Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Centurion Professional or Semi Pro information needed

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-18, 05:36 PM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 2,181 Times in 1,183 Posts

Hello,
I would like to ask the Centurion experts if any of the early or late Centurion Professionals or Semi-Pros ever originally came with Campagnolo HS RD or CS.
I have seen a few at some of the swaps but not sure they were original...I thought all Japanese components.
Trying to do some research on the net and could not find anything concrete.
Thanks, Ben

Voice recognition may sometimes create odd spelling and grammatical errors

Last edited by xiaoman1; 04-14-18 at 07:30 PM.
Old 04-14-18, 05:59 PM
Vintage_Cyclist

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 176 Posts
There were some Professionals, very early on, that were manufactured by Acer-Mex and were essentially rebranded Windsor Professionals.

I've read that there was some coordination between Cinelli and Acer-Mex on building Cinelli-like bicycles in Mexico. However those stories appear murky and range from official collaboration to stave off the Japanese, a defection involving a long-time Cinelli employee, to no connection at all.

My understanding is these early Acer-Mex built Professionals had Columbus frames with Campy dropouts/fork ends and Campy equipment.
Old 04-14-18, 06:27 PM
xiaoman1 

Originally Posted by Vintage_Cyclist
There were some Professionals, very early on, that were manufactured by Acer-Mex and were essentially rebranded Windsor Professionals.

I've read that there was some coordination between Cinelli and Acer-Mex on building Cinelli-like bicycles in Mexico. However those stories appear murky and range from official collaboration to stave off the Japanese, a defection involving a long-time Cinelli employee, to no connection at all.

My understanding is these early Acer-Mex built Professionals had Columbus frames with Campy dropouts/fork ends and Campy equipment.
Thanks,
The ones I have seen have the steel campy RD with Shimano drops and old Tange tubing stickers..who knew, any others have comments/thoughts?

Last edited by xiaoman1; 04-14-18 at 06:39 PM.
Old 04-14-18, 06:49 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,296 Times in 866 Posts
I bought a Semi-Pro that lacked the specific model decal, and had a full Dura-Ace 1st-gen gruppo right down to the hubs and all.

Never did find out the story on it. It's more like a touring bike geometry-wise, not particularly light, yet is a favorite ride when low gearing isn't required.

Old 04-14-18, 07:31 PM
xiaoman1 

Originally Posted by dddd
I bought a Semi-Pro that lacked the specific model decal, and had a full Dura-Ace 1st-gen gruppo right down to the hubs and all.

Never did find out the story on it. It's more like a touring bike geometry-wise, not particularly light, yet is a favorite ride when low gearing isn't required.
Very nice...DA 1st gen...what year is your bike?
Ben

Old 04-14-18, 07:35 PM
cdmurphy

Bikes: Too many, but sometimes not enough.

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by xiaoman1
Hello,
I would like to ask the Centurion experts if any of the early or late Centurion Professionals or Semi-Pros ever came with Campagnolo HS RD or CS.
I have seen a few at some of the swaps but not sure they were original...I thought all Japanese components.
Trying to do some research on the net and could not find anything concrete.
Thanks, Ben
As far as I know, the Semi Pro has always been Japanese, and came stock with Tange/Suntour/Sugino bits. The Professional from 78 or so onward, was also Japanese, and came with similar, but very slightly nicer Japanese bits. The early, 72 through maybe 74 Professional models were essentially rebadged Windsor Profesionals, and came with Columbus tubing, and pretty much full Campagnolo Record / Nuovo Record bits.

This is for the US. Germany and Austrailia also imported Centurion bikes, with some differences. (Their pros had differing chrome amounts, and sometimes came with Suntour Superbe)
Old 04-14-18, 07:58 PM
cdmurphy

Bikes: Too many, but sometimes not enough.

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts
Here is my 1976 Centurion Semi Pro all shined up before the 2018 Eroica coastal route.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_20180414_184234.jpg (802.8 KB, 269 views)
Old 04-15-18, 08:45 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
+1, very early Centurion Professionals were built by Acer-Mex and came equipped with Camapagnolo (Nuovo) Record and Universal brakes. When production was moved to Miki in Japan, the component mix was SunTour/Sugino/Dia-Compe. As noted, this was for US market models. I've seen European Centurion Professionals with Campagnolo components but cannot vouch for their originality. Also, like many pro level models of the day, it's possible that these were also offered as framesets which would be built with customer selected components.

The Miki built frames look similar to the Acer-Mex versions but there are differences. The easiest way to tell, without appearing obtrusive, is to check the dropouts. The Acer-Mex models used Campagnolo, while the Miki used SunTour or Shimano and sometimes vertical versions. The Acer-Mex will typically have the serial number stamped on the seat lug or upper seat tube while the Miki versions have it stamped on the BB shell, which often has four large "petal" cutouts.

I've never seen an Acer-Mex Semi-Pro. They've all been Miki sourced and a SunTour/Sugino/Dia-Compe component mix.
Old 04-15-18, 03:16 PM
xiaoman1 

T-Mar,
As always you are a wealth of information...A few more questions for you, you mentioned Miki as the Japanese builder and I am curious about your comment regarding the differences between Acer and Miki....please elaborate a bit more if you please.
Did Miki only make the Semi-Pro, what is the difference between the Semi and the Pro, components, geometry, tubing etc.?
Thanks very much, Ben

Originally Posted by T-Mar
+1, very early Centurion Professionals were built by Acer-Mex and came equipped with Camapagnolo (Nuovo) Record and Universal brakes. When production was moved to Miki in Japan, the component mix was SunTour/Sugino/Dia-Compe. As noted, this was for US market models. I've seen European Centurion Professionals with Campagnolo components but cannot vouch for their originality. Also, like many pro level models of the day, it's possible that these were also offered as framesets which would be built with customer selected components.

The Miki built frames look similar to the Acer-Mex versions but there are differences. The easiest way to tell, without appearing obtrusive, is to check the dropouts. The Acer-Mex models used Campagnolo, while the Miki used SunTour or Shimano and sometimes vertical versions. The Acer-Mex will typically have the serial number stamped on the seat lug or upper seat tube while the Miki versions have it stamped on the BB shell, which often has four large "petal" cutouts.

I've never seen an Acer-Mex Semi-Pro. They've all been Miki sourced and a SunTour/Sugino/Dia-Compe component mix.

Old 04-15-18, 04:27 PM
Vintage_Cyclist

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 176 Posts
A Professional/Semi-Pro comparison snapshot from a catalog that is either 1977 or 1978. There is a known 1979 catalog out there, that doesn't have the Professional listed anymore.

Likes For Vintage_Cyclist:
Old 04-15-18, 04:30 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,834 Times in 2,229 Posts
Originally Posted by cdmurphy
Here is my 1976 Centurion Semi Pro all shined up before the 2018 Eroica coastal route.

Your 1976 SemiPro
My 75-ish Semipro

Mine = Falck tubing, chrome head lugs+fork crown, chrome socks/rear dropout, no braze-ons, ovalized chainstays dimpled for clearance, 27inch wheels. I need a better pic of mine.

edit: mine is an AcerMex Carabela - and you are right = not lightweight.

Looking at @Vintage_Cyclist chart, yours may be a much higher quality tubeset. Also noticed different lugset on yours, so even more differences.
Attached Images
Centurion SemiPro.jpg (802.8 KB, 222 views)
drive side.JPG (168.0 KB, 229 views)

Last edited by Wildwood; 04-15-18 at 04:39 PM.
Old 04-15-18, 04:35 PM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
Based on the distribution of serial numbers in my database, Miki was WSI's prime Japanese source for the upper end models during the late 1970s. These models included the Professional, Semi-Pro,Pro Tour and Super Elite. Basically this covered the models with CrMo tubesets, with the excpetion of the Elite (I don't have any Elite from this period in the database, so I can't say if they were Miki builtor not). However, Miki also appear to have been alternate source for the hi-tensile models in an emergency situation, as there is the odd LeMans with a Miki serial number.

Circa 1979, WSI started transferring manufacture of the high end models to a new source, though Miki still had significant volume in 1980. However, after that they still appear to have used in emergencies, as the odd mid-1980s Turbo has surfaced with a Miki serial number.

In terms of frame, the Miki built Centurion Professional is a clone of the Acer-Mex built Centurion Professional and Windsor Profesional, which itself is a Cinelli copy. The head frame builder at Acer-Mex was Remo Vecchi, an ex-Cinelli employee who simply replicated what he had been doing in Italy for over two decades. This is why the Windsor Profesional looks so much like a Cinelli. When Mitch Weiner was looking for a high end model for his Centurion brand, he approached Acer-Mex, who built the very early Centurion Pros based on the Windsor model. When production was transferred to Miki in Japan, they simply continued the established frame aesthetics but used Japanese sources for the tubing, dropouts and lugset.

Regarding Pro versus Semi-Pro, the main distinction is the seat stay attachment to the seat lug. The Pro used the Cinelli style fastback arrangement, while the Semi-Pro used a British wrap-over style. Component specs could vary from year but they were typically quite similar with the major difference being tubular wheels on the Professional and wired-on wheelsets on the Semi-Pro.

Last edited by T-Mar; 04-15-18 at 04:43 PM.
Old 04-18-18, 11:39 AM
fleslider 

Bikes: 1974 Paramount ~ 1974 Raleigh Pro ~ 1977 Pro-Tour ~ 1978 TX900 ~ IronMan 85,87:E/M,88:M/Pro,89:E ~ 98 Peugeot Festina Replica

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 477 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 91 Posts
Great info guys! as always T-Mar your insight is inspiring.

One of these days i will get the chance to get a pro or semi pro.
Old 04-18-18, 11:46 AM
inkandsilver

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
CDMurphy, that is stunning. For the sake of more pictures, here is one I used to own. This has moved on to a happy home in Virginia.
Attached Images
IMG_2715.jpg (956.5 KB, 189 views)
Old 02-02-21, 09:13 AM
suntour123

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
centurion catalogue vintage centurion contact info?

Originally Posted by inkandsilver
CDMurphy, that is stunning. For the sake of more pictures, here is one I used to own. This has moved on to a happy home in Virginia.
Hello, anybody have contact info for the vintage centurion webmaster? webmaster@vintage-centurion.com as listed on website just gets returned undeliverable message. Thankyou in advance.
Old 02-02-21, 12:12 PM
Schreck83 

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked 313 Times in 162 Posts
Here is a 25" Semi-Pro that was posted for sale last summer....

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...l#post21599180

Old 02-02-21, 08:18 PM
CO_Hoya 
Señor Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 150 Posts
Originally Posted by suntour123
Hello, anybody have contact info for the vintage centurion webmaster? webmaster@vintage-centurion.com as listed on website just gets returned undeliverable message. Thankyou in advance.
I believe you are looking for fleslider

By @‘ing him, we should get his attention.