Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

I Threw Away My Bike For A Brompton And Loved It! So Why Am I Ditching That Bike Now?

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

I Threw Away My Bike For A Brompton And Loved It! So Why Am I Ditching That Bike Now?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-18, 07:01 PM
dahoneezz

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
https://www.brompton.com/the-bike/superlight

What makes it Superlight?

On a Superlight, we replace the standard components for lighter options for the following parts:
Titanium Front Fork
Titanium Rear Frame
Lightweight Wheel Set <------**
Titanium Mudguard Stays
Lightweight Headset
** This is where I got my idea that it is a single wall rim. Perhaps I am wrong in assuming that. By that I mean the Superlight designation is only for the 2-speed and not for the 6-speed titanium. The 2-speed Superlight also uses double wall rims.
Old 08-30-18, 07:47 PM
berlinonaut

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by dahoneezz

"lightweight wheel set"
** This is where I got my idea that it is a single wall rim. Perhaps I am wrong in assuming that. By that I mean the Superlight designation is only for the 2-speed and not for the 6-speed titanium. The 2-speed Superlight also uses double wall rims.
The "lightweight wheel set" means two things: DD-spokes on both wheels (on the two speed) and a lighter (and higher quality) hub on the front wheel:
Standard front wheel vs. xtra light front wheel (the pic shows the old version of the x-light wheel, using the old pre-2013 rim).
Old 08-30-18, 07:52 PM
Nightdiver
On yer bike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by jonmanjiro
Just occurred to me that Tern's logo is ... <drumroll>.... a tsuru!. One that folds, obviously.
Best of luck for the move to HK!!
What does "tsuru" mean? When I googled it, it seemed to mean "crane". Does it have some other meaning?
Old 08-30-18, 08:13 PM
Nightdiver
On yer bike

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Yes, it means "crane". The following quote found here: https://www.jccc.on.ca/origami-crane...gami_crane.pdf

In Japan, the crane is a mystical creature and is believed to live for a thousand years. As a result, in the Japanese, Chinese and Korean cultures, the crane represents good fortune and longevity. The Japanese refer to the crane as the "bird of happiness”.

Righty-o. Was a bit confused because tern ≠ crane. Thought I was missing some alternative use of the word in Japanese. Bird of happiness certainly has a nice ring to it.
Old 08-30-18, 08:43 PM
dahoneezz

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Thank you berlinonaut for the clarification. Thank you Tsuru for the CSS rim info.
Old 08-30-18, 09:23 PM
Abu Mahendra

Bikes: In service - FSIR Spin 3.0, Bannard Sunny minivelo, Dahon Dash Altena folder. Several others in construction or temporarily decommissioned.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 897 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 17 Posts

In Japan, the crane is a mystical creature and is believed to live for a thousand years. As a result, in the Japanese, Chinese and Korean cultures, the crane represents good fortune and longevity. The Japanese refer to the crane as the "bird of happiness”.
I am going to nit-pick here, and say that you have it backwards. The cultural flow was from China to Korea and Japan. That is, the symbolism of the crane is originally from Chinese mythology from which it flowed to Korea and Japan.
Old 08-31-18, 02:31 AM
avole
Banned.

Bikes: Brompton, Time, Bianchi, Jan Janssen, Peugeot

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Has anyone read the manual that comes with the Brompton? It states exactly what the bike is designed for, and what it isn't. From that, you could certainly argue that Tsuru was correct in thinking he was using the bike outside the design specs.
Old 08-31-18, 02:50 AM
Abu Mahendra

Bikes: In service - FSIR Spin 3.0, Bannard Sunny minivelo, Dahon Dash Altena folder. Several others in construction or temporarily decommissioned.

Originally Posted by avole
Has anyone read the manual that comes with the Brompton? It states exactly what the bike is designed for, and what it isn't. From that, you could certainly argue that Tsuru was correct in thinking he was using the bike outside the design specs.
Well, one need not buy the bike or read the manual. One could have just looked at it - 349 wheels, rim brakes, no non-proprietary, wide gear range dereilleur drivetrain. It's amazing what you can see when you actually look at something. As I said before, if a disk-brake, wide gear-range standard dereilleur drivetrain 451er is what he needs, it begs the question of why he bought a Brompton in the first place.

Last edited by Abu Mahendra; 08-31-18 at 02:53 AM.
Old 08-31-18, 04:14 AM
Tsuru
Bromptoneer

Bikes: Brompton S2L

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Abu Mahendra
The basic issue regarding rims is not framed correctly. The amount of energy generated in braking is a function of momentum, mass x velocity. For a given mass and velocity, the energy to be dissipated in braking is the same regardless of the wheel size. In smaller wheels, however, the energy dissipated and the mevhanical abrasion is spread out over a smaller surface. That's the rub.

The author does himself no favors when he declares plainly that small wheels generate twice as much heat. That was a point in reading the article that immediately gave me pause. That point is conceptually flawed. He didn't want to do the math; now we know why. Again, the energy to be dissipated in braking is dependant on the mass and velocity. Once we understand this, a question that naturally emerges, germane to the issue of rim durability, is - how much does the rider weigh? Tsuru, how much do you weigh?

* Mass/weight is fundamental to the earlier issue of tire pressure, and now to rim durability. Tourers understand this better than most because touring involves loading the bike, and this has implications for the choice of wheel and for braking. For example, a touring rim is not a touring rim because of its load capacity only, but also because of its beefier sidewalls. Hopefully Tsuru, unlike another, will be forthcoming with his weight so we can ground the discussion on quantitative indicators, rather than spurious suppositions, subjective perceptions and beliefs.
Too early in the morning to read through the big words. lol. The way I saw it, all things being equal (my weight being about 180-190lbs, my speed & riding style being what it is, caliper brakes, my environmental conditions), if all that stayed the same on all my bikes (Brompton, road, cyclocross), but the only difference was the wheel size and make, then the issue was really the heat & wear I was causing on the rim. All the other variables cancel each other out. Hope that helps!
Old 08-31-18, 04:17 AM
Tsuru
Bromptoneer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, one need not buy the bike or read the manual. One could have just looked at it - 349 wheels, rim brakes, no non-proprietary, wide gear range dereilleur drivetrain. It's amazing what you can see when you actually look at something. As I said before, if a disk-brake, wide gear-range standard dereilleur drivetrain 451er is what he needs, it begs the question of why he bought a Brompton in the first place.
No questions begged. I wrote a whole review on that 2 years ago. https://medium.com/@aarontsuru/throw...e-ebb17d1b2a20 - I clearly didn't think long term about wear and tear. Brompton themselves promote their bike races and the bike brand is famous for its quality, so after decades of happy Brompton owners, I made an assumption. And you know what they say about assuming.
Old 08-31-18, 04:17 AM
Abu Mahendra

Originally Posted by Tsuru
Too early in the morning to read through the big words. lol. The way I saw it, all things being equal (my weight being about 180-190lbs, my speed & riding style being what it is, caliper brakes, my environmental conditions), if all that stayed the same on all my bikes (Brompton, road, cyclocross), but the only difference was the wheel size and make, then the issue was really the heat & wear I was causing on the rim. All the other variables cancel each other out. Hope that helps!
Awesome, thanks.
Old 08-31-18, 04:22 AM
Tsuru
Bromptoneer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Nightdiver
What does "tsuru" mean? When I googled it, it seemed to mean "crane". Does it have some other meaning?
We adopted "tsuru" as our nom de plumes about 10-12 years ago for all our online art, writings, etc. I wrote about it on my about page. Here's the part about "tsuru"

BIO
About Aaron Tsuru of @tsurufoto - aaron tsuru: normalizing reality through art

While you are here, I’d like to talk about this whole Tsuru-thing Megs & I have got going on… specifically, I’d like to answer the question we get asked all the time…. “what’s a ‘Tsuru’ anyway”? This is usually followed by “and how the hell do you pronounce it”? Well after many years of this, it’s about time we put this to rest, shall we? Hopefully, we shall…

Tsuru is Japanese for Crane. It’s basically pronounced like “sue” as in “I’m getting sued by the RIAA”, quickly followed by a “roo” as in “kangaroo”, the “T” is relatively silent. Or, as I like to say, it’s pronounced “sü to the rü… yo.”

So, why use a Japanese Crane as our namesake for all our artistic endeavours? Great question…. The crane has been an ever-present “theme” in my partner & I’s relationship, beginning with the story of the Crane Wife (an ancient Japanese morality tale of love, trust, loyalty, respect, and appreciating what you have or it will be gone… forever) that was captured ever so perfectly by The Decemberists in their 2006 LP by the same name, continuing when I proposed at a little indoor picnic before we headed out to a magical Decemberists concert (where we got commemorative t-shirts) and stays present in all our projects today (including my half-sleeve on my left arm).

Cranes are loyal, mating for life, they are represented in Greek, Roman, and Asian cultures as a bird of joy, of light, and youthful happiness, as well as symbolizing harmony & peace. One look at any of the family of sites, and you’ll see we strive to never take life too seriously, preferring personal happiness over popularity or wealth. And yeah, we intend to “mate for life”.

When my old music blog tsururadio first went online on January of 2007, I wanted something that represented my love of music and the love of my life, and when it finally popped in our collective heads, it was just too perfect. Since then, my incredibly talented partner, who I always referred to on message boards and on my site as “TsuruBride” started taking her amazing work online to show her friends and fans what’s going on, it only made sense to keep the TsuruBride moniker that she’d become known as to our friends & fans.
Old 08-31-18, 04:26 AM
Tsuru
Bromptoneer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Awesome, thanks.
Ah! another early bird! My kind of rider. Have a great day Abu! If any other questions come up, I'm happy to answer.
Old 08-31-18, 04:30 AM
Abu Mahendra

Ah! another early bird! My kind of rider. Have a great day Abu! If any other questions come up, I'm happy to answer.
it's night time here, bro. I am at GMT+8....have a wonderful day in my old hometown!
Old 08-31-18, 04:35 AM
Tsuru
Bromptoneer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
it's night time here, bro. I am at GMT+8....have a wonderful day in my old hometown!
Ah! Bali. Nice! We are moving to Hong Kong in October. Going to miss city riding. Have a great evening!
Old 08-31-18, 04:41 AM
Abu Mahendra

Ah! Bali. Nice! We are moving to Hong Kong in October. Going to miss city riding. Have a great evening!
Have you been? HK is city galore. Even more dense than NYC...
Old 08-31-18, 04:50 AM
Tsuru
Bromptoneer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Have you been? HK is city galore. Even more dense than NYC...
Yeah, for work a bunch, HK, Shanghai, etc. (I'm in fashion). Yeah, there's no commute bike riding in HK, but there is some riding in some of the mountains, so we'll see how it goes. Could just end up spending the next 3 years hiking & running, take a break from bikes. We'll see! Can always pick it back up when we return in 2021. =)
Old 08-31-18, 09:07 AM
avole
Banned.

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
It's amazing what you can find out when you read the manual too, and that might, in this case, have prevented a mistake. You have this anti-Brompton thing, you mustn't let it get in the way of your judgement, which it, unfortunately, usually does.

Never go to London, Brompton commuters hunt in packs
Old 08-31-18, 11:10 AM
Joe Remi

Bikes: Haibike Sduro Trekking SL, Rivendell Appaloosa, Concinnity singlespeed, KHS mini velo (Japan market), Trident Spike trike

Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 74 Posts
It's amazing what you can find out when you read the manual too, and that might, in this case, have prevented a mistake. You have this anti-Brompton thing, you mustn't let it get in the way of your judgement, which it, unfortunately, usually does.

Never go to London, Brompton commuters hunt in packs
I don't see this as a mistake, nor do I think he knew discs, a derailleur and 451 wheels were the ticket. He bought the Brompton, rode the crap out of it and bought something else. The OP learned some lessons along the way and got a story out of it. I don't see any negatives here.
Old 08-31-18, 11:44 AM
kidshibuya

Bikes: Tyrell CSI, Dahon Mu LT11, Doppelganger Aurora 219

Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
That is one take, but you also have companies putting in the manual that you cant do the the only thing the product was designed for, like off the top of my head a store in Australia was selling outdoor chairs (with outdoor right in the name) that in the manual states they are not be to exposed to elements. Its very easy to dismiss things like manuals as marketing/legal rubbish. To this day I haven't read either manual for the two new bikes i have bought. Wait actually that is a lie, I recently looked at the Dahon manual to try to sort out creaks but it wasn't helpful in the slightest.

To me a few years ago I would not have known anything about how the bike might handle different types of riding by knowing any of what you said. How many of the people here know how many logical vs physical cores their laptop/PC has? Should you buy one with more of each or fewer but faster ones? Slower quad memory or faster dual? How many PCIe lanes will you need? etc

Nobody can know everything and I bet that I could give almost everyone reading this a spec sheet for a PC and nobody could tell me its strengths and weaknesses vs another similar speed but different architecture one.
Old 08-31-18, 02:59 PM
avole
Banned.

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
kidshibuya, did you look at the Brompton manual? I found what it says interesting, especially the bits about the longevity of some parts. I also didn't know I was meant to have a 100 mile service which checked, amongst other things, spoke tension. Since mine has travelled well over that distance, I guess that wasn't a problem...
Old 08-31-18, 04:54 PM
Abu Mahendra

.... You have this anti-Brompton thing, you mustn't let it get in the way of your judgement, which it, unfortunately, usually does.

you keep saying that, but time and time again fail to point out where exactly i err. You are wont to speak in generalities and subjectivities. For example, we are still waiting for you to tell us your weight so we can groud the discussion of tire pressure on measurable inputs, or you do not acknowledge fundamental fluid dynamics (or you are embarrassed about your weightl. That you are reluctant to do this suggest you are unwilling to ground the discussion on more objective grounds. So, go tell it to someone else, Avole, cuz I've got your number.
Old 08-31-18, 05:02 PM
Abu Mahendra

I would have known. In fact, i do. And if i can figure it out, certainly others can too. The only difference, perhaps, is that i have never been enthralled by the Brompton hype. Look, people's tastes, wants and needs evolve over time; i get that. That's one possible explanation. Another explanation, equally plausible, is that it was a hasty purchasing decision driven by the juggernaut that is the Brompton hype and cult. The question for you is this - why are you so quick and willing to accept one explanation, and so quick and willing to discard the other?

And the analogy wth microprocessors is wholly specious, kid.

Originally Posted by kidshibuya

To me a few years ago I would not have known anything about how the bike might handle different types of riding by knowing any of what you said. How many of the people here know how many logical vs physical cores their laptop/PC has? Should you buy one with more of each or fewer but faster ones? Slower quad memory or faster dual? How many PCIe lanes will you need? etc

Nobody can know everything and I bet that I could give almost everyone reading this a spec sheet for a PC and nobody could tell me its strengths and weaknesses vs another similar speed but different architecture one.

Last edited by Abu Mahendra; 08-31-18 at 05:50 PM.
Old 08-31-18, 06:19 PM
Joe Remi

Bikes: Haibike Sduro Trekking SL, Rivendell Appaloosa, Concinnity singlespeed, KHS mini velo (Japan market), Trident Spike trike

Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 74 Posts
Objection, argumentative. And nobody needs weird references to a person's weight here.
Old 09-01-18, 12:39 AM
kidshibuya

Bikes: Tyrell CSI, Dahon Mu LT11, Doppelganger Aurora 219

Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I would have known. In fact, i do. And if i can figure it out, certainly others can too. The only difference, perhaps, is that i have never been enthralled by the Brompton hype. Look, people's tastes, wants and needs evolve over time; i get that. That's one possible explanation. Another explanation, equally plausible, is that it was a hasty purchasing decision driven by the juggernaut that is the Brompton hype and cult. The question for you is this - why are you so quick and willing to accept one explanation, and so quick and willing to discard the other?

And the analogy wth microprocessors is wholly specious, kid.

Well lets look at what was said; 349 wheels, rim brakes, no non-proprietary, wide gear range dereilleur drivetrain.

So 349 wheels cant be used much for some reason? Cars with small wheels arent slower than cars with large wheels (actually often large rims ruin car handling) so why should I assume any different in bikes?

And I run rim brakes, all the professional bikes as of a few years ago where all rim brakes, so if they were high performance then how am I meant to know that they actually arent for high performance, though they actually are? And also even if I think about wear on the rims well how are discs any different? Ill think well either the rims or the discs wear, so they are both the same. Same for a wide gear range or non standard parts. First of all if I know nothing about bikes how do I know what is standard or not? You need to know before you know. And for that matter why is non standard not suitable for high performance riding? Many high spec road bikes have non standard seatposts and stems to fit their custom aero profiles, guessing they just arent suitable to be ridden hard? And logically you'd think a wider gear range is better, again as per race bikes, but new riders should know its actually junk?

I think your argument boils down to saying that you arent allowed to buy a bike without studying first to become an expert. This is blaming the customer for the failings of manufactures and I really cant agree with that. I should not be able to damage something just by using it. I dont find it acceptable for a bike to fail, but that is OK because I somehow "rode it wrong".

And how is the computer analogy any different at all? Granted computer parts wont "wear out" but you can still easily buy the wrong one for your uses. And I could laugh and say well, you should have known all about what you were buying. But that is crap, because they manufactures arent selling them with warnings about their specific use cases, they are all just selling as many of them as they can, so there is no user blame here. Brompton are the same, I cant find anywhere they say that their bikes arent meant for serious riders. And let not be naive, the Brompton WC is a marketing campaign to get their bikes seen as sports bikes also. So if Brompton is putting out the message that their bikes are ok to race on why blame a consumer who buy one and rides it hard?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.