Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

1972? Super Mondia - story, photos & questions

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-08, 08:36 AM
tradtimbo

Bikes: 1982 Fuji Team, 1979 Raleigh Team Record, 1984 Raleigh Team USA, Japanese Raleigh Super Course, 2000 LeMond Buenos Aires, 90's Schwinn High Plains, 1978? Austro Daimler Inter 10

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've been on the look out for a frame swap for my Merida Road bike. I'm a bit stretched out on it and have been cruising ebay and Craigslist waiting for the perfect frame for a hassle free swap. (The perfect swap in my mind is 1993 Specialized Allez - let me know if you got one!). In other words I've been prowling CL a little more than usual the last few weeks.

"Bike for Sale - $100" comes up on the local New Orleans list, so I click it and there is one line of text and no photos. It reads "Mid 70's Bottechia bicycle. Campagnolo Component. Call (xxx) xxx-xxxx". I give a call, and the fella selling it lives down the street from me. It just so happens the bike is my size. I couldn't pass up the opportunity. It wouldn't be a swap for the Merida, but hell, I couldn't pass on it!

I arrive and he shows me the bike below. It turns out to be a Super Mondia. The NR Derailleur is stamped '72, thus the guess of the year. Is it more likely a 1973? Also it looks like the webmasters Mondia at Classic Rendezvous here:

https://www.classicrendezvous.com/Swi...os/photo1.html

So far from Classic Rendezvous I've found out it is Swiss made, and it looks like they used Reynold 531 tubing. I'm not sure how to ID lugs, but they look like chrome Nervex lugs? It looks like chrome under the paint as well. I'm trying to find out if they chromed these things before painting them. Anyone know?

I'm off for the weekend, so I can't take her apart until Monday, but I'm already looking forward to it.

questions:
-Is it a 1972 or maybe a 1973?
-Is Mondia the manufacturer and "Super" the model? I have also seen "Special" on the web.
-I'm guessing it is Reynolds 531, but if its a 1973, would they have changed the tubing at all?
-Is it likely I"m going to find more chrome if I start peeling off the brittle paint?
-Did the head badge always look like that or was there more color like the one at CR?
-What is the reputation of Mondia bicycles besides what I've read on Classic Rendezvous? Seems good there.

Any other coll nuggets of info are appreciated as well!

Thanks! Here are the photos!

Last edited by tradtimbo; 10-09-08 at 08:38 AM. Reason: CR picture didn't make it.
Old 10-09-08, 09:01 AM
dbakl

Bikes: Cinelli, Paramount, Raleigh, Carlton, Zeus, Gemniani, Frejus, Legnano, Pinarello, Falcon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Yes, lugs on that one are Nervex, later ones were simplier. They're sweet bikes, I've been wanting one for years myself!

Probably 72 or 73.
Yes, though I believe they only made the one model.
Reynolds 531 butted throughout.
The whole frame may be chrome, but probably only polished where is shows.
Headbadge originally filled with color; you could repaint with model paints and a brush.
Mondias were well regarded; more of a touring bike than a racer in the time.
Old 10-09-08, 09:17 AM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 1,062 Times in 787 Posts
yes to all dbaki sez: they are great bikes, you done well. The BB may be FR or Swiss on Mondias, you will find out when you try to unscrew the fixed cup, or just leave it and clean it in place. Too bad the paint has degraded, these usually had one-of-a-kind airbrushed fades and lining. Here's a link to a WoolJersey site that has a very clear shot of the headbadge plus TONS or text concerning the owner's '77 Mondia Prestige (they did offer more than one model):
https://www.wooljersey.com/gallery/v/...7_001.jpg.html
congrats on your nice bike!
Old 10-09-08, 09:55 AM
bigbossman 
Dolce far niente

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
The BB is almost assuredly Swiss - say prayers that it is ok, cuz they're hard to find and/or expensive.

Mondia's came in two flavors, "Super" and "Special". I have a 1980 Super, and it is a fine bike. All 531 steel, it rides very well, and handles crisply. Serial number will help - there's a guy over at CR that can usually tell the age by he Serial #.

Head badge should look like this:

S. J. Perelman
Old 10-09-08, 10:03 AM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

if you have to replace the BB Phil Wood still offer Swiss rings (which function as "cups" for Phil BBs)...all for a price, though.
Old 10-09-08, 11:45 AM
tradtimbo

Bikes: 1982 Fuji Team, 1979 Raleigh Team Record, 1984 Raleigh Team USA, Japanese Raleigh Super Course, 2000 LeMond Buenos Aires, 90's Schwinn High Plains, 1978? Austro Daimler Inter 10

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sounds like the first thing I'll be opening up is the bottom bracket. Seems to spin just fine. Thats a good sign.

I think I'll be stripping the paint/stickers. I'm not exactly sure what I'll do for a repaint, but nothing like those fades I'm seeing on these things!
Old 10-09-08, 01:21 PM
jake8

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was on my way to pick that bike up when he told me that it was just sold. Nice catch though!!
Old 10-09-08, 01:23 PM
tradtimbo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
According to THIS I have a "Special". and also according to that, all the Mondia's had "Super Mondia" on the headbadge.
Old 10-09-08, 02:03 PM
dbakl

Bikes: Cinelli, Paramount, Raleigh, Carlton, Zeus, Gemniani, Frejus, Legnano, Pinarello, Falcon

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by tradtimbo
According to THIS I have a "Special". and also according to that, all the Mondia's had "Super Mondia" on the headbadge.

Cool info... I didn't know there were 3 models...
Old 10-09-08, 03:07 PM
THEMONDIA

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A Mondia was a classic Reynolds 531 frame.

There were at least 3 models, and I have seen reference to a couple of others. There is a wikipedia entry for Mondias that describes some of the models and details of the two most common: the Super and the Special. The third called "Prestige" was described in a January 1977 "Bicycling" magazine article which can be googled. It may have only been made for a year or two, and designed for criterium racing.

I have a Mondia Super made in 1978. It has Prugnat lugs, and I built it with my own selection of Campy, Shimano, and Cinelli components. It is my favorite bike and I was lucky to find this frame when I did.

The best and most special feature, a side from the Renolds 531 frame, is the fade paint on chrome. Although many later brands began to offer fade paint jobs, Mondia was one of a number of Swiss manufacturers to mass market this paint scheme and, arguably, few other bikes of the era compare in attractiveness.

Here are pictures. The serial number is 291078.

The distinctive fade chrome not seen after about 1980.

Prugnat lugs replaced Nervex in the late '70's.

I would imagine that yours does date from around 1972-73.

If you have the financial means I hope that you will decide to have it repainted exactly as new. There are decals for Mondia available on e-bay.

You will be hard pressed to acquire another bike from this era that is as unique, and also somewhat less common. And it will last you a lifetime.

Last edited by THEMONDIA; 10-15-18 at 03:43 PM.
Old 10-09-08, 04:45 PM
dbakl

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by THEMONDIA
Although many later brands began to offer fade paint jobs, Mondia was probably the first manufacture to mass market this paint scheme, and few other bikes of the time could arguably compare in attractiveness.
Allegros were made before Mondias, and featured similar and even more exotic paint jobs. The fades seem to be a common Swiss treatment back to the 30s or 40s, but you can see similar details from the Italians, probably others...
Old 10-09-08, 06:51 PM
retyred

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 16 Posts
Well I can't add much to this thread other than to say you've got a great bike. Mondias are well crafted and I have always liked the fade paint jobs/chrome lugs combination. Enjoy your great find.
Old 10-09-08, 06:59 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 1609 Post(s)
Liked 2,590 Times in 1,224 Posts
My 76' is stamped with "501" steel. ?
Old 10-09-08, 07:25 PM
retyred

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by curbtender
What is the serial number? According to one source 501 tubing was used from 1988 on.
Old 10-09-08, 07:34 PM
bigbossman 
Dolce far niente

My 1980 Super is definitely all 531, with chromed forks and stays.

S. J. Perelman
Old 10-09-08, 10:53 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 1609 Post(s)
Liked 2,590 Times in 1,224 Posts
Originally Posted by retyred
What is the serial number? According to one source 501 tubing was used from 1988 on.
My bad, I misread the sticker, 531
Old 10-10-08, 08:22 AM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Question for Chuckk and BBM: where is the serial number stamped on your "late model" Mondias: is it on the top of the LH seat stay as on the earlier bikes?
Old 10-10-08, 10:01 AM
dbakl

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by curbtender
This is the classic Mondia, I'll take one in RED!
Old 10-10-08, 10:25 AM
bigbossman 
Dolce far niente

Originally Posted by unworthy1
Question for Chuckk and BBM: where is the serial number stamped on your "late model" Mondias: is it on the top of the LH seat stay as on the earlier bikes?
Mine is across the top of the seat tube, on the left side. Not the seat stay.

S. J. Perelman
Old 10-10-08, 03:40 PM
THEMONDIA

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OK, I would like to contribute to this thread's Mondia pic and post fest, but I don't know the technique and can't succeed with the instructions I have seen.

I have nice shots taken in recent weeks that show the details of my 1978 Mondia frame, serial number 291078. Serial # 291067 recently sold on ebay.

Can someone provide me with a clear step-by-step? My pictures are in a Flickr photobucket.

Last edited by THEMONDIA; 10-12-08 at 03:58 PM.
Old 10-11-08, 05:41 AM
THEMONDIA

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuckk
Go down below here to "Quick Reply" and poke the thing that looks like a postcard.
A popup appears, and you put the particular photobucket photo address where it sez "https:"

Repeat as necessary, and apply to infected area.
;-]
Thanks for the instruction. I followed these directions and inserted pictures in my message above, but instead of pictures there is the little box with an x in it.

After toying around with this for a while I finally figured out what to do next: I went back to the photobucket and copied the image again (right click) and then (under a post edit) pasted the image over the box with the x, which I now realize is something of a placeholder.

Now you can see actual pictures of above.

Last edited by THEMONDIA; 10-14-08 at 07:54 AM.
Old 10-12-08, 06:36 AM
THEMONDIA

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuckk
Those chrome headlugs really set off the frame. What is the "fade chrome" paint? Not a smoke or black chrome like A-D but maybe a metallic black or translucent over chrome?

I like that it has all the extra block and swoop pinstripe work on the tubes but isn't as aggressive with its presentation as most of the Mondias.

Smoke chrome on my A-D:
"Fade chrome" is kinda my expression, basically "the paint fades onto chrome." The paint is a smoke black with a metallic sheen. This paint job is a little understated; but those other Mondia schemes are, for me, are hypnotic.

Last edited by THEMONDIA; 10-12-08 at 03:59 PM.
Old 10-12-08, 07:29 PM
zagnut

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have a Mondia S# 176071 that I think is a "74 model. I know the S# base at Classic Rendezvous does not exactly confirm that date, but it doesn't contradict it either. I based that on the S# and the components dates. It could be up to 2 years newer as best I can calculate. Mine has an over the top fade paint job with a whole host of colors over a chrome base. It's "Swiss Psychedelic".

Zagnut
Old 10-12-08, 09:04 PM
THEMONDIA

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by zagnut
I have a Mondia S# 176071 that I think is a "74 model. I know the S# base at Classic Rendezvous does not exactly confirm that date, but it doesn't contradict it either. I based that on the S# and the components dates. It could be up to 2 years newer as best I can calculate. Mine has an over the top fade paint job with a whole host of colors over a chrome base. It's "Swiss Psychedelic".

Zagnut
Can you post some pictures. I for one can't get enough of those bikes. Since you don't often see them on the road, this here's really the next best thing.
Old 10-12-08, 09:27 PM
zagnut

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Can you post some pictures. I for one can't get enough of those bikes. Since you don't often see them on the road, this here's really the next best thing.
Ha, ha that's a good one. If you only knew how lacking in computer skills I am. Besides, the bike has been in storage for some time and I don't have any pictures. It is somewhat similar to the one posted here https://www.classicrendezvous.com/Swi...os/photo1.html. 531 tubing, Mafac Racer Centerpull brakes, Campy components (high flange hubs), Unicanator saddle (used to be suede but now worn smooth), Christoph pedals and toeclips, add on water bottle and Silca pump holders. It is somewhat longish in the geo, more of a touring type. Mine also has a three color fade, and Nervex lugs with the shorelines outlined. Oddly, the top tube sags about 1mm in the middle. I can not find evidence of any dent, ding, wrinkle or other reason for the sag, but if you put a straightedge on it, you can definitely see it. One person supposedly in the know said it was probably just the way it was made, those were "bike boom" days and the frames were hastily produced. Who knows for sure. It rides OK though, actually quite comfy, but it's been awhile. I paid $25 for it at an estate sale about 5 years ago.

Zagnut

Last edited by zagnut; 10-12-08 at 09:38 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.