Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

[Brompton] A few questions about servicing a BWR gear hub

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-19, 07:38 AM
Winfried

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 573 Post(s)
Liked 118 Times in 99 Posts

Hello,

I have a few questions while my BWR lies open on the operation table.

1. How many loose balls does the right hand-side driver assembly take?

The last time I greased it, I was having a hard time fitting the cone back (it stood askew), and someone said it was because I actually needed nine balls instead of seven. However, in this picture, only seven are shown. What gives?

2. How is the HSA284 left hand-side ball cage removed (pic and pic)?

3. Is it common for the threading on the HSA 294 axle key to go soft? The HSA 126 Indicator is turning into an endless screw (pic).

4a. One of the HSA120 pawl springs broke: Provided none of the shops here has them for sale, is there a cheaper alternative than ordering in the UK through eg. SJSCycles (Four springs + shipping to France : £6.46) or eBay (4*£1.20 + £0.80 shipping = £5.60).
4b. How to install the spring + gear ring pawl back (pic)?

5. I read* the HMW150 Lock Washer is recommended on the left hand-side to sit between the cone and the thick HMW129 washer. Out of curiosity, wouldn't the HMW147 tabwasher also do the trick?

BWR Parts Diagram.

Thank you.

* "I would further advise that washer HMW150 is fitted to the left side of the hub (this allows much easier bearing adjustment since the cone won't turn as you tighten the locknut)", source
Old 10-14-19, 07:13 AM
Winfried

Infos after getting help and experimenting:

1. Originally, the BWR also had an HSA284 ball cage on the RHS, which contains seven bearing balls. The loose balls I saw the first time I opened the BWR were simply due to the cage having broken. A not rare occurence.

To avoid this, it's better to just use loose balls instead.

2. To remove the seal/cap that's on top of the HSA284, simply push it out from the other side with a flat screwdriver and a mallet.

3. Don't know, but likely

4. If I'm lucky, a Brompton retailer will have the part so I don't have to order through the Internet.

5. Don't know, but no biggie.
Old 10-14-19, 09:09 AM
Winfried

To replace the pawl springs in the gear ring assembly, here's a picture that shows which way the pawl goes in (~accross the edge) and how to put the pawl spring (on top):

https://forum.cyclinguk.org/viewtopi...99168#p1299168

And here's a video:

Last edited by Winfried; 10-14-19 at 10:07 AM.