Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Is amateur racing legit?

Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Is amateur racing legit?

Old 07-24-19, 02:44 PM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 249 Posts
Originally Posted by robertorolfo
See above. It's not always about the money. Not even close. Do you seriously doubt there are guys that would dope just so that their Instagram profile picture can be a shot of them crossing the line first with their hands in the air?
The point is that I don't care if there are a few guys who might do that. But there's a difference between "someone somewhere probably does this" and "doping is rampant". In most of my races, I know half or more of the field, at least from reputation and/or previous races. None of us are racing to pay the rent, launch a career, or even to break even on what we have invested in gear, training, and nutrition. Further, if there are 75 of us at the start line, we already know 72 of us are going home somewhere short of the podium. But we keep doing it because we love the competition, we love the camaraderie, and we love the challenge. We're all pushing to our limits, and finishing every race high as a kite on adrenaline and endorphins. THAT'S what makes amateur racing legit. The mere possibility that someone could cheat doesn't detract from any of that.

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Old 07-24-19, 03:43 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
Originally Posted by bbbean
The point is that I don't care if there are a few guys who might do that. But there's a difference between "someone somewhere probably does this" and "doping is rampant". In most of my races, I know half or more of the field, at least from reputation and/or previous races. None of us are racing to pay the rent, launch a career, or even to break even on what we have invested in gear, training, and nutrition. Further, if there are 75 of us at the start line, we already know 72 of us are going home somewhere short of the podium. But we keep doing it because we love the competition, we love the camaraderie, and we love the challenge. We're all pushing to our limits, and finishing every race high as a kite on adrenaline and endorphins. THAT'S what makes amateur racing legit. The mere possibility that someone could cheat doesn't detract from any of that.
For you.

Others have a different take. Plenty of amateurs had their potential cut down because others doped. I've lost races and series to dopers, formers dopers, probable dopers. I still like to race, but to pretend that it doesn't bother me on some level would be bull****.

And just because you know someone doesn't mean they're not doping. People are shocked to find out their relative has been having an affair. The guys who raced with David Anthony had no clue he was doping. It was a shocking revelation.

For sure it's not the biggest deal in the world because ultimately it's a hobby few care about. To pretend the situation is 'someone probably does this' is head in the sand stuff.
Likes For gsteinb:
Old 07-25-19, 09:43 AM
Radish_legs

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by furiousferret
Worlds is a big deal around here, and I'm sure other regions are the same.

This year we have 2 guys that broke the KOM's at Worlds; one is a relative no name (former runner) and another is a former Cat 2 that came back. Both get free coaching, free bikes, one got a job at the LBS, and a bunch of other incentives. In the same token, someone could win an industrial crit and no one would care.

First two years I rode here I was awful at World's, and there were people that wouldn't talk to me (or anyone else slow). Once I started dropping them did they actually accept me into the social group; it was almost like one of those teenage movies where the nerd becomes cool, and even then you have the guys that only talk to 'pros' (which are usually former DPros). Cycling has an caste system, and I can see guys doping just to move up it.
I've won the arguably most prestigious group race/ride on the north side of the Dallas area 3 times. It's by far the most prestigious accomplishment I have, better than all my C and B crit wins. I have never doped. But my point is that group rides can matter a lot in the cycling caste system.
Old 07-25-19, 10:35 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by Radish_legs
... But my point is that group rides can matter a lot in the cycling caste system.
None more than Rogers Cup. This ranks better than 90% of the race wins.
You get to do whatever, the only rule is no motors, start at the prayer and stop at the lights.

And a cool cup going back to 1976.
https://binged.it/2SFUBPq

Juniors even get to use the same equipment as adults.
https://binged.it/2SGP3nT
https://binged.it/2SGP3nT

And my fav - we got dopers (sanctioned ones), WT pro, 4-5 NCs and some future ones.
https://binged.it/2SFUBPq
Old 07-26-19, 01:24 PM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 249 Posts
Originally Posted by gsteinb
To pretend the situation is 'someone probably does this' is head in the sand stuff.
To pretend the situation is "everybody does this" in the absence of evidence is cynical/paranoid stuff. Do some intervals. When you come in first, it doesn't really matter what the other guys did.

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Old 07-26-19, 02:18 PM
zigmeister

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
The reality is now unless you are going to race nationals, you can get an RTUE...you have to prove to them the issue is not idiopathic, but if you do, someone could race amateur in the US, and I'm sure there are plenty that do, and take Test injections under this.

So, I doubt anybody taking this stuff with a legit approved RTUE is taking anything away from high-level naturally gifted cyclist and not allowing them to move up in the ranks.

You can take all the crap you want, the creme de la creme is going to smash you at the races and move right past everybody up the ladder and ride off the front all day long. I see these younger riders do this periodically that end up racing at the national level and move into development teams.
Old 07-26-19, 02:29 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
I should do some intervals, huh? Neat. Good advice.
Old 08-22-19, 01:51 PM
drobotnik

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I think I understand what you’re getting at.

So, the best way to explain it is like this: some races are janky, bare-bones, barely held together by entry fees; other races have multiple sponsors, attract racers from all over a region or the country or from other countries, and have structure to them. Like, officials from some sanctioning body keeping up with lap times and making sure the timing is legit.

Both can be USAC sanctioned, but one may not count toward anything legit (like a local mountain bike race at your favorite park), while another could be state championships or a regional series (I’m from Tennessee, so TBRA or SERC). As far as cheating goes (doping?), I’d say at a local event you’d be the odd person out if you were doping. From my experience (mountain bike racing), you might find people on narcotics or prescriptions or their special blend of cycling juice (I’ve met guys who were oddly specific about powder quantities and temperatures), but no one on a specific doping regimen as part of their training.

Bikes get inspected at all races. I got called out for not having bar plugs once, they let me cover the ends with tape - and that was a C-group mountain bike race. It’s for safety, not cheating. Also, the guys running some races have gotten my name wrong and I could not get them to change it. Lost several results that way. I just learned to write neatly.

I think when money and sponsorships start being the driving force behind events and teams there’s more of an expectation that no one gets swindled into a controversy.