Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

No Quick Release Wheel in Salsa Vaya

Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

No Quick Release Wheel in Salsa Vaya

Old 10-19-19, 02:43 PM
wsteve464

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 62 Posts
Not sure what kind of through axle forks dabac has but all the ones I have have a lip/U slot on the inside that fits the wheel hub that allows for very little movement. When I first got back to riding I bought a FS mtb and rode 4-5 times a week and I did not have a rack, had to take the front wheel off before and after the ride to get it in the back of my truck. Never once had a problem with misalignment of the rotor when putting the wheel back on. Cheap chinese carbon forks have the lip, Salsa carbon fork has the lip as does the steel through axle forks I have no problem with rotor misalignment.
Likes For wsteve464:
Old 10-20-19, 11:49 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,664 Times in 2,497 Posts
Originally Posted by Spoonrobot
QR and disc brakes are fine with the right dropout orientation. TA is in the same safety hedge that tapered steerers and full-carbon forks are currently a part of.
my current disc gravel bike doesn't have forward facing QR dropouts. It does have a lip. So far, no problems even with rough usage. I think the forward facing dropouts are wise when there is no lip. My next gravel bike will have QR rear and TA front. Maybe that's not the best choice, but it will save me money in the short term. Probably be fine long-term.

I have been a little surprised that manufacturers of lower end bikes don't always use a simple TA system, at least on the front. People just can't handle quick releases.
Old 10-20-19, 02:59 PM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
my current disc gravel bike doesn't have forward facing QR dropouts. It does have a lip. So far, no problems even with rough usage. I think the forward facing dropouts are wise when there is no lip. My next gravel bike will have QR rear and TA front. Maybe that's not the best choice, but it will save me money in the short term. Probably be fine long-term.

I have been a little surprised that manufacturers of lower end bikes don't always use a simple TA system, at least on the front. People just can't handle quick releases.
if you got the wheels/hubs you want then qr/r and ta/f is non issue.

I always have a 4 and 5 allen wrench in bike bag. sometimes that's my only tools. a simple bolt on TA. to me makes sense. Oh and I do love the clean look.

Trust me bolt on axles can get worse. I have to take the brake off my lefty every time I go mtb'ing so i can get the front wheel off to get the bike in the car. haha

YET even though I take the brake off via the mount, I still have less brake alignment issues with the lefty than I did with the QR 9mm disc brake setup.
Likes For Metieval: