Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Erie canal trip

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Erie canal trip

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-18, 07:26 AM
irwin7638

Bikes: Sam, The Hunq and that Old Guy, Soma Buena Vista, Giant Talon 2, Brompton

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 48 Posts
Erie canal trip

I rode the Erie Canal for a few days and thought it was the best, most trouble free tour I've ever taken. I met a lot of other Ahhh, mature (that's the word) riders along the way.
Here's a link to my blogpost: Simply Cycle: A glorious week on the Erie Canal Trail

Marc
Old 06-29-18, 04:21 AM
scott967

Bikes: 89 Paramount OS 84 Fuji Touring Series III New! 2013 Focus Izalco Ergoride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
My wife is from Rochester. Never ridden on the canal, but have seen plenty of activity along it in the Pittsford area. The canal actually went through downtown Rochester, but was re-routed to the south. The original route became a street car/subway route and later a freeway.

scott s.
Old 06-29-18, 08:01 AM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Originally Posted by irwin7638
I rode the Erie Canal for a few days and thought it was the best, most trouble free tour I've ever taken. I met a lot of other Ahhh, mature (that's the word) riders along the way.
Here's a link to my blogpost: Simply Cycle: A glorious week on the Erie Canal Trail

Marc
Very nice! I've still got the map, this ride is very much on my to do list.

Originally Posted by scott967
My wife is from Rochester. Never ridden on the canal, but have seen plenty of activity along it in the Pittsford area. The canal actually went through downtown Rochester, but was re-routed to the south. The original route became a street car/subway route and later a freeway.

scott s.
Spent Junior High School and High School years there. Lots of miles on the local (high speed) roads, either solo or with my best friend. Bike lanes? What are those? Canal? A couple of boats a day, but otherwise virtually unused.

A couple of years ago I got to do a short ride along the canal path. Pics (and brief "story") can be found in "Metro Boston: Good ride today?", because I now live in Metro Boston.

Originally Posted by mr_bill
Two score years ago I rode around these parts outside of Rochester NY.

Here, the highways are fast (55 mph national speed limit back then) but the shoulders are very wide. But there was either just me, or just me and my friend bold enough to ride bicycles on these roads around here. Now the Erie Canal is a transportation resource again - but the vehicles are bicycles. LOTS of people on bicycles.
-mr. bill
Old 06-29-18, 10:06 AM
Hoopdriver
On Holiday

Bikes: A bunch of old steel bikes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Great stuff. Thanks for sharing.
Old 06-29-18, 11:59 AM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 641 Post(s)
Liked 1,517 Times in 549 Posts
I sure wish there was something like that nearby me. What a great trip. Thanks for sharing the details.
Old 06-29-18, 07:18 PM
lost_in_endicot

Bikes: Electra Loft 7i, Fuji Crosstown 2.5, Gravity Liberty FB, Schwinn Voyageur

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
I'd love to ride the whole thing, sometime. I like going up and riding from Dewitt to Rome and back. It's about 70 miles round trip. It's a nice ride.
Old 06-29-18, 07:43 PM
transitguy

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Limited, Specialized Stumpjumper, Trek 520, Specialized carbon Diverge

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Erie Canal ride

Hello, all
I also rode the Erie Canal Trail this year (late May / early June), and I thoroughly enjoyed it, with a couple of minor exceptions. I rode from Albany to Buffalo over six days, with one hotel stay in Syracuse. The trail surface is mostly fine (I rode a Trek 520 with 700c x 37 tires) and the road riding featured wide shoulders on almost every mile.
One thing I noticed is that everyone I met was very friendly and helpful and motorists consistently gave me plenty of room as they passed me on the road. Camping at the locks works well, and there are several private campgrounds along the way that are inexpensive.
My only real complaint is that portions of the trail are not well marked, and I wound up lost or at dead ends several times. However, each time this happened I was able to get assistance from the friendly folks in upstate New York. I highly recommend this route as long as you have access to good maps of the portions that traverse the larger cities such as Rochester and Buffalo.
Transitguy
Coon Rapids, MN
Old 07-02-18, 08:19 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Super. I’ll put that on my list for my gravel bike.

i rode right through the middle of Albany on my cross country ride. Busy as heck!

Upstate New York was very scenic, one of my favorites.

Would it be possible to stay in motels in lieu of camping?
Old 07-09-18, 04:30 AM
irwin7638

Bikes: Sam, The Hunq and that Old Guy, Soma Buena Vista, Giant Talon 2, Brompton

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by jppe
Super. I’ll put that on my list for my gravel bike.

i rode right through the middle of Albany on my cross country ride. Busy as heck!

Upstate New York was very scenic, one of my favorites.

Would it be possible to stay in motels in lieu of camping?
I didn't see the need for motels but most of the people I met were staying indoors somewhere.

Marc
Old 07-09-18, 08:39 AM
Helderberg

Bikes: Had an old Columbia in the 80's, here a used Schwinn hybrid, now a Cannondale Quick 3 and a Topstone 105..

Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked 306 Times in 139 Posts
If you are looking for some side trips in the Albany/Schenectady area go to Altamont. There is a hill climb that will take you to Thatchers Park with some beautiful scenic views.
Lived there for 65 years with hopes of reding it but health issues sidlined me. Now that I am retired and in better shape I would try it but I now live in NC.
The Erie canal is a great area and western NY is beautiful. I miss NY a lot.
Be safe, Frank
Old 07-09-18, 07:02 PM
koolerb

Bikes: CAAD 12, ROS 9+, and some others

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
The Thatcher Park ride out of Guilderland was really good. Used to do it when I was a teenager. Biggest problem from what I can remember was getting stuck behind cars on the way back down.