since I got the cargo bike.

C'dale BBU('05 and '09)/Super Six/Hooligan8and 3,Kona Dew Deluxe,Novara Buzz/Safari,Surly Big Dummy,Marin Pt Reyes,Giant Defy 1,Schwinn DBX SuperSport,Dahon Speed Pro TT,Brompton S6L/S2E-X
Old 10-16-13, 05:06 PM
HydroG33r 

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Steely Dan
Silly question. The ultimate bike is having a whole stable of bikes for various types of weather, terrain, missions, etc.
+1
Old 10-16-13, 05:56 PM
Erwin8r

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jcmkk3
This would pretty much be it for me. The only things I would change is to use a Di2 Alfine 11 with the new hydraulic drop levers.

English Cycles
FTW.
Old 10-17-13, 02:37 AM
MWB88

Bikes: Scott Venture 10, Giant OCR 3 C2 Composite, Norco Monterey SL

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For an Ultimate Commuter Bike, this one fits the bill pretty well. Its a 2012 Scott SUB 10 with urban kit. Here are some of the features that I appreciate so much as an urban commuter:

- 8-speed Alfine internal gear hub: An IGH is great: Not only is it maintainance-free, its also so easy to gear up and gear down at stoplights
- Gates CTC Belt drive: clean and maintenance-free, no grease to dirty up your pant legs
- Supernova dynohub and light kit (front and rear ligths) - beautiful!
- Shimano disc brakes, so much more predictable and responsive than rim brakes in busy traffic
- Urban kit includes integrated fenders, rack and kickstand

Some additions:

- Jandd Saddle Bag Pannier. I don't think the Scott rack will fit standard panniers. However, this Jandd saddlebag fits perfectly. Room for rolled-up office clothes on one side, and a 14" laptop and lunch on the other
- Schwalbe Marathon Plus 700x35 tires. I ride through an industrial area, and was picking up punctures from scrap on the way to work. Not the best way to start the morning. And yes, IGHs do complicate tire repair. These Schwalbe's solved that problem.
- Shimano PD-T400 Click'R SPD Pedals. Wonderful/highly recommended: they hold my shoes firmly; yet I can click in and out without effort or forethought. No more of those embarassing spills at stoplights.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
bike 2.jpg (43.0 KB, 70 views)
Old 10-17-13, 02:52 AM
catonec 

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Steely Dan
Silly question. The ultimate bike is having a whole stable of bikes for various types of weather, terrain, missions, etc.
+1

but the bike I currently want to try and build next will be something like this.

Nothing too fancy.
cross style frame that can accept 28's or 32's. probably steel but ti works too.
downtube shifters 2 by 7, 8 ?
bullhorns
1 brake would do. maybe disk?
take a rear rack.

this would only be used on mup, slow speed, baby girl in tow or on carrier.

I currently have a plenty sufficient roadie and MTB.
Old 10-17-13, 04:05 AM
Bike Gremlin
Mostly harmless ™

Bikes: Heavy, with friction shifters

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1105 Post(s)
Liked 213 Times in 127 Posts
Perfect ONE bike would need to be as universal as possible (for me at least).

ALUMINIUM frame (no rusting in snow & salt, rain), no shock absorbers.

Disc brakes if hilly, otherwise good V-brakes do the job.

Aluminium strong wheels, 36 spokes, with normal hubs.

8 speed MTB groupset (derailleurs, chain, etc) with a TRIPLE crankset (biggest gear choice, while still being cheap, bombproof and reliable).

Room for 47 mm tyres, full fenders, racks.

Drop bars if possible, or drop bar convertible at least, with retroshift shifters.

I however have 3 bikes:

80s MTB - as a winter hack with studded tyres - rusty, ugly, reliable

Alu 29er without suspension, 42 mm tyres. Used 90% of the year.

Quick road bike/hybrid - alu frame, carbon fork, ddrop bars, but 28 mm tyres with rack eyelets on the frame. The only light and quick bike with no fenders or rack (for now, but will mount one ).
Old 10-17-13, 09:47 AM
AlmostGreenGuy
Intrepid Bicycle Commuter

Bikes: 1976 Motobecane Grand Jubile, Austro Daimler 'Ultima', 2012 Salsa Vaya, 2009 Trek 4300, Fyxation Eastside, State Matte Black 6, '97 Trek 930 SHX, '93 Specialized Rockhopper, 1990 Trek 950

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 34 Posts
I bought my ultimate bike when I bought my Salsa Vaya. It's great for commuting, with lots of braze-ons and a slightly relaxed geometry. Nimble like a road bike, although not as quick. Solid steel frame yet supple ride. I want to be buried with this bike. I can do short or long commutes, light touring thanks to the slightly elongated chainstays, centuries without a second thought, and even some offroad. I'm considering selling my other bikes since all they're doing is gathering dust. I've even toed trailers and trailer bikes without a problem. The stock triple is great for long rides with heavy loads and lots of hills.

As far as components go, I did changed from bar end shifters to Retroshifters. The Retroshifters are awesome. Wicked solid, simple and dependable. Naturally, I tossed on a Brooks B17 saddle. I would like to change out the Avid BB5 disc brakes for BB7's at some point, but I'm in no rush. The BB5's are perfectly adequate when adjusted properly. I would also like to change out the 40C Marathon Mondial tires for 35C. The 40C's are a bit heavy for long range rural road commuting.

Old 10-17-13, 12:25 PM
mstraus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by asmac
Gotta say I love my Vaya which is set up with Metropolis albatross-type bars, hydraulic brakes and 40 spoke Dyad rims with White Industries hubs. Drop bars won't do it for me, my back or my gut. I'd like the stainless steel Vaya with couplers but that's for another life.

Does anyone except serious racers ever actually ride in the drops? I rarely see anyone using them. The hoods look comfortable but, for commuting in traffic, I like to be right on the (hydraulic) brakes so it's some variant of flat bar for me.
I originally thought I wanted flat bars for my new commuting bike, but after riding on my road bike with drops I plan to stay with drops. I like the flexibility of hand positions it gives me more then the fact that is had drops.

I spend 90% of the time on the hoods, though I can move my hands back and fourth a bit if I feel fatigued. It is very comfortable. In busy areas I will keep a couple fingers on the brakes, the rest of the time I don't. I can also put my hands on top of the bars if I plan to go straight for a bit with now need to stop. I only use the drops on occasion, sometimes on my big descent in the afternoon and sometimes when facing a big headwind in the afternoon (fairly common in the summer where I am).

That said, my current bike is a road bike with a fairly aggressive geometry.

For my next bike, or my "ultimate" bike I plan to get something with a more upright Geometry but still with drops. Something like the Salsa Vaya or Specialized AWOL (the the seven's here look really nice, just out of my price range).

For my ultimate bike, its probably steel, or if price no issue maybe Titanium. Must have room for larger tires, fenders, be able to handle front and rear racks, etc. Good components are a given, but hard to choose what - have always had Shimano so would say Ultegra or Dura-Ace (again cost would like rule out Dura-Ace for me but if cost was no object). I have tried some bikes with the SRAM components and they seemed nice (liked the double tap idea) so maybe I would go for that. I would want a narrower slick with good flat resistance for daily use, and some bigger tires with some tread for dirt or gravel roads. Maybe two different wheel sets...one lighter weight and one heavier duty. I think i would go with disc brakes for versatility in year round conditions.
Old 10-17-13, 12:36 PM
mstraus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AlmostGreenGuy
I bought my ultimate bike when I bought my Salsa Vaya. It's great for commuting, with lots of braze-ons and a slightly relaxed geometry. Nimble like a road bike, although not as quick. Solid steel frame yet supple ride.
Nice looking bike!

I am curious - when you say not a quick as a road bike, now much so? How noticeable is this? i am looking to move from a road bike to something more like the Vaya but wondering how much the heavier less aggressive bike will really impact my speed and commute time. Also, what size tires do you run on yours? Seems like the bigger tires with increased rolling resistance could have a big impact on speed.
Old 10-17-13, 12:38 PM
mstraus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ridefreemc
What would your ultimate bike be? I ask this based on your experience and desires.

I have (and have had) some very nice bikes, but as usual am looking for the perfect bike. Right now my Salsa Vaya fits the bill quite closely with my Shimano Ultegra brifters and geariing, BB7 disc brakes, beautiful Mavic rims and Schwalbe Marathon Supreme tires. What I would contemplate changing are the sloping top tube, going to an internally geared hub (even though after well over 100,000 miles on Shimano I have NEVER had an issue), and maybe going back to rim brakes for weight savings (although I'm not looking for super light).

My idea is a bike that I can commute with, recreational ride with friends and family, and long and short distance tour with (my touring, whether long or short does not involve a lot of weight since I am somewhat of a minimalist).

Here is what I have been looking at lately (I have a picture of the same bike with an IGH, but cannot seem to place it in this post). The Expat SL. Not sure I can justify the cost or even come up with the much $$ even after selling off all my bikes , but it is what is on my mind:

https://www.sevencycles.com/bikes/expat-sl.php

So, titanium or steel (I don't want carbon for this one), S&S couplers, IGH or the old tried and true gears, chain or carbon belt, disc or rim, sloping or straight top tube, etc. etc. etc.? Is there a different brand that fits the same bill?
The Seven 4 season looks awesome.

Curious what is it about the sloping top tube on the Vaya that you don't like? does it impact anything? I would think the slop vs a more flat bar like a road bike is mostly visual, but I am no expert so curious to hear your reasoning.
Old 10-17-13, 12:58 PM
AlmostGreenGuy
Intrepid Bicycle Commuter

Bikes: 1976 Motobecane Grand Jubile, Austro Daimler 'Ultima', 2012 Salsa Vaya, 2009 Trek 4300, Fyxation Eastside, State Matte Black 6, '97 Trek 930 SHX, '93 Specialized Rockhopper, 1990 Trek 950

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 34 Posts
Originally Posted by mstraus
I am curious - when you say not a quick as a road bike, now much so? How noticeable is this? i am looking to move from a road bike to something more like the Vaya but wondering how much the heavier less aggressive bike will really impact my speed and commute time. Also, what size tires do you run on yours? Seems like the bigger tires with increased rolling resistance could have a big impact on speed.
It's just a heavier bike with a more upright geometry. Most of the speed loss seems to be in starts and stops at lights, trying to get up to full speed again, and on hills. The time actually lost on my long commute is almost irrelevant, in comparison to a light road bike.

I'm currently running the stock 700X40 Schwalbe Marathon Mondials that shipped with the bike. They're awesome tires. Great traction, and almost zero tread wear after 5,000 miles. Perfect for fire roads and MUPS and hauling heavy loads.. They even pump up to a reasonably high pressure. But like I said, they are heavy. I'd like to try out the 700X35 version of the Mondial.
Old 10-17-13, 01:10 PM
mconlonx

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 7148 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 92 Posts
No such thing as an ultimate bike. There is only the next one...
Old 10-17-13, 01:14 PM
ItsJustMe
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
The ultimate bike doesn't exist. It would be solid enough to hit potholes dead on all day long without damage, the tires would roll without friction but give a nice comfy ride on rough roads and would never need to be topped off. It would have a Rolhoff hub that somehow got 99%+ efficiency and weigh 5 ounces, and a belt drive that could go 50,000 miles without maintenance and was also as efficient as a chain. It would have fenders for the rain but they would be invisible so it looked nice. It would have disc brakes for foul weather yet weigh no more than rim brakes. It would be able to tow a trailer or mount full waterproof panniers front and back for grocery getting and touring. It would have a ton of reflective stuff and 1000 lumen full cutoff beam multi-level dynamo lights but still look nice.

And it should weigh no more than 20 pounds at most.
Old 10-17-13, 01:27 PM
spare_wheel

Bikes: NA

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
BB7 disc brakes
Avid BB7s are bottom of the barrel disc brakes. Now that road hydro options are readily available I have no idea why someone would consider them part of an "ultimate" build.
Old 10-17-13, 01:29 PM
Ridefreemc

Bikes: 2017 Kona TI, 2016 Bike Friday Haul-A-Day, 2015 Bike Friday New World Tourist (for sale), 2011 Mezzo D9, 2004 Marin Mount Vision Pro - for now :)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by mstraus
The Seven 4 season looks awesome.

Curious what is it about the sloping top tube on the Vaya that you don't like? does it impact anything? I would think the slop vs a more flat bar like a road bike is mostly visual, but I am no expert so curious to hear your reasoning.
Just visual. That changes with mood. Sometimes I'm okay with it and other times I don't like it. Just like frame color. I love the brick red of the new Vaya and tried to get one, but they are not available as just a frame. I would have sold my perfect condition (orange) frame to get it. Silly, I know.

Sloping top tube is actually more practical because you can have a higher headset/higher bars/stiffer area and still have better standover height.
Old 10-17-13, 04:41 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6147 Post(s)
Liked 4,093 Times in 2,325 Posts
Originally Posted by spare_wheel
Avid BB7s are bottom of the barrel disc brakes. Now that road hydro options are readily available I have no idea why someone would consider them part of an "ultimate" build.
That's overstating it a bit. BB7s are middle of the range disc brakes and about the best mechanicals I've seen. BB5 and a whole lot of stuff from Tektro as well as lots of NoName disc brakes that you find on low end bikes are bottom of the barrel. BB7s are also better than a lot of hydraulics from a number of manufacturers.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 10-17-13, 10:35 PM
spare_wheel

Bikes: NA

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
BB7s are also better than a lot of hydraulics from a number of manufacturers.
the only reason bb7s have a following is because at one time they were the only functional disc brake with brifter compatibility. while i am sure crappy no-name hydraulics exist, imo, even bottom end shimano, avid, or hayes hydraulics are simply on another level. heck, the new shimano slx is far better than my old 765s.
Old 10-18-13, 05:37 AM
vijinho

Bikes: 2016 Kinesis Tripster ATR V1 grave/touring, 2014 Charge Plug 4 touring modded, 2014 BeOne Road Bike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The Charge Plug 5 2014 is a great all-round bike, steel for longevity, disc brakes and with an SRAM groupset. https://www.chargebikes.com/bicycle-collection/plug-5
Old 10-18-13, 01:23 PM
mconlonx

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 7148 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
That's overstating it a bit. BB7s are middle of the range disc brakes and about the best mechanicals I've seen. BB5 and a whole lot of stuff from Tektro as well as lots of NoName disc brakes that you find on low end bikes are bottom of the barrel. BB7s are also better than a lot of hydraulics from a number of manufacturers.
This is true of BB7 mtn brakes, but BB7R (road) do suck. That said, there's not a lot of low-cost road hydraulics out in the world quite yet. But since we're talking ultimate...

...I'd still wait for at least the second gen of road hydraulics before committing to them on an "ultimate" build.
Old 10-18-13, 02:54 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6147 Post(s)
Liked 4,093 Times in 2,325 Posts
Originally Posted by mconlonx
This is true of BB7 mtn brakes, but BB7R (road) do suck. That said, there's not a lot of low-cost road hydraulics out in the world quite yet. But since we're talking ultimate...

...I'd still wait for at least the second gen of road hydraulics before committing to them on an "ultimate" build.
spare_wheel didn't stipulate road or mountain. He just painted with a broad brush. I've no experience with road discs (and am not likely to have any in the future), however, I suspect that the problem may have more to do with set up than with the mechanism based on my previous experiences with BB7 mountain bike brakes.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 10-18-13, 04:33 PM
dynaryder
DancesWithSUVs

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I've had BB7 roads on 5 drop bar bikes. Never had any issues. I did have to properly set up three of them after purchase,but once I was done with them they worked perfectly. And yes,I've also owned several bikes with MTN BB7's to compare to.

C'dale BBU('05 and '09)/Super Six/Hooligan8and 3,Kona Dew Deluxe,Novara Buzz/Safari,Surly Big Dummy,Marin Pt Reyes,Giant Defy 1,Schwinn DBX SuperSport,Dahon Speed Pro TT,Brompton S6L/S2E-X
Old 10-19-13, 03:28 AM
EdZilla

Bikes: '15 Novara Gotham,'10 Specialized Roubaix, Stump FSR 29, 9zero7 Fat bike,'13 Raleigh Cadent i11 (stolen 3/2015)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No, you don't need a rack, necessarily: if there's no need to carry anything, or if you don't mind carrying everything in a backpack/bag I guess.

When I think commuting, I think utilitarian. For commuting, my bike is my beast of burdon and the rack is where I put all my ****. Makes more sense to me than putting it on my back. My commute can be pretty long and the weather here is pretty crazy, so I also tend to keep extra clothes, and lights and stuff like that on the bike so it's always there and so i don't have to think to bring it.

Anyway, the ultimate (commuter) bike, for me needs a rack.
Old 10-19-13, 04:16 AM
Ridefreemc

Bikes: 2017 Kona TI, 2016 Bike Friday Haul-A-Day, 2015 Bike Friday New World Tourist (for sale), 2011 Mezzo D9, 2004 Marin Mount Vision Pro - for now :)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by balrog687
This is my old-school dream setup for touring-commuting

Reynolds 953 Frame and Fork
Phil Wood touring cassette hub 36 holes
Mavic A719 rims 36 holes
Wheelsmith butted spokes
Brooks B17 Saddle
Schwalbe marathon mondial 700×42 folding tire
Tubus Cosmo rear rack / Ortlieb office bag
Sugino Alpina 2 crank (48/36/24)
Paul touring canti brakes and brake levers
Chris king sealed steel-headset
Velo Orange touring pedals (sealed)
Shimano Ultegra bar-end shifters
Shimano Ultegra frond and rear derraileur
Shimano ultegra 11-28 cassette
KMC 10 speed chain
Nitto randonneur handlebar, stem and seatpost
SKS Fenders

The high-tech version includes rolhoff speedhub, son 28 dynamo, belt drive, and magura hidraulic rim-brakes.
"Old-school" for the frame material? It looks like a great set up. Is there one assembled out there that you have a picture of? I like what you have put together.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.