Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

OK, let me get this straight Sram fans

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-13, 03:11 PM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts

So at my LBS today they tell me that yes, Sram Red is redesigned over the last year, and I tried the new Red shifters in the shop, and the Doubletap throw is much shorter, hopefully less annoying, I'd have to ride it. Three days on Sram Force in January was such utter fail for me that I couldn't wait to get back to Shimano. About half the people I talk to don't like doubletap, but I can see how if they make the throw snappier it could work. So far so good. But wait, Sram is about to release 11 speed. 'But I thought it already was 11 speed' I say to my LBS. 'Oh no, but they are going to release 11 speed in the next couple of months, it's currently 10 speed.'

This whole 11 speed arms race is kind of silly, it's actually keeping consumers from buying new bike stuff in some ways; I just went for a frame vs. a full bike because I don't want to render all my wheels non-interchangable between my bikes. I have a friend who is about to go Sram Red because Di2 is only available now in 11 speed, he doesn't want to buy last year's stuff. Telling His Holiness that his long time bike pal Don is going over to Sram is like hearing one of your trusted Cardinals is becoming a voodoo priest.

Now if they could come up with 11 speed that worked with the same spacing as 10 speed, they'd have something, but they don't, and they won't, and it's really rather confusing. Nor could they tell me if the new Red would be backwardsly compatible in such a manner, but they seemed to doubt it.

Between the Utter Fail of D.A. 7900 mechanical shifting and this whole 11 speed fiasco, it's even shaking my faith. But then I'm the same idiot who declared the Scott Foil, the Fail, and now I think it's the best bike I ever rode. In my defense they did improve the ride on the bike from all reports from the early frames, my new Foil felt great on the road today.

I do want to like Red components, they look very nice, they're light. I just have to see if I can live with the shifting. That being said, I do love Di2, I don't think saving 300 grams (or whatever it would be) could get me to make the leap. But the more component choices we have, the better.
Old 04-07-13, 03:18 PM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

No, I don't know what my point is.
Old 04-07-13, 03:25 PM
aramis

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by patentcad
So at my LBS today they tell me that yes, Sram Red is redesigned over the last year, and I tried the new Red shifters in the shop, and the Doubletap throw is much shorter, hopefully less annoying, I'd have to ride it. Three days on Sram Force in January was such utter fail for me that I couldn't wait to get back to Shimano. About half the people I talk to don't like doubletap, but I can see how if they make the throw snappier it could work. So far so good. But wait, Sram is about to release 11 speed. 'But I thought it already was 11 speed' I say to my LBS. 'Oh no, but they are going to release 11 speed in the next couple of months, it's currently 10 speed.'

This whole 11 speed arms race is kind of silly, it's actually keeping consumers from buying new bike stuff in some ways; I just went for a frame vs. a full bike because I don't want to render all my wheels non-interchangable between my bikes. I have a friend who is about to go Sram Red because Di2 is only available now in 11 speed, he doesn't want to buy last year's stuff. Telling His Holiness that his long time bike pal Don is going over to Sram is like hearing one of your trusted Cardinals is becoming a voodoo priest.

Now if they could come up with 11 speed that worked with the same spacing as 10 speed, they'd have something, but they don't, and they won't, and it's really rather confusing. Nor could they tell me if the new Red would be backwardsly compatible in such a manner, but they seemed to doubt it.

Between the Utter Fail of D.A. 7900 mechanical shifting and this whole 11 speed fiasco, it's even shaking my faith. But then I'm the same idiot who declared the Scott Foil, the Fail, and now I think it's the best bike I ever rode. In my defense they did improve the ride on the bike from all reports from the early frames, my new Foil felt great on the road today.

I do want to like Red components, they look very nice, they're light. I just have to see if I can live with the shifting. That being said, I do love Di2, I don't think saving 300 grams (or whatever it would be) could get me to make the leap. But the more component choices we have, the better.
I have a sram RIVAL bike, dura ace 7800 bike, an old tiagra 9 speed bike and even a di2 bike. I ride all of them and never think to myself, "wow this one is so much better than the other one" especially when I'm hurting on a climb. If any of them are dialed in they work great. If they're adjusted poorly they are a pain. Makes me think about the recent thread with the guy complaining of ghost shifting on a SRAM red setup, when I never have those problems even with an ancient tiagra setup.

I think too many bicyclist get overly caught up in having this years latest and greatest. If it has the gear range and it works well then it's probably fine for pretty much every one.

I'm about to sell 3 of my bikes and just have a couple and start riding more and obsessing over gear less, it might work better.
Old 04-07-13, 03:40 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
Originally Posted by aramis
I'm about to sell 3 of my bikes and just have a couple and start riding more and obsessing over gear less, it might work better.
That is so wrong I don't even know where to start. What part of N+1 indicates you should sell bikes? Obsessing over gear less? You might as well find a gardening message board to inhabit then, that dog don't hunt here.
Old 04-07-13, 03:45 PM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

I have a sram RIVAL bike, dura ace 7800 bike, an old tiagra 9 speed bike and even a di2 bike. I ride all of them and never think to myself, "wow this one is so much better than the other one" especially when I'm hurting on a climb.
It annoyed me even more than your post, and that's saying something right there.
Old 04-07-13, 03:46 PM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
You might as well find a gardening message board to inhabit then, that dog don't hunt here.
Righteously stated my son.
Old 04-07-13, 04:07 PM
WHOOOSSHHH...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You will never understand, so don't try. Clutter your bike up with that di2 garbage and spin yourself silly...
Old 04-07-13, 04:20 PM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

A note on backward compatible issue to educate the church a bit.
There will be backward compatibly with 11s wheelsets moving forward. The way Shimano addresses this is with a spacer on their longer 11s freehub. So if you buy a new Shimano 11s wheelset to say work with DA 9000 and lets say you decide to switch to new Red, you don't have to ditch your 11s wheels...just add a spacer and a 10s Shimano cassette. Further 11s is pretty much the future for all groupset mfr's though I don't ride it yet and have no plans to in the immediate future. The biggest disconnect of course is the difference between Campy and Shimano wheelsets which still exists..not only with 10s but with 11s....Campy commonizes 10 and 11s on the same freehub because they had bigger spacing with 10s to begin with. Shimano basically ran out of room with their 10s and so had to increase the rear wheel dish and release a longer free hub to accomodate their 11s spacing.

PS: my advice to all that want to run Sram or Shimano moving forward...even if sticking with 10s for the current time...if you need a new wheelset, make sure you get the new Shimano 11s spec aka rear hub. That way if you ever do decide to upgrade to 11s...say even current Di2 10s owners who end up tweaking the electronics to index 10 x's i.e. 11s in future as this hack becomes available...with 11s Shimano wheels, you can run them 11s or 10s with a spacer in back.

Last edited by Campag4life; 04-07-13 at 04:28 PM.
Old 04-07-13, 04:47 PM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

Originally Posted by Campag4life
There will be backward compatibly with 11s wheelsets moving forward. The way Shimano addresses this is with a spacer on their longer 11s freehub. So if you buy a new Shimano 11s wheelset to say work with DA 9000 and lets say you decide to switch to new Red, you don't have to ditch your 11s wheels...just add a spacer and a 10s Shimano cassette. Further 11s is pretty much the future for all groupset mfr's though I don't ride it yet and have no plans to in the immediate future. The biggest disconnect of course is the difference between Campy and Shimano wheelsets which still exists..not only with 10s but with 11s....Campy commonizes 10 and 11s on the same freehub because they had bigger spacing with 10s to begin with. Shimano basically ran out of room with their 10s and so had to increase the rear wheel dish and release a longer free hub to accomodate their 11s spacing.

PS: my advice to all that want to run Sram or Shimano moving forward...even if sticking with 10s for the current time...if you need a new wheelset, make sure you get the new Shimano 11s spec aka rear hub. That way if you ever do decide to upgrade to 11s...say even current Di2 10s owners who end up tweaking the electronics to index 10 x's i.e. 11s in future as this hack becomes available...with 11s Shimano wheels, you can run them 11s or 10s with a spacer in back.
Your technical expertise frightens and confuses me.

I will say a Mass for you my son.
Old 04-07-13, 04:56 PM
ls01
he said member

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2789 Post(s)
Liked 1,950 Times in 1,206 Posts

How does this fix his 10 speed hubbed wheels to work with 11 speed?
Old 04-07-13, 05:05 PM
ls01
he said member

If you are patient Immenseness, I am sure that Sram will not only come out with 11 speed, but will come out with an electronic version also. Then you can lament about that.
Yes Red throws are slightly shorter, I have Force on another bike and can hardly tell a difference. The big difference with the new Red is the front derailleur,The new Red Yaw derailleur, has no trim position on the shifter . Because it isnt needed. You can run the entire cassette in either large or small ring with 0 rub in the front derailleur. So while di2 self trims, red doesnt need to trim. I like the Yaw derailleur so much that I replaced the brand new red black front derailleur on the Force bike with the new yaw Red derailleur. Even with a Force shifter it works perfectly and again no rub in either ring.
Old 04-07-13, 05:09 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by ls01
How does this fix his 10 speed hubbed wheels to work with 11 speed?
It doesn't. It allows NEW wheels purchased to be compatible either way, if he upgrades in the future.
Old 04-07-13, 05:11 PM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3372 Post(s)
Liked 5,494 Times in 2,846 Posts
Campy commonizes 10 and 11s on the same freehub because they had bigger spacing with 10s to begin with. Shimano basically ran out of room with their 10s and so had to increase the rear wheel dish and release a longer free hub to accomodate their 11s spacing.
Oh, swell; So Shimano now has DS/NDS tension differences as bad as Campy. It is long overdue to move to 135mm mtn spacing on road, or even better, just jump straight to 145mm tandem spacing.
Old 04-07-13, 05:11 PM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
It doesn't. It allows NEW wheels purchased to be compatible either way, if he upgrades in the future.
+1
Old 04-07-13, 05:14 PM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Shimagnolo
Oh, swell; So Shimano now has DS/NDS tension differences as bad as Campy. It is long overdue to move to 135mm mtn spacing on road, or even better, just jump straight to 145mm tandem spacing.
Yeah...they really do play off each other...interesting game of cat and mouse.
Shimano historically had less dish than Campy and now 'I believe' the dish is a bit more than Campy in back setting upthe DS/NDS tension issue you say. There has been a lot of speculation about 135mm coming and believe it will..wider cassettes and disk brakes being two of the driving factors.
Old 04-07-13, 05:17 PM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
If you are patient Immenseness, I am sure that Sram will not only come out with 11 speed, but will come out with an electronic version also. Then you can lament about that.
Yes Red throws are slightly shorter, I have Force on another bike and can hardly tell a difference. The big difference with the new Red is the front derailleur,The new Red Yaw derailleur, has no trim position on the shifter . Because it isnt needed. You can run the entire cassette in either large or small ring with 0 rub in the front derailleur. So while di2 self trims, red doesnt need to trim. I like the Yaw derailleur so much that I replaced the brand new red black front derailleur on the Force bike with the new yaw Red derailleur. Even with a Force shifter it works perfectly and again no rub in either ring.
For all intents, DA 7900 didn't have to trim in front either. Also DA 9000 is even better and arguably best in class for mechanical shifting in front.
Old 04-07-13, 05:18 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

See, I like the doubletap mechanism, I just don't like how bad the front shifting is. That, too, is claimed to be better now, but I already have 5700 installed to replace my old Rival. What I REALLY want is 11-speed Ui2 (or Force electronic...) because, frankly, I'm more comfortable working with electrical cables than mechanical cable tension. Much less fussy. What's another charger, anyway? I'll put it next to my Forerunner, Edge, cell phone, toothbrush, my cell charger for the other room, my three laptop chargers...

Pfah, I just wish they'd make it microUSB. Or is it?
Old 04-07-13, 05:19 PM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Your technical expertise frightens and confuses me.

I will say a Mass for you my son.
I need it.
See ya in hell my holiness.
Old 04-07-13, 05:20 PM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3372 Post(s)
Liked 5,494 Times in 2,846 Posts
Yeah...they really do play off each other...interesting game of cat and mouse.
Shimano historically had less dish than Campy and now 'I believe' the dish is a bit more than Campy in back setting upthe DS/NDS tension issue you say. There has been a lot of speculation about 135mm coming and believe it will..wider cassettes and disk brakes being two of the driving factors.
I have 2 bikes with Shimano 10s, and one with Campy 10s. According to spokecalc.xls, the NDS on the Campy would have been only 44% of DS tension, but I built the wheel with an Aerohead O/C (4mm offset) rim, thereby bringing the NDS up to 66%.
Old 04-07-13, 05:26 PM
ls01
he said member

For all intents, DA 7900 didn't have to trim in front either. Also DA 9000 is even better and arguably best in class for mechanical shifting in front.

If d/a 7900 doesnt need to be trimmed, then why all the hoopla over the electronic system self trimming feature? does the 9000 still have the detent in the shifter for trim?
Old 04-07-13, 05:32 PM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
I have 2 bikes with Shimano 10s, and one with Campy 10s. According to spokecalc.xls, the NDS on the Campy would have been only 44% of DS tension, but I built the wheel with an Aerohead O/C (4mm offset) rim, thereby bringing the NDS up to 66%.
I am behind in you the wheel building category but am considering stepping up a bit. I in fact ordered a Park TS-2.2 today...and will pick up some other stuff shortly. Thanks
Old 04-07-13, 05:32 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Dumb question, but why isn't 2:1 lacing more popular?
Old 04-07-13, 05:37 PM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
If d/a 7900 doesnt need to be trimmed, then why all the hoopla over the electronic system self trimming feature? does the 9000 still have the detent in the shifter for trim?
I owned 7900 briefly as an experiment and it really didn't need to be trimmed as is often reported. DA 7900 was touted as 0 trim and word on the street is DA 9000 is fantastic in all respects. In other words, Shimano finally took the time to give DA 7800 a worthy successor. I don't believe DA 9000 has a detent, but I could be wrong about that...haven't owned it. Perhaps others will weigh in.

As to the improvement in shifting of Di2...everybody that has lived with it, say it is true. Even though you maybe able to 'get by' without trimming the front derailleur on mechanical groupsets, with E shifting, the front derailleur moves as you traverse the cassette in back....which is clearly better than any non trim mech front derailleur. Also, Campy mechanical groupsets I have ridden do require a touch up trim in front....my experience. To me, this isn't a big deal either way.

Last edited by Campag4life; 04-07-13 at 05:41 PM.
Old 04-07-13, 05:52 PM
rangerdavid

Bikes: 2009 Cannondale CAAD9-6 2014 Trek Domaine 5.9

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No, I don't know what my point is.

A point is not required, this is the 41.

that being said, if you haven't tried the new Red with Ergo shifters and yaw FD, you haven't tried the new Red. I just love mine, and left shimano for it. I did not, however, have the Di2 group. I can't imagine anything that shifts faster, or more emphatical when it hits the gear. I just love it.
Old 04-07-13, 06:04 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
. . . If any of them are dialed in they work great. If they're adjusted poorly they are a pain. . .
That's the beauty of Di2. No need for dialing. No need for adjusting.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.