Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Does unloaded wheel spin matter?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 10-12-19, 03:54 PM
Jixr
Banned.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have a DT swiss R32 spline wheelset, and its the nicest wheelset I have.

Though when you flip my bike upside down, and spin the wheels by hand, they don't spin anywhere near as long as two of my other bikes that have generic formula and novatech hubs.

I'm trying to figure out if that wheelspin time reflects loaded bike performance, or if possibly its just time to replace my cartridge bearings in the dt swiss wheels.
Old 10-12-19, 04:24 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3580 Post(s)
Liked 3,393 Times in 1,927 Posts
Unloaded, it's pretty much meaningless. Unless you can tell that the bearing are worn out (roughness or binding when turning the axle), replacing the cartridges is unlikely to improve unloaded spin and may actually worsen it, as seal drag is a major reason why cartridge bearings don't spin unloaded as long as loose balls. Seal drag lessens over time as the seals wear in.
Old 10-12-19, 05:36 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
Unloaded, it's pretty much meaningless. Unless you can tell that the bearing are worn out (roughness or binding when turning the axle), replacing the cartridges is unlikely to improve unloaded spin and may actually worsen it, as seal drag is a major reason why cartridge bearings don't spin unloaded as long as loose balls. Seal drag lessens over time as the seals wear in.
And compared to aerodynamic and tire losses, seal drag is in the "mice nuts" category, down in the noise.
Old 10-12-19, 05:47 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by Jixr

Though when you flip my bike upside down, and spin the wheels by hand, they don't spin anywhere near as long as two of my other bikes that have generic formula and novatech hubs.

I'm trying to figure out if that wheelspin time reflects loaded bike performance, or if possibly its just time to replace my cartridge bearings in the dt swiss wheels.
Easy reason as to why. Those cheapo cartridge bearing hubs are known to have short lived bearings--they skimp on the seals to lower spin resistance. Result being, yes, they spin longer unloaded--but they also don't keep the water from the weather out.
Old 10-12-19, 06:33 PM
Jixr
Banned.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
the bearings don't feel gritty or crunchy, not quiet, but not noisy. The wheels have probably close to 2500 miles on them, and 2 seasons of cyclocross and some gravel riding.

I've even removed the outer seals from the bearings, and that didn't show much of an improvement.
Old 10-12-19, 06:42 PM
jlaw

Bikes: 2015 Spec. AWOL Elite,2022 Spec. Diverge, 1984 Trek 620 1985 Trek 620, 1979 Trek 710

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 110 Posts

Perfect excuse for an experiment.

1) Take the bike to the top of a moderate hill, get on, and coast down to the stopping point - then mark the road.

2) Install second set of wheels and repeat using the same body position.

3) Tell us what happened.

I've always wondered why my friend coasts faster/further on his bike as I do mine. It could be his extra 30# on me, the hubs, the tires, a combination of all, etc.

'Science' is fun!
Old 10-12-19, 07:13 PM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 759 Times in 568 Posts
I've even removed the outer seals from the bearings, and that didn't show much of an improvement.
This was going to be my suggestion.

Just as a point of personal curiosity and experimentation, I like trying to maximize the "free spin time" when I set bearings up. I try to set the preload as loose as possible...basically, right at the point where physical play is gone. I know this doesn't result in any real world gains on the road, but it's fascinating to me how a few degrees of a turn on a cone nut can change bearing operation so dramatically. It is, of course, very logical, but it's no less interesting to me.

So I feel you -- that "free spin time" is something that makes me smile, too.

I recently bought a set of wheels with Novatec hubs, and one of the bearings went bad pretty quickly. I replaced it and, obviously, couldn't adjust anything. It either worked or it didn't (it took me a few tries to get it seated perfectly). I thought to myself, "huh...this is no fun...I can't adjust anything!"
Old 10-12-19, 11:08 PM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
I hate to ask this, but do you ride the bike upside down? If not, don't worry about it.
Old 10-12-19, 11:27 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts

The worst part about free-spin “tests” is that people are seduced into buying products with worthless bearing seals in the hopes that it will make their bike easier to ride. Not in any noticeable sense, but their bearings will go bad that much faster.
Old 10-13-19, 05:11 AM
zebede
Hello

Bikes: n+1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 25 Posts
It matters to me, I had these superbe pro wheels with bearings as smooth as butter and no play, they would just spin and spin and spin.....I loved it. Ahem, back to reality, In response to your question I have no idea, and it would be hard to argue with the science stated above, but the perception of nice spinning high quality wheels makes me feel better.
Likes For zebede:
Old 10-13-19, 09:54 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6192 Post(s)
Liked 4,192 Times in 2,352 Posts
Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
Easy reason as to why. Those cheapo cartridge bearing hubs are known to have short lived bearings--they skimp on the seals to lower spin resistance. Result being, yes, they spin longer unloaded--but they also don't keep the water from the weather out.
You might have a point if the DT Swiss hubs were a “cheapo cartridge bearing hub”. None of the hubs that DT Swiss sell can be classified as “cheap”. In my experience, cartridge bearings of just about any kind last far longer with less maintenance than any other hub I’ve used. They even spin far better.

Do they spin well when off the bike? If so, then it’s something other than bearings. If it is the bearings, look at the owners manual to see if there is any kind of adjustment that can be made.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 10-13-19, 12:32 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
You might have a point if the DT Swiss hubs were a “cheapo cartridge bearing hub”. None of the hubs that DT Swiss sell can be classified as “cheap”. In my experience, cartridge bearings of just about any kind last far longer with less maintenance than any other hub I’ve used. They even spin far better.
Cheapo in my post was referring to Novatec etc, not DT. Novatecs are known for underwhelming bearing life. They just are not sealed well.