Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

So are the days of our lives...

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

So are the days of our lives...

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-16, 09:11 PM
abhirama

Bikes: Canyon Aeroad, Ridley Fenix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Got new shoes a week or so back. Identical to my old shoes. The cleat placement is also exactly the same. Yet, it feels strangely different.
Old 02-24-16, 10:20 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by Flatballer
I picked 1000 MW because it was a round number. Duke Energy has a few pumped storage hydro facilities that are in the 800 MW range, so 1000 MW isn't crazy high for something like this.
Shouldn't this be in the training with power thread?
Old 02-25-16, 05:12 AM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
Originally Posted by carpediemracing
Was that when Nitz placed top whatever, like 5th? I think Dave Geissert got 10th there, first "local" amateur rider to place, based on Nitz being Mengoni?

Back then Mengoni was a powerhouse team. Bauer I think raced for them at one point, Lemond?, Matt Eaton, other top top top top US riders.
I wasn't thinking of a particular race.
Yes, Mengoni had a good squad. One of my first RR as a cat 2, we're in a break of 10 guys or so, and 1 guy just rockets off the front. I say "who's that?" ....... reply, "Steve Bauer".

I could have raced and trained a bit smarter back then, but doubt it would have made much difference.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 02-25-16, 08:51 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
Originally Posted by himespau
Every winter my office is usually 75+ and I often end up sweating. In the summers, they keep it below 65 (often below 60), so I have a stack of sweaters of varying thickness and color that I keep around for summertime. At least in the winter I can open the windows to cool the place off. Come summer that lets too many bugs in (no screens). Ultraefficient use of energy by a university struggling with financial issues and facing another 10% cut in state funding.
Do we work for the same university? (Though our latest projections indicate a closer to 70 percent cut in federal funding.)

Of course, our A/C didn't work for a few years. They just ran a hose up to the roof and let it run constantly to try to coo down the compressor. For those years, I frequently wore shorts and flip flops to work. The A/C was replaced last year, and then I started having to wear a sweater in the summer.
Old 02-25-16, 05:43 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2613 Post(s)
Liked 3,129 Times in 1,645 Posts
troubleshooting this ICP-MS makes me wanna pull my hair out sometimes...
Old 02-25-16, 06:08 PM
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by TMonk
troubleshooting this ICP-MS makes me wanna pull my hair out sometimes...
what's the problem?
Old 02-25-16, 06:14 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Unstable signal due to a Sample Introduction System issue. Those are always the most fun to troubleshoot - it could be a length of tubing here, a fitting there... Between the nebulizer and the autosampler a lot is going on.

Fortunately I just figured it out a few minutes ago, it was a plastic tubing fitting that connects inlet tubing to the nebulizer. Running samples now, finally!
Old 02-25-16, 06:20 PM
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits

Good job. Way too many people jump to blaming hardware and tune settings when it's usually something simple like peripump tubing etc.
Old 02-25-16, 06:48 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Yep, it's always best to start from the bottom up with these kinds of problems, even though it's super annoying .
Old 02-26-16, 05:31 AM
spectastic
commu*ist spy

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by TMonk
Unstable signal due to a Sample Introduction System issue. Those are always the most fun to troubleshoot - it could be a length of tubing here, a fitting there... Between the nebulizer and the autosampler a lot is going on.

Fortunately I just figured it out a few minutes ago, it was a plastic tubing fitting that connects inlet tubing to the nebulizer. Running samples now, finally!
What samples?
Old 02-26-16, 08:05 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4224 Post(s)
Liked 2,944 Times in 1,803 Posts
So I had a student who is not enrolled in my class show up and take my test yesterday. She took the class last year (and did very poorly), but isn't registered this year. I kind of recognized her and thought she must just be one of my "show up only for the test" students. Can't figure out why she'd show up for a test she wasn't enrolled in (and put her own name on the form). Given that she (and her twin sister) had very roving eyes last year, I sort of suspect something is up, but can't figure out what scam it would be. Any ideas?

Old 02-26-16, 09:09 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Originally Posted by spectastic
What samples?
Most of it was internal product QC and R&D characterization of noble metal and metal oxide nanoparticles. Gold, silver, cuprous oxide and some magnetite. I also ran some samples for an outside customer that I am collaborating with that I can't discuss because of NDA/CDA.

Last edited by TMonk; 02-26-16 at 09:13 AM.
Old 02-26-16, 09:58 AM
Flatballer
No matches

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 250 Posts
So I had a student who is not enrolled in my class show up and take my test yesterday. She took the class last year (and did very poorly), but isn't registered this year. I kind of recognized her and thought she must just be one of my "show up only for the test" students. Can't figure out why she'd show up for a test she wasn't enrolled in (and put her own name on the form). Given that she (and her twin sister) had very roving eyes last year, I sort of suspect something is up, but can't figure out what scam it would be. Any ideas?
My first thought is to see if you're recyling tests. If so, she'll sign up next semester, having memorized this test, and perhaps a few more later in the semester, and ace them. If not, she'll go get that credit elsewhere. Without having signed up, it costs her nothing but a few hours to take the test. That's about all I can come up with, and it's pretty weak to be honest.
Old 02-26-16, 10:32 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4224 Post(s)
Liked 2,944 Times in 1,803 Posts
Originally Posted by Flatballer
My first thought is to see if you're recycling tests. If so, she'll sign up next semester, having memorized this test, and perhaps a few more later in the semester, and ace them. If not, she'll go get that credit elsewhere. Without having signed up, it costs her nothing but a few hours to take the test. That's about all I can come up with, and it's pretty weak to be honest.
That is a good thought. Since the same person appears to have done this for a number of other classes, I'm starting to wonder if it's a psychological issue. Especially when trying to sign up for make up tests for tests you didn't miss because you weren't enrolled in the class. The thing is, I never give back tests because, when I was an undergrad, I knew folks in fraternities with files of tests going back decades and I don't want to put my non-fraternity students at a disadvantage.

Old 02-26-16, 11:32 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
That is a good thought. Since the same person appears to have done this for a number of other classes, I'm starting to wonder if it's a psychological issue. Especially when trying to sign up for make up tests for tests you didn't miss because you weren't enrolled in the class. The thing is, I never give back tests because, when I was an undergrad, I knew folks in fraternities with files of tests going back decades and I don't want to put my non-fraternity students at a disadvantage.
My college did not have fraternities or sororities. Still, I found people who had previously taken the class and who shared old quizzes and tests with me. For one class in particular, the only way to do better than a C was to have a copy of the test before hand. That particular professor liked to provide "Choose the BEST answer" exams, in which two or three of the choices were correct, but one was a better answer than the others. He would also randomly ask questions from chapters not yet covered to see if anyone had read ahead.
Old 02-26-16, 11:45 AM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by topflightpro
My college did not have fraternities or sororities. Still, I found people who had previously taken the class and who shared old quizzes and tests with me. For one class in particular, the only way to do better than a C was to have a copy of the test before hand. That particular professor liked to provide "Choose the BEST answer" exams, in which two or three of the choices were correct, but one was a better answer than the others. He would also randomly ask questions from chapters not yet covered to see if anyone had read ahead.
Is that a bad thing ??

Old 02-26-16, 11:56 AM
wens

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Homebrew01
Is that a bad thing ??
If they're taken for credit? Yes.

ETA: the athlete hook up for me was much better than any of the fraternity/sorority hook ups I knew of. Not anything with the University, but more older teammates in my major, and more access to them since I saw them at practice every day, and maybe multiple times per day.
Old 02-26-16, 12:45 PM
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits

The chem student association had filling cabinets full of old exams you could photocopy. In most cases they weren't super helpful. Except for quantum chem where every question was recycled.... funny thing is that prof handed out practice exams directly and straight out told you the questions would be similar.
Old 02-26-16, 01:07 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 250 Posts
Is that a bad thing ??
Yeah, it kind of is. Testing people on material you haven't asked them to cover yet is kind of mean. Many college textbooks have multiple chapters that never get covered in the curriculum due to time constraints or just not being important in the professor's opinion. So reading ahead is kind of a waste of time since you might not cover it anyway. Yes, knowledge is the whole idea of college, whatever, but ain't nobody got time for that in most programs.
Old 02-26-16, 02:20 PM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
There are few things better than removing your chain, spinning the crank, and watching it go round and round and round.
Old 02-26-16, 02:22 PM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
And the rear derailleur pulley bearings too! Ugh so happy...
Old 02-26-16, 04:33 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by wens
If they're taken for credit? Yes.

ETA: the athlete hook up for me was much better than any of the fraternity/sorority hook ups I knew of. Not anything with the University, but more older teammates in my major, and more access to them since I saw them at practice every day, and maybe multiple times per day.
I meant is it bad to read ahead. Stupid to test on it.

Old 02-26-16, 05:36 PM
wens

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I meant is it bad to read ahead. Stupid to test on it.
Ah. That's a time management question!
Old 02-26-16, 06:21 PM
hack

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by TheKillerPenguin
There are few things better than removing your chain, spinning the crank, and watching it go round and round and round.
mine spin like one or two times ... I should look into it
Old 02-26-16, 06:39 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by hack
mine spin like one or two times ... I should look into it
yeah... I should probably also do that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.