Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

How to tell when chain needs cleaning?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-11, 07:41 AM
damnable

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi,
Even to me this sounds like a silly question. I've read a few threads on chain cleaning to get some ideas but not what exactly a dirty chain looks like.

My still relatively new bike is only a few hundred kilometres old. But I've looked at the chain and part of the drivechain and I'm seeing quite a bit of black grime in and around the chain. It looks and feels like fine dirt or dust mixed with sticky oil. It's most noticeable around the jocky wheels where it's come out of the chain.

Is this normal or a sign the chain needs a clean?

How do you tell when your chain needs cleaning?
Old 03-19-11, 08:14 AM
canam73

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
When the chainring mark on my leg doesn't wash off in the first shower I figure it's about time.
Old 03-19-11, 08:19 AM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Everyone has a different tolerance level for drivetrain cleanliness. Some like it polished and pristine and will remove the chain, clean with a degreaser and relube. Others, including me, just wipe it down with a rag or shop towel occasionally and re-lube. There is no benefit, other than looks, to having a perfectly clean chain. Wiping gets off the majority of grunge and takes less than a minute.
Old 03-19-11, 09:39 AM
surgeonstone

Bikes: 1976 FRESCHI, 2004 Crumpton.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 925 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts
When it's dirty.
Old 03-19-11, 09:42 AM
achoo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by surgeonstone
When it's dirty.
Or the drivetrain is getting noisy.
Old 03-19-11, 09:43 AM
kenji666

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
When it turns reddish brown and is dry to the touch.
Old 03-19-11, 09:54 AM
surgeonstone

Bikes: 1976 FRESCHI, 2004 Crumpton.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 925 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by achoo
Or the drivetrain is getting noisy.
Then it's dirty.
Old 03-19-11, 10:01 AM
rollin
Sua Ku

Bikes: Trek 5200, BMC SLC01, BMC SSX, Specialized FSR, Holdsworth Criterium

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It's the gunk you can't see that causes he most problems. The side plates looking greasy is just ugly but the place to consider are the rollers.

Dependent on ride conditions I would clean and lubricate my chain every 100-200 miles
Old 03-19-11, 10:02 AM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,179 Times in 1,469 Posts
Originally Posted by damnable
But I've looked at the chain and part of the drivechain and I'm seeing quite a bit of black grime in and around the chain. It looks and feels like fine dirt or dust mixed with sticky oil. It's most noticeable around the jocky wheels where it's come out of the chain.
Most of that is little bits of the chain material as it wears.

Like someone said, I clean it when washing off the chain tattoo in the shower takes longer that cleaning the chain.
Old 03-19-11, 10:09 AM
TromboneAl

Bikes: 1997 Specialized M2Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Every 50 miles or whenever riding in the rain.

This device, that I learned about here, is great (the grunge brush):

Old 03-19-11, 10:49 AM
iiimik3

Bikes: Bianchi Imola & some old Marin Hybrid

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i degrease my entire drivetrain about once a month, which for me is usually around 200-300 miles. I'll also do the quick wipe and re-lube of the chain once or twice through-out that month. If i ride through a lot of wet or exceptionally dirty areas i'll maybe do a degrease/relube session sometime before the next ride.
Old 03-19-11, 10:51 AM
kenji666

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by TromboneAl
Every 50 miles or whenever riding in the rain.

This device, that I learned about here, is great (the grunge brush):

Does it get the chainring tatoo off your calf too?
Old 03-19-11, 12:40 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 5787 Post(s)
Liked 2,579 Times in 1,430 Posts
Minor surface dire glued to the outside of the chain won't kill it. You may dry clean it by running the chain through a rag or paper towel once in a while if you like. Decent chain lube will protect the chain from weather, including coastal salty air and rain, so how you handle that depends on what you used to lube.

IMO washing chains (as opposed to dry wiping) is more trouble than it's worth and I equate it to bathing cats. Only when absolutely necessary, and then very carefully.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 03-19-11, 12:49 PM
Christobevii3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I feel the chain and if they don't roll or it feels gritty i clean it. I like to hear my chain sound like sizzling bacon, it gives me motivation.
Old 03-19-11, 02:22 PM
San Rensho 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 91 Posts
If you wipe down the chain after every ride and lighttly oil it every 2nd or 3rd ride, you never have to clean it. I haven't cleaned a chain in years. My chian is always visually clean (not sanitary, but definitely clean) and shifts perfectly.

1980 3Rensho-- 1975 Raleigh Sprite 3spd
1990s Raleigh M20 MTB--2007 Windsor Hour (track)
1988 Ducati 750 F1
Old 03-19-11, 02:37 PM
chado445510
Raising the bar

Bikes: 2007 Specialized Allez Double (sold), 2009 Kestrel RT 800

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gregf83
Everyone has a different tolerance level for drivetrain cleanliness. Some like it polished and pristine and will remove the chain, clean with a degreaser and relube. Others, including me, just wipe it down with a rag or shop towel occasionally and re-lube. There is no benefit, other than looks, to having a perfectly clean chain. Wiping gets off the majority of grunge and takes less than a minute.
A poorly cared for drivetrain will wear down more quickly than one that was pristine.
Old 03-19-11, 03:39 PM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
If there's any grit, any black stuff accumulating around the outer pins, it's time to clean. If it makes gritty noises (if you think it sounds gritty, it is), time to clean.

Grit etc wears out a chain prematurely. Leave your chain sandy/dirty just as an experiment. In muddy conditions (mtb) I've worn a chain in 2 weeks (XT), maybe 8 rides. Apparently Phil Anderson (pro when STI levers first came out) needed a new chain every two weeks, but then that might be 1200-1300 miles.

It also shows a bit of pride in your bike, like having a clean workbench or car. I don't have much of anything clean/uncluttered but my bike stays a bit cleaner than not.
Old 03-19-11, 04:03 PM
halfspeed

Bikes: are better than yours.

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by chado445510
A poorly cared for drivetrain will wear down more quickly than one that was pristine.
He's not advocating poor care. He's advocating adequate care.
Old 03-19-11, 05:25 PM
spock
Peripheral Visionary

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by gregf83
Others, including me, just wipe it down with a rag or shop towel occasionally and re-lube. There is no benefit, other than looks, to having a perfectly clean chain. Wiping gets off the majority of grunge and takes less than a minute.
I used to do this, but then I read somewhere that this method is not recommended because when you wipe a dirty chain, you push small grime particles into the chain where it matters the most. Accelerated chain wear occurs when dirt remains on the inside of the chain. Whether the chain is clean on the outside matters the least. I wish I could find a link for better explanation, but it makes perfect sense to me. It also mentioned that you should never lube a dirty chain.

I clean mine with degreaser and rolling brushes about every 150 miles and make sure that all the excess lube is removed from the outside of the chain after lubing becuase it attracts dirt if there is too much lube. Before I lube a clean chain, I always make sure that the degreaser is removed from the chain by rinsing it down with water and wait till it's completely dry.

Last edited by spock; 03-19-11 at 05:45 PM.
Old 03-19-11, 06:03 PM
halfspeed

Bikes: are better than yours.

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by spock
I used to do this, but then I read somewhere that this method is not recommended because when you wipe a dirty chain, you push small grime particles into the chain where it matters the most. Accelerated chain wear occurs when dirt remains on the inside of the chain. Whether the chain is clean on the outside matters the least. I wish I could find a link for better explanation, but it makes perfect sense to me. It also mentioned that you should never lube a dirty chain.

I clean mine with degreaser and rolling brushes about every 150 miles and make sure that all the excess lube is removed from the outside of the chain after lubing becuase it attracts dirt if there is too much lube. Before I lube a clean chain, I always make sure that the degreaser is removed from the chain by rinsing it down with water and wait till it's completely dry.
And degreaser supposedly washes lube out of the inside of the chain.

Look, you can obsess over this stuff or you can wipe, lube and ride your bike. I doubt you'll get any significant increase in chain life from regular meticulous detailing, but you will get all that time spent fiddling with chains back if you take a more relaxed approach to cleaning.
Old 03-19-11, 06:27 PM
spock
Peripheral Visionary

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by halfspeed
And degreaser supposedly washes lube out of the inside of the chain.

Look, you can obsess over this stuff or you can wipe, lube and ride your bike. I doubt you'll get any significant increase in chain life from regular meticulous detailing, but you will get all that time spent fiddling with chains back if you take a more relaxed approach to cleaning.
Hey it ain't that bad really. About 20 minutes every 2 weeks or so for me. I like doing it too.

Yes it does remove dirt from the inside of the chain for the most part. I use simple green or purple power with chain cleaning roller. I know because when the chain is dry after the cleaning procedure, I shake the chain and it makes that metal to metal sound when those small rolling rings inside the chain shake.

Not only does it prolong chain life fairly significantly, but also cassette or freewheel life. Clean chain also makes pedaling more efficient.
Old 03-19-11, 06:46 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
Originally Posted by chado445510
Pristine? That's a bit much to ask.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 03-19-11, 06:59 PM
colombo357

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 12 Posts
Cleaning your bike constantly shows inexperience.

If you've been riding for a long time, eventually you'll get tired of it and stop doing it. And a year later, you'll find that cleaning your bike every weekend versus twice a year yields zero improvement in performance and component life.
Old 03-19-11, 07:01 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 971 Times in 794 Posts
I'll trade you a pristine for a somewhat clean, hows that?
Old 03-19-11, 07:06 PM
wrr1020

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I usually wipe the sides of the chain with an old rag after every couple of rides. Hate when the sides are gunked up and turn dark. I have ocd about having a clean drivetrain. I take off the cassette once a month, degrease and scrub. Chain is also cleaned. I usually re lube after 150-200 miles of riding.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.